Start by marking “The Case of the Amorous Aunt (Perry Mason, #69)” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Amorous Aunt (Perry Mason, #69)

The Case of the Amorous Aunt

(Perry Mason #69)

From Massachusetts, rich Lorraine Elmore elopes with eye-patch swindler Montrose Dewitt to Arizona, where she sees him bludgeoned to death in the desert, but he dies in a motel bed from her sleeping medicine in his whisky bottle and icepick wounds. Suspicious niece Linda Calhoun, urged by law student fiancé George Latty hires California lawyer Perry Mason.
Published March 2nd 1994 by Fawcett (first published January 1st 1963)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Amorous Aunt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Amorous Aunt

Start your review of The Case of the Amorous Aunt (Perry Mason, #69)
Evgeny
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
“You don’t need me,” Mason said. “There’s nothing connected with the case that has any legal angles. You don’t contend that your aunt is unable to manage her own affairs, that she’s mentally unsound?”

“Certainly not. She’s simply at a dangerous age and she’s in love.”

Mason smiled and said, “Whenever a person falls in love it’s automatically a dangerous age."

From the quote above it can be seen that Mason became a philosopher; a sure sign of maturity. A young couple came to Mason's office with a sa
Crime Addict Sifat
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Too much Hunki-punkie in introduction as well as in the middle. Too much irrelevant talk is been talked.
Dave
Perry Mason Solves The Case

Written late in the Perry Mason series, book 69 out of 80, The Case of the Amorous Lover, showcases the wit and wisdom of everyone's favorite lawyer, Perry Mason. It's fun how Mason takes charge of an investigation even when he initially thinks there's not much to it.
Tony Boskovich
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is perhaps the best Perry Mason novel to date; it was published in 1964. It certainly is on a par with the the usually acknowledged best, The Case of the Howling Dog, published in the '30s. Here, the exposition of the case is patient, thorough, and spellbinding. There are several different threads, and the investigation techniques are as plausible today as they were then. The confrontation with the Imperial County is priceless, and, once in court, Mason's delegation to his young co-counsel ...more
Rajan
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: none
Recommended to Rajan by: richa
This is a tedious read. The narrative is convoluted. I did not like very much.

Some excerpts :

Della Street, Perry Mason’s confidential secretary, said, “A couple of lovebirds have strayed into the office without an appointment. They insist it’s a matter of life and death.”

“Everything is,” Mason said. “If you start with the idea of perpetuating life, you must accept the inevitable corollary of death—but I presume these people aren’t interested in my philosophical ideas.”
Richa
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the juicier cases. Enjoyed this book immensely! This is one case where Mason meets a worthy opponent and beats him on par! The end does not seem all-too-convenient either. A fast-paced, crunchy mystery.
Bob
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I've been reading Gardner's Perry Mason books off and on for many years. Those who are used to really fine mystery writers (in the literary sense), such as Ross Macdonald, may find the writing style here a bit dry. Nonetheless, I still love the general setting: the fast pace, the characters of Perry, Della, Paul, Lt. Tragg, and Hamilton Berger. That, and the ingenious plots, are why I read Perry Mason.

On the whole, the ones written by about 1953 are the best. This is one of the later ones, writt
Ed
Dec 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: legal, mystery
#71 in the Perry Mason series. Perry, secretary Della Street and detective Paul Drake fly to Arizona to head off Lorraine Elmore, who is apparently heading to Yuma with con man Montrose DeWitt and thoughts of matrimony. Lorraine's niece has hired Perry check on DeWitt her aunt but when DeWitt is murdered and Lorraine is arrested, Lorraine becomes the client. Imperial Valley DA Marshall is determined to build his reputation as the small town victor over the big city legal expert.

Perry Mason serie
Tony Piazza
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable Read

Erle Stanley Gardner delivers again. A Perry Mason case complete with all the trimmings. A damsel ( or two ) in distress, a questionable suitor, and the promise of money- lots of money - which naturally adds up to murder. Perry sorts out all the twists and turns in the end, and with his expected sharp wit makes a monkey once again out of an over eager Prosecutor. Great escapism reading, with the satisfaction that justice wills out in the end.
Freya
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
This was a good one with Perry trying up with another young blood lawyer. I didn't see the end coming.
James Vest
Jan 06, 2018 rated it liked it
One of the more telling Perry Mason books I’ve read. The first where I consistently had the idea of what was going to happen next throughout.
Carol/Bonadie
Aug 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Someone on the M/T board gave me the idea to try this series out, the source of the beloved (by me) TV series of the ‘60s. Perry, Della Street and Paul Drake join forces to sort out whether the aunt of a client is being defrauded by an amorous beau, and naturally murder appears along the way given them even more to explore. The story is definitely of its time when it comes to attitudes toward women, but still chock full of mystery and legal drama. I enjoyed it and will read more.
Buddy Don
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
I've long been a fan of mystery novels, though this is the first Erle Stanely Gardner I've ever read, knowing the famours lawyer exclusively via the television program. I must say the novel itself is even more satisfying, though Raymond Burr was born to play Perry Mason. This particular mystery was notable for showing Mason in the role of mentor to a younger attorney.
Michael McManus
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another first rate case from the Case Files of Perry Mason. The Case of the Amorous Aunt is another spellbinding story that has a lot of twists and turns along the way. The courtroom scene yet again shows Perry's skill at defence. Not only does he get the murderer and a thief but he makes the prosecution squirm. A great read and I'm now waiting for my next Perry Mason book to be delivered. 10/10
Susan M Brown
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good twist

Good character development, good storyline. The ending wasnt as nicely tied up in the courtroom, as it has been in previous books, but a summary in the office afterwards is more in kepping with the TV Show.

Robert Rawls
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't play David and Goliath for the sake of doing so!

Not that suspenseful but some interesting law points about how to trap a zealous prosecutor who is aiming for you instead of seeking the truth.
Rajeev Lewis
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the way the story keeps you wanting for more.enjoyed reading this book thoroughly.

Story was simply written with an amazing plot and clever clues all put together by a nail biting court room scene
Nick Duretta
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was one of the better Perry Mason novels I've encountered--a nifty plot with interesting twists and turns; not as formulaic or far-fetched as some of them get. Facing a crafty prosecutor, Mason's courtroom theatrics are on full display. Lots of fun.
John
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well constructed. A middle-aged aunt elopes while niece urges not to. Niece is supporting future husband through school which adds another dimension. Takes place in Calexico where Perry enlists a local young attorney’s help as murder takes place there in an old tourist court.
Annapoorni
A quick read to cushion all the heavy reading I have been doing lately.
The fast paced narrative will throw you out of a reading slump any day; not that I am in a slump..I just needed me a good Perry Mason read.

#popsugarreadingchallenge2020
A book by an author who has written more than 20 books
Gabi
Aug 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Another solid Perry Mason mystery, in which Mason goes to Arizona to defend an amorous aunt, who becomes the prime suspect after her would-be husband turns up dead. I especially liked how Mason involved a young local lawyer in the case and mentored him a little bit.
Jane
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nudging Head
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked the plot & presentation - crisp, clean & had the flow ...more
Maya Nayak
Aug 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Good old fashioned legal drama where u solve for behavior and not for technicality. Really relaxing read .
Dr Hanif Hassan Barbhuiya
A perfect mystery
Jeff J.
Oct 18, 2020 rated it liked it
#69 in the Perry Mason series. A Blackbeard case leads to murder.
Anna
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Finally, all curvaceous women took a break and this time, Mason's office was visited by a pair of love birds who was anxious to consult him about "a widowed aunt and a Blue beard." The lawyer dismisses their case thinking that the young couple was just in shock that older people can fall in love as well, however, his conscious gets better of him and he decides to stick around to make sure nothing bad was to happen.

The book definitely has its ups and downs. Gardner tried to do something differen
Harish Iyer
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As usual another excellent book. Very pacy.

A page turner, it is very difficult to put the book down once you start. The end is quite a surprise.
Sujet S Shukla
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
This story begins with Linda Calhoun- a young girl who wants Perry Mason to protect her widowed aunt from a possible murder as she suspects that Montrose Dewitt - the man with whom her aunt has fallen in love is a furtune hunter & is planning to kill her Aunt. but soon they both end up getting married & eventually its the husband who gets murdered & Perry Mason defends her after shes being charged for murdering her new husband...a flawless whodunit with a Fast-paced story & all the suspense & Tw ...more
Les Anderson
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you watch for the method in the Perry Mason novels, you can avoid the trap of assuming that the wrong person is the murderer. However, I missed one simple little clue that identified the murderer. Perry Mason, of course, did not.

All in all, a good story. I actually enjoyed the build up to the murder in this story. I also enjoy these supporting characters, lawyers that help Mason. I think this is the third time it's happened. I'm sure he's intended to be a spin-off character, but I really like

• The Mystery of Hunter's Lodge (Hercule Poirot)
  • The Million Dollar Bond Robbery (Hercule Poirot)
  • Looking For Rachel Wallace (Spenser, #6)
  • The Silent Speaker (Nero Wolfe, #11)
  • Suheldev & the Battle of Bahraich (Indic Chronicles #1)
  • If Only They Could Talk
  • The Kingdom of Fantasy (The Kingdom of Fantasy #1)
  • Doc: A Memoir
  • Triad (The Hidden Alpha, #2)
  • Twisted (The Hidden Alpha, #1)
  • Hope Sparks (After the EMP #7)
  • Powwow in Paris (John Tall Wolf, #6)
  • Seducing the Accomplice
  • Some Lie and Some Die (Inspector Wexford, #8)
  • Wolf to the Slaughter (Inspector Wexford, #3)
  • Billionaire's Island Bride (The Bad Boy Billionaires, #3)
  • Washington, D.C. (The Crime Beat #2)
  • The Golden Lion (Cleopatra in Space, #4)

Perry Mason (1 - 10 of 85 books)
  • The Case of the Velvet Claws (Perry Mason, #1)
  • The Case of the Sulky Girl (Perry Mason, #2)
  • The Case of the Lucky Legs (Perry Mason, #3)
  • The Case of the Howling Dog (Perry Mason, #4)
  • The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason, #5)
  • The Case of the Counterfeit Eye (Perry Mason, #6)
  • The Case of the Caretaker's Cat (Perry Mason, #7)
  • The Case of the Sleepwalker's Niece (Perry Mason, #8)
  • The Case of the Stuttering Bishop (Perry Mason, #9)
  • The Case of the Dangerous Dowager (Perry Mason, #10)