Start by marking “Christmas Every Day and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Christmas Every Day and Other Stories

Christmas Every Day and Other Stories

Christmas Every Day And Other Stories Told For Children was published in 1892 by William Dean Howells. This is a great book written consisting of 5 short stories. These stories include Christmas Every Day, Turkeys Turning the Tables, The Pony Engine and the Pacific Express, The Pumpkin-Glory, and Butterflyflutterby and Flutterbybutterfly.
Published November 26th 2008 by NuVision Publications (first published 1892)

To ask other readers questions about Christmas Every Day and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas Every Day and Other Stories

Start your review of Christmas Every Day and Other Stories
Loretta
I really enjoyed this small "book"! It was like reading two stories in one. Hard to believe that the book was first published in 1892 and it's nice that even though that was a long, long time ago, the true meaning of Christmas still captures the reader! Five merry ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️'s 🎄‼️
Pamela
Oh what a lovely discovery! While pursuing the shelves at a sister library I came upon this little tome among Christmas books featured on an end cap display. I don't know about you, but there's something indescribably wonderful about holding in hand a timeless classic penned century past.

Originally published in 1908, Christmas Every Day is part Christmas viginette, farther/daughter story, and an ethics fable all rolled into one charmingly cautionary tale. Strength carried to excess becomes weakn
Elizabeth
Well it's interesting; I'll say that much for it. But it's also cynical and sad. A Christmas story about a little girl who can visit a magical wish-granting Christmas fairy still misses the wonder that such a tale might evoke, and it turns into an obvious moral lesson. I thought it was pretty depressing.

That said, the framing device—a harried father telling the story to his daughter (who keeps poking him)—really makes it work. The father and daughter are interesting, and these parts are really f
Alex Sarll
Curious to learn that, 80 years before Roy Wood wished it could be Christmas every day, the popular theme of pointing out all the drawbacks to that scheme already existed. Some of Howells' objections are still staples of the genre, like turkeys become scarcer than rocs, but others were new to me, like the idea of people trying to enact the year's other celebrations only to find that, for instance, on the Fourth of July all the pyrotechnics have turned to candy. The second story is in a similar a ...more
gloriabluestocking
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas, re-reads
This is a charming story. Enjoyable for any age.
K. Anna Kraft
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have arranged my takeaway thoughts into a haiku:

"If only all kids
Could learn how sugar goes sour
Through similar means."
Sarah Coller
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Christmas Every Day and Other Stories is an antique collection of Christmas stories told for children from the works of W.D. Howells. Published in 1892, it includes: Christmas Every Day, Turkeys Turning the Tables, The Pony Engine and the Pacific Express, The Pumpkin-Glory, and Butterflyflutterby and Flutterbybutterfly.

I really enjoyed this charming and witty book. These are super funny and imaginative stories with fun interaction between Papa and the children. I caught a neat mention in one sto
Sharone Powell
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A perfect, short Christmas story to tell those little ones who wish Christmas happened more than once a year.
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: flat-capped
“The little girl came into her papa's study, as she always did Saturday morning before breakfast, and asked for a story. He tried to beg off that morning, for he was very busy, but she would not let him. So he began” It is the perfect way to start any story a father reading to his little girl. I am not a father but it is my profound wish that I may one day be one and I have often imaged reading books out loud at bedtime or by the fire at Christmas. This is what I thought about while reading this ...more
Satu
The first two sections are on The Third Day of Craftlit. I went to Librivox and got the rest of the book to listen too. The train story was really delightful until the end. I didn't care for the end or the moral. Pony engine in deed.
Victoria Evangelina Allen

~GREEDY?!~

Such a sweet short story about a girl and her father, telling a little "horror" fairy tale! Little girls and people in general are like "pigs" and want only good stuff all the time, lol. But we can know light only thanks to the shadow and even the dark...

Victoria Evangelina
Theresa
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas, classics
I'll admit the first story was kind of cute. I've heard it before, but not quite that way. The story of what would happen if every day was Christmas.

The other three stories were pretty dull , bordering on dreadful. It was moralistic tales being interrupted by the children they were being told to.
Heidi
A sweet short story about a little girl who begs her father to tell her a Christmas story. He tells her a story of a little girl who asks the Christmas Fairy for Christmas every day. He uses the story to teach her a moral lesson about greed.

This is a story published in the early 1900s and forgotten. It was published once again after Richard Paul Evans used it in his novel The Christmas Box.
Jenny
Dec 31, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jenny by: quoted in "The Christmas Box"
Shelves: christmas
A fun quick read. I think I was expecting more from it but it was cute, especially to see the funny interaction between father and daughter. A sweet message about the relationships you can have with your children.
Jan 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
This was the tiniest little book (4x6 maybe). A forward by Richard Paul Evans (I hadn't remembered this Christmas Every Day story being read by the Dad in his novel The Christmas Box). A timeless Christmas story of old (1908 last printing), maybe the oldest story I've read, after the Bible!
April Suter
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read by Richard Paul Evans...cool :-)
To explain in easy terms it is a story like Groundhog Day when Christmas is every day and you learn how precious the season is and to treasure it BECAUSE God loves us so much He sent His Son to save us.
Patrick
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very short story but a great Christmas story to tell the kids. I had gotten this book for Christmas when I was a kid and my mom read it to me and I thought it was a nice Christmas tale to read on Christmas Eve.

If you have kids or nieces or nephews this a perfect story to tell them.
Alicia
Dec 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of our favorite Christmas stories!
Trish
Dec 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has a good moral lesson to it. It was the book that the father read to his daughter in the book "The Christmas Box".
Kathy
Aug 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
quick read, great to read to children.
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This book was meeeehhhh. I guess a good lesson, but I just didn't like the illustrations. They were kind of ugly.

Whatever.
Terry S
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short story with a cute message.
Margie
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short story about a girl whose father tells her a story daily. She tells him she wants Christmas everyday. What happens when she gets her wish.
Eileen
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars (liked it)

A cute short story about a father telling his daughter the tale of a girl who had made a wish that it be Christmas every day.
Jeremy
Forward by Richard Paul Evans, author of The Christmas Box (1993), in which a character named Richard reads Christmas Every Day to his daughter. Evans says, "Christmas Every Day is not as much about Christmas as it is about a father's love for his daughter." Howells's daughter Winifred died at age 25 (1889), and Christmas Every Day was written three years later (1892).

Odd conception of time travel. The little girl wants it to be Christmas every day, and the fairy grants the wish, but each new Ch
Dorry Lou
This was interesting reading as it was part of the story of Richard Paul Evans Christmas Box.
Apparently that is the story Richard is reading to his daughter in Christmas Box. It was published in 1908 and hadn't been since. The author Howells wrote the story as a gift to his daughter way back and could have inspired Richard when writing the Christmas Box.
Mayda
Nov 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a nice example of “be careful what you wish for because it might come true.” It’s a cautionary tale a father tells his young daughter. First published in 1908, this story was featured in Richard Paul Evans’ The Christmas Box and has been published again with a forward by him. It’s an interesting tale, but somehow it lacks that warm fuzzy feeling of modern Christmas stories.
Mariah
Dec 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Christmas story of the year! I recall that I enjoyed this story as a small child, but reading it now it’s okay. I think that there are more pleasant Christmas stories. I do like the moral of the story which seems to be gratitude.
Nanette
Illustrations are lovely in this Pocketbook edition. Story is pretty trite.

• The Shoemaker and the Devil
  • Christmas or The Good Fairy
  • A Country Christmas
  • The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus
  • The Poor Relation's Story
  • Primates: The Fearless Science of Jane Goodall, Dian Fossey, and Biruté Galdikas
  • Where's Halmoni?
  • Emma Peror's New Clothes
Willam Dean Howells was a novelist, short story writer, magazine editor, and mentor who wrote for various magazines, including the Atlantic Monthly and Harper's Magazine.

In January 1866 James Fields offered him the assistant editor role at the Atlantic Monthly. Howells accepted after successfully negotiating for a higher salary, but was frustrated by Fields's close supervision. Howells was made e