Start by marking “For I Have Sinned (Charley Davidson, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
For I Have Sinned (Charley Davidson, #1.5)

For I Have Sinned

(Charley Davidson #1.5)

Darynda Jones revisits the sexy, suspenseful world of supernatural shenanigans she created in her Grave series with For I Have Sinned.  In this Charley Davidson story, Charley helps a woman find out how she died and gives her the closure she needs to pass through to the other side.
Published 2011

To ask other readers questions about For I Have Sinned, please sign up.

Start your review of For I Have Sinned (Charley Davidson, #1.5)
Mindy Lou's Book Review
Sad but sweet

A sad but sweet, short story.

I do feel like I missed something between Charley and Reyes between book 1 and this Novella. Hopefully it will get explained in book 2.
Laura Wright
Jun 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I think it's cruel and unfair that this author is so damn talented:)) Seriously, Darynda can do no wrong!
Hershey
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
A quick and an entertaining read

For I have Sinned is a short novella about a woman who had died. The woman has no memory of her past and Charley Davidson aka the Grim Reaper helps the woman find out about her death. It was a little bit touching to read about the woman's death.

This novella also helps us view Charley from a deceased person's point of view which I found very interesting. Charley is the same as ever; beautiful, kind and cocky. And of course, she's glowing. Mr. Enigma aka Reyes p
Sana Zameer
It was interesting to read this from a dead person's point of view. Short, sweet and touching!
Carvanz
This is a sad but sweet little story that showed me a different side to Reyes as well as Charley. Very, very short but I’d hate to advice anyone to skip it due to its content. Just too everything.

Other POV - not H/h
Safe (view spoiler)
Triggers (view spoiler)
Chan
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Charlie's sleep is interrupted as usual by someone who is dead. She is tasked with finding out what happened. We have appearances from Mr. Wong and Reyes, but sadly no Cookie. She is mentioned, but she doesn't show up.

This was a quick investigative read. A nice in between story. You could skip it and go straight to book 2, but it's fun and interesting. It's very sad with a hopeful slant.
Kelly⁷
2020 second reread of the year!

Also, I saw how she hoped with all her heart that Reyes loved her. Just a little. Just enough to keep her going day in and day out.

I WILL ALWAYS BE IN LOVE WITH CHARLEY AND REYES, DON'T @ ME.

He stepped closer and smiled down at Melody. “Happy birthday, beautiful.”
Charley’s grin widened and she whispered, “Isn’t she?”
“She is, but I was talking to you.”
Charley gasped and leveled a curious stare on him. “Oh, my gosh, it is my birthday. How did you know?”
He shook h
Jane
So this is a fun little short story told from the perspective of a dead person instead of Charley. That was a bit confusing for me at first, but once I got my head straight it was a really interesting perspective!

This is absolutely not a necessary story for the series, and as long as you've read book 1 this could probably be read at any point after that. I'm glad I took the time for this one -- at just 32 pages it's not a huge investment :)
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
It was really interesting getting to view Charley's world through the eyes of a ghost. We get to see how she sees Charley and feels about her, how Charley's house appears and we even get another opinion of Reyes.

Seeing how Charley operated through another person's viewpoint was wonderful and even though it's a short...and sad story, I enjoyed how it ended.

I loved that Reyes was in the story especially with how things ended in the first book. I can't wait to read more about him!
Nicole
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A short read in which I loved every minute! I am so glad I picked these books up mid-series; the wait to read the next book would've been torturous! I loved how the story was told in the ghost's POV, trying to figure out who she was and why she died. And of course, we have Charley and Reyes bantering throughout. Oh, and I forgot about Mr. Wong. LOL. It was short, but so worth the read.
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
An okay short story where you get to see Charley (and Reyes) through a dead woman's eyes.
Jen Davis
Dec 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Darynda Jones put out this free little novella to share with her fans on the Heroes & Heartbreakers website. It gives us the story of a recently deceased woman who is drawn to Charley. Unlike the novels, which are told by Charley in the first person, the novella is told from the perspective of the ghost. I liked this, because it gives us an outside perspective on Charley, herself.

There's not a lot going on here, but there is a little bit of Reyes in the story and a peek inside Charley's psyche w
willaful
Aug 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who've read the first book
I have very mixed feelings about this story. It was undeniably touching, yet put forward a point of view that bothers me. (view spoiler) It was interesting to see Charley's "grim reaper" job from the other side, though.

This has spoilers for First Grave on the Right, and probably won't be very interesting if you haven't read that anyway.
Isabella - Madly in Love with Books
A short and sweet little addition to the series. To get a look at Charley from the POV of one of „her“ ghosts was a great idea.
Vika aka ♔ of GIF & Grumpy Smut-ateer *P/T Freebie Fairy
Very short story from the perspective of a ghost... very great perspective on how the ghosts see our crazy Charley.

Also, very nice peak into Reyes's powers that are beyond kicking ass and protecting his 'light'.
Lady Jane of Aragorn
Actual rating is 2.75 stars

It was enjoyable and fun as always. The case she was working on was touching and heartbreaking for me. It was also a good bridge to the second book. However, for a novella, a lot from this book was forgettable.

Will still continue with the series.
Susan
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With it being a short story it was good. It has Charley's wit and her compassion. I liked how she was able to find what she was looking for quickly and able to help another pass on.
TheMadHatter
This is a short story that fits between book 1 and 2. Being OCD I had to read these books in sequence, so I gave in and bought this one for my kindle. Less than $1. Bargain....or so I thought.

There is nothing to this short story. I think I finished it in 20 minutes and that was with distractions. I knew it was a short story going into it, but I didn't realise it was a SHORT story. It is a bit misleading as you are clicking away on your kindle so you get the impression the story is actually long,
Colleen Scidmore
A woman appears in Charley's apartment very early in the morning with a nightgown and bunny slippers and of course she is dead because Charley is The Grim Reaper. She does not know who she is or how she has died but she thinks she may have been pregnant! Charley none to happy she is woken up in the middle of the night, gets over it pretty quickly and jumps out of bed because hey that's the life of The Grim Reaper. She sets out to track down who the mystery woman is and what has happened to her a ...more
Maria Dimitrova
Dec 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Giselle
Aug 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
When I got this on my reader I saw it was 68 pages so I thought ok a good little novella but no, it actually only has about 30 pages with excerpt of the other 3 books in the series. So it's an uber quick read.

We go through the other side, well not THE other side… of the fence being in Jo Anne's point of view. A recently deceased young woman who's found her way to Charley and trying to figure out just why and how she died. It was interesting to see the ghost and passing over experience and what
Jacqueline's Reads
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pnr
4 Stars

I don’t usually like novellas, but this one was really cute.

She’s trying to help the women pass on and as you read, you figure out who she is and what happened to her. It’s a SUPER quick read, but if you are a fan of Reyes, well you should give this a go because he has bits in this one.
Ronda
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-favourites
OH MY GOODNESS!!!

I actually cried at this novel - what a fantastic short story from an outside point of view... We see Charley here as her true self and what she does for the person that needs her help... a wonderful heart wrenching story - beautiful!!!
Kirstie
Jun 24, 2018 rated it liked it
2.5 really. Not terrible, but just nothing really to this short story. Totally one that can be skipped and you won’t miss a thing.
Sara Oxton
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For I have Sinned by Darynda Jones an enlightening five-star read. I had read this previously as part of a newsletter or short story series or something, but when I spotted it again I knew I had to read it again and again, despite finishing the Charley Davidson series numerous times, this one still gives me the warm and fuzzies. This one just seems to be the epitome of Charley, it shows us her brightness from the other side, her cheerfulness and a little of her softer side, the one that she will ...more
Carmen Pacheco
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
So, yes, I'm unashamedly still on the Darynda Jones high. I was about to dive into Book 2 when I happened upon her website and found this novella tagged #1.5, For I Have Sinned. Imagine if I'd read out of order?! Ummm, no...no one needs to see me that deranged. HA! In truth, I'd have kicked my own butt for missing out on this beaut. I wonder, though: Why this short story before Second Grave on the Right? What HAD to be said quickly and not fleshed out in a full length or even incorporated into.. ...more
1st read - November 2011
2nd read - November 2018

For I Have Sinned is a short story set in the Charley Davidson series between book one (First Grave on the Right) and book two (Second Grave on the Left). I have to say straight away don't read this story if you haven't read the first book - it will give you major spoilers if you do. To be honest I'm pretty sure I picked up a spoiler anyway and I only just finsihed reading the first book! I am wondering if that's because the version I read was an A
Shera (Book Whispers)
After finishing up First Grave on the Right I knew that this series had me. Normally I don't care about shorts and only follow them for a few series. I hadn't planned on doing shorts for the Charley Davidson books, but after book one I knew I was a goner. I will now read anything that has anything to do with Charley.

So I hunted down a copy, and the rest of the series to date, and sat down to read this short. Which surprised me as it was told by a ghost that had found her way to Charley's light.
Under the Covers Book Blog

For I Have Sinned is a short story following First Grave on the Right (book 1 from Charley Davidson Series). Charley is a private investigator but being a PI is just a disguise. She is really a Soul Reaper who helps lost souls “go to the light”. No, really, Charley shines like a beacon to call the lost souls to her.

The books in this series are told as a first person POV by Charley herself, but not in this novella. This story is told by a lost soul seeking Charley’s help. Also as a first pers

Netanella
First line: “Falling. I remember falling.”

Well, damn, this short story, told from the first person perspective of a newly created ghost, was better for me than the first book. And re-sparked my desire to continue the series. It was good to see Charley from the eyes of a ghost, with all of her awesome traits and her peculiarities. And the ghost's story was touching, sad, and nicely done. Recommended short, but not a stand alone.

• Kicking It
  • A Wedding Breakfast (Guild Hunter, #5.1)
  • Witching For Hope (Premonition Pointe, #2)
  • End Game (The Foundling, #5)
  • Who's Midlife Crisis Is It Anyway? (Good To The Last Death, #2)
  • Head Over Wheels
  • LOTTERY GIRL: part 2 of 6
  • The Gauntlet (Cassandra Palmer #0.5)
  • The Accidental Troll (Accidentally Paranormal Book 19)
  • Bride of the Sea Monster (Welcome to Hell #8)
  • A Most Excellent Midlife Crisis (Good To The Last Death, #3)
  • In Vino Veritas (Dorina Basarab, #2.1)
  • The Queen's Witch (Cassandra Palmer #0.6)
  • Hexing with a Chance of Tornadoes (Grimm Cove, #2)
  • A Sip of Eternity (Guild Hunter, #7.3)
  • Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12)
  • The Fourth Power (Order of Magic, #3)
  • Third Time’s a Charm (Order of Magic, #2)
NYTimes and USA Today Bestselling Author Darynda Jones has won numerous awards for her work, including a prestigious RITA, a Golden Heart, and a Daphne du Maurier, and her books have been translated into 17 languages. As a born storyteller, Darynda grew up spinning tales of dashing damsels and heroes in distress for any unfortunate soul who happened by, certain they went away the better for it. Sh ...more

Charley Davidson (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1)
  • Second Grave on the Left (Charley Davidson, #2)
  • Third Grave Dead Ahead (Charley Davidson, #3)
  • Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet (Charley Davidson, #4)
  • Fifth Grave Past the Light (Charley Davidson, #5)
  • Sixth Grave on the Edge (Charley Davidson, #6)
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
  • The Dirt on Ninth Grave (Charley Davidson, #9)
  • The Curse of Tenth Grave (Charley Davidson, #10)