Start by marking “All by Myself” as Want to Read:
All by Myself

All by Myself (Little Critter)

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  6,761 Ratings  ·  99 Reviews
Published March 13th 2001 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about All by Myself, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All by Myself

Jason Koivu
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
*Read by me, reviewed by my niece*

All by Myself is the day-in-the-life story of a young, scruffy monster-boy, who shall go nameless, because his name was never given. He gets up, gets himself dressed and fed, "helps" feed and play with his sister, plays by himself, "helps" his parents, then hits the hay. Not a lot of nail-biting excitement here, but there's some laughs to be had.

Niece Emma (who turned 4 on Saturday with an off-the-chain party...yeah, there was face painting) didn't want to read
Josiah
Apr 24, 2009 rated it it was ok
I like this book quite a bit. The pictures and words very definitely form a part of the backbone that is my life. Mercer Mayer certainly has had a substantial impact.
Brenda
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun finding the mouse!
Kat
Oct 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011, picture-books
It's a terribly cute little story about a little guy trying to go through his day doing everything by himself. The illustrations are funny and cute. You have the added bonus of having the child reading along find the mouse in most of the illustrations. On my color Nook, you can touch the pictures and the word of the item touched will pop up with audio of the word being said. The mouse hunt is also by touch and tallied for you; the book tells you how well you did at the end in finding them all. A ...more
Trisha Stragand
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is about how little critter can do many things independently. I read this to my kindergarten class to help them learn what the word independent means, so that they could learn how to be like little critter and be independent learners.
Rebecca RDG 3320
Jun 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love this whole collection of stories...they are great...lots of activites to do with them.
Ray
Jun 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ar-books
BL 1.3
0.5 pts
Albert Vazquez
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I like this book because he helps everyone and that is what I like to do so yeah
Tamera Fleming
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-summaries
1) Book summary: Al by Myself demostrate how little Critter can do everything on his own while having little slip up here and there. You have to read the book to learn the things he was able to do without his parents.
2) Grade level, interest level, lexile : The grade level for this book is kindergarten to the 2nd grade. The interest level for this book I would recommend for the ages 2-5 years ago. I still love the Mercer Mayer books! The lexile for this book is AD370L.
3) Appropriate classroom u
Caitlin Olson
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: el230
This book was good. I think it is more for kindergarten and first grade. This book would be good with general reading skills. It would be a good lesson to talk about characters. You could also talk about details of what the characters did
Grace Bradley
Apr 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
"All by Myself" tells the story of a little boy critter who is exploring all the tasks he is able to do on his own. It takes you through a series of household tasks that can make a young kid feel very independent from buttoning his own overalls, to helping his mother frost a cake. The critter gives his best effort despite not being able to complete the tasks perfectly. I really liked this book because it highlighted the effort of a child and even though he didn not complete the tasks very well, ...more
Kyounga Kim
Oct 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
It is a review of the digital version of the book: all by myself. I found this app in apple app store. When we appreciate apps or want to use as a children's literacy material, we should consider if it is a quality electronic text, or not. One of the important elements that makes good app is the quality of image. The appreciation of how well little critter can do all of the things that he can do by himself is only fully realized when text and image are considered together. We can see the importa ...more
Angie
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Synopsis: "All the many things a young child can do independently are demonstrated, (tying shoes, riding bike, kicking ball), but there is one thing one cannot do alone."

My Review: Of course we love Little Critter books and this is a great one for young ones, especially when they are trying to do more and more things on their own but maybe getting a little frustrated that they can't do everything yet. Munchkin really enjoyed reading this book, and pointing out all the things he can do all by him
Justina Servantes
May 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eng-353

Little Critter is proving that he can do things like brush his fur, brush his teeth, ride his tricycle and put himself to bed all by himself. This is a great book with a character is very determined to prove that he can do things without any help. This shows how children are when they reach the age where they want their own independence. The age appropriate would be kindergarten where the child is now learning how to do multiple things like writing their names, reading and dressing themselves. I
Fabida Abdulla
Sep 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kiddie-books
In this book, Little Critter attempts to do a lot of stuff by himself, even things he can’t actually do, which leads to a few funny situations. This is a great book for toddlers/preschoolers who are now in the ‘I’ll do it alone’ stage. It’s a nice way to differentiate between what they can do and what they can’t do without making a mess. The book is supposed to foster independence (not that kids need any help there :-)) and encourage little ones to be safe while exploring their skills.
The Critte
Brent Rogers
Jan 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
This book is about a character that goes by “Little Critter” in most books by Mercer Mayer. Littler Critter lists all the things he can do by himself in this book. It proves to little children that they can do simple tasks by themselves and not always rely on their parents. Some tasks he can accomplish are: brushing his teeth, comb his hair, put himself to bed, and watch his little sister. One thing he can’t do is go to bed without a story. It’s very important that parents read to their children ...more
Iman Tabbaa
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: all-about-me
Little Critter demonstrates all of the things he can do by himself. HE can ties his own shoes,pour his own drink, brush his own fur, etc. Even though he spills a little or ties his shoes together, he's still independent and does the best he can.

I would use this book to encourage independence. Children feel confident when they can start to do things on their own. This would be a way to get children thinking about what they can do by themselves. I think this book would go well in a house play cent
Meghan
Aug 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
I didn't want to rate every Mercer Mayer Little Critters books so I thought I'd mark just one of the favorites. I admit that these books weren't on my top ten shelf despite the illustrations but I gave them a 4 star rating not because of my personal feelings but because of the boy's love for them. These books are in high rotation at our house. The boys often repeat the stories to themselves, look at the illustrations, and reference the stories during the day. Who can complain about a book that h ...more
Carissa M
Sep 16, 2012 rated it liked it
"All By Myself" by Mercer Mayer, is a perfect book for parents to read to their children. The book relates to kids at that age where they think they can do everything on their own without any help. It also pushes for parents to read to their children before bed, "I can put myself to bed... but I can't go to bed without a story" (Mayer). The author in her other books addresses a lot of issues that kids face growing up. I highly recommend these books, they're a fun way to help kids and their paren ...more
Connie
Aug 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
I've bought a number of Little Critter books for my nieces, because they really like them.

And anyway, they're short, they're funny, they're topical, and they're cheap.

In this one, Little Critter details all the things he can do "by himself". Of course, the illustrations give the lie to his words - sure he can pour his own juice, but he doesn't say that he spills, that sort of thing.

Anyway, he very cutely does a lot of things "by himself" before reading that he can't tuck himself into bed - he n
Amanda Kolar
Mayer(1983) tells a story about a Little Critter that can do things throughout the day by himself to help his parents out but there is one thing he can’t do. He can’t go to sleep without a story begin read to him. I would use this in my classroom. It would help me teach my children the things they can do to help their parents out as they get a little older and are able to do a few things around the house.
Charles
Jul 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Next to "Where the Wild Things Are," the Mercer Mayer Little Critter books were my son's favorite bedtime reading when he was little. I probably read this one and other Mayer books to him a hundred times. Personally, these were also my favorites to read to him. I'm going to include reviews on those that I particularly remember.

This is a book about Little Critter's independence, although it all happens in a very funny way.
Christie rdg3320
Jun 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book is good for K-1st because it talks about learning to do things on your own. It teaches them that though they want to do everything on their own there are still some things you need help with and thats okay. The things discussed in this book are simple things that students of this age are trying to do on their own so they can relate to it. I would use this book at the beginning of the year to help them understand that they will begin to learn to do things on their own.
Lauren Derosa
I thought that this book was very simple yet it was funny in its own way. I thought it was amusing that the main character in the book showed us of all of the things that he can do by himself and how helpful he can be, yet the pictures show that he is still a young child and messes up when he thinks he is being helpful. I think that this book would suit readers ages 0-5 as a picture book because it has big pictures with just a few words on each page.
Rosa Cline
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, bedtime, 2014, 2017
Mercer Mayer's Critters are such a cute group of characters to read about and the illustrations are always so nice. This book helps encourage younger children to do things on their own and 'by myself' but also in the end makes them realize that its still okay to have help on some things too :) Cute little book (we read it several times in the week we had it checked out from the library)
Feb 03, 2013 rated it liked it
This story has given me a glimpse at what my 8 month old will be like in a few years. Even now, he squawks at me when I try to do anything for him that he thinks he can do himself (eat, stand, read). He loves to grab the book from my hand, flip the pages, and babble nonsense at the top of his lungs. This is a great book for independent kids!
Linda Branich
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
This is one of Mercer Mayer's Little Critter series books that talks about all kinds of life issues and experiences. All By Myself is a book about growing up and all the different things that Little Critter can do at this particular stage of his life. Younger children will be inspired to see if they can do all the things that Little Critter can do by hhimself and be more independent.
I like how this book realistically shows what it looks like when the child helps out at home. I feel like quite a few of my students will be able to relate to the story. this story would be nice for a circle time about how they help out.

Interest Level
Grades K - 2
Reading Level
Grade level Equivalent: 1.9
Lexile® Measure: AD370L
DRA: 8
Guided Reading: E
My first graders love Little Critter. We read this story and then made a writing extension where they then wrote about situations in which they wanted to do something independently and might have gotten into a bit of trouble for doing so. We talked about what was appropriate for children to do on their own and what definitely was not.
jacky
Dec 02, 2011 rated it liked it
This book really captures toddlers and preschoolers well. Critter does all sorts of things by himself. He boasts about all of them, even though they are not all done exactly right. Like most of the critter books we've read, there is lots to look at and talk about that young children are familiar with.
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Bad Habit
  • In a People House
  • A to Z
  • The Three Billy Goats Gruff
  • My Tooth Is About to Fall Out
  • Just a Bully
I began illustrating books in 1966. Since that time I have published over 300 books. Most of my books are about things that happened to me when I was a little kid. Now I'm a big kid and I write about things that happen now, especially with my own children. They always remind me of what it was like.

I was born in Arkansas in 1943. Boy, that was a long time ago! It's real fun to be an old kid. Then m
More about Mercer Mayer...

Little Critter (1 - 10 of 171 books)
  • Just for You (Little Critter)
  • Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter)
  • The New Baby (Little Critter)
  • I Was So Mad
  • Just Go to Bed
  • Just Grandma and Me
  • Just Grandpa and Me (Little Critter)
  • Me Too! (Little Critter)
  • Merry Christmas, Mom and Dad