Start by marking “The Case of the Restless Redhead (Perry Mason mystery)” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Restless Redhead (Perry Mason mystery)

The Case of the Restless Redhead

(Perry Mason #45)

Evelyn Bagby has ambition, bad luck – and red hair. When she is caught with stolen diamonds is looks like an airtight case. But Perry Mason believes she has been set up. Then comes news of another crime and Mason finds the charge against his client is murder.
Published September 24th 2010 by House of Stratus (first published January 1st 1954)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Restless Redhead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Restless Redhead

Start your review of The Case of the Restless Redhead (Perry Mason mystery)
Evgeny
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
No good deed ever goes unpunished. Perry Mason kept forgetting about this simple truth and as a result kept getting in the same trap over and over. This time he ended up in a courtroom following the proceedings of a case with which he has nothing in common. A redheaded woman was accused of a theft of valuable jewels.
Redhead
She was assigned a young inexperienced public defender with her being as poor as a church mouse.
Church mouse

The young guy was badly losing to prosecution due to his complete lack of experience
Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore
What begins with Mason helping out a young attorney with his cross-examination skills in defending a young waitress framed for jewel theft turns much more complicated when soon after, she finds herself framed for murder. Though Mason’s client in this one seems much more straightforward than some others he’s defended, the other players have much to hide. The evidence is already rather complicated and the fact that everyone (not the actual culprit alone) is trying to hide something adds further tw ...more
Lisa
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another excellent Perry Mason mystery / legal drama.

I won't go into the plot (but it is a really good one), suffice to say it is full of old-style charm, cunning tactics and flamboyant characters.

So glad I've still got plenty of these dramas left to enjoy!
E
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel was the basis for the first Perry Mason episode ever aired (S1E1, not the pilot), so you know it's going to be good. This is the famous case with the identical guns and Perry using one to add extra bullet holes to the murder scene (forcing the authorities to realize that guns had been switched, although, as it turns out, not by the guilty parties, and thus unnecessary, although quite helpful to Perry's case). In fact, the stuff with the guns is all a red herring; something the defenda ...more
Genevieve
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
A little too drawn out and I nearly got lost by the end; I've read better from Gardner.
Kieran McAndrew
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An aspiring actress is accused of theft and her court appointed attorney finds himself working alongside Perry Mason. Freeing her from her theft charge, Mason and Neery find they are soon called on again: to defend their client against a murder charge!

Gardner's tight plotting means that his short novels still feel rich and full of detail.
Richa
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the more interesting cases. Especially, since it starts with a cross-examination and has a nice helpful portion where Gardner has given a tip for young lawyers.
This case has all the elements that can keep a reader gripped - glamour, star struck struggler, murder, truimph of good, and lastly, a gripping trial in the court of law.
পাঠক
The general standard of Perry Masons is remarkably high, gathering from the other two I have read before. Its an okay one.

I had the feeling the women in it were being sold a little, though, in it and I guess in other Perry Masons. Well, they are selling murders anyway, and that's why we bought 'em and read 'em. The faintest of sex (ualization of women) goes with it I guess.

The tone and language is a bit pointedly informal, a bit silly.

Entertaining entertainment.
Sharanne
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recently I learned that before there was a television series, Perry Mason movies were made in the 30s. Then I discovered that it all started with a book series, with the first book released in 1933. So, I went to my library, where there were a couple of titles. This quick read was entertaining.
Lauren
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
The amount of info on the clues sometimes left my head spinning, but overall a fun and engaging read!
Cathy Houston
Sep 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommended to Cathy by: catwoho@aol.com
Perry teaches a young lawyer how to defend his client
Bailey Marissa
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, read-in-2k17
(3.8)

There's a lot of lawyer talk but it's really interesting. Also, there's some Della/Perry but it's only hinted at.

Recommended 12+ for murder and language
Serena
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
My Rating System:
Ed
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: legal, mystery
#45 in the Perry Mason series. For once Perry has a client who doesn't disregard his instructions to keep her mouth shut; in fact, Perry instructs her to tell the police and reporters everything she knows, over and over. Mason sails close to the wind in manufacturing evidence after the fact that he knows Sgt. Holcomb will swear he discovered sooner than was possible. Preliminary hearing pyrotechnics eventually embarrass DA Burger but getting there is all the fun in this above average series entr ...more
False
Not one of my favorites. The usual mishmash of who shot who, when and where. Drawn out courtroom scenes. Hysteronics. Since learning that Gardner dictated his books into a machine, and seemed to have control over the degree of editing his work, you can't help but wish for an editor with a sharp blue pencil. So much needless repetition of information and long drawn-out speech. Gardner should have been his own editor, as many of the best writers were and are. The "Restless Redhead" herself drops o ...more
Stven
Jun 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one has a particularly memorable opening with Perry Mason visiting a courtroom where he winds up advising a young attorney on cross-examination techniques. Not my favorite way to end one of his stories, though.
Les Anderson
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Definitely one of the better Perry Mason novels. Things move quickly in the courtroom here but Mason really shows his ability. The addition of a young, small-town lawyer learning from Mason really gave insight into some of Mason's tactics.
Ellen Oberkotter
Jul 23, 2014 rated it liked it
More confusing than most of his books - and Mason steps way over the legal line at one point. Still, I always enjoy Gardner's books, as much for the glimpse of the world of the 1940s as for the story.
Dyah Subagyo
May 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime
Well, usually Perry Mason skirted on the edge of lawful and unlawful. This time, I feel that he has fallen over that edge.
So, three stars. I understand that his deed helps solving the case, but still, it's a wrong deed.
Kate
Jul 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
For my full review click on my link below:
Rijo John
Dec 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Nice mystery and lots of complications only to be unravelled at the end
Samantha
Apr 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Not bad... not great either. Okay to read.
4cats
Apr 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
√√ for Perry Mason, good fun read.
Scott Rombokas
Gieliza
Nov 19, 2014
Anirban
Sep 25, 2013

• The Last Trial  (Kindle County Legal Thriller #11)
  • QB: My Life Behind the Spiral
  • Independence Day: Resurgence: The Official Movie Novelization
  • The Woman in the Water (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #0.1)
  • Pacific Rim: Tales From Year Zero
  • On Desperate Ground: The Marines at The Reservoir, the Korean War's Greatest Battle
  • Frederick the Great: King of Prussia
  • Dances with Wolves (Dances with Wolves, #1)
  • Minoans: Life in Bronze Age Crete
  • Into the Fire: A Firsthand Account of the Most Extraordinary Battle in the Afghan War
  • Dirty Blonde
  • Obedience to Authority
  • Heart of Darkness and The Secret Sharer
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • Everything in Its Path
  • The Red Pavilion
  • Long Day's Journey into Night
  • Sumer: Cities of Eden

Perry Mason (1 - 10 of 85 books)
  • The Case of the Velvet Claws
  • The Case of the Sulky Girl
  • The Case of the Lucky Legs
  • The Case of the Howling Dog
  • The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Counterfeit Eye