Start by marking “From Darkness Won (Blood of Kings, #3)” as Want to Read:
From Darkness Won (Blood of Kings, #3)

From Darkness Won

(Blood of Kings #3)

Achan steps into his role as Crown Prince and prepares for war. But war against whom? Could Esek still be alive? Has Lord Nathak taken Esek’s place? Or is the mysterious Hadad the true enemy Achan must confront?

Vrell has her own agenda of serving Prince Oren as a healer, but when she is stormed and lost to the Veil, Achan does all he can to bring her back. His conversatio
Published March 30th 2011 by Marcher Lord Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about From Darkness Won, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Darkness Won

Shantelle
EEP! *huggles book* Achan and Vrell! <3 And this whole, epic story!! I love it!!! From Darkness Won concluded this series beautifully. The entire ending was sooo perfect, and one of my favorite parts! It almost made me cry it was so sweet and happy and gorgeous. ^_^

As for the book as a whole, there was a lot of action and battles. Fighting. Running. Imprisonment. Digging out the truth; that sort of thing. It starts soon after where Book 2 leaves off, and we have Vrell still continuing her cha
Panda Incognito
This is one of those books that is just so awesome that I do not consider myself capable of adequately reviewing it, and yet I feel that I do a disservice to not write a review for a book I love this much. Thus, after reading this book for the second time, I am undertaking to write in no particular order five reasons why this is my favorite book ever.

1. Witty banter.

This book has some of the most amusing dialogue of any I have ever read, and I routinely have to set it down and just laugh over t
Gabriela
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I must say that this book had the perfect ending. It was just perfect. Such a fantastic ending to a spectacular trilogy. I hope to read more by Jill Williamson soon.

Achan has finally stepped up to his role as the Crown Prince. But so many questions lay still unanswered. Is Esek still alive? What is Lord Nathak hiding? Is the man called Hadad the real enemy? Achan just hopes that his army will be able to take Armorguard. Vrell has decided to follow her own destiny and work as a healer in Prince O
Deborah O'Carroll
Originally read July 25, 2011

The stunning third book of the Blood of Kings Trilogy had me frantically speeding through pages, fully immersed in the story as I finally neared the end of Achan and Vrell's tale. I was anxious that the last book be as exciting and intriguing as the other two, and Jill Williamson definitely did not disappoint in this thrilling and marvelous conclusion. Though Vrell got slightly annoying, she mostly returned to herself (mostly...). The action and description brought m
R.J. Rodda
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, christian
A thoroughly satisfying conclusion to a thrilling fantasy series. This got my heart pounding whilst my head was enthralled with the level of detail displayed here. The world-building is thorough and enjoyable (I loved the use of "Pig snout" and "Blazes").

This is the book where the final battle against Esek and the Hadad takes place. To assist with this old characters pop back into the story. I was glad to see Noam again! Part way through I wanted to throttle Vrell but as the story progressed I
Riannon
Jul 24, 2012 rated it liked it
I didn't think From Darkness Won was as good as the one that preceded it. It is still a pretty good book in its own right, but the action wasn't as exciting, the book is not as cohesive as a whole, the characters' going their separate ways interrupts the flow of the novel a bit, and much of Vrell's fickle and contrary behavior seems more like a plot device to drag out the suspense than anything. The ending was good, but I felt like a lot of things could have been edited down to make them more co ...more
Hollie
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really find it interesting, and often funny, to skim the reviews and see people's many different takes on the overt christian proselytizing in this series. Some people don't even mention it, perhaps they are the christians. Some really abhor it and condemn the entire story for it. I'm actually surprised to find how many, like me, find it distasteful, but not enough so the turn away from an enjoyable and well written fantasy series. When I first encountered this phenomenon in the Legends of the ...more
Michelle Griep
May 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Sweet pickled pig snout! This is one fantabulous read. I’m talking non-stop action, the kind that blurs the words on the page because you’ve forgotten to breathe. Yes, it really is that good, so don’t let the daunting 660 pages scare you away.

In this, the third and final installment in the Blood of Kings trilogy, author Jill Williamson delivers a satisfying wrap up to Vrell and Achan’s long suffering relationship. Oh yeah, that and she also manages to vanquish evil and restore light and truth to
Becca
[3.5 out of 5 stars]

My reviews for the other books in this trilogy absolutely apply to this one, with just a few differences:

(1) I was VERY annoyed by how some issues were handled. I'm mainly thinking of the wedding and the days leading up to it. Umm, the details were very... untasteful? Enough so to really get under my skin, mainly because this is a Christian book.

(2) As I read this last installment, I realized how Vrell is the only character I ever truly took seriously. At all. And I think tha
Anne Hamilton
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, christian
This third book in the trilogy brings the series to a satisfying resolution.

At the start of the book Achan, now Crown Prince, still does not know that Vrell Sparrow and Lady Averella Amal are one and the same. While this is tiresome, it didn't irritate me quite as much as it did in the last book. Either Vrell is starting to be more credible in her excuses and self-rationalisation or I've got used to the characterisation. Vrell has discovered that her father is not the man she always thought. Com
M.H. Elrich
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this conclusion to the Blood of Kings series! It was long, but worth the time and effort of reading it. My only complaint is how stubborn Avarella could be! However, I suppose if I feel anything for the characters, it means that the author did a good job. Anyway, definitely a recommended read.
Erika Mathews
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Originally I rated this series 4 stars. A few days later, I'm upping it to 5. Why? Because there's a depth to this book unlike many others. Many stories stick around in the mind after reading them, but few continue to thrust themselves upon my thoughts days after finishing them, begging me to reread them. This story is one that does. After spending over 1500 pages with Achan and Vrell, they have come to life.

But more than that - there's a depth. Yes, this is fantasy. But Christian fantasy like
Jeneca
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So good. Such a perfect not tacky and totally wonderful ending. *SIGH*

Achan is struggling with his feelings for Sparrow and his engagement to Lady Averella (*snorts* poor Achan) while Sparrow suddenly gets lost to the Veil-- and she doesn't seem to recall Achan.

Things I liked:
-The story got even thicker!
-Most plot lines and subplots got a good heaping of more information, and wove together beautifully by the end.
-I loved getting to revisit Sitna and a lot of the characters from the first boo
Abby Jones
May 30, 2015 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this series more than I have any other so called "Christian" speculative fiction. The characters grew, were interesting, and everything wrapped up into a nice happy ending. Things weren't happy-go-lucky for all the good guys and the bad guys were pretty evil.
I have just a few complaints:
1) The lack of major deaths of anyone we really cared about left me feeling bored with the last book. I never really felt like anyone was in danger. And when one person did die, it was convenient not h
Kerry Nietz
Apr 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I fully agree with author Kathy Tyer’s summation of From Darkness Won: It is a satisfying conclusion to the Blood of Kings trilogy.

Here Williamson manages to tie up all the loose ends while expanding on themes and ideas she introduced in the two earlier books. There are great insights, some truly touching moments, high action, endearing humor, and a couple of unexpected—yet appropriate—twists. There was even a section that took me back to my favorite childhood shows, The Bionic Woman and the Si
Stacey
Apr 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
This series was such a great escapist/pleasure read. Many surprises. I bought this on my kindle and did not tell Eli, because I felt like it got increasingly mature--not inappropriate by any stretch of the imagination, it was all clean, just stuff he did not need to read about yet. It was a great Mother's Day treat to have a little time found in between and around my school time, to finish this trilogy.
L.K. Malone
Dec 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Again, I read all three books in this series within just a few days, so they kind of bleed together. I loved the series as a whole and highly recommend it. The love story was satisfying, the adventure thrilling, and the battle scenes were so vivid I felt I was in the middle of them. I knocked off a point on this one because it wasn't as tight as the first book, again, I think probably because the author was probably writing under deadline. Still a great read and highly recommended.
Bill Tillman
Jill has outdone herself with third book of the 'From Darkness' series. I was even moved by all the mushy stuff at the end, wedding and coronation were especially splendid. An excellent page turner with surprises around many a bend. A MUST READ.
Karen
Nov 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I continued to enjoy this series. Don't really have a ton to say about it though. I liked the religious tie-in, and of course, everything worked out just right in the end.
Valerie Comer
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a fitting finale for an extensive three-book fantasy series. Make sure you read these in order, though, or you'll get confused!
Stacy
Apr 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
fantastic book!
Shelley
Oct 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A great ending to a great series. I love her characters and writing.
Lavay Byrd
Wow, wow, wow! This was a truly stunning conclusion to an epic trilogy!

In this final chapter of the Blood of Kings, Achan prepares for war for the kingdom of Er'ets… and a destiny to rule as the rightful king. At the same time, Vrell, the woman he loves, is suddenly lost in the Veil... without any memory of their adventures together. Achan strives to bring her back, but he must also focus on finding away to push back the Darkness with the Light of Arman.

The entire story keeps you on edge at eac
HazelNut
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite a ride from the first book to the last book. : D

Things I liked particularly in this book:
~The character development of Achan and Vrell in particular was the best in this book. They both changed so much since the beginning, and the resolution of their arcs is fantastic.
~Battles. Because battles are just cool. XD
~There was quite a bit of humor in this one, which was fun.
~MATTHIAS <3 Matthias is an adorable smol. XD

Things I didn't care for so much:
~This has the most magic-y stuff in it, a
Dianna
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The not so thrilling conclusion to the series was about what I expected. Events continue to happen haphazardly, and the way in which Achan defeated the darkness at the end had me rolling my eyes. But I don't expect much from this series anymore.

Can't say I was a fan of the author's decision to introduce memory loss for Vrell, and just from the point where she met Achan. How convenient.

Thus ends my review because I can't be bothered to write anything more for this series.
Rose
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I finished- I had the same feeling as after a long work day, finally in quiet sipping my coffee- the drawn out satisfied sigh. Ahh. I did have to tone down some of the romance for our high schoolers. Simply delightful!
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book!!!! Couldn’t put down any in the entire series. Especially love that you really don’t know what’s happening next, and what you thought you knew might not be real!
Volpot
jolklk
Maricel
three and a half stars
The Blood Of King...: From Darkness Won 11 17 Jun 17, 2015 07:39AM
  • Dragonwitch (Tales of Goldstone Wood, #5)
  • Kestrel's Midnight Song
  • Judge (Books of the Infinite, #2)
  • Samara's Peril (Ilyon Chronicles, #3)
  • Return of the Guardian-King (Legends of the Guardian-King, #4)
  • Venom and Song (The Berinfell Prophecies, #2)
  • Dragons of the Valley (Valley of the Dragons, #2)
  • Deny (The Blades of Acktar, #2)
  • Song of the Ovulum (Children of the Bard, #1)
  • The Ale Boy's Feast (The Auralia Thread, #4)
Jill Williamson is a chocolate loving, daydreaming, creator of kingdoms and the award-winning author of several young adult books including By Darkness Hid, Replication, The New Recruit, and Captives. She got into writing one day when someone was complaining about teen books and she thought, “I could do that! How hard could it be?” Very, she soon learned. But she worked hard, and four years later, ...more

Blood of Kings (3 books)
  • By Darkness Hid (Blood of Kings, #1)
  • To Darkness Fled (Blood of Kings, #2)
“If, Your Highness, is a word that will steal your soul. Do not waste your thoughts on ifs. What is done is done. Look to the future.” 9 likes
“In time, all will be well - for all of us."
"You sound as if you truly believe that it will."
"Why shouldn't I? For Arman has given us the end of the story, has he not? Shamayim will be a wonderful home, even if this one remains dark.”
6 likes