Start by marking “Truth Restored” as Want to Read:
Truth Restored

Truth Restored

4.33  ·  Rating Details ·  3,992 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
A Short History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Published (first published 1947)

To ask other readers questions about Truth Restored, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Truth Restored

Steve
Aug 08, 2011 Steve rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The LDS church gives people a very sanitized version of its true history.
Jake
Jun 15, 2009 Jake rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
I’m giving this book two stars because I’m grading on an academic/historical curve. As such it is a soft piece, glossy and simplistic with a Sunday School approach. It is testimonial, not objective or comphrehensive.For instance, you won't find a forthright discussion of Joseph Smith's extensive forays into polygamy. As such, I would not recommend it for those wanting to make an academic study of Mormon history.

That being said, this book can be viewed as a useful primer to LDS beliefs. It is rea
Annette
Feb 09, 2016 Annette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this little book. It contains a sweet story from Church History of my fourth Great-grandfather, Elijah Fordham, being raised from the dead by God's Prophet of the Restoration, Joseph Smith. A modern-day miracle.
David Sylvester
Jul 23, 2017 David Sylvester rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful short history of the Church!!!
Ashleigh Olds
Tanya W
As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I found this to be a spiritually uplifting book as well as a quick read. I read it on my mission. It tells of important events in church history, and as the title indicates, focuses on events of the Restoration.

For those not aware, restoration refers to our belief that Jesus's church was restored to the earth after a period of "falling away" or apostasy... when the gospel and prophets were no longer on earth in response to their bei
Tamra
Jan 14, 2009 Tamra rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: every Mormon
Recommended to Tamra by: the Church
This was given to me when I was 14 or so, by my Sunday School teacher. It came with Our Heritage the same year we were studying the Doctrine and Covenants. I started reading Our Heritage and almost instantly disliked it. It gives the fluffy cute version of church history, and at the time I had no patience for that.

Truth Restored, however, (which, as an aside: the book I was given does not even list the author. I didn't know it was written by Gordon B. Hinckley until years later) gave a fair des
Hayley Shaver
I liked this book. It told of the restoration of the gospel on earth, and the trials the pioneers and their families had to endure. Orson Hyde, one of my direct line's patriarchs, has a line or two in the book. Also, Joseph Smith, another very distant relative, is the focus of much of this book. The second half of this book mostly focuses on important gospel principles. There is an index of songs and notes in the back of the book. If you are a member of my church, this will interest you very muc ...more
Tara
Jan 08, 2009 Tara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: church, non-fiction, 2009
Believe it or not, I found that I was bored one night (not that I didn't have anything to do, just that I didn't want to do any of it), so I headed to the bookshelf and "Truth Restored" caught my eye. I hadn't realized it was written by President Hinckley. It was wonderful to read about the history of the Church, and it kind of started me on a Church history kick. It is really fascinating. Although I already new much of the information, there were many bits of information that were new to me. I ...more
Dee Doyle
May 04, 2016 Dee Doyle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read this book numerous times. It is one of my go to books as I read my scriptures. Every year I try to read about various aspects of the Book of Mormon and the Doctrine of Covenants. While reading these, I find myself falling back trying to form a more cohesive understanding of the scriptures and the doctrine of the LDS religion.
Fred D
Feb 16, 2008 Fred D rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
I read this when I was either investigating the LDS Church or shortly after I joined, I don't remember which. It was my real introduction to Church History. I found it very interesting. At the time I didn't know much about Gordon B. Hinckley. Little did I know at the time that he would go on to lead the Church as one of it's greatest leaders of the century...
Danny
Jul 13, 2008 Danny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lds-religious
Now that I have listened to the Bio of President Gordon B. Hinckley and realized what an integral part he played in bringing the Church out of obscurity, I have an even greater sense of just how enlightened this account is of the Restoration of the Gospel by a backwoods farmboy chosen to be a prophet.
Heather
Apr 29, 2013 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is nearly all familiar history, though there were some things I didn't know, but President Hinckley has such a way with words. This is very much worth reading, and remembering what a remarkable time this was (and still is!). Makes me miss his Conference talks :)
Catherine
May 09, 2013 Catherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book because it was really informative about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints. I learned things that I hadn't known before. It is a really good reference.
Jami
Jul 09, 2013 Jami rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too short for my taste. Lots of important history left out. As a quickie overview, it's fine.
Aron Affonso
Jun 11, 2008 Aron Affonso rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That is true!
Jacob Laser
really good book
Brenda Cregor
Feb 01, 2010 Brenda Cregor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short. Sweet. True.
Chanel Earl
Jan 10, 2008 Chanel Earl rated it liked it
Shelves: lds
I know I liked this book, but it wasn't the most memorable read. Even a week or two after I read it I was having trouble remembering the specific historical information it presented.
Katie
Oct 23, 2008 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been a while since I read this book, but I really liked it.
Erin
Apr 09, 2009 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't know Pres. Hinckley wrote this book! Do they have it listed right? In any case, I read this on my mission and loved it, of course! It gives very detailed accounts of the Restoration.
Lowell Johnson
Sep 24, 2015 Lowell Johnson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Faithful, not factual, history by a supposed "prophet" of God
Jeffrey
Jan 29, 2012 Jeffrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
Great read on the steps and events of the restoration. A very comprehensive and wonderful read on the restoration.
Allirock
Jun 15, 2008 Allirock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the gospel, it is amazing reading books like this on my mission only confirmed my faith in it.
Jane
Mar 21, 2011 Jane rated it it was ok
rather simplistic. Perhaps he needed to keep it short. No real explanation of certain doctrines.
Other details were new to me. There are probably better texts out there.
Annie
Jul 24, 2009 Annie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was not as detailed as I was expecting.
Jefferson Coombs
Apr 01, 2016 Jefferson Coombs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lds
Read this book on my mission. It is a very good, short & succinct, history of the Church.
Ernie Dawson
Oct 08, 2009 Ernie Dawson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a companion book for those studying church history.
Jim
Oct 11, 2012 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jim-s, laurie-s
Wonderful book!
Chip
Sep 19, 2008 Chip rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the major reasons I joined the church I'm in now.
  • Our Heritage: A Brief History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
  • Articles of Faith (Missionary Reference Library)
  • A Marvelous Work and a Wonder
  • Our Search for Happiness
  • Mormon Doctrine
  • Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith
  • Joseph Smith the Prophet
  • Spencer W. Kimball, Twelfth President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • Because He First Loved Us
  • Of Souls, Symbols, and Sacraments
President Hinckley was known, even at the age of 95, as a tireless leader who always put in a full day at the office and traveled extensively around the world to mix with Church members, now numbering nearly 13 million in 171 nations.

His quick wit and humor, combined with an eloquent style at the pulpit, made him one of the most loved of modern Church leaders. A profoundly spiritual man, he had a
More about Gordon B. Hinckley...