Start by marking “Mayan December” as Want to Read:
Mayan December

Mayan December

Dr. Alice Cameron is a famous scientist -- an archeoastronomer -- devoted to studying ancient Mayan culture. The era driving her career has always been the end of the Mayan baktun, so she's on the Yucatan Peninsula in December 2012 with her daughter Nixie...and so are fellow serious scholars, plenty of end-of-the-world crazies, and -- at an international summit -- the Pres ...more
Published August 23rd 2011 by Prime Books (first published July 20th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Mayan December, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mayan December

Shauna
Mar 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: young people who like fantasy
Recommended to Shauna by: I got it free at World Fantasy Con
What I liked:
• the young girl Nixie, who is brave and adventuresome and kind
• the time traveling
• the two new adults who are the focus of the storyline in the past
• the settings
• the cover art when I first saw it
• the conference delegate from India, who makes a brief appearance

What I did not like:
• The cover art is deceptive. It shows a tall young woman who appears to have at least some African ancestry. I kept waiting for this character to show up, but she never appears in the book. Nixie is wh
Joy
Oct 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book after recently meeting the author through a mutual friend, as the description of her work sounded interesting plus she's written several Valdemar stories that I've enjoyed. The book did not disappoint me and is an excellent combination of mystical and science around the story of what could happen at the 2012 end of the Mayan calendar. The main characters are Alice and her young daughter Nixie, who are in Mexico in December 2012 because Alice is a researcher of the ancient s ...more
Cayleigh
Oct 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012
This book was fun to read because it is about the end of the Mayan Backun/ all of the December 21st 2012 hoopla that we have been hearing about by those who are worried the world is going to end. Our main character is Nixie, an 11 year old who is in the Yucatan Peninsula with her mother Dr.Cameron who is an archeoastronomer. It is a time travel novel, but a quiet one, where Nixie slips in and out of ancient Mayan time and modern day just by walking up or down a path. She can’t exactly control it ...more
Karen
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book for teens, but not specifically a young adult book, in my opinion. Really interesting book about ancient Mayan culture and how it is today, with a fantasy twist.
Edwina Harvey
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Mayan December is set in December 2012 in the days leading up to the close of the Mayan calendar. Don't for a minute think that that makes it past its "use by" date. It's still a very topical and enjoyable read.

It is a time-travel or slipstream novel where one of the central characters, a young girl named Nixie, finds herself able to slip between the current world and Mayan times in the days leading up to the end of the mayan calendar. She innocently gifts a modern day trinket to a Mayan girl sh
Jerry
Mar 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
It is the end of the world, and everyone is worried about global warming. That’s the basic premise of this book: that the Mayan calendar’s mystical promise of cosmic changes is real, and the only global worries voiced in the thoughts of the main characters are of global warming. This in spite of the main character knowing that the time she studied was suffering from warming and drying itself, despite coming thousands of years before the industrial age.

The Mayan culture is dying because they have
Karin
Sep 08, 2011 rated it liked it
I received this book for free as a Good Reads First Read.

I had a bit of trouble getting into the book at the start because I know practically nothing about the Mayan culture however, as the book progressed I did pick up some basic knowledge about the culture. I do still feel like the book could have been a bit longer & included some more explanations. Overall, it is an interesting take on the end of the Mayan calendar!
Mitchell
It was nice to read something different for the Endeavour Award. Not one of Brenda Cooper's best but still good. Basically a Mayan end-of-the-world time travel novel which definitely reminds me of Pat Murphy's Falling Woman. Which I remember as being a reasonable Nebula award winner, which this book would not be.
Karen
Nov 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm fascinated by ancient civilizations and Chichen Itza has always interested me, so reading Mayan December was very interesting. Set at the end of the Mayan calendar 21/12/2012 it involves time travel, a good story with a smidgen of romance. Unfortunately, it didn't quite answer all the questions by the end of the book - perhaps a sequel will be written. All in all though, I enjoyed it.
Emily
Dec 12, 2011 rated it liked it
I picked this up last year and thought I'd better read it before it becomes historical fiction. Or the world ends. The story pulled me right along, and even though the characters sometimes felt thin they were interesting enough to spend time with. The world of the Maya, whether it was anywhere close to accurate, was a fascinating place to visit.
Tina Myers
Feb 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Ms. Cooper presents an interesting concept of time shifts and parallel universes. Her sections on the ancient Maya are particularly compelling. The character development of the "modern" characters follows a predictable arc which detracts from the overall flow of the book.
Shelley
Aug 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club
I enjoyed this story and its characters. The book was very poorly edited, however, which was somewhat of a distraction.
Cat Rambo
Nov 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Well researched and evocative, a lovely take on Mayan culture.
amy boese
Mar 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2012
This book is a beautiful dream.
May 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
It was an interesting idea, but I felt it came off a little trite. Safe for younger teens if they are interested, I suppose, but I was pretty disappointed.
Louise Marley
Oct 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A fresh take on time travel that takes on the end of the Mayan calendar in an original way. Great read.
Joanna Spence
Aug 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
I loved how the author blended the story with the past and the present...The storyline blended well and had me coming back for more...Bravo...
Michele bookloverforever
Oct 06, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: paranormal
just did not appeal to me.
Nightwing
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very well written YA book about the end of the world, or at least- the end of the world as we know it.
Sarah Kelly
Nov 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
An interesting and fast-paced story grounded in the current understanding of Mayan civilization. I like to learn when I read fiction and this book fits that bill, too.
Elizabetha
I loved this book!! All of the detail!!

I just found out that I won this as part of goodreads, first-reads program and I am so very excited!!
Kenneth Flusche
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Interesting, thought provoking, best Cooper book yet
Calamity Floats
Feb 11, 2012
Roselle
Sep 06, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
Brenda Cooper writes science fiction,fantasy, and poetry.

Brenda's most recent novels are EDGE of DARK and SPEAR OF LIGHT from Pyr and POST from ESpec Books. Edge of Dark won the 2016 Endeavour Award for a notable science fiction or fantasy novel by a Northwest author.

Other recent novels include the duology THE CREATIVE FIRE and THE DIAMOND DEEP, also from Pyr.

Brenda released two collections in 2