Start by marking “The Little Brute Family (My Readers)” as Want to Read:
The Little Brute Family (My Readers)

The Little Brute Family (My Readers)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  241 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
They eat sand and gravel for breakfast and a stew of sticks and stones for dinner. No one says "please" or "thank you." Instead, they kick and yell and punch and shove. Then one day everything changes, when Baby Brute happens upon "a little wandering lost good feeling in a field of daisies." When he brings it home in his pocket, nothing is ever the same for the little Brut ...more
Published November 8th 2011 by Square Fish (first published September 1967)

To ask other readers questions about The Little Brute Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Brute Family

Nefariousbig
Apr 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Unlike the Little Brute Family, I am cursed. This curse has been passed down through generation after generation of my subservient ancestors. Being helpful, kind, generous, polite, loving, gracious, demure, agreeable, and overall "proper" is a burden I must bear. Like it or not. It cannot be turned off, burned off, or cut out. It is a birthmark. I have passed this curse on to my children, and it will be passed on to theirs. That is important.

Like the littlest Brute, I have carried the goodness i
Christian
Oct 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think it is cool how they are all mean and brutes in the beginning....and then the little baby brute finds this little thing and it helps their family to grow nice. And when summer comes they become a nice family!

Elizabeth Jay
Jun 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was read to me as a child countless times! I LOVE this book. I am so glad that I was able to find my copy and share it with my children. The illustrations are great and the slight sarcasm makes my family laugh. So many childhood memories!
Roseann
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THis was MY FAVE book as a child and I must have read it a thousand times. Nothing quite like a good feeling to make a big difference in life! : )
Vivian
Nov 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Our story time themes for this six-week cycle are inspired by events which occur in C.S. Lewis's children's novel The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Each week we quickly review the story by having the children "build a big house" (make a peaked roof by putting their hands together over their heads), "make rain" (raise arms high above head and then wiggle fingers while lowering arms), "play hide & seek" (cover eyes with both hands and count quickly to ten and then say "Ready or not, here ...more
Emerson and Theodore
The memories came gushing back when I read this book about the brute family. This is a book I read as a child. Emerson I read it today and it surprisingly held his attention. It is categorized as an easy reader: the book for older children who are learning how to read on their own. But the pictures and the story are good enough that Emerson followed along.
The brutes are a horrible family living in the woods without any happiness until one day baby finds some sunshine in the meadow and brings it
HeavyReader
Oh man, The Little Brute Family. I hadn't thought of this book in at least twenty-five years. I just happened across it on the list of the Best Children's Books Most People Haven't Heard Of

I loved those little brutes!

I think this book is supposed to teach kids that life is more pleasant when we are all kind and gentle with each other.

I would LOVE to read this book again.
Michelle Clement
May 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I found a vintage copy of this recently and the title grabbed me, I had to have it! The story is hilarious and very heartwarming, unexpectedly. It's all about focusing on the positive and letting the finer things in live bring contagious happiness in. A good read for kids, and anybody, really, as we are all capable of getting stuck in a grumpy rut like the Brutes are at the beginning of this story. So cute!
Rosa Cline
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
This is a grumpy family, they don't smile, grin, giggle or have fun. They do the same things over and over again. Until the baby finds something magical and they start to smile and it feels good. It spreads throughout the family and they realize how much better it was to be happy and to say nice things like thank you and please ect.
Heidi-Marie
These pictures are adorable. I was OK with the story, because I wasn't quite sure where it was going But when Baby Brute found the lost good feeling, I liked it much more. What a happy way to end. And even a good behavior book if you want to use it so.
Deborah
I am a huge, huge fan of the Frances books. Frances is a fabulous character who is handled with a gentle wit. But this book is all message and doesn't have the subtleness of Hoban's other books. I was disappointed.
jacky
May 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Saw this cover at Auburn library and wow did the memory hit hard. Flipped through and several other illustrations I remembered as well. No recollection of the story. The librarian pointed out that the illustrator was the same as the Francis books, which was so obvious once she told me.
Lisa Mcbroom
This is such a generational book my favorite as a child and my 31 year old neice as well. The Brutes are snarling and grumpy. One day when the youngest Brute sees a field of daisies he feels like being nice. He soon passes on the feeling to the other members of the family!
Tyler Lutz
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brutal
Marianne Meyers
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my absolute favorite children's books of all time. I could take it out enough from the library as a child. I keep a copy by my bedside table, I still love it.
Becky
Nov 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A mean family turns nice. I've read this since I was little.
Meadow
Apr 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-lit
This book is a huge hit in our house (thanks, Noel!). Sometimes we go and look for a wandering happy feeling. Sometimes it works.
Kristen
Apr 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love, love this book. I want my family to find a little wandering good feeling, too.
Judy
Aug 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: families with little kids
Shelves: children
We love this little book. It's such a sweet story of a brutish little family that encounters a wandering lost good feeling.
Julie
Nov 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: easy-readers
How did I miss this one until now? Wow. This is right up there with the Frances books, and my other favorite, Charlie the Tramp. Funny, sweet, and excellent to read aloud. Love love love it.
Christina
Mar 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I still have this book from when I was a kid. I can`t believe its on here !!! ...more
Sherry
Mar 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This could be the story of my family--if only I could get get them to stop eating rocks.
Connie
Feb 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my favorite picture book when I was a kid. I made my dad read it to me over and over again. Perhaps because it so closely resembled our own family?
Tracie
Jun 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the greatest books ever
Mckinley
it is possible to turn one's perceptions to life around.
Becky Joslin
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Favorite children's book! Love it :)
Euroca
Jun 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We love this book from Rich's childhood. It is a great example of how attitude changes everything.
Candice Anderson
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good message about happiness in family life.
Nancy
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, favorites
An adorable story about a 'little wandering good feeling' and how it changes an entire family.
babyhippoface
I realize this is kind of a goofy one, but I have a soft spot for that "little wandering lost good feeling."
  • Who Needs Donuts?
  • Dinosaur Bob and His Adventures with the Family Lazardo
  • A Hole is to Dig
  • Wake Up, Sun!
  • Yoko
  • Ride, Fly Guy, Ride! (Fly Guy, #11)
  • Anatole (Anatole, #1)
  • Jennie's Hat
  • Rabbit and Robot: The Sleepover
  • My No No No Day
  • Samantha on a Roll
  • Splat the Cat: Splat the Cat Sings Flat
  • Fancy Nancy and the Boy from Paris
12076
Russell Conwell Hoban was an American expatriate writer. His works span many genres, including fantasy, science fiction, mainstream fiction, magical realism, poetry, and children's books. He lived in London, England, from 1969 until his death. (Wikipedia)
More about Russell Hoban...