Start by marking “The Little Little Girl with the Big Big Voice” as Want to Read:
The Little Little Girl with the Big Big Voice

The Little Little Girl with the Big Big Voice

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  212 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
There once was a little, little girl... with a BIG, BIG voice.
One day she went to find someone to play with.

In this vibrantly illustrated picture book, one loud little girl looks for a friend to play with. She searches the jungle high and low for a pal but her BIG voice scares all the animals away! One by one, an elephant, a snake and a croc quickly retreat away from her
Published June 14th 2011 by Little Simon

To ask other readers questions about The Little Little Girl with the Big Big Voice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Little Girl with the Big Big Voice

Shannon
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked the way this book ended. All too often adults take away kids' voices, especially when those children are girls. But in this book the little girl just keeps going along with her big voice until she finds a friend who can handle her, and has a big voice of its own. Also, extra points for representation of people of color in picture books!
Mckinley
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, heroine
Fun
Kelly
Sep 26, 2017 rated it liked it
A little girl has a big voice, and it doesn't go over well with the animals she encounters...except for one.

Nice enough. Entertaining for little ones.
Genevie Rodríguez-Quiñones
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I would definitely use this text to show younger students the relationships between characters and the changes they undergo.
Rebecca Tversky
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Good build up and progression with an abrupt ending. Worth a single read but not multiples.
Shazzer
Nov 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
As posted on Outside of a Dog:

Little children like it when I'm loud. They find it particularly funny for some reason. I consider myself to be a relatively quiet person by nature, reserved (except where kids are concerned), so there must be something funny about me stepping out and letting my voice be heard. Now I'm not talking about my normal, voice-carries-through-a-crowd voice for storytimes, but extra special, super loud explosions. I tend to gravitate towards books that allow me to stretch m
Tasha
Apr 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A little, little girl has a very loud voice. She heads out looking for a friend to play with. She searches the jungle, but her big voice scares the animals away. First, an elephant run, then a snake, then a crocodile! It’s not until she meets a very loud and very large lion and isn’t scared by his roar, that she makes a friend.

Balouch has created a book that is bright, funny and loud. Her text is simple and easily read aloud, loudly. It has a rhythm that is natural and easy as well as a strong
Joy
Aug 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
First, I must admit that I checked this out to read with my two-year-old daughter because she is a little, little girl with a BIG, BIG voice. I couldn't resist the title! This book is funny, bright, loud, and delightful to read aloud. The illustrations are bold with colors of citrus, lime, and hot pink, and bold with a graphic, swirling, joyful style. I loved how the animals and the little girl were happy playing until she frightened them with her big voice and enthusiastic personality. Happily, ...more
Amy Forrester
The bright, bold colors are just irresistible. This tiny girl has a big voice, so big that she scares away all the animals she tries to befriend. That is until she meets a lion with a roar as big as her voice. I like that the story is about a child who finds happiness by being her unique self. She doesn’t, not even for a second, think about changing to get others to like her.

Full Review at Picture-Book-a-Day: http://picturebookaday.blogspot.com/2...
Bridget R. Wilson
A small girl with a humongous voice scares away all the animals she meets until she meets lion. He is as loud as she is. Together they enjoy the day.

What I thought: A lovely story with simple text. Children will enjoy guessing what animal comes next. I like the illustrations--so colorful and no lines. My favorite illustrations are the elephant, blowing bubbles, and the girl and lion laughing together.

Story Time Themes: Animals, Loud Noises (pair with The Loud Book)

Mary
Jan 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
A good book for preschool storytime. A little girl with a big big voice is looking for a friend, but something keeps scaring potential friends away. Finally she meets an animal that can rival her voice and they become friends. Kids will enjoy telling you what is frightening the animals even though it does not say it in the book. The pictures are very bright and somewhat unusual, using mostly pinks, greens, and oranges.
Alexandria
Jun 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
As the wife of someone who is routinely referred to as "the loud one", this book is going to be read to my kids at some point. It illustrates both the off-putting effect that being loud all the time can have on people who aren't comfortable with being loud, while also demonstrating that you can always find friends who like you just the way you are.
Jane G Meyer
Nov 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A silly, bright and easy-to-read book about a loud little girl who scares everyone away because of her boisterous nature. Finally, she finds a lion, who can match her zeal for noise and they become friends. Since I have a very loud and boisterous daughter, I found this book fitting.

She would have LOVED this when she was a munchkin.
Lauren
Feb 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
The story here is not especially riveting as the little girl scares each animal away until the lion roars back. Then she and the lion play. There isn't much to be taken from that. However, the illustrations are colorful and dynamic and would appeal to preschoolers. Her voice is visually represented in bright concentric circles and the animals are exciting to look at.
Molly
Nov 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
I wish the words she says loudly were words besides "something." The kids don't understand when I read it out loud- why am I saying the word "something" loudly? They just don't make the connection that it's her voice. Even when prompted. I don't know. The idea is good and the colors are nice. Just didn't work at story time.
Emelda
May 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Of course this was a huge hit when read aloud!

But seriously, I found this in a free box and all the kids I've read it to love it. And I love that it stars a little black girl. I realized of late a lot of our books with black characters were of political struggle, or at least mentioned it. While super important, so is just normalizing black children in books.
Tricia
Aug 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
What joy this title brought to my audience while reading...a little girl's voice is much bigger than she--and each animal she encounters is frightened away. Until...she finds the perfect animal friend who enjoys her big voice. This is a potentially fun readaloud with audience participation during the big voice pages.
Swannanoa Library
Aug 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
Am I becoming a curmudgeon? This book to me should have been about the dangers of an extremely loud and obnoxious child who gets a comeuppance when the crocodile/lion/snake eat her to quiet her down. I bought it for Swannanoa based on the reviews. Sad to say, I wish I hadn't.
Zoe Hiilani
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It was amazing!

I like the page where she moves and I like her pink bow and I like her green bow too.

(She means the page where the lion is looking at her and the girl's mouth is a round pink circle.)
Megan
Jul 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: toddler-preschool
A little girl's voice frightens away some of the scariest animals--an elephant, a snake, and a crocodile. Yet when the lion hears her voice, he roars back. Luckily the little girl is not afraid; in fact, she realizes she has a new friend!
Brianna
Jul 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Very charming. I love it when a little girl doesn't have to be told to be quiet!

Full review forthcoming at: http://slatebreakers.com/2011/09/29/r...
Amanda
Feb 01, 2013 rated it liked it
We really enjoyed this short and sweet story. The only reason for not rating it higher was because I hoped there would be a moral about trying to be quiet- instead of just making a friend to be louder with. :)
Mary
Jan 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: print-awareness
The little girl with the big voice manages to scare away all the animals - including an elephant, snake and crocodile - until she finds an animal who can be just as loud. Vibrant illustrations filled with movement.
Meghan Hunt
Apr 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: jp-picture-books
I love the loud color scheme of the illustrations. I think that it helps depict the loud nature of the little girl.
Hope
Feb 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
We enjoyed this book. The illustrations were quite good. Vibrant, bold colors to match the personality of the little girl in the story. A fun read.
Edward Sullivan
May 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Colorful, fun, good for reading aloud.
Justin Guardiani
Dec 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Cute book with simple, fun and colorful imagery. You felt yourself kinda of sway with the book as you read it to your child.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Apr 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Fun story about a little girl who goes out to play and who she finds as the perfect playmate.
Liz
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mitten
Tracie
Sep 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture_books
A loud little girl befriends a lion with an equally loud ROAR.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Farmyard Beat
  • No Sleep for the Sheep!
  • Smitten
  • A Dog Is a Dog
  • Tony Baloney
  • Square Cat
  • All the Way to America: The Story of a Big Italian Family and a Little Shovel
  • Snow Rabbit, Spring Rabbit: A Book of Changing Seasons
  • How Do You Hug a Porcupine?
  • Lola Loves Stories