Start by marking “The Golden Spiders” as Want to Read:
The Golden Spiders

The Golden Spiders (Nero Wolfe #22)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  3,009 Ratings  ·  125 Reviews
Meet Nero Wolfe, an orchid-growing, gourmandizing, eccentric genius, and his assistant Archie. Eavesdrop on Nero and Archie as they unravel murder after murder in this popular series of detective novels. All of our Rex Stout mysteries are the only unabridged recordings that are available to the retail market. Even 23 years after Rex Stout's death, his following continues t ...more
Audio Cassette, 6 pages
Published August 28th 1997 by Audio Partners (first published October 26th 1953)

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Spiders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Spiders

Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is not good for a business of a PI to have his clients murdered shortly after they leave his office. Not only does it bring bad reputation, but it is also very damaging to self-esteem, something Nero Wolfe values highly. Thus this time it is personal. The detective who charges such high fees that only millionaires can afford his services most of the time now only has $4.30 to show for his troubles with not a single penny more on the horizon. It still does not matter as the reputation is at st ...more
Bill  Kerwin

This novel begins promisingly. A street kid who works the corner as a windshield-cleaner sees something suspicious, comes to Wolfe for help, and is found dead the next day.

The resolution, however. is rather conventional, and the suspects not particularly interesting. As always, though, Wolfe and Archie are wonderful.
Luís C.
Nov 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: visao
Trying to determine why his last two clients were ruthlessly murdered, Nero Wolfe wonders if the answer is linked to a young boy who turns up at his brownstone apartment and finds clues in a gray Cadillac, a mysterious woman, and spider-shaped earrings.
Nan Silvernail
Feb 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Twelve year old Pete Drossos, who lives in Nero Wolfe's neighborhood, saw something strange as he was trying to earn money by washing car windshields at a corner. He brought the information to the great detective. Just a couple days later the boy is run down in the street. While dying in the ambulance the boy tells his mother to take his savings to Wolfe and to ask him to solve the crime. It's only $4.30, but perhaps because the kid ate at Wolfe's table and it is thus a matter of honor, he's wil ...more

Connecticut, Y, Y, nove, quattro, tre, due

I classici del giallo hanno sempre un qualcosa in più che li rende irresistibili. Ai vertici della classifica dei più bravi c'è sicuramente REX STOUT che con il suo Nero Wolfe ha saputo far centro, inventando storie noir di altissimo livello. In I RAGNI D'ORO c'è una caterva di delitti. Sono per lo più omicidi stradali, ma si susseguono con una frequenza che il geniale Nero Wolfe non può non cercare di fermarli. All'origine di questa terribile catena c'è
"The Golden Spiders" by Rex Stout.

Listened to on CD performed by Michael Pritchard. Nero & Archie at their best.

A young man arrives at Nero's door with a case. The case, he explains, began when he was attempting to wash the windshields of cars as they stopped for a red light. This particular case had a woman driving with a man in the passenger seat. Just as the young man glances towards the woman she moves her lips to mouth to say HELP and to call the police.

Then the light turns green and t
Nov 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nero Wolfe mysteries are among my favorites for light hearted yet relatively complex plots. This was a weaker entry, but well written even so. I found the characters difficult to connect with and there seemed to be less interplay between Archie and Nero than usual. The entire story seemed to have been written more formulaically than previous entries in this much loved series. Good, but well short of great.
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-reread
Suspects in Nero Wolfe books aren't particularly interesting. There, I said it. But that said, who cares? Archie, Wolfe, Kramer, Fritz, Saul, Stebbins, and so on are beautifully created, and their confrontations with business people, lawyers, and each other are always readable and fun. Nothing really needs to happen to make this work; but in this particular one, so much happens (even a scene of torture) it's almost distracting. Still, Wolfe gets to hold forth, Archie gets to wisecrack, and I wil ...more
Erin L
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I love the characters in these books but find the language is a little...odd to me and it can be distracting and take longer than it should to read. Interesting plot on this one.
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mar 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
What can I say? I love Rex Stout books. They're my go-to when I need something light, easy to read, but with engaging characters, a realistic plot, and a good mystery. The Golden Spiders fills the bill just as well as other Stout books that I've read. Nero Wolfe is in all his massive glory; the food is as important as ever; Archie Goodwin is his usual irreverent self. But there is one difference from previous books I've read in this series: a scene of violence.

Like with Robert B. Parker, Stout d
Fredrick Danysh
Nero Wolfe finds himself working for a twelve year old boy for the princely sum of $4.30 after the lad shows up on his doorstep with an interesting case. The case centers around a mysterious woman, spider shaped golden earrings, and a mysterious car. This is a great vintage detective story.
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In my slow reading through the Nero Wolfe books in order, I am up to 22. My first in over a year. Whilst I have read many before, this is the first time I had read this one.

In terms of the plotting and action, it is one of the best of the series. It doesn't perhaps have the humour of some, but it does have Nero and Archie winding each other up for much of the time - which is always entertaining.

A thoroughly good read.
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
starting convincing me this would be good "old crimi", lazy but smart Nero gets subsequent murders of clients/suspects/witnesses ( and get angry about it ), then narrating is subsided and submerged to medley of following suspects with less action, next to the end story moves to Neros triumphiant solo investigation before own employers-PIs, policemates and accused people in between them is a killer. Very eligible and with "a few surprises " book . ...more
Not the best of Rex Stout's books. It starts off with a twelve-year-old who raises money by washing car windows at stop lights coming in to hire Wolfe. Archie thinks it's a great lark so he lets the boy in. During dinner. But then the boy is run over and killed. And there are so many people and so much going on that it's hard to tell exactly what the story is.
Nan Li
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book very much. Light-hearted, cozy detective story. Smooth reading. Action, mystery, humor, attitude, everything is well balanced. The writing is so easy. It reminds me of Jeeves & Wooster, even though they are in different catalogs.
Dakota McCoy
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was great. The start was rough for me to read, but I’m sensitive. I thought the twists and turns were especially good. Top ten for sure, perhaps even top five, for Nero Wolfe books!! It is very nice sometimes to see Wolfe’s softer side.
Jefferson Searle
I liked this one for all the rules Nero broke. His own rules. To avenge the murders of two good people, more accurately to earn the fees they paid him. I did have the killer pegged early on, but that didn't diminish anything.
John Grazide
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How awesome is Rex Stout!?! This was one had a very good action scene that I certainly wasn't expecting. And the usual wrap up at the end was great, with a very last minute twist. I think the McNally series by Lawrence Sanders is a similar style and that is why I like them also.
Robert A Keene
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Nero Wolfe

I'll save my option of Rex Stouts writing style till after I have read several more. Nero Wolfe is not a very likeable character imho, but neither was Hercule Poirot at first. This book was an easy read, the story has lots of twists, a good whodunit.
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a little frenetic, but there's an interesting plot, though he used the same twist in another book, so those who've read the canon will probably see it coming. A case that Wolfe gets into initially for a retainer of a little over $4.
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent fast-paced work amongst the Nero Wolfe mysteries. The whole plot hinges around the mysterious Golden Spider earrings which a dead child saw a woman wearing as she called out to the child for help before disappearing...
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the best of the series. Thought it got too convoluted and focused too much on Wolfe's PI's and the police rather than the cast of suspects who really don't show up completely until the end.
Simona Moschini
Godibilissimo, anche grazie a un'ottima traduzione in cui non va perso un grammo dell'autoironia della voce narrante, e con un bonus finale: un racconto breve, quasi ancora meglio del romanzo.
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Be careful when you buy two books in one, for when you like one and finish it, good reads may show that you have read both books. You can fix it, but it takes some effort.
After finishing this book, I can see why The Golden Spiders is a favorite of Nero Wolfe fans. Enjoy.
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always nice to spend time with Archie Goodwin and Nero Wolf in their world. This book was particularly well-done.
Manuel Ruiz
Entertaining. Not long but brisky!
Another strong entry in the series.
  • Murder in E Minor
  • The Case Of The Stepdaughter's Secret
  • Double, Double  (Ellery Queen Detective, #21)
  • The Heat's On (Harlem Cycle, #6)
  • Black Money
  • The Fashion in Shrouds (Albert Campion Mystery #10)
  • The Big Sleep  and Other Novels
  • The Black Abbot
  • Out on the Cutting Edge (Matthew Scudder, #7)
  • Fletch's Fortune (Fletch, #3)
  • Two Lives and a Dream
  • Shadow of a Broken Man
Rex Todhunter Stout (December 1, 1886 – October 27, 1975) was an American crime writer, best known as the creator of the larger-than-life fictional detective Nero Wolfe, described by reviewer Will Cuppy as "that Falstaff of detectives." Wolfe's assistant Archie Goodwin recorded the cases of the detective genius from 1934 (Fer-de-Lance) to 1975 (A Family Affair).

The Nero Wolfe corpus was nominated
More about Rex Stout...

Nero Wolfe (1 - 10 of 47 books)
  • Fer-de-Lance (Nero Wolfe, #1)
  • The League of Frightened Men (Nero Wolfe, #2)
  • The Rubber Band (Nero Wolfe, #3)
  • The Red Box (Nero Wolfe, #4)
  • Too Many Cooks (Nero Wolfe, #5)
  • Some Buried Caesar (Nero Wolfe, #6)
  • Over My Dead Body (Nero Wolfe, #7)
  • Where There's a Will (Nero Wolfe, #8)
  • Black Orchids (Nero Wolfe, #9)
  • Not Quite Dead Enough (Nero Wolfe, #10)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Fractured
  • Never Smile at Strangers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Burnable Book (John Gower, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Where Eagles Dare
  • The Stockholm Octavo
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Cocoa Beach
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kingdom of Darkness: A Novel (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase series)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Idaho
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Dead Letters
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Dark Tide (Ty Hauck, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Phantom (Alexander Hawke, #7)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • What We Saw
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00