Start by marking “Second Course (Hal Spacejock #2)” as Want to Read:
Second Course (Hal Spacejock #2)

Second Course

(Hal Spacejock #2)

Rex Curtis is trying to save his freight company from bankruptcy, and the last thing he needs is a cheeky freelancer stealing his best customers.

Hal Spacejock, cheeky freelancer, is fighting for survival in the cut-throat interstellar cargo business. The last thing he needs is a powerful enemy.

Second Course: Two headstrong men on a collision course, in a Galaxy barely room
Published January 1st 2007 by Fremantle Press (first published March 6th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Second Course, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second Course

Start your review of Second Course (Hal Spacejock #2)
Pauline
Aug 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011, my-favs, recommended
If you liked the first book, then this one is a must-read. It's been years since I've had this much fun reading a book. I found it to be an excellent mix of a good old classic-style sci-fi adventure and light-hearted humour.
Bonnie Dale Keck
kindle unlimited

Hal Spacejock’s cargo business is going so well he’s considering getting into passengers ... especially the beautiful and mysterious Sonya Polarov. Meanwhile, Rex Curtis runs the galaxy’s biggest freight company, and he’s sick of independent pilots stealing his cargo jobs. He’s determined to make a statement by destroying the biggest nuisance of them all: Hal Spacejock. And all he has to do is ensure Hal’s latest cargo job ends in disaster. Unaware of the threat and distracted by
David
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Earlier this year, I picked up a novel (re)named 'Hal Spacejock 1: A robot named Clunk.

I enjoyed it, but thought it was nothing special.

Recently, I saw an advert on Facebook (I think), for the first three of the Hal Spacejock (yes, that's the real name of one of the characters!) novels and a bonus short story for 99pence. As I'd been reading a lot of heavier fare recently, and as it was only 99p, I thought I would pick it up.

And, I have to say, I enjoyed this one (the second in that collection)
Anita Fisher
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
This one is even funnier than the first. Hal is (unknowingly (of course)) going up against a powerful freight magnate who is set on destroying him for good with the help of a sexy henchwoman with a smiley henchbriefcase. In between those and his natural idiocy, Hal keeps stumbling from one hilarious disaster to the next, expertly helped by his robotic sidekick, Clunk.
Alexander Keane
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
It felt like the characters had a little more life to them this time around. Clunk is still trying his best to be useful, Hal is trying to make money to keep flying any way possible.

Overall, it's a pretty fun light hearted humorous story.
Kathleen Esche
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clunk is the best!

Clunk is the robot in the book and is a great character. The books are easy reads and include some humor. A great read for getting away from the more stressing things in life. I recommend the book!
Stuart Ridgway
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Great fun and some solid sci-fi to boot. Love reading these in between the heavy stuff.
Hayley
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I hope Hal and Clunk have an official fanclb, I'd join for sure... Right after I finish book 3!!
Chase
Another adventure with Hal and his robot Clunk and the ever sarcastic NavCom. We listen to this book before falling asleep at night and it has worked well to help us unwind at the end of the day.
Éric Kasprak
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before reading the first book I was wondering if this comedic sci-fi series would be my Pink Panther; my answer was a tentative yes, stating the overall quality of the story, the writing and the comic action but the lack of the equivalent of Peter Sellers genius. After reading the second book, I can safely say that (even without the M. Sellers genius) this series is definitely my book equivalent of the Pink Panther movies. Good writing, perfect pacing, solid story and lovable characters make ...more
Key
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Die komplette Rezi gibt es auf unserem Blog

(...)
Grad nen Tag nichts zu tun? Keine Lust auf schwere Kost? Lust auf Lachen und ein paar irrwitzige Flugmanöver und Hackangriffe auf Computer? Dann ist man hier richtig. Es braucht weder ein Happy End, einen Cliffhanger noch einen Sternenkrieg. Reicht doch wenn man auf 400 Seiten knapp 1-2 Tage im Leben eines Hal anschauen kann, der nur Unfug anstellt, aber im richtigen Moment zur Stelle ist. Es gibt übrigens keine Szene die direkte Vorlage für das
Simon Ford
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well...............

Is Hal what people would call an 'idiot savant'?, without the savant of course.

Nice to see that Hal and Clunk are still going about their business, even though Hal is still a major drain to his own success, without the robot Clunk, Hal would be sunk and possibly doing 50 to life in some godforsaken hellhole of a prison, being someones' (a big hairy, tattooed muscleman by the name of CRUSHER) love-toy.

Sonya, a possible love interest?, does he know what to do with a woman?, will
Akhilesh Mritunjai
Great read, slow in beginning but picks up pace

Ok, so this is the second book in the series and really the job of this book is Hal's character development. Really, believe it or not that character does have a character and author tries hard to convince you how and why Hal behaves. It was quite predictable what Hal will do in a particular circumstance after that, so the surrounding circumstances pick up the slack and keep the story interesting.

Good read so far, in to the next...
Colin
Feb 14, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of comedy SF
Haynes’s timing is good—at times too good; the gags sometimes head straight for the punch-line without giving the reader time to orient himself, and the characterization is good.

For the full review of this and the first Hal Spacejock, click here.
Jim
Mar 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
This deserves a 4.5. It was better than book 1. It basically had a travelogue through part of it, which I don't like, but the author handled it well and it did not lower the rating. Solid story line. Plan on reading more.
Shannon Cullifer
Jan 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
What I expected from Hal Spacejock, fun read.
Luke
Jul 30, 2011 added it
Second installment of a great series. Couldn't put this down! Found myself laughing out loud many times then reading stuff to my wife.
Highly reccomend!
Nyssa
Another fun read; much better than the last.
Martin Cooper
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another excellent space adventure in the series...
Jonathan Snyder
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining!

I have not been one to enjoy comedy in books, but Hal Spacejock has become a favorite to read when im looking for something entertaining.
ken huhn
Jade Thomas
Apr 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Junkyard Pirate
  • Interstellar Caveman (Interstellar Caveman #1)
  • Terminal Alliance (Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse, #1)
  • Skulduggery 2: Building a Criminal Empire
  • Skulduggery 3: Building a Criminal Empire
  • Fire and Brimstone (Chaos of the Covenant #2)
  • Hell's Rejects (Chaos of the Covenant #1)
  • Swing Shift
  • It Ain't Over... (Cole & Srexx #1)
  • Tempest Rising
  • Superdreadnought 1 (Superdreadnought, #1)
  • Caspian's Fortune (Infinity's End #1)
  • Skulduggery 1: Building a Criminal Empire
  • Human Test (AI Diaries #2)
  • ...Till It's Over! (Cole & Srexx #2)
  • Daisy's Run (The Clockwork Chimera #1)
  • Shroud of the Wahrsager: A LitRPG GameLit Fantasy Adventure (Enora Book 6)
  • Seran's Reach (Enora Online, #5)
Simon Haynes is the author of the Hal Spacejock, Harriet Walsh and Hal Junior (MG) series. He divides his time between writing fiction and computer software, with the occasional bike ride thrown in for a laugh.

Simon lives in Perth, Western Australia.

Hal Spacejock (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Hal Spacejock (Hal Spacejock #1)
  • Just Desserts (Hal Spacejock #3)
  • No Free Lunch (Hal Spacejock #4)
  • Framed (Hal Spacejock #4.1)
  • Visit (Hal Spacejock #4.2)
  • Baker's Dough (Hal Spacejock #5)
  • Safe Art (Hal Spacejock #6)
  • Big Bang (Hal Spacejock #7)
  • Double Trouble (Hal Spacejock #8)
  • Max Damage (Hal Spacejock #9)