Start by marking “A Bride's Story, Vol. 2 (A Bride's Story, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Bride's Story, Vol. 2 (A Bride's Story, #2)

A Bride's Story, Vol. 2 (A Bride's Story #2)

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  2,977 Ratings  ·  200 Reviews
Acclaimed creator Kaoru Mori's tale of life on the nineteenth-century Silk Road continues as the young bride, Amir Halgal, struggles to remain with her new groom despite the wishes of her family, who would see her wed another. Will Amir be able to preserve the bonds she has cultivated in her new home?
Published October 25th 2011 by Yen Press (first published June 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Bride's Story, Vol. 2, please sign up.
Ana Luisa Depend of the style of stories you like. It's an historical manga with a gorgeous drawing but the story is a little bit slow. If you liked the first…moreDepend of the style of stories you like. It's an historical manga with a gorgeous drawing but the story is a little bit slow. If you liked the first volume, I suggest you read the next ones :)!(less)

Sincerae
I'm going through my second childhood enjoying graphic novels (anime/manga). Actually I'm only interested in the ones which are cultural or historical.

The second installment of A Bride's Story is better than the first story wise. It delves more into the cultural and historical setting of the story than the first book. Mr. Smith (no relation) who is an a young British researcher/anthropologist and is a guest of Karluk and Amir's family is more visible this time in the story. In the first book I
Mehsi
The second volume, the second part of Amira and Karluk's story.

At first it seems all is sweet and quiet in Amira and Karluk's life. The troubles that followed them last time seemed to have passed. But that is just a ruse, Amira's family is still around and still very dedicated to taking their girl with them. No matter that they will have to break up a happy couple and probably get in bad waters with that family.

This book switches between those parts and also shows more about Karluk's family/tow
Estara
Oct 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of historical Silk road slice of life
Recommended to Estara by: It's the mangaka of Emma!
Mely
Oct 11, 2011 rated it liked it
The detail work is as lovely as ever (there are some lovely sequences about sewing clothes and quilts, and some silent sequences about the growing closeness between Amir and Karluk that are vivid and endearing), but this volume goes further into squicky/disappointing territory for me -- the difference between 13 and 20 is so big that I just have a hard time buying Amir's attraction to Karluk, and her seeking his comfort/protection just seems wrong. He's a child! She should be protecting him! Or ...more
Elizabeth A
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, graphix, translated
I'll keep this one short and not repeat all my gushing from my review of the first volume of this Manga series.

The art continues to be superb, the story is engaging, and I got used to all those huge Manga eyes. I love that this story educates about the culture without being heavy handed. Those scenes around the value of sewing, embroidery and dowry cloth are wonderful. Plus, we get introduced to more feisty female characters. Just loved everything about this one.
Sesana
Jul 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Like the previous volume of A Bride's Story, this one was marked by an obviously huge amount of research and painstaking attention to detail. Oh, and incredibly beautiful art, as you can easily see from the cover. Plot? Not so much, though there does seem to be a bit more than in the previous volume. This is historical slice of life, really. If nothing else, this is well worth reading just for the beautiful art. Apparently, the next volume will slightly shift scenery and main characters, so this ...more
Ksenia
Mar 16, 2015 added it
I can stare at the artwork all day. Just beautiful! And I know some may think the plot is slow, but I do like how each chapter shines a light on different aspects of the culture, and the characters, and the life that these people lead.Also, Amir is becoming one of my favorite characters of all time: love and appreciate how strong she is.
Dilrabo Saydalieva
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This vol was partially confusing. There are sudden changes in her characteristic, but I like that her wildness has not gone away.
Doc
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bride-story, manga
Continuing the story of Amir and Karluk who although he is rather young still care very much for one another and face challenges with a tight nit community and friends all while we get a glimpse into a culture that might not be familiar to many of us. From a blossoming friendship with Amir's new friend Pariya (who has problems with finding a husband for being "too cheeky") that she met on Oven Day, to the continuing trouble that Amir's family brings as they try to get her back, to a moment when ...more
Gabriela Paige
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Well that escalated quickly. I love this though. There is so much history and thought put into it.
Elyse NG
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bd
The drawings are A+++
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Stunningly gorgeous. Really great enchanting story with beautiful detail and grace.
Liloo Looli
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
J'ai encore une fois adoré ce tome (avec un gros coup de coeur pour la partie sur les broderies). On en apprend également un peu plus sur Henry Smith (personnage qui me fait beaucoup rire). J'ai hâte de lire la suite !
Dawn Breeze
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
قصة ممتعة و إن كانت القصة تتنقل بين الشخصيات مما يشتت القارئ قليلا
إلا أنها تظل ممتعة
الرسومات جميلة
الكاتبة مطلعة اطلاعا جيدًا على الثقافة العربية و الإسلامية
Brie
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Volume 2 resumes the conflict from Vol. 1 in which Amir's family attempts to reclaim her, take her back from the family she married into. Her older brother Azel, though, doesn't pursue her with the intensity their uncles want him to, and that's because the family they want to marry her into is not kind to their women. So Amir's uncles stage an attack on Karluk's village, and the villagers fight them off. This brings some action scenes to the story, all still beautifully and dynamically drawn.

Am
Ariel ✨
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This manga is a historical romance set in a small town near the Caspian Sea in the 19th Century. Otoyogematari means "A Bride's Story" in English, so the stories revolve around courting, weddings, and married life of the people during that time period.

The illustrations are beautiful! Kaori Mori goes all out on the elaborate clothing and draperies that adorn the characters and their houses. The backgrounds are lovely and Mori certainly does not skimp on inking the endlessly long, dark hair of eve
Erin Germain
The artwork continues to delight and amaze me. There was a chapter where the women were discussing embroidery and different patterns that were associated with their family. The detail in those panels was so wonderful.

The story does not move at the rapid-fire pace some manga does, but it does advance. Amir's relatives have not given up their attempts to bring her back to the clan so they can marry her off to someone else whom they consider to be more advantageous.

I have Volume 3 arriving soon and
Jenni Joru
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: na
1800-luvun keski-Aasiaan sijoittuva tarina. Nuori Amira jatkaa elämäänsä puolisonsa perheessä ja ystävystyy äksyyn Pariyaan. Pariyasta onkin apua, kun Amiran sukulaiset päättävät viedä Amiran kotiin ja naittaa hänet uudelleen strategisesti sopivammalle puolisolle. Heidän vaateensa on aiheellinen, sillä Amiran puoliso on hyvin nuori. Avioelämä odottaa vielä ja siksi lapsiakaan ei ole tulossa. Amiran uusi perhe suojelee kuitenkin pidettyä miniäänsä.

Kiehtova tarina ja eksoottisen arjen kuvaus.
Belinda
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
2nd volume slightly better than the first because we get to learn about the embroidery of the women and see a culture from the perspective of the Western male. The WM is a visiting sociologist? or maybe just a man interested in Asian cultures? He is watching and chronicling life with the clan and so notices detail.

Fantastic art, great characters, empathetic, gentle, loving relationships within families with hints of anger and violence from external sources. Life is political but also deeply habi
Emma
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I'm so glad that I continued reading this series! I love how Amir's character is adjusting to her new life and connecting with those around her. In this volume, tensions with Amir's former clan increase greatly, cultural elements and activities are highlighted, and Mr. Smith's habits gain a focus as well. And, as usual, the art continues to contain vivid detail. Even though everything is in black and white, the pictures sometimes seem to jump out of the pages.
P.
Feb 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, series
Author's note said she may follow the anthropologist dude in the next books, which means we as readers avoid the inevitable weird bedroom scenes between Amir and Karluk. I was beginning to worry about that. I still like the series, though. Especially the cloth chapter.
Bookeen la rouquine
les dessins sont vraiment magnifiques, de plus l'histoire est vraiment prenante, on s'attache très vite à karluk et amir. et cerise sur le gâteau c'est bourré d'informations sur les anciennes coutumes nomades en Asie centrale. bref cette série vaut vraiment le detour
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
May 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
A bit confusing with all the characters, but still so enjoyable. The afterwords are always the funniest part of the books.
Emrys
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it
so the second volume is sort of what I spoke of in the first volume. The characters are bland but with Mr Smith there is a bit of development.

Once again the chapters are episodic and only has one story plot that connects with the first volume. Amirs uncles want Amir back and the family won't give her up so there is a lot happening there. but that's just a small part of the volume. The rest of the book deals with more culture and funny moments. my favourites in this volume are the part where Ami
fonz
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Buenísimo tebeo histórico-romántico-costumbrista ambientado en Asia central, zona del mar Caspio, a mediados del siglo XIX. Me está gustando muchísimo, sobre todo cuando no hay conflicto, y se limita a pequeños asuntos cotidianos, la primera historia sobre como los dos protagonistas solucionan un "no me pasa nada, cariño" (y qué bien está llevada la relación entre una mujer de veinte años y un chaval de doce) o cuando las mujeres de la familia sacan las telas de dote de bisabuelas y tatarabuelas ...more
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This must be my manga summer...

This volume contains a conflict between Amir's former family and the family into which she has married. Her family would like to take her back and marry her into another clan to improve relations between their two clans. Amir is happy with her new family and doesn't wish to leave. Things escalate to quite a fight, but she remains safe for the time being.

This volume also has lighter elements, such as bread making and cloth preparations (embroidery including pattern
Rahmah
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, my-own, kaoru-mori
Makin seruuuuuu ceritanya. Konfliknya mulai terlihat. Detail banget Mori-sensei buat motif bordirannya. Makin terasa vibe Asia Tengahnya.

Membandingkan tokoh utama laki-lakinya dengan komik genre yang sama macam Dear Mine dan The World is Still Beautiful beda banget. Kalau di 2 komik sebelumnya lelakinya terkesan dingin dan agak egois, tapi Karluk adem ayem aja :D, belum kelihatan ke-hero-annya nih *yahh,, ada 1 lha di jilid ini :>*.
brightredglow
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a re-read. Artwork is so beautiful that is makes up for any shortcoming but this volume is a particular favorite because it introduces Pariya, a young girl who is good at bread making but so forthright and bold that she hasn't yet been married off. It is understandable why she is not yet married and at the same time, you know that given the culture she is in that it puts her in a precarious position. The volume isn't about her though; it is mostly about Amir and her family's attempt to t ...more
Anniken Haga
I'm surprised at how invested I am in this story.
Normally I'm not big on stories like this, but something has hocked me, sinker and all.

The art style is so detailed and beautiful. I can sit and look at one picture for long minutes at a time before moving on in the story.
The story in itself is contemporary, but I've rather fallen for Amir, and I really want to know where this story ends!
Melissa
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
What I liked in this volume:

1. Gorgeous artwork (I especially enjoyed the chapter on the various generations of tapestries that were passed down to the family)

2. More action than the first book, and

3. More details and explanations on the history and culture of the nomadic tribe (thanks to the introduction of the British researcher, Mr. Smith).
  • Ōoku: The Inner Chambers, Volume 2 (Ōoku: The Inner Chambers / 大奥, #2)
  • Bunny Drop, Vol. 3
  • Cross Game 2 (Cross Game, #4-5)
  • Yotsuba&!, Vol. 9 (Yotsuba&! #9)
  • The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 3
  • Wandering Son, Vol. 2
  • Vinland Saga, Omnibus 2
  • Library Wars: Love & War, Vol. 5 (Library Wars: Love & War, #5)
Kaoru Mori (森 薫) is a mangaka best known for her series "Emma". Many of her stories are set in Britain and center on characters who are maids.

A Bride's Story (10 books)
  • A Bride's Story, Vol. 1 (A Bride's Story, #1)
  • A Bride's Story, Vol. 3 (A Bride's Story, #3)
  • A Bride's Story, Vol. 4 (A Bride's Story, #4)
  • A Bride's Story, Vol. 5 (A Bride's Story, #5)
  • 乙嫁語り 6 (Otoyomegatari, #6)
  • 乙嫁語り 7 (Otoyomegatari, #7)
  • 乙嫁語り 8 (Otoyomegatari, #8)
  • 乙嫁語り 9 (Otoyomegatari, #9)
  • 乙嫁語り 10 (Otoyomegatari, #10)

Romance Deals

• The Wedding Shroud (Tales of Ancient Rome, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1)
  • Better Off Without Him
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Veronica's Dragon (Icehome, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • No Prince Charming (Secrets of Stone Series Book 1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • A Loyal Heart (An Uncertain Choice, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Surrender (Steel Brothers Saga, #6)
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Forged in Smoke (Red-Hot SEALs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunted (The Warrior Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Husband's Regret (Unwanted, #2)
  • Be My Reason
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed (Honor Bound Book 2)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • His Unlikely Lover (Unwanted, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Love Me Sweet (Bell Harbor, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Ember (Red-Hot SEALs, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taking Catie (Temptation Saga #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Desire After Dark (Gansett Island, #14)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Scotch King (Scotch #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • This Love of Mine (Mirror Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Seaside Hearts (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forgotten Secrets (Singing River Legacy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Knight (Endgame, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Storm Warrior (Grim, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bayside Passions (Bayside Summers, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures with a Rookie (Misadventures, #11)
  • Finding Libbie: A Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love at Last (Love in Bloom: The Bradens at Peaceful Harbor, #6.5)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Nitro's Torment (Sydney Storm MC #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Strange Hymn (The Bargainer #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Only You
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Lily and the Duke (Sex and the Season #1)
  • A Girl's Best Friend
    $9.99 $1.99
  • My Once and Future Duke (The Wagers of Sin, #1)
  • Surrender/Submission Bound Hearts 1 & 2
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Burn (Steel Brothers Saga, #5)
    $7.99 $3.49
  • Mistress of Magic
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • INK: A Love Story on 7th and Main
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Misadventures of a City Girl (Misadventures, #2)
  • A Ruthless Proposition
  • Hometown Girl
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mind (Trinity Trilogy #2)
    $6.99 $2.49
  • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Decaying Empire (The Vanishing Girl, #2)
  • The Fixer Upper
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Room for More (Cranberry Inn Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Forever Hunted (Forever Bluegrass #9)
  • The Cafe by the Sea
  • My Brother Michael
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Elect (Eagle Elite, #2)
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • Dodging Temptation
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Find Me (Corrupted Hearts #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunger (The Energy Vampires #2)
  • Bittersweet
  • The Light In Summer
    $5.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Collision Point (Brute Force, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Heirs of Grace
  • Storm Bound (Grim, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Valiant (Spy Girl Book 4)
  • Wrecked
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sapphire Heist (Jewel, #2)
  • The Other Side of the Story
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Out of Focus (Adams Grove, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • What If
  • Impossible Saints
    $22.73 $1.99
  • Hudson (Fixed, #4)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Only a Millionaire (The Sinclairs #6.5)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Elite (Eagle Elite, #1)
  • Kulti
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Soul Summoner  (The Soul Summoner, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • April / May / June (Calendar Girl #4-6)
    $8.99 $3.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • Valorous (Quantum, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tempting Dusty (Temptation Saga, #1)
  • When Never Comes
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Misadventures with the Boss (Misadventures, #12)
  • The End of the Affair
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Baby Daddy
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twice Bitten (Argeneau #27)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Misadventures of a Good Wife (Misadventures, #6)
  • Calendar Girl: Volume Three
    $8.99 $3.99
  • Love and Other Unknown Variables
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Storm Warned (Grim, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Real Thing (Sugar Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Bronze Horseman (The Bronze Horseman, #1)
  • A Messy, Beautiful Life
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Pestilence (The Four Horsemen, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Twisted Up (Taking Chances, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Forged In Ash (Red-Hot SEALs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Light After Dark (Gansett Island, #15)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Fangs and Fennel (The Venom Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • How To Marry A Werewolf (Claw & Courtship, #1)