Start by marking “The Veteran” as Want to Read:
The Veteran

The Veteran

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  2,515 Ratings  ·  136 Reviews
On a grimy sidewalk in a defeated neighborhood, an old man is beaten to death. When a cop investigates, he finds two killers and a startling legacy of honor ... In a prestigious London art gallery an impoverished actor is swindled out of a fortune-until an eccentric appraiser hatches a delicious scheme for revenge... On an airplane high over war-torn Afghanistan, a passeng ...more
Published February 17th 2003 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published October 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Veteran, please sign up.

Frederick Tan He is the only witness to the mugging of a veteran by two street muggers.
Frederick Tan He is a store owner who happen to witness a mugging in front of his store somewhere in the street of London.

SumitRK
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
A collection of five “short” stories;
Every story is well plotted & engaging. But the interesting and surprising twist at the end of each story (one which you will never see coming) is what makes them truly satisfying to read.
A special mention for the background, minor details & extensive research behind every story which was truly remarkable.
The Veteran: A story of crime & justice beyond a court of law.
The Art of the Matter : A delightful story about Cons & Con jobs.
The Mir
Mark
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Initially pick this up, thinking this is a Forsyth novel I'd missed, but found it to be a collection of 5 novellas...usually I'm not a fan of short stories, but these were wonderful...everything from swindles, to a police procedurals to a Western story of Native-American mysticism...all with twists at the end you never see coming...these 5 show why Frederick Forsyth is one of the best-selling another's in the world...highly recommended!!!
Carol
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-star-rated
This book contains five “short” stories; however, I would more correctly call them short novellas. What a wonderful, entertaining, suspenseful writer Forsyth is. My husband reads most all of his books, but I haven't read one since “The Day of the Jackel” as I don't really enjoy 'spy' novels. This book was EXCELLENT. I could not stop reading.

The Veteran deals with justice beyond a court of law and the honor of former comrades.
The Art of the Matter covers greed, swindlers and pay back in a very
Knigoqdec
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Първата дума, която ми хрумна за Форсайт беше, че е... педантичен.
Подреден, последователен и доста интересен разказвач. Останах много и приятно изненадана. Разказите (които да доста дълги всъщност) бяха с интересни обрати, в най-различни посоки. Имаше история с фантастични елементи, истории с изпечени мошеници, които я ги хванат, я не. Въобще, беше пъстра книга... а самите разкази всъщност са само пет. Малко, но определено запомнящи се.
Stefan
Jan 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
This collection of short stories by Frederick Forsyth was engagingly vivid, well plotted, and displayed Forsuth's ability to write excellent short stories outside of the thriller genre. The stories are all written, to the extent that the fact that they were short stories didn't bother me (I usually prefer a novel over a short story.) The first story, The Veteran, was a interesting mystery story which gave me a new found appreciation for ability to create amazing word pictures using details. The ...more
Marcia Chocinsky
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Frederick Forsyth is a great writer and has produced a series of short stories or novellas which take place in different places and times. I especially enjoyed Whispering Wind about a scout that was with General George Custer at Little Big Horn. This is the longest story in the book and takes a surprising twist after the battle at LBH. All the stories are enjoyable and are highly recommended.
Dan Sihota
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Having read a couple of Frederick Forsyth novels, I was greatly impressed by his ability to write something so gripping. Even more impressive is his attention to detail which makes a story feel so real. So when I came across this book "The Veteran and Other Stories", I was looking forward to an enjoyable read. Firstly, although this book was listed as a collection of short stories, and while these stories are much shorter in length than Forsyth’s other novels, they are a lot longer than what one ...more
Darsana
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A collection of 5 rather long stories,which are very dramatic ones.
I would love to see each of them in screens.
Christian, Kelanth, Scala
Il veterano, in originale "The veteran", uscito nel 2001, è un libro di Frederick Forsyth che è uno scrittore britannico, noto come autore di spy-story come "Il giorno dello sciacallo", "I mastini della guerra", "Dossier Odessa", "Il pugno di Dio" e "Il quarto protocollo".

Questo volume raccoglie cinque racconti, che furono pubblicati per la prima volta su Internet. In questi racconti, per lo meno in quattro di questi, lascia per un attimo il suo genere di spy-story che lo ha reso celebre in tutt
Lorin Cary
Oct 23, 2009 rated it liked it
I read the story "Whispering Wind" in this volume because a friend told me it was about Custer, and since I'd written The Custer Conspiracy, I wanted to see how Forsyth handled the general. It turned out to be a story in which Custer figured only briefly. The focus was on a scout said to be with him in June of 1876 who escaped the fate of others with GAC, and who time traveled into the 20th century, in a remarkable way seeking his beloved Cheyenne heart woman. It's a novella, well-written, fast ...more
Sean Randall
Mar 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
I've never read any frederick forsyth before and didn't really know what to expect. I must say I was hooked, fascinated and surprised.

My favourite story out of the five in the collection has to be "the Art of the Matter", describing a disgruntled x-employee's vengeance on a corporate bigwig who lost him his job. I also enjoyed "The Veteran", it was quite police procedural (which works well in a short story ) with an excellent twist at the end.

The remaining stories in order of my enjoyment were "
Helene
Jun 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a compilation of 3 or 4 different stories, all of which are engaging. And, they all have an interesting, and surprising, twist at the end. Very good book!
Prateek Phadke
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very much interesting collection of stories + novella. All the stories were well researched and I actually kept going back on online search engines or wikis to find more details on the events mentioned during the course of journey. Minute details captured make the painted picture more lively and vivid.

Though all the stories had a twist in the tale that was not easy to predict, enough to give a rush of emotions when you turn on the last page, the novella 'Whispering Wind' was like a cherry on t
Adam Clements
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
I was surprised to find Forsyth writing so well across so many genres. I enjoyed this collection more than I expected.

Although the genres were different it was clear he wrote them. The diligently researched and the small details almost over described will remind any reader of his more well known works.
Nitin Sharma
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it
A fine collection of short stories involving a murder trial, a stylish con, a barbaric war story ending in a delayed romantic tragedy, a flight of conspiring smugglers and a world war doctor narrating his supernatural encounter. The stories are crisp and entertaining but not captivating enough due to its fast pace.
Nickolai
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Очень понравился рассказ "The Art of the Matter", чем-то по стилю напомнило лучшие произведения Сидни Шелдона. Повесть "Whispering Wind" очень специфична, но не лишена своей изюминки. Это смесь вестерна, фантастики, любовного романа и боевика.
Heidi
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Five very different novellas ranging from good to great, and all with a twist at the end. Loved it.
Michael Bayles
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I actually liked all 5 of the stories. Great character development, some good suspense.
Tim Newey
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Short-Stories - "Awesome"! - "Legend"!!..
Craig Hoy
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Frederick Forsythe always provides interesting books.this one is a selection of 5 short stories, all very interesting
Dominik
Mar 19, 2017 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
After half of the lecture I must admit that I'm positively surprised. About 75% of the first chapter (Veteran) seemed to me as something that don't carry any twist in action. But the last two pages turned my opinion upside down.

Veteran - liked a lot, as mentioned above plot twist really got me into the book.
Miracle - not as well as first one but still pretty suprising.
Citizen - at the moment i consider this part of the book as the weakest link.
Art piece - reading at the moment.
Whispering wind
Scott Holstad
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Veteran is a book of five longish short stories by Forsyth, some of which are quite good, some of which are less so. Nearly all of them have somewhat surprising plot twists toward the end which give the reader a pretty good jolt.

The first story, "The Veteran," is about the murder of an unidentified old man by two young thugs. The police search everywhere for his identity, but to no avail. Then, to everyone's surprise, the best defense lawyer in London takes these thugs on and wins their case
Ishan Bose
Sep 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
A journey of human sentiments around the timeline spreading two centuries. Five stories and all the five indulged a certain yet different side/sense of mine into action.

First there was The Veteran which defines that quote about revenge and cold serving. An intriguing tale of a war veteran, an honest yet ignored police officer and a by-the-book lawyer. Meticulously described each and moment of the story with minute details.

The second one was-"The Art of the Matter". A telltale of an art freak, hi
Manu
Jul 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: review
The book is quite a departure from the regular thrillers that Forsyth is famous for, but that doesn't take away anything from the quality of the work. It consists of five stories, which showcase the research that characterises Forsyth's works. I'd actually have taken these for Jeffrey Archer's work for the quality of the 'twists', and sometimes, even the wit.
'The Veteran' and 'The Art of the Matter' are renditions of the concept of justice, with the latter giving us quite a few insights about t
Arun Divakar
Feb 11, 2011 rated it liked it
My inclination towards short stories have been steadily on the rise. My wish list confirms this fact as well. Although in this short period of time I have not been able to go for the masters, I did happen to read a few shorts by some of the more popular authors. The interest began with Jeffrey Deaver's Twisted which lived up to its name in delivering twists in the tale. It was with this mindset that I picked up Forsyth's book to spend the weekend with.

There are four tales in here and all of th
Marcus
Oct 04, 2016 rated it liked it
A bit of a surprise, this one - I expected for it to be yet another suspense novell, hopefully of same quality as the classic 'Day of the jackal' or 'Dogs of war', but it turned out to be a collection of a handful of short stories with a twist. I've got to say that I quite listening to them, but perhaps not for the usual reasons when it comes to suspense literature. The actual 'thrill value' in all but the last of the short stories is, if I am to be frank, quite limited, mostly due to the fact t ...more
Hannie
May 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dit was mijn eerste boek van Frederick Forsyth. Het bevat vijf korte verhalen, die elk weer heel anders zijn. De verhalen zijn verrassend en vaak zie je de ontknoping niet aankomen. Het boek is ingedeeld in het genre van de thrillers, maar na het lezen van de verhalen ben ik het niet echt eens met deze classificatie. Vooral het laatste verhaal is eerder mysterieus dan spannend. Ik vond de verhalen erg leuk. Ze lezen vlot en hebben een prettige lengte. Lang genoeg om boeiend te zijn en kort genoe ...more
John
Jul 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
I listened to this collection of five long stories by Frederick Forsyth on an audiobook in the car. I was on my road trip when I started it, but when I got home it was early in the book. I don't drive much, so it has taken a long time to finish, and now that I've finished the fifth story I don't really remember the first, except that I think I liked it. This book certainly made me enjoy my times in the car more, both because they are engaging stories and because they are read by three first-rate ...more
Bev Taylor
Mar 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
this is 5 short novels

the veteran - a man is beaten on the streets of london witnessed by just one man. then he dies in hospital without regaining consciousness. who is he?

this is the task of burns and to find the culprits

2 questions - why did the barrister take on the case when the identity of victim was no known. why did they not trace family history on finding the woman's grave

the art of the matter - a story of greed, corruption and revenge on the art and auctioneers' world

the miracle - s
  • Holding the Zero
  • San Andreas
  • Toll For The Brave
  • Lost Burgundy (Book of Ash, #4)
  • Drenai Tales: Volume Three (Drenai Tales, #7-9)
  • Mamista
  • Daemonic
  • Dark Homecoming
  • The Sea Witch
  • The Road to Omaha ( Challenge layer peak )
  • Nehanebné neviniatko
  • Old Enemies
  • Timothy's Game
  • The Wreck Of The Mary Deare
  • Resplendent (Destiny's Children, #4)
  • Cover Story (Tweed & Co. #3)
Frederick Forsyth, CBE is an English author and occasional political commentator. He is best known for thrillers such as The Day of the Jackal, The Odessa File, The Fourth Protocol, The Dogs of War, The Devil's Alternative, The Fist of God, Icon, The Veteran, Avenger, The Afghan, and recently The Cobra and The Kill List.

The son of a furrier, he was born in Ashford, Kent, educated at Tonbridge Scho
More about Frederick Forsyth...