Start by marking “Brain Matters: Translating Research Into Classroom Practice” as Want to Read:
Brain Matters: Translating Research Into Classroom Practice

Brain Matters: Translating Research Into Classroom Practice

Everyone agrees that what we do in schools should be based on what we know about how our brain learns. Until recently, however, we have had few clues to unlock the secrets of the brain. Now, research from the neurosciences has greatly improved our understanding of the learning process, and we have a much more solid foundation on which to base educational decisions.

In this

Published January 1st 2001 by Association for Supervision & Curriculum Development

To ask other readers questions about Brain Matters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brain Matters

Start your review of Brain Matters: Translating Research Into Classroom Practice
Lawrence Linnen
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some scientists and educators think it is too soon to apply brain research to the classroom, because we don't know enough yet. The field is so new, they say, and the discoveries in many cases so narrow in their focus, that we run the risk of making false assumptions and perhaps even dangerous applications.

On the one hand, their caution is warranted. Educators have a history of jumping on bandwagons, and they often have accepted unproven theories as fact and have applied strategies without
Heather
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had a hard time rating this book because it was so outdated. I normally kind of love reading old Neuroscience books because it feels so amazing to compare them to what we know currently. But to think of a 2001 book as so antiquated felt bizarre. I.E. Spectra imaging is a huge part of 2017's brain awareness and something everybody knows about. But it's not "on the horizon" not even able to be vaguely explained yet in this 2001 book which has huge implications for the differences in what is ...more
Sarah Beth
I read this book as part of my master's program class on contemporary learning theory. However, I hesitated reviewing this because I did not read it in its entirety. In fact, I only was required to read five of its 14 chapters, so just a disclaimer that my review is not based on the full text.

This book looks at how knowledge about brain structure and function can be used by educators to improve their classroom techniques. The chapters I read dealt with brain development from birth through
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
The text does a good job at separating the content in to subcategories, with each section building on the last. First you learn about the structure and functions of the human brain, followed by transitioning from sensory input to information storage. Finally Wolfe brings it together by matching educational instruction with how the brain works best. Wolfe did a great job explaining the scientific, technical, terms to the everyday person; allowing you to comprehend without being overwhelmed with ...more
Jo
Nov 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My daughter left this book at my home by mistake and I picked it up read the back cover and knew my daughter had met the author, so I decided to read it, although I am not, nor have I ever been a teacher. I did find the book very interesting as it gave educational idea to teachers with back-up research to support what teachers do in the classroom. I think any teacher would benefit from owning and reading Brain Matters by Pat Wolfe.
Deborah
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating information on how we learn and assimilate information. I think this is the future of education. If we can use this type of information to help guide instruction, then we will be able to help children in new ways and really meet their individual needs. This book was easy to understand even though it is based on brain research. It left me wanting to learn more.
Pita-eater
Aug 25, 2007 rated it really liked it
This is an extremely insightful book that connects brain research and educational practice. Pat Wolfe has an easy-to-understand style of writing, and she does a good job explaining how the brain works and how teachers can apply that knowledge to their lesson plans.
Julie Misner
Sep 24, 2010 rated it liked it
A little dry but good stuff about the thinking process and how the brain works.
Jerilyn
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must read for educators!
Shaymaq
Sep 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
One of the easy books to read about this topic. Highly recommended for non science major students!!
Ellen Staab

• Teach Like a Champion: 49 Techniques that Put Students on the Path to College
  • Looking for Mary: Or, the Blessed Mother and Me
  • Teach Like Finland: 33 Simple Strategies for Joyful Classrooms
  • Making Content Comprehensible for English Learners: The Siop Model
  • The Writing Revolution: A Guide to Advancing Thinking Through Writing in All Subjects and Grades
  • Little Girls Can Be Mean: Four Steps to Bully-proof Girls in the Early Grades
  • Discipline Without Shouting Or Spanking
  • The Secret of Play: How to Raise Smart, Healthy, Caring Kids from Birth to Age 12
  • The Birchbark House
  • Dial Down the Drama: Reducing Conflict and Reconnecting with Your Teenage Daughter — A Guide for Mothers Everywhere
  • How to Raise an Adult: Break Free of the Overparenting Trap and Prepare Your Kid for Success
  • How to Differentiate Instruction in Mixed-Ability Classrooms
  • Why Don't You Write My Eulogy Now So I Can Correct It?: A Mother's Suggestions
  • The Care and Feeding of Ravenously Hungry Girls