Start by marking “House Guest” as Want to Read:
House Guest

House Guest

Chastity Bream doesn't dance anymore. She also can't walk, speak or think. She's fed through a tube, turned twice a day and left alone in her bed. That is except for him - the one in her closet, who comes out to tend to her needs. And his.
Published March 15th 2011 by Biting Dog Press/Smashwords Press (first published April 3rd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about House Guest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about House Guest

Start your review of House Guest
Rick F.
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Magnificent story- full of unique characters and word play- I thoroughly enjoyed HOUSE GUEST- and strongly recommend it to all!
Mr. Allen has a superb writing style!

Rick Friedman
Founder
THE JAMES MASON COMMUNITY BOOK CLUB
Book Lovers Never Go to Bed Alone
John Paul Allen’s short story (free on Amazon) “Houseguest” is a strange and macabre love story of sorts. Our houseguest is Chastity Bream’s boyfriend, only Chastity isn’t herself anymore. Terribly injured in a car crash, Chastity lives on life support, round-the-clock nursing care, and is no longer aware of her surroundings. This “boyfriend” lives in the girl’s closet and roams her house without fear or hesitation at getting caught.

The story centers on this mysterious “boyfriend” an
SANDRA
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
All I gta say it is disturbing and not a book I would read again. I just can't shake the creepy feeling of it. There's a guy that lives in his girlfriends closet she has an accident becomes a veg. and her parents bring her home and have her being taken car of by a nurse than there is this guys still living in her closet!! He comes out n speaks to her as if she is resposive (she's not) and also has sex with her, still!! ahhh yea like I said it gets creepier from there.
Dellani Oakes
Nov 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes to be a little scared
"House Guest" is great story! It's creepy, though provoking, disturbing. It will make you shiver, pull the covers over your head and search your closets -- WELL!

John Paul Allen captures the secret fear we all harbor, someone uninvited in our home. Skillfully told, the narrator is clearly delineated. The characterization is strong, the story well paced.

This is an excellent read with all the lights on book! I highly recommend it for anyone who likes to be just a little bit
Jeanette Hornby
A short, creepy and enthralling story. The development of the main character and situation was strangely enjoyable. A good read.
N.G.
A disturbingly short book about a psychopath with delusional thoughts who lives in her girlfriend's closet. The only thing I didn't like was the length (too short and left me with LOTS of questions).
Atarah Poling
Apr 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 17- up
House Guest is very different that's for sure. I liked it but didn't really LOVE it. I do suggest that nobody below the age 18 read it or at least 17.
M.L. Roos
May 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Clever story about unwanted and unexpected house guests of the psychopathic kind. Very disturbing short story, well written and very twisted.

John you have made a new fan. Very nice work
Kat
Feb 21, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I'm reading some of the other reviewers reviews here (this was cross posted from Amazon.com, so I'm referring to reviewers on that site), and I gotta state the obvious...did you not read the description when you decided to download this free book? I mean, to me it was obvious that it was about someone/something creeping out of a closet at night and yes, raping someone.

Now, as a woman, and a horror fan, I am not easily offended or grossed out by books. The thing that did it for me with this
D.g. Gass
Dec 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Morbid, sick, twisted, warped, bizarre. Words that come to mind after finishing John Paul Allen’s “House Guest“. And one other word comes to mind as well, excellent.

Told through the vantage point of the stories protagonist, an antihero that has taken up residence in Chasity Bream’s closet, John Paul Allen pushes social norms, acceptability and boundaries in, “House Guest“. A first person telling of a secret lover’s observations and desires as he lays in wait for when he can be alone
Outerspace Andrea
Nov 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those who enjoy a perverse dark short story
Had this story been a little longer with more detail it would have been a 4, but as it is, it is very VERY short (it literally is like a 5 minute read). This is unfortunate, because it has the potential to be extremely eerie with additional plot/character development. “House Guest” is essentially the tale of a sexual predator that is secretly living in his “girlfriend” Chastity’s closet at her parents’ house. When no one is around he comes out at to continue “their relationship” and “take care o ...more
Lynn Hallbrooks
May 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: now-on-my-kindle
Full disclosure: I won this "book" as part of a contest via the publisher. While I felt compelled to put the set of books I won as higher priority, the review and opinions expressed are totally my own.

As I've stated before, I'm trying to read other genres. While "Horror" is not my thing, I'm not sure that this book constitutes my version of horror. It is more psychological in nature.

The point of view is from a person who seems to have a sexual addiction but the actual story is not what I'd ter
Jim
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"House Guest" is tough to classify, but if I had to put it neatly in one genre, it would be horror. It's a strange story of a young man who moved in with his girlfriend, who lived with her parents, and - incredibly - avoided being detected by the girl's parents. Soon after the move, however, his girlfriend was in an accident that left her in a vegetative state. She was still in her bedroom, but now she was being fed through tubes and was totally unresponsive. So out the boyfriend goes, right? We ...more
David Santos
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
I expected a horror type book of an unwanted house guest. What I got was a first person story of a perverted creep. Who has sex with his "girlfriend" with disability but he hides and lives in the house amd has fantasiez of her mother. Smelling her panties and trying on her bra. I'd say the book was told through the eyes of a sex creep. In first person. I also do not like how it was written as far as what a person can see from their hidding spot. The guy apparently see's the entire house and ever ...more
Kristina Geesey
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
I am not really sure how to feel about this one. Though I do love a good short story, this was a little too short for me. I don't think I personally would classify it as a horror story either. Yes, we all do have a small underlying fear of someone hiding in our closets, I just do not think this hits that nerve with me.

I did find the story compelling enough to finish it but again the length of the story did not leave room for boredom therefor it was hard to lose general interest.
Jenn
Jan 20, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a short story that was a wee bit confusing at first. All those baseball analogies on the first page had me re-reading a few times as I couldn't understand what happened to Chastity. The house guest is Chastity's exiled lover who moved into the house unbeknown to her parents. I'm not really sure how they never noticed him or caught him, even after Chastity is brought home from the hospital as a vegetable. Her boyfriend is creepy, doing things that would be probably classified as illegal, ...more
Greg
May 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This is a short ebook at only 7 pages of text (not counting the title page). While I was thrown off a little by the baseball metaphors in the opening paragraph (I don't live in the United States for one thing, and the way in which the metaphors were being used by the protagonist in this first-person narrative seemed extraordinarily flippant), I very much enjoyed Houseguest. It is a darkly humorous and tightly written look at the assumptions and justifications of a deranged young man as seen from his point ...more
Jul 11, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who don't mind intense sexual perversion
Shelves: odd-and-bizarre
To be honest, this short story made my stomach turn with disgust. I did not find it psychologically terrifying in the least. Just gross. I do love weird and strange stories but the sexual 'themes' throughout this short was just too much. To be fair however, the writing style is good. The story is edited and the author can describe people and settings quite well in just a few pages. I found very little wrong with how the author writes. In this particular case it's more about what he writes and I' ...more
Lizzie Winns
Feb 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
This book did not make much sense to me, It basically was about some sick pervert guy having sex with a woman who was in a coma. Oh and lets not forget to mention that he lived in her bedroom closet. Also I had no idea that this was a short story, they should mention that.And they failed to mention that there are a few more short stories included in this book...I would not recommend this book at all.
Laura Neu
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story. To me, it felt like a nod to The Tell Tale Heart. The author employs Poe's classic unreliable, "mad" narrator to achieve the truly disturbing nature of this piece. The story is strongly written with an authoritative narrator that pulls you through the muck of his thoughts and actions regardless of whether or not you are comfortable with such.
Kate
Mar 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Sick and twisted short story.

Chastity Bream is now being cared for at her parents home after an accident has left her in a vegetative state. Unknown to her parents there is someone who is constantly watching over her and them!

The author does a great job of creating a very creepy and disturbed character and the story moves along to an unsettling finish.

Jessica
Jan 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: strange
This story is different and definitely strange. It is also deeply disturbing and creepy the more you think about it. The main character/narrator is seriously disturbed and belongs in an asylum for the criminally insane with no chance of parole. If you've ever had a problem with a stalker (or someone bordering on stalker behavior) this story will scare the hell out of you.
Ashley
Sep 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
Cindy
Feb 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2013
I found this to be a hard short story to read. It was an extremely dark disturbing book. I can take shock factors in stories but this was just disgusting to me.

If you like very strange stories, you might like this. I like twisted kind of stories but this one was too much for me. When I came to the end, I was thinking, what in the world did I just read?
Butch
Jul 02, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Speaking for myself, although short, I found this story confusing and difficult to follow. I had to reread often because I though I'd missed parts of the story.

Anyway, sorry, but I just didn't like it.
P.S. Winn
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
I suppose this book was okay for some, but I think it needs a disclosure for content so it doesn't end up in the wrong hands, For a short story I think it does tell a tale of sorts, but it was a little vulgar and confusing. Some may enjoy the tale, but I really didn't.
Dawn
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely not a book for the average person. It's full of twisted, demented thoughts and actions. I absolutely loved it. to say it gave me the creeps and shivers is an understatement. I loved it.
Greta Cutrell
Different

I'm not quite sure how to feel about this book. I'd almost say that it's too short to even review. However, it does have it's suspenseful moments and creepy appearances. just disappointed that it ended the way it did.
Lori Anderson
May 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
Good Lord. I have no idea how I ended up with this macabre, rather disgusting short story.
Cindy
May 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: disturbing
So creepy (in a good way) but I wish it was longer.

• Accidentally on Purpose (Gracie Greene Mysteries #2)
  • Poems for a World Gone to Sh*t
  • Bedlam, Vol. 1
  • The Willows
  • All-Star Batman, Volume 1: My Own Worst Enemy
  • Hostile Witness (Witness, #1)
  • Boy Kings of Texas: A Memoir
  • Penshaw (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #13)
  • The Day Before 9/11
  • Her Missing Daughter
  • Choices (Choices, #1)
  • Black Market Baby: An Adopted Woman's Journey
  • Ghetto Love
  • Yo Momma Is So....Jokes! The Worlds Funniest Yo Mama Jokes!
Born and raised in Michigan, the youngest of five boys, John Paul Allen is described as "Hard to nail down, hard to put down, John Paul Allen's words will envelop your senses and fill your mind with worlds and people too real not to believe." (William Cook - Blood Related). Coming to horror and writing later than most he has quickly become known for his knack of crossing lines in order to tell a s ...more
“Bream…Angie…arrived home. Upon hooking the liquid nutrition, Mom brought in her own dinner and put her feet up as Vanna flipped letters. The” 1 likes