Start by marking “The Case of the Caretaker's Cat (A Perry Mason Mystery)” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Caretaker's Cat  (A Perry Mason Mystery)

The Case of the Caretaker's Cat

(Perry Mason #7)

*Erle Stanley Gardner is cited by the "Guinness Book of World Records" as the #1 bestselling writer of all time.
In his will, Peter Laxter guaranteed his faithful caretaker a job and a place to live for life. But Laxter's grandson Sam says the deal doesn't include the caretaker's cat. When Perry Mason takes the case, he finds there's much more at stake than an old man's ca
Mass Market Paperback, 224 pages
Published January 12th 1985 by Ballantine Books (first published 1935)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Caretaker's Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Caretaker's Cat

Evgeny
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
The plot twists for this mystery start appearing practically from the second page, so it is hard to describe the plot and make the description comprehensible and short at the same time. I think the former would have to be sacrificed, sorry.

A crippled man came to Perry Mason with an unusual problem. He was a caretaker for a rich guy practically all of his life, so when his boss died his will stated that the heir should keep the caretaker at his job until he is unable to perform it (we are talking
James Thane
First published in 1935, this is a very early entry in the Perry Mason series, back in the day when there were still cuspidors in the courtroom and when both the police and the lawyers could still cut the kind of corners that would get them arrested, disbarred and jailed in this day and age.

Perry is fresh off an exhausting murder case when Charles Ashton, a cantankerous, frail, elderly caretaker comes into the office and insists on seeing him. Curious, Perry sees the man who wants him to defend
Koen Kop
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Best of the (about eight) Perry Mason murder mysteries I've read so far - 3.5+ stars. Listened to this one on Youtube - most articulate, thus easy going for the non-native speaker - kudos to the reader.
Harold
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
More Perry. Good stuff but this one was a bit complicated and far fetched. I still enjoyed it but this one # 7 (I'm taking them in order) and the furthest out so far.
Emilia Barnes
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rather convoluted, but still extremely readable and fun.
Stven
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the wilder rides in the Perry Mason oeuvre, and that's saying a lot. There's a green Packard, a brand new Buick, a couple of cats, and waffles. This book is so early in the series that in the last few pages it teases the next one. Mason's law clerk enters to share some details foreshadowing the case of the sleepwalker's niece (footnote promises "will be published early in 1936"). A swell read from the golden age of paperback books.
Fredrick Danysh
Jun 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Peter Laxter's will guaranteed his caretaker a place to live for life but the nephew inheriting says the will doesn't cover the caretaker's cat which he wants evicted. Perry Mason quickly finds out that more than a cat is involved. Vintage Gardner.
Melindam
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review to come
William
Dec 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Actually would be 3.5 stars if goodreads.com allowed that. A fun read, but a bit too convoluted (though the clues are there for the most part) and littered with corpses (even one which is exhumed).

The writing has gotten a bit smoother, but still has clunkers like yet another woman (Winifred, this time) with "blazing black eyes," "a quick twist of [Della's] lithe body," and Mason speaking with "a savage impatience."

This is a somewhat softer and more caring Mason than in the earlier books, though
Vincent Lombardo
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have been reading nothing but history and biography for months and decided to treat myself to a good mystery, and Erle Stanley Gardner never disappoints! He was not a great stylist, but his plots are the best! I can never figure them out. He keeps me turning the pages, and isn't that what a good mystery does?

I practiced law for 30 years and I never met a lawyer like Perry Mason. First, he is more of a detective than an attorney. (In fact, a character in this novel, I think it was Hamilton Bur
Ed
Sep 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: legal, mystery
#7 in the Perry Mason. This 1935 mystery is a superior entry in the series.

Perry Mason series - In his will, Peter Laxter guaranteed his faithful caretaker a job and a place to live for life. But Laxter’s grandson Sam says the deal doesn’t include the caretaker’s cat. On a whim, Perry Mason takes the case, against the advice of his assistant and his secretary, Della Street.
What is at stake in this one isn’t just whether a cat can stay in a house, there’s more: a million dollars in cash and some
Kevin
May 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The solution to this early Perry Mason mystery (his seventh book, which was released in 1935) is so convoluted that it takes Perry three pages of nonstop exposition to explain it all. But, Perry Mason books are not about trying to figure out whodunit before Perry does, its about the methodical approach to putting the pieces together and the fun byplay between the characters of Perry, Della Street and Paul Drake. Della actually has to pretend to be on her honeymoon with Perry in this outing.
Elderberrywine
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
And Mason suggests acting as a honeymoon couple as a cover to Della Street? He's just messing with her now, right?

Well, Della gets a few jabs in. Good on her. Oh, and of course, Mason solves the dilemma, once they sort out the cats.
Childminerva
Aug 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
I'm a bit Perry Mason fan, can't help it. This was the first one I ever read. I reread it later and loved it just as much. What can I say, I'm a sucker for any romantic moments between Perry and Della!
Carissa Norris
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this mystery, especially the fun bits between Perry and Della. The mystery was good. I guessed some of it, but not all of it. My only critique is it ended abruptly without a reaction mentioned from the guilty and not much of a denouement. I would have liked to have more of a wrap up.
Natalie P
Aug 17, 2011 rated it liked it
This was my first experience of Perry Mason and I thought it was a good. It was lacking in drama during "dramatic courtroom finish" but I thought the mystery was interesting enough that I'd recommend this to anyone beginning to get into early mystery novels!
Evelyn
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, animals
It is always a joy to read a Perry Mason mystery.
Donna
Apr 15, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Another Perry Mason...more murders than usual. Della and Perry pretend to go on a honeymoon! Perry save the classy car in case he ever wants to go on a honeymoon for real!!
Mariam Universe
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ամենա-ամենա <3
R.L.
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Perry and Della at their pre-1940 best.
Boremomsn.Com
Typical Perry Mason Novel from an era gone by. The way the case starts is a bit hokey, but it gets interesting right away. What was a bit much, however was the ending. There were far too many assumptions made by Perry Mason that apparently went on to be proven true - in today's mystery writer world, such absurdity would not go over well. But, if you enjoy Erle Stanley Gardner and his writing style, this is one worth reading, flaws and all.
James Vest
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Perry takes a break from murder cases to help an old man keep his cat at his residence. When the other party hires a ruthless attorney, Perry finds a nemesis that drives him to crack an ever changing mystery featuring three separate murders, multiple clients, an unlikely partnership with the DA, and a court case in which Della AND Perry take the stand.
Richa
Jul 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was a fast-paced double murder. It did remind me a lot of Poirot. The style seemed clearly inspired with Perry (Poirot) narrating the entire sequence as it happened at the very end of the case. For a welcome change, the prosecutor was someone competent!
El (book.monkey)
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
as always brilliant.

Full review on blog: http://whosella.blogspot.co.uk/2017/1...
Felicity
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
There is a reason the Perry Mason Courtroom novels aren't listed in classic crime must-read lists.
Kim Schulze
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it
A fun read.
xiny
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Qué traducción más horrible, my god. Que me expliquen por qué en dos libros de la misma editorial, en uno traducen los nombres propios y en otro no.
HOPE MICHELLE
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love cats, so this book is definitely a winner for me. Also, I love the ending! It's a whammy and makes me remember why I like Perry Mason Mystery books.
Nicole Mcbride
Sep 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Review: I was recently traveling with my mother-in-law and we came across the James Dean Gallery and Museum in Fairmont, Indiana where they sold memorabilia along with some antiques. There I found several old pocket-sized books that I bought on impulse. Mostly I bought them because I love books and couldn't resist buying a few mysteries from the 1930's.

This book was a rather quick read and I truly enjoyed it. I have never read anything by Gardner before, but may look for other books of his in th
  • If Death Ever Slept (Nero Wolfe, #29)
  • Cat of Many Tails (Ellery Queen Detective, #20)
  • Three Classic Mysteries Starring Miss Marple: A Murder is Announced /The Body in the Library / Murder With Mirrors
  • Saint V. Scotland Yard
  • Pick-Up on Noon Street (Pocket Gray Stripe, 2846)
  • Corpse In A Gilded Cage
  • Fountain Society
  • The Nidhi Kapoor Story
  • More From the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency: Blue Shoes and Happiness / The Good Husband of Zebra Drive

Perry Mason (1 - 10 of 85 books)
  • The Case of the Velvet Claws (Perry Mason #1)
  • The Case of the Sulky Girl
  • The Case of the Lucky Legs
  • The Case of the Howling Dog
  • The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Counterfeit Eye (Perry Mason Mysteries)
  • The Case of the Sleepwalker's Niece