Start by marking “No Comebacks” as Want to Read:

No Comebacks

Here are ten suspenseful, serpentine stories of betrayal, blackmail, murder, and revenge... all culminating in shocking twists of fate. Within these pages live a wealth of characters you will not soon forget... people whose lives become irrevocably trapped in a world of no comebacks, beyond the point of no return--from the manipulators and the manipulated to the ultra-rich ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published March 1983 by Bantam (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about No Comebacks, please sign up.

Start your review of No Comebacks
Linda
This is without a doubt the perfect book to leave in your guest room. They will discover 10 short stories with just enough twists and turns to keep them intrigued , peppered with memorable characters that may linger in a dream ,and sprinkled with a sometimes wry sense of humor that may leave a twinkle in the eye.
It is hard for me to pick a favorite. But I will say that I believe this little gem has the power to make anyone fall in love with the short story all over again.
Arjün Kaül
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If I had to introduce young people to the joy of reading, this is probably one of the books I'd highly recommend. Compelling stories, all masterfully crafted and well written by a smooth literary hand that never eases up the excitement. There's a reason why Frederick Forsythe is one of the kings of thrillers. This book has ten examples of that.
Don't take my word for it. Here read a sample of the first story and decide for your own self.
Cheryl
Jun 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I have never been a fan of the short story. I picked this up and was hooked on page one. All the stories are excellent and no two are the same. I would highly recommend this book. The story called The Emperor will be one that stays with me a for years.
Peter
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books ever written. I absolutely love "The Emperor" This book left me hungering for another short story fest with Mr Forsyth but alas it was not to be. I have read this book many times and find old hardcover copies to give as gifts.
Minnie
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book languishes in the book collection of our beach house and this weekend I reread it again. It is generally difficult for me to rate a collection of short stories because their quality can vary from excellent to dismal. "Duty" and "Sharp Practice" are my least favourite stories but "Privilege" and "A Careful Man" are rare and precious gems that should be used as examples of how short stories should be written. My best quote comes from Privilege, when the judge looks at the complainant and ...more
Nancy
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
This read was a surprise for me. A friend bought this book, originally published in 1972, at a library book sale and gave it to me. Just glancing at the cover I determined this wouldn't be the kind of book I would normally read, figuring it was a kind of who-dunnit read. But am working through the 30 books unread on my bookshelf and chose this one this week.

What a lovely surprise as I discovered this to be a book of 10 short stories, most about crime and whether it pays or not and a few that
Viceroy
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A great collection of short stories each with a unique twist at the end. In true Frederick Forsyth tradition, each short has , good plot pacing and wonderful descriptions. Would certainly like to read more short stories by this author.
Richard Jr.
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
No Comebacks by Frederick Forsyth (4.5 - 5 Stars)
Forsyth is a master on the same level as Wilber Smith when it comes to being a raconteur of tales. In the same was a Smith, he picks an area of the word he knows best for this set of short stories an pulls the reader in from the first paragraph. Of the ten short stories, I actually have three favorites and a fourth that I loved although it has a slight flaw which may never have been pointed out in previous reviews.
First, a bit about my three
Thomas Strömquist
My absolute favorite collection of short stories and a great accomplishment by the author. All the stories herein succeeds in keeping the interest, twisting and surprising, while staying on the right side of disbelief. No-one will read this one and then fail to mention "No snakes in Ireland", which is wonderful, but there are 9 more great ones as well. Recommended for reading aloud also!
Sonia Gomes
Apr 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Sonia by: Got an old copy, which I never would swap !
These ten stories keep you on the edge of the chair throughout, nail biting suspense,always with a twist at the end.
My favorites "Money with Menaces" and "Used in Evidence" absolutely fantastic.
No spoilers here!!
John Pye
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm a real sucker for short stories and this book did not let me down. These I found were Forsyth at his writing best with some great lines and plenty of wit in some of the tales... from the retired bomb disposal officer to the wealthy underworld entrepreneur/gangster the characters are splendid and believable concoctions from Forsyth's imagination. A good book.
Namiko
Dec 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book includes four short stories by Frederick Forsyth:

There are some days...
A Careful Man
Sharp Practice

It was very short and easy for me to understand the plots so I could read it very quickly even when I was too tired to do anything.
Ben B
Feb 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own
A collection of wonderful, unforgettable short stories. Some, like the title story, appear to be studies or sketches for full-length novels. Others, such as "Used in Evidence," are perfect gems, with nothing more to be added.
Tereza
Jul 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
All the krimi stories were really impressive with surprising end. But two last - "A Careful Man" and "Sharp Practice" weren't really krimis and I knew from the beginning how this story ends.

Aditya Patil
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thrillers
Can't possibly explain how much I enjoyed reading this book. Read it during a very difficult and dreary time; few pages everyday after too much of mental exhaustion, and it has been a great relief. There are very few books, this included, that give you the feeling of pure enjoyment.

The first story alone, though I enjoyed the rest, deserves five stars.
Sonali Dabade
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this book a while ago and this collection of short stories ensured that I appreciated the genius called Frederick Forsyth. My Dad was and still is a huge fan. But this one was one of Forsyth's only books that I absolutely loved.

(Don't remember which year I read it.)
Hitessh Panchal
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I never heard of Forsyth writing short stories and when this one crossed the shelf, I could not resist picking it up.

No Comeback is a compilation of ten stories by the master story teller.

Does he manage to bring in the same detailing like he does in his regular thrillers?
-You Bet.

All stories except one were excellent.

Goodread only if you have loved reading Forsyth previously as his habit of meticulously detailing a crime and happening of a crime can bore you to death !!!
Christian D.  Orr
Dec 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An excellent collection of short stories by Mr. Frederick Forsyth, all loaded with intrigue and ending with fiendishly clever plot twists. The ending of the opening--and titular--story has arguably the most shocking and gut-wrenching ending of them all. IMHO, the most satisfying are "The Emperor" (a bit of "The Old Man and the Sea" meets "The Taming of the Shrew" for lack of a better analogy) and "Privilege" (it's great to see an uppity, seemingly untouchable mainstream media journalist get his ...more
Douglas Lord
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I thought these ancient short stories were really good. Nothing incredible, even a bit pat. Three short stories are collected here, each tightly wound with tension, logic and suspense. Set in Britain, Forsyth's investigations dwell upon the fine art of planned homicide. Plots are built carefully: a protagonist is introduced and defined, a motive is created, and events ensue with moribund rigor. The title story focuses on playboy Mark Sanderson, a man who "liked women," perhaps to a fault. He ...more
Jan C
Sep 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthology, 2016, suspense
I put this done for several years. So there must have been something missing in the first few stories in this collection. Because at least six of the last 7 were just terrific. I only exclude the last story because it was a little predictable.

The other stories had such a reminiscent flavor of O. Henry, who I read many years ago. He uses a similar turn of irony in these stories.

If I have a favorite story, and I'm not sure that I do, it may be "Used in Evidence". In this story, a man is smeared in
Vijai
Jan 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: onetimeread
An OK read, really. Mr Forsyth tries to shove the twist-in-the-end plot twist in every damn story, Thing is, it works with some and fails miserably with others.

Case in example being that story of the judge getting conned. It was so plain obvious the priest wasn't who he was and that the other dude was playing him but the author had to drag the reader into an unnecessary court room scene and then the equally flat anti-climax.

Pick this book if you are broke at a second hand mart to satiate that
John Clark
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I believe that anyone would enjoy you can short stories even if they are not spy enthusiasts. Each story has its own unique setting and characters all of them completely believable and Each story ends with a twist the reader could not imagine. I highly recommend this book.
Peregrine 12
Nov 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
I started this one but didn't get to finish it. However: these stories, written largely in the 1970's, are a LOT of fun! Very exciting read. I will finish this one soon, I hope. (Tip: Check out Forsyth's 'The Afghan' and 'The Veteran').
Linda
Oct 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: friends
Recommended to Linda by: no one
GFrederick Forsyth is one of my favorite authors. This is a book of short stories, not my favorite favorite literary form. These stories were 'Forsythian.' 'Favrian' is to football what 'Forsythian' is to literature. Both men are at the top of their game. (Brett, that one was for you!).
Gina Rinaldi
Jun 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Gina Rinaldi by: Mark
Really good, really quick read. The book consists of 10 short stories, most involving some form of revenge. Every story kept my attention, and the writing was clear and interesting.

My favorite story, by far, is Privilege.

The book is clever, and definitely worth a read.
David
Oct 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
A fantastic collection of short stories, each with their own particular flavour
Kelly
Nov 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
A solid collection of short stories, each with a nice twist. A masterful storyteller.
Nanda
Sep 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
the first short story in the book, "no comebacks" will stun you, well, you cant stop reading the others after the 1st one!
Traghunath
Jul 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The title story is without doubt one of the best short stories ever written....gives a whole new meaning to the term 'down to the wire'
Craig
May 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
These stories are fantastic. One of the few collections I reread occasionally.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Savage Day
  • A Twist in the Tale
  • Scorpion Trail
  • The Iron Tiger
  • The Burma Legacy (Sam Packer, #3)
  • Wrath of the Lion
  • THE FIGHTER: SAS hero turns Manchester hitman (A Rick Fuller Thriller Book 6)
  • Cat O' Nine Tales: And Other Stories
  • Shadow Hunter
  • Brought In Dead (Nick Miller #2)
  • Patronising Bastards: How the Elites Betrayed Britain
  • First Among Equals
  • False Friends (Dan Shepherd, #9)
Frederick Forsyth, CBE is an English author and occasional political commentator. He is best known for thrillers such as The Day of the Jackal, The Odessa File, The Fourth Protocol, The Dogs of War, The Devil's Alternative, The Fist of God, Icon, The Veteran, Avenger, The Afghan, and recently The Cobra and The Kill List.

The son of a furrier, he was born in Ashford, Kent, educated at Tonbridge
“It is strange how people always speak quietly in the darkness before dawn.” 0 likes
“sensed the insignificance of himself and the impertinent smallness of the boat, the loneliness that the sea can inspire. Those alone who have journeyed on the sea and in the sky, or across the great snows or over desert sands, know the feeling. All are vast, merciless, but most awesome of all is the sea, because it moves.” 0 likes