Start by marking “My Mom” as Want to Read:
My Mom

My Mom

(My Family)

The perfect gift for Mother's Day

Following up on his bestseller My Dad, the inimitable Anthony Browne returns to celebrate the every-mom. In this paean to motherhood, we first meet Mom over a cup of coffee, clad in a floral robe. The robe is ever present as her child describes her wondrous abilities and traits: from fantastic cook to brilliant juggler to great painter and
Published May 2nd 2005 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published February 28th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about My Mom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Mom

Rebecca
Sep 17, 2016 rated it liked it
The title page of this book displays a yellow heart-sun painting, where playful yellow strokes create beams, that has been thumbtacked under bold lettering, My Mom by Anthony Browne. There is a hint of child-like humility in this illustrator's submission to younger artist days positioned below the tile of his mother. The dedication confirms our suspicion, this book is for Browne's mum and his own wife. A floral pattern, synonymous with "mother," graces some object on every page. The illustration ...more
Sue Winson
May 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I like the book. It's sunny, easy to read, full of bright and colourful floral prints, and the illustrations are simply awesome. It's a book about what the author's mum is like. I like those very cheeky texts which make this book a really fun one to read "she's really, REALLY nice, my mum". I love how the author portrays the different aspects of his mum: she is a fantastic cook, brilliant juggler (a multi-tasker?), she can sing like an angel, and roar like a lion, she makes him laugh etc.
I part
Claire Holloway
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a lovely book that can be used with children in key stage one. This book says everything the author loves about their mum and makes you consider everything that mums do - this would be good for children to think about. I like how the book uses lots of smilies and metaphors to describe the mum. Children can also write their own version of this story based on all the things they love about their mum. The illustrations are also very important in this book to reflect what the mum is like, fo ...more
Maddy Rigsby
This book is great for younger kids at school that are still transitioning to being at school. The book starts out saying that 'my mom is nice' then continues on to say what else 'my mom' is. This is a great book to do before a mothers day activity as well. The pictures in this book will keep the children engaged.
Brianna Kazmierzak
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This would be a good book to read around Mother's Day. Students can try to find connections to the book, and they can think about who in their life is an important figure, such as the mom in this book.
Tonderai Immanuel
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a heart warming and delightful book that is easy to read, it is about how a child views his or her Mum. Every child looks up to their mother and thinks they can do and be anything and that is exactly what Anthony Browne’s book is about. This book is a tribute to mothers everywhere and children under the age of 8 will find it witty and familiar.

What is brilliant is the typical ‘fantastic’ description we assign with mothers is contrasted by descriptions of how she can also ‘roar’ like a l
Kiana Gerard
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
My Mom was a really sweet book about a child describing what his mom is like. From her looks to her talents, this book describes the love a child has for a mother. The book is from the prospective of a child in that there are a lot of repetitions and a lot of child-like descriptions. In one instance, the book uses repetition with the phrase, "She's nice, my mom". This book is wonderful and fun for children of all ages!

The illustrations in the book have very vibrant watercolors. The picture of th
Shayna Rieger
Sep 19, 2016 rated it liked it
My mom by Anthony Browne, is a surrealist picture book about a child's love for their mother. Browne uses different design elements as well as humor to describe reasons for loving mom. When looking at the front and back cover as well as the end pages, you notice that the floral print appears on each and automatically alerts me that this pattern is going to be significant throughout the story. As you read the story you realize that the floral print appears on each page of the story and I conclude ...more
Melba Deoleo
Apr 01, 2014 added it
Shelves: la
This book is nice and simple and the main topic of the story is easy to see, mom. My Mom tells the story of the image that this child has of his mother and how he feels about her. To him she is the best woman in world, she is a fantastic cook, really nice and the strongest mom in the world.I like how the author uses a bit of humor like when he says " She's a great painter", you might think he is referring to painting a wall or the house, but when you look at the picture it shows her putting on m ...more
Jenna Smith
Sep 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Following the same written and illustrative pattern as "My Dad", Browne writes another endearing and heartwarming tribute to Moms everywhere, including the dedication to his own mother in the first pages of the book. His mom is a beautiful, soft and cuddly, magical fairy in a floral robe, until she turns into a superhero in a floral cape. It's a sweet image that is painted by Browne about his mother, as he must have viewed her that way growing up and appreciated the many hats she wore in the fam ...more
Fjóla
A sister book to My Dad. Author Anthony Browne's children's books are quite special, to say the least, and sometimes I'm even a little baffled by them. My Mom and My Dad are easy to relate to though, and this one was a pleasant read, made even more pleasant by the fact that my four year old read it out loud for me. It didn't make him laugh the way I would have expected though. This book would also pair well with Quick as a Cricket, about the many guises a child can take on ...
Portable
This is a simply written book in praise of mums everywhere, with Anthony Browne's trademark illustrations where Mum's special talents blossom into slightly surreal and magical illustrations. It's a great companion read to My Dad and My Brother
showing Mum as a wonderful gardener, cook, and caretaker. One small point, this Mum is very much a stay at home mum rather than a working mum, although it does say "My mum could have been a big boss" so it does reinforce traditional gender roles a little. B
Christina Greenberg
Sep 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
My Mom by Anthony Browne is a tribute to the wonders of a mother. The book opens with two full pages of floral wall paper. This floral image appears, in someway, on each page throughout the whole book. Whether it is as a shirt, robe, tie, or bow. This shows the ways that moms are able to nourish seeds and help them grow into beautiful flowers just as they grow and nourish a human child through life. This book truly shows all of the aspects of being a mom and all the hats moms need to wear throug ...more
Greg
Throughout this story we see a young child's view of his or her mother through many different angles. There are times when the mother appears very "sweet" to her child, only to have that "sweet" image contrasted on the next page where we might find that the mother "roars" as well. I really like this novel to help children understand the role of parents. No child likes to get yelled at or look at their parents like they are "roaring" animals, but it is important that children always remember the ...more
Lindsay
I used this story for a Spanish and bilingual story time program in celebration of moms for Mother's Day. I did the program in mid-April since spring story time session was ending Saturday, April 21st, and I wouldn't resume until Spanish story time on Thursday, May 17th, a week after Mother's Day. Like I wrote in my notes for the dad version, Mi Papá, it's not the best story in the world, but it's cute. I do really like the gimmick of using the pattern and coloring of the mother's robe in differ ...more
Cindy Mittendorfer
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully written picture book about a son who loves his mom very much. The boy describes his mom as the best mom in the world. She is the best cook, so comfy and the strongest mom in the world. I loved the part when he said how good of a painter his mom was. He thought that she was painting her face but she was actually just putting makeup on. This book is about the love a son has for his mother and the bond these two share. A mothers love is stronger than anything. I would use this ...more
Jordan
Sep 22, 2014 rated it liked it
This story is a told from a young child's perspective about his mother. The mother is portrayed as a warm, and caring figure who is capable of anything. The mother takes on many roles within the story that is representative of all the roles mothers take on. The simplistic text is accentuated by the illustrations. The two together tell the story of the young child's mother. The end-papers show as floral pattern that is indicative of a motherly fabric. This story is a tribute to mothers everywhere ...more
Jennie
Mar 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teaching
My Mum is a nice book about a child describing what they like about their mum! Good use of similes throughout to compare mum to other things and the reason why the child likes his mum can be related to everyday things that Mums/parents do.
Would be nice to use in Reception and KS1 near Mother's Day to encourage the children to write poems using similes and to encourage them to think about all the different things their grown up does for them.
Lovely illustrations and very sweet book that I will
Kelsey Scherer
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A very easy and quick story about a child's mon. Children look up to their mom as if they can do anything and that's exactly What this story is about. This mom can be an astronaut, sing like an Angel, be a brilliant cook or even be a film star. Children love their moms because they practically do everything for them and are their first real role model. Although dads are too, moms are nurturing and love us unconditionally, like we do them.
Candice
Jan 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
Much like My Dad, My Mom tells of how wonderful this Mom is. She does mom-like things - she's a fantastic cook - and so much else. She's a brilliant juggler and she could be the big boss. Of course, at the end, we all know what's most important for a mom. Wonderful illustrations and another book showing love between parent and child.
Chelsea Christophel
Oct 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was an adorable book that can be shared by every mother! The story lists all of the amazing things that mothers do and can really help a child to notice them! I think that with large, colorful pictures a child is able to full grasp every action. I would definitely recommend this book to primary grades and first time readers!
Bethann
I enjoyed this book, because it talks about how wonderful mom's can be! It reminds me of my mom! It also makes me think about how I can use this book in my classroom. Some students can relate to it, and others might not be able to. Some students don't have moms and it would not be a good idea to use this book in the classroom.
Linda
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This Mama is pretty amazing. She can do all sorts of things (fantastica cocinera/fantastic cook, la mujer mas fuerte del mundo/strongest woman in the world, etc.) But best of all: Es linda, MUY LINDA mi mama!
How can I not love a book that is so linda????
And the pictures are so Anthony Brown-y cute, too. I love his books!
Karly Kovac
Oct 16, 2011 rated it liked it
I thought this book was pretty good, I just think it was poorly written. Unless the audience is a really young group of kids, I don't think older kids would like it because it seems that it was written for a younger audience. There is a very simple vocabulary and there are very few words on each page. I do think little kids would like it though.
Alley Denney
Sep 14, 2012 rated it liked it
This book really can relate to students and some of their relationships with their moms but it could also cause some to question theirs. I would be careful reading this aloud to your students just because some of them may have never known their mom or their relationship with them isn't like the one in this book. I did enjoy it though and thought it was very cute.
Kaitlyn Lawrence
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book acknowledges how great moms are. I think it is a great book for students to read and it could teach them about writing a memoir about someone special to them. I would have this book in my classroom library but it is something that you must be sensitive too. If some students in the classroom do not have a motherly figure in their lives this may be something you chose not to sit out.
Matthew
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: literary-devices
This is a really good book about a mom that is full of similes and metaphors. It's even better than its companion book, My Dad. This is another nice Browne book, so the illustrations are beautifully created as always.
Fez
Jun 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved reading this with the kids. I had them saying Mummy thats like you! on many of the pages. A real favourite in our family. Especially special book for little ones to realise that mum's do all these things and at the end of the day, we are still mum and always love them. We love it!
TwoDrinks
What's lovely about this book is the way the illustrations tie in to one another. So, Mum's outfits always feature a flowery print and her pink slippers regardless of what she's doing. It's a nice way of starting a further discussion about the story and characters.
Katie Fitzgerald
May 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Read at Baby/Toddler Story Time on 5/3/11: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Baby/Toddler Story Time on 5/8/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Mom is the home 1 3 Nov 17, 2015 06:07AM
  • Half A World Away
  • Be Good to Eddie Lee
  • Noni The Pony
  • Stella, Star of the Sea
  • Cave Baby
  • Wombat Divine
  • I Don't Want a Cool Cat!
  • The Story Blanket
  • Augustus and His Smile
  • Baby Brains: The Smartest Baby in the Whole World
  • Mr. Gumpy's Motor Car
  • I Love You, Blue Kangaroo!
  • Big Red Tub
  • Meerkat Mail
  • Pearl Barley and Charlie Parsley
  • Pete the Sheep-Sheep
  • On the Moon
  • Up and Down (The Boy, #4)

Anthony Browne, a Hans Christian Andersen Medalist, is the author-illustrator of many acclaimed books for children, including SILLY BILLY and LITTLE BEAUTY. He lives in Kent, England.

My Family (3 books)