Start by marking “Outlander (Outlander, #1)” as Want to Read:
Outlander (Outlander, #1)

Outlander

(Outlander #1)

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  740,143 ratings  ·  42,890 reviews
The year is 1945. Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is just back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon when she walks through a standing stone in one of the ancient circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach—an “outlander”—in a Scotland torn by war and raiding border clans in the year of Our Lord...1743.

Hurled bac
Mass Market Paperback, 850 pages
Published July 26th 2005 by Dell Publishing Company (first published June 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Outlander, please sign up.
Erica woah....those are 2 books that are so far apart, so unlike the other, so completely opposite. Just because they both have a sex scene in it? That's…morewoah....those are 2 books that are so far apart, so unlike the other, so completely opposite. Just because they both have a sex scene in it? That's about the only thing they have in common. I couldnt even read a whole chapter of 50 shades, it was SO bad. Outlander is smartly written, it serves a purpose, its moving, its exciting, the characters are strong and smart, the history will blow your mind......Nothing at all like the complete mindlessness of 50 shades of gray.(less)
Diana
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  740,143 ratings  ·  42,890 reviews

Start your review of Outlander (Outlander, #1)
Deborah Markus
I gave up on this book because I was sustaining permanent damage from reading it and I was afraid I'd start hitting back. And it's a borrowed copy, so that wouldn't be cool.

In fairness, I should say there's a lot of good writing here. I really enjoyed the beginning chapters. They even kind of cracked me up, because I have friends who love genealogy and their husbands always get that look when they start talking about it and that's exactly how I imagined Claire looking when her husband Fr
Duchess Nicole

Quick question: if this book has a quarter of a million ratings and still maintains an average rating of 4.13, why the hell are the most popular reviews the snarky, mean spirited, one or two star reviews? That doesn't match up at all with what I'd assume would be the case, which is that most people who read this book LOVED IT. Including me.
Please, people. If you enjoy a book, click "like" on the good reviews as well. That's what people see first when they look for reviews on Goodreads...the ones w
Holly
A special note to those who say my review stopped them from reading this book: No no no! Read it! I actually reread the whole series last summer and enjoyed it immensely. Just read it for what it is: ludicrous, well-written, humorous, delicious TRASH. Just don't expect it to be the most brilliant novel ever written and you'll be fine.

How To Commit Adultery Without Being a Cheap Slutty Whore: A Q&A by Diana Gabaldon

Q: I love my husband but I'm feeling kind of restless.
Kelly
May 29, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all women, historical fiction lovers
Yes! I read this. I admit it! You caught me! Not only that... I loved it. It is a double sin I will likely have to one day repent for by reading piles of Dostoyevsky while I tear out my hair. In any case. Right, once again into the breach to defend myself!

This book is incredibly long. It's just a fact. All of them are. But they go by so incredibly fast. By the time I got to the third one? I read it in three days. The pages just keep turning. I read at double speed I was so engrossed
HeatherJay
Aug 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I remember my friend in college ( 1992ish ) coming out of her room holding a book to her chest and saying " YOU HAVE TO READ THIS BOOK". She said it was a time-travel, romance book set in post world war II Scotland and mid 18th century Scotland.
Being as I was a 24 year old stoner and a 5th year college student, Lord of the Rings was more up my alley and I told her I'd "put it on my list"!! Fast forward to 2009, I'm on my usual Saturday morning sojourn to Barnes and Noble and I come across
Sasha Alsberg
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is my love, you all know this. It deserves an infinite amount of stars, too bad Goodreads only allows 5!
Check out my review on YouTube here:
Sasha Alsberg
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WHATTTT HOW DID I NOT MARK THIS MAGNIFICENT CREATION OF A NOVEL AS READ BEFORE???
I read this book 2 years ago and it has captured my heart and is my favorite book of all time <3
Emily May
Mar 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
I wanted to write a better review for this book to coincide with the release of the new TV series, where Jamie actually does look pretty hot...

Back when I read this as a wee lass (okay, like, three years ago), there weren't quite as many interesting interpretations of the novel going on. I remember reading a bunch of reviews that either sold it as sophisticated, well-researched historical fiction, or a trashy kilt-wearing romance f
RandomAnthony
May 07, 2008 rated it liked it
(Ok, first off, there are going to be minor spoilers/hints in this review…read at your own risk, although I’ll try not to reveal too much.)

Outlander is a damn good book. Sure, the book has a blue fake leather cover, costs four bucks, and screams “spinning rack at the airport bookstore”. I approached the text with suspicion but found myself invested in the language and storyline within the first hundred pages. Here’s why:

TEN GOOD THINGS ABOUT OUTLANDER

1. The ch
Lisa
Jun 29, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trashy_trashy
Contains SPOILERS ---
I was lying in a hospital bed with my leg broken, and once the library trolley came for a round of 'books, anyone?', my hand was in the air in no time.
Too late did the librarian notice the foreign literature on my bedside table and with a distraught expression try to recover 'Outlander';I said firmly: 'Oh no, Madam, I'll read that.'. Just enough time left for her to make up with a tome of controversial French literature on the genocide in Ruanda...
But as I'd sai
Kai
Jun 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
Here, I'm going to rewrite the scene that ruined this book for me.

Jamie, some Highlander from the 1740's: Claire, you didn't listen to what I said. You disobeyed me, your husband. You risked everyone's lives and I'm going to punish you for your misbehaviour. Yes, I know the evil man abused you and nearly raped you. But that was your own fault. I love you, I really do, and I don't enjoy this, but people expect me to give you the punishment you deserve.

Claire, an educated woman from the 1940's: Jamie, fi/>Claire,/>Jamie,
Julianna
Feb 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Scottish History, Romance or Time Travel
Reviewed for www.thcreviews.com

I've read that Outlander was originally marketed as a romance novel because the publisher didn't know what else to do with it, but this book is no ordinary romance novel. It doesn't follow any typical romance formula and is a real genre bender that doesn't fit neatly into any one category. Outlander has a swoon-worthy hero and dozens of truly romantic scenes that should be sufficient to satisfy even the most discriminating romance reader, while it's time travel aspect and a few references to
Leslie
May 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This series changed my life. I cannot even begin to go into the details of how much I fell in love with the main characters: Claire Beauchamp and Jamie Fraser. The love story between these two beautifully written characters actually transcends time and logic. Their devotion, respect and soul-reaching love was one of beauty and even awe inspiring. Theirs is a long and beautiful historic journey together reaching limits and boundaries of both heartwarming depth and gut-wrenching tragedy. Not to be ...more
Nick
description

4.5 GREAT AWESOME COOL FANTASTIC BRILLIANTSTARS!

You can find the full review and more about this book on my blog!

I am going to part this review in two sections(parts) because I don't want to give spoilers away but also want to share some of the scenes I really enjoyed with people who have also read the book so we can discuss together.So the first part of the review will be SPOILER FREE and everyone can read it,and the second part will be filled with spoilers so if you haven't read the book don't go there,unless yoblog!
I

I am going to part this review in two sections(parts) because I don't want to give spoilers away but also want to share some of the scenes I really enjoyed with people who have also read the book so we can discuss together.So the first part of the review will be SPOILER FREE and everyone can read it,and the second part will be filled with spoilers so if you haven't read the book don't go there,unless you want to get spoiled.So without making this extremely long I will start with Part one:)

description

Part 1(Spoiler free review)

I will start with how I got into "Outlander":
I was tumbling and searching the search engines,bored because I had already seen all the mid season finales of the shows I watch,so I had nothing to do.I was in a reading slump somehow,and in a mood for tv.It was nearly New Year,so there was no tv show or series that I wanted to watch currently airing.So I decided to search for some good series,and my eyes caught "Outlander".I did not know anything about the show nor book before then.So I read the synopsis and it was intriguing and it was a new show,so I decided to watch it.After like 3 minutes after I started watching the first episode,I was totally hung up to the show and watched all aired episodes on one night.Tomorrow,after like 3 or 4 hours of sleep that I had,I checked for the next episode,and that's when I had a heart attack.The new episode was going to be aired in April.And it was December then.Hopeless as I felt,I started searching for the book,because if you have seen the series you would know the cliffhanger of the last episode.So after 2 freaking weeks I finally got the book and started reading it.The first 300 pages were cool,but not interesting because I had seen the show and believe me the show follows the book perfectly,so it took me sometime to read those pages,but after that,the pages flew.You don't know how interesting this book gets after 200 pages.Because of the school and stuff,it took me 3 weeks to finish this book,and I am so glad I read it.Last night I read the last page and I am really looking forward to the next book.

description

I am sorry if you found the part above uninteresting and unnecessary,but I really wanted to share that with you guys,and if you have a story of how you got into this book,please share with me in the comments.Okay so I promise no more babbling and here comes my thoughts on the book:
Outlander is a time travel romance fantasy novel.This is the first book in the series with the same name "Outlander".It is about a woman called Claire Randall who is in her second honeymoon with her husband in Highlands,in Scotland.She is a nurse and her husband is a historian I believe,something like this.The year is 1945,after the world war II and it was the first time that Claire and her husband Randall are together after the war.Their relationship has had it's ups and down over the years,but they are pretty devoted to each other and everything seems fine.One day,as Claire goes to ancient circles,a place really old and interesting,through the standing stone,she travels back in time to 1743.Now she is rounded with lairds and people who she doesn't know and has to live a style of life she never experienced before.There she meets Jamie,a young lad,who she shares a long journey with.Now she has to decide somehow between the life here and the life before,and what will she choose?

description

This book seriously has some pretty great characters.Starting with Claire who is the main character,a very intelligent and wise woman,who stands for what she believes.She goes through so much in this story and she is well developed.In the other hand we have Jamie,also one of the main characters,a strong and also wise man.You can't imagine what a life he had,and he's still standing.And maybe it is just be but for a person in 1700s Jamie has a pretty developed sense of humor.Like there were some moments I laughed out loud.Jenny also was a favorite of mine.Beside some scenes,which I am going to mention in the part two of this review,she was a solid character,and I liked that.

description

So you know there is not much happening or going on on this book.You may be surprised because this is nearly 900 pages,they are only a few big moments on this book,but it is not boring.And that because of the writing style.This book contains a lot of harsh and disgusting moments,but there is also peace,cheerful moments that are really good.

____________________________________________
“Don't be afraid. There's the two of us now.”

____________________________________________

Now I am going to jump on the part two of this review so if you don't want to get spoiled,skip this part to the end where I am going to give my final thoughts about this book.

Part 2

Okay fellow readers,now we are really talking freely.First I am going to mention a list of things I liked and didn't in this book.

What I liked:

-Geillis Duncan's talking
-Geillis Duncan's everything
-The hot water place in the end of the book
-Jamie's jokes
-Murtagh
-Ian Murray

What I didn't like:

-Jonathan Randall

Seriously I have never hated a character this much.Especially the scene with the Jamie and the dungeon.It was one of the worst experienced I have ever read about,truly disgusting.This characters,for me,does not have a good quality,one of the worst characters I have ever read about.And to be honest,I was surprised how Jamie let that happen.He knew that he was going to die tomorrow and Claire was already out,so why did he let him do that,he could have killed him,and he would have nothing to loose.

____________________________________________
“I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have.”

____________________________________________

One of the best scenes in the book,or let's say the best joke of the book,for me,was when Jamie went out in the end,and Claire was searching for him,and she found him,and she yelled at him saying that you could have been attacked by a bear,and it was Winter so Jamie told her that Bears sleep at Winter.This doesn't really sound funny explaining it,but I laughed so much at this,like it was a burn for Claire.

“Ye are Blood of my Blood, and Bone of my Bone,
I give ye my Body, that we Two might be One.
I give ye my Spirit, 'til our Life shall be Done.”

____________________________________________

Also the part with Gellis Duncan was awesome,when she admitted that she was a witch just to save Claire and Jamie.Gellis was my favorite character of the book,and I was so angry when she dies.

____________________________________________
“For where all love is, the speaking is unnecessary”

____________________________________________

Parts I did not like were the one with Jenny giving birth.It was so awkward to read,maybe for me,but it felt like I was reading something forbidden,I don't know why.And also the part with Jenny playing with her breast,spilling the milk out,I didn't was to know that nipple trick,and it was awkward also.

The part for everyone:

I highly recommend this book to every reader out there,if you enjoy fantasy and time travel I think this is the best choice.Pick it up and don't be scared of the pages.Pick it up!

*Pictures from the review are not mine, I took them mostly from Google images or Tumblr*
Chelsea
Man, after the pitch I've heard about this book from basically every (female) reader I've ever met, I was expecting something that was NOT THIS. Fairly offensive, needlessly graphic, and smutty in that skeevy way, rather than the hot way. At one point, Jamie punishes Claire for disobeying him by literally spanking her - which was treated as perfectly understandable, and was quickly dismissed. I know that I cringed throughout the entire thing, and found it hard to believe that any relatively mode ...more
Kat Kennedy
Outlander is not a book for everyone. I'll put that right out there. If you think you can stomach extreme sexual violence as well as themes of sadism then go ahead. If you can understand good characters doing things in their historical context that would be seen as abuse now, then give it a try.

You won't be disappointed.

Gabaldon has finely crafted a novel that is radically different to the stereotype. This is no average love story. Her research is extensive and flawless;
Aestas Book Blog
Here are a bunch of pics from the TV show being filmed right now :D

Here are a bunch of pics from the TV show being filmed right now :D

Latharia
Aug 26, 2007 rated it did not like it
I read the first 300 or so pages of the book. The first 200 had me hooked...and then the sex scenes started. I've got nothing against a sex scene or two ... but the main characters were having sex all the freaking time. And when it escalated to include violence, including a scene that I can only describe as rape (she says no, he forces her to have sex anyway), I closed the book & decided not to read anymore. I enjoy historical fiction ... just not this type of it, I suppose.
Felicia
Dec 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Ok, so historical romance isn't really my thing. I read this book because I got tipsy after a concert and went to the bookstore and bought a ton of "Highland-hunk" romance novels on whim and Twittered about it, so I had to read them all. Ugh. So, I read 4 other books that were hideously bad, and then this one was highly recommended to me by many on Twitter/Facebook as the cream of the crop. I was dubious.

I have to say, this is a LOVELY book. I'm not CRAZY motivated to read the rest o
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I figured I would love the book since I loved the first two seasons of the show. Although, I have many more books to go =)

I did get the beautiful bound (20th anniversary edition) of the book because it is beautiful! Here's a little picture of the book and some of my stuff around it to make it even more pretty. The book looks smaller in the picture than it is so I don't know. <-- images on your screen are smaller than they appear.

I love Jamie and Claire! I just want them to be together and t
Fabian
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Myriad, albeit smallish, problems with this one... but several surprising & multifaceted splendors as well!

This is an unexpected tome that merges speculative fantasy with true historical events. It does something remarkable in having a target audience that vacillates between YA & the nonFiction prone; in other words, if you are a READER, this one is for you (it's got something for Everyone!).

The sex gets racier and racier, but the adventure starts growing tepid. T
James
In late 2015, I saw a book in Barnes and Noble (Written in my Own Heart's Blood) by Diana Gabaldon and thought "This sounds amazing." I picked it up (and it was nearly 1000 pages in harcover) and suddenly realized it was the most recent book in a series with books that were all practically a thousand pages long. I can't read a series book without doing it in order, so I put it back on the shelf and said "Another time."

Fast-Forward to 2016...

I sign up for the 2016 Reading
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Feb 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of highlander romance and historical fiction, people who think they don't like time travel
Okay, there are tons of reviews on this book, and I can't add too much to the review ether that hasn't already been said. But, I promised to write a review for every book I read, so I'll do this in an different kind of way. How about a Q&A session about this book?

Question and Answer Session With Danielle Regarding Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

1. So, you finally read it. How does it feel to read this 850 page magnum opus?

I feel a profound sense of accomplishment. I'm glad that/>
Question ...more
Katinki
This is actually a very difficult book for me to rate. Certain aspects of it were very good. Others, I didn't care for at all. I suppose I can say that as a whole I liked it "okay". Somewhere between a 2 and a 3, but I'm going to round down due to the seriousness of my dislikes.

What worked for me:
- Attention to detail (more on that below, however). It was very easy for me to visualize scenes and actions.
- In general, the premise for the novel was interesting. And some parts of it were very e
Alysha
Nov 10, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: reader's of Harlequinn Romances
Too bad here isn't a rating stronger than "didn't like" because I hated this book. In fact, I read the entire thing just so that someone couldn't talk me out of hating it by saying "Oh, it gets better at the end" or "you really needed to read the whole thing to appreciate it".

This book isn't about Scotland or time travel, it's about Jamie and Claire having sex in different locations and positions. Throw in a little wife beating, rape and repeated torture and you've got yourself a toned-down Mar
Matthew
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a tough one to rate. Of the 630 pages, about 200 of them were not great, weird, too much, 1 to 2 stars. A couple of times I wondered why I was still reading and didn't want to go on.

But, the other 430 were very interesting and well written. The premise of the story is fascinating and left me pondering a lot of what ifs?. It was very deeply researched historical fiction and I am a fan of decent historical fiction. If the 200 pages or so that I didn't care for were edited out
Zoë
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Um YES. This is what I like.
It took a while to get into and read as I was having to do school work and holiday festivities at the same time, but it was definitely worth it!
If you like historical fiction, time travel, and/or romance, PICK THIS UP. You also get the beautiful and perfect specimen of Jamie.
Mo
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing

The year is 1945. Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon--when she walks through a standing stone in one of the ancient stone circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach--an "outlander"--in a Scotland torn by war and raiding Highland clans in the year of Our Lord...1743.

First off, I am not big on “Time-travel” books but this has been on my kindle forever and with the new TV series coming out in a month or so I tho
Mischenko
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is featured on this week's Shabby Sunday @ https://readrantrockandroll.com/2017/...

Claire Randall is a nurse living in Scotland with Frank, her husband, just after the end of World War II. Frank is absorbed in studying his family tree and tracking one of his ancestors named “Black Jack” Randall. Claire has an interest in Botany and studies plants along with their healing factors.

One day, Claire comes across a stone circle called Craigh na Dun.

One day, Claire comes across a stone circle called Craigh na Dun.

While there, she discovers a plant and can’t stop thinking about it. She comes back another day to collect the plant near the stones and hears one of the stones scream. One after another, they all scream. Something strange is happening and Claire wakes up in Scotland, but in 1743. She witnesses men in kilts and a man that looks like Frank but isn’t. Quickly, Claire is taken away by a band of Scotsmen and this is where she meets Jamie, a man she’ll soon have to marry if she wants to survive.

This was an outstanding book that kept me entertained throughout. I was completely immersed in this story from start to finish. I loved Claire and Jamie’s smart, yet stubborn characters and enjoyed the formation of their relationship. All the characters had good development with some that I loved and some that I hated, but most were unforgettable. The pacing was perfect and never once did I want to stop reading, except for the few parts I found a tad difficult to read.

Some consider this a romance novel, but I think of it more as historical fiction. It does have a good amount of romance, but so much more than that. I’m not a history buff, but it seems that Diana Gabaldon has really done her research with this series and has spun a tale that can’t be forgotten.

My rating on this one is 5-stars.

• The Help
  • All the Light We Cannot See
  • The Book Thief
  • The Pillars of the Earth (Kingsbridge, #1)
  • Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1)
  • Gone with the Wind
  • The Notebook (The Notebook, #1)
  • Memoirs of a Geisha
  • Twilight (Twilight, #1)
  • Pride and Prejudice
  • The Lady of the Rivers (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #1; Cousins War #3)
  • Into the Wilderness (Wilderness, #1)
  • The Time Traveler's Wife
  • Water for Elephants
  • The Other Boleyn Girl (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #9)
  • The Highlander's Touch (Highlander, #3)
  • The Constant Princess (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #6)
  • Fire Along the Sky (Wilderness, #4)
Diana Jean Gabaldon Watkins grew up in Flagstaff, Arizona and is of Mexican-American and English descent. She has earned three degrees: a B.S. in Zoology, a M.S. in Marine Biology, and a Ph.D in Ecology.

She currently lives in Scottsdale, Arizona .

Outlander (9 books)
  • Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2)
  • Voyager (Outlander, #3)
  • Drums of Autumn (Outlander, #4)
  • The Fiery Cross (Outlander, #5)
  • A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander, #6)
  • An Echo in the Bone (Outlander, #7)
  • Written in My Own Heart's Blood (Outlander, #8)
  • Go Tell The Bees That I Am Gone (Outlander, #9)
“For where all love is, the speaking is unnecessary” 2160 likes