Start by marking “The Rough Guide to Psychology: An Introduction to Human Behaviour and the Mind” as Want to Read:
The Rough Guide to Psychology: An Introduction to Human Behaviour and the Mind

The Rough Guide to Psychology: An Introduction to Human Behaviour and the Mind

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  107 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
The Rough Guide to Psychology looks at the question psychologists have been asking for hundreds of years ? why are we the way we are? It starts with you, your mind and brain, broadening out to look at your friends and other relationships, then finally on to crowds, mobs and religion. It explores the latest research relevant to crime, schooling, sport, politics, shopping an ...more
Published April 1st 2011 by Penguin Books Ltd (first published March 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Rough Guide to Psychology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rough Guide to Psychology

S. Musavi
Nov 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Apparently a subject like psychology is too complicated to be described in a book. Christian Jarrett's book is not an easy one to read. He has tried to introduce a big picture of the field as comprehensive as possible.

Definitely this is the right book to start psychology with. After reading the book you will know enough specialized areas of psychology and so you can go for more information.

This book is neither a cook book of psychology tricks nor a text book. This book is for serious reader who
Kylie Young
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
I must own this book! I have had it on loan from my library for 3 months now (to their annoyance) and I'm still not finished. I constantly need to reread things so that the enormity of the information gets stuck in my brain, which I find ironic, considering I'm reading about memory function and the sort.

The reason I need to read everything twice is because the book is written so well, one mind blowing piece of information flows peacefully so well into another mind blowing fact.
I have learnt so
Freda Mans-Labianca
Jul 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
I love the Rough Guide series.
This one is close to the top of the ones I have read too. I just really get a kick about books that help to understand our brains, and why we tick the way we do. This little gem of a book touches on all facets of psychology, and really helps you understand more about yourself and others too.
I will admit, since reading this book, I am trying to eliminate swearing from my life completely. I try to curb my teenage son from using it, and the hubster as well.
I think a lo
Dan
Sep 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Psychology has been a longtime interest and frequent topic of conversation for as long as I can remember, and this book is perfect for anyone with similar interests. It covers a broad range of topics, from your own mind, to interactions with others, the world and then ends with psychological disorders, which we all probably have to one degree or another. The author does a fantastic job of keeping things interesting with quizzes, exercises and a plethora of pictures. This is a superb book for any ...more
Ahmed Magdy
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
"The Rough Guide to Psychology" was an excellent introduction to Psychology for me. It talks about our minds, how they work and how we feel. It also talks about the history of Psychology and mentions some experiments with almost every piece of information.
But the bad point for me was that I expected it to talk longer in some important and interesting subjects, but he talked very superficially about them, while he prolonged the speech through many boring issues, so you feel that the book could ha
Alexandria
Jul 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
This was an excellent introduction to psychology for me. It covered a broad spectrum of information both chronologically & thematically. I also enjoyed the resources at the end but, as others have said, the book lacks direct citations to the cases discussed.
Alistair Murphy
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book, was my first read to psychology and i am dazzled by the amount that i have learned and discovered.
Kurt
Jun 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A whirlwind tour of many branches of psychology along with a little history. Surprisingly deep for as broad as the subject is.
Wiseman513
Christine
Jan 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Deep Future: The Next 100,000 Years of Life on Earth
  • The Business Idea Factory: A World-Class System for Creating Successful Business Ideas
  • The Survival Handbook: Essential Skills for Outdoor Adventure