Start by marking “Skin (The X-Files)” as Want to Read:
Skin (The X-Files)

Skin (The X-Files #6)

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  864 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Medizinisch gesehen, ist es reine Routine, daß die Haut von Toten zur vorläufigen Behandlung von Brandopfern benutzt wird. Daß sich Studenten damit ein paar Dollar nebenbei verdienen, ist weniger üblich. Als bei einer dieser illegalen Aktionen versehentlich die Haut eines falschen Spenders verwendet wird, stellen sich verheerende Nebenwirkungen ein. Scully und Mulder, die ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Published May 1st 2000 by HarperEntertainment (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Skin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skin

John
Oct 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
For the first two-thirds of its 300+ pages, SKIN is the best TV tie-in novel I've ever read. Near the end, though, it stumbles a bit and ultimately has to settle for being ONE of the best (IMHO). The medical info throughout the story was so detailed and completely legit that I suspected author Ben Mezrich to have attended medical school at some point before launching his writing career. Having just read his bio on Wikipedia, I see that I was mistaken. Major props for faking it so convincingly! W ...more
Elke
Feb 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Skin liefert eine weitere spannende Geschichte zur Kultserie Akte X, die bisher
nicht verfilmt wurde. Nach einer Hauttransplantation dreht der Patient durch und
begeht einen brutalen Mord. Bei ihren Ermittlungen stossen die FBI-Agenten Muld
er und Scully auf weitere Vorfaelle, in deren Zusammenhang es Hauttransplantationen gab. Mulder hat natuerlich gleich eine abenteuerliche Theorie zur Hand, in der die Haut der boese Ausloeser der Gewalttaetigkeiten ist. Scully, die Skeptikerin und Wissenschaftl
J.M.
Oct 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly loved this book. Reading it was like watching one long episode of "The X-Files." Mezrich got the characters spot on and as the pace quickened, I couldn't put the book down. Very good and a definite must for any X-Phile out there.
Bryan Schmidt
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
solid read. veers off a little in the last act but strong.
Roger
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love the X Files but I know when I read a novel about Agents Mulder and Scully certain things will occur. They will attain no real growth as characters by the end of the book. They will have obtained no hard evidence to support whatever investigation they are involved in. They will emerge unscathed from whatever peril they face. All that is because this type of series is all about hitting the reset button so you can come back for another equally thrilling (and eerily similar) adventure later. ...more
Allie rademacher
Jun 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fresh-start
not as good as the show
Andrew
May 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
This x-file book (I will admit I think I will have most certainly read my fill of X-files for some time, I remember how much I enjoyed them but I also now remember how easy it is to over dose on them too) is a bit of a mix.
The book is a gruesome race to find the victim/perpetrator and stop even great tragedies from happening. Ok its tricky to say more without giving the story away but I will say that the investigation is very reminiscent of medical thrillers of Robin Cook - in that a medical pr
Dale
Apr 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A competent, but not great audiobook

I heard Skin as an audiobook. It was narrated by Bruce Harwood, who portrays the most 'normal' of the conspiracy-addicted threesome known as 'the Lone Gunmen' on the X-Files TV show. Harwood does a competent, but ultimately uninspiring job of narrating the story.

In fact, this is also a decent description of the book as a whole. It is okay, but not great. The characters act like they are supposed to, but those wry comments from Fox are mostly non-existent and
Fayd Eaton
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
One of the best and well written X-Files story ever. In the other books the conversations between the two agents are a bit strange ...not exactly as you would expect from Mulder and Scully. you have always the feeling that the authors don't know the characters they are writing for. In this novel Mulder is acting like Mulder seen in the TV series and Scully is the smart, clever, strong and skeptic woman you want to see. There is only one part that is not good near the end, you will find a hole in ...more
Julian
Mar 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Quick and fun read. I have a secret love for books made from TV series. The great thing about them is that there is no need for even the slightest bit of back story because that is all assumed knowledge. Instead, the author can jump straight into the meat of the story.

This particular story is the usual science/scifi/mystery that made me enjoy the tv series. Even though I will not re-watch another episode of the series because the effects are so dated, I would be happy to jump on another X-Files
Ystyn Francis
None of "The X-Files" novels successfully emulate the quality stories written by Chris Carter for his television show, and "Skin" is no different. Ben Mezrich recreates the banter between Mulder and Scully far better than any author before him, but his writing fluctuates in quality, at times being quite clever whilst at other times heavy-handed and clunky. The story itself is solid but serves to only make me want to return to the show.
Martyn Perry
Jun 25, 2014 rated it liked it
There are times when this X-Files tie in feels like a complete retread of the other novel, Antibodies. There's the medical theme, the disease, the adverse side effects etc.

That said, the writing style is simple and accessible, making this story a quick and easy page turner. Not a gem by any means, but the unique (for X-Files) Thailand setting and decent action sequences do just enough to keep you reading till the end.
Nick Rivard
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was probably the closest in theme and tone to the xfiles tv series of all of them. It moves well and almost completely scientifically accurate. The one place it falls off is in the final chapter. This is mostly only in the swiftness of the conclusion. Either way this was definitely worth the read!
Jessica Rabbit
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved it. Readimg this was just like watching an episode of the series. Sufficiently creepy, detailed, scientifically implausible. The author got the characters just right and did a beautiful job of capturing Mulder and Scully's awkward tension. I adored the book and I am fully encouraged to read more X-Files books and more from this author.
Margo
Jan 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: you-can-borrow
This was my first-ever X Files novel -- I assume there must be more. Not counting an early, glaring, did-anyone-edit-this-book plot detail error ... it was pretty good. The premise was suitably creepy, and the descriptions and thoughts of Scully and Mulder seemed on-target.
Benton Mcpeak
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Best X-Files book I've ever read. Some reviews were critical of the character development and the details of each scene. I found the character details and the scene detail added much to the story and I was sorry when it was over.
Kate Guinn
This is the first X-Files book I've ever read, and it was pretty decent. I wish it had a creepier monster, and it was missing the banter between Mulder and Scully that I love so much. But it was written well enough to keep my interest.
Janice Hite
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

For me this book was very suspenseful and invigorating the book also takes me back in time.to.the.days of X Files on TV so.a.lot.of good memories the book was very good at keeping you reading to find.out.what next.
Jim
Aug 10, 2008 marked it as to-read
Shelves: sci-fi-geek
I've never read an X-files novel (or a Star Wars novel, for that matter), but this actually sounds pretty good. And since the movie came out, my interests in things X-files related has been rekindled.
Lumos Ktbspa
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 6-x-files
When I completed the book my thought was like "This is the best TV tie-in novel I've ever read!" ^_^ And it was. And I think it still is. It's perfect, the perfect novelization of a TV-show. And a read-it-all-at-once thing definetely.
Beverly J.
This was fun, it was very much like an episode of the show. Nice to "interact" with Scully & Mulder again, lol.
Bradley
Oct 06, 2010 rated it liked it
It reads just like an actual episode. Very interesting considering I enjoyed the show quite a bit. Entertaining light read with a side order of gore. =)
Ronald
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
read SOMETIME in 2000
Buran
Sep 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this. I always like good medical thrillers -- ten years working at a medical school, plus a lifelong interest in science, will do that.
oxana
Jul 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of The X-Files
A true X-Files story from start to beginning, revealing layers beyond layers, Mulder's wild theories, and Scully's more reserved guesses based on reality-as-we-know-it.
Ducher
Jun 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
miloru
Geri
Nov 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-x-files, 2012
It was fun to be in on a case with Scull and Mulder again...
FabulousRaye
Eh, more like a 3.5. Pretty good. I really like these X-Files novels.
CARTER C
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It is a really good book
Jenna
Jul 27, 2011
http://nitroshredadvice.com/luxoderm/ 1 1 Mar 30, 2015 09:46PM
Elementary Tips For Skin Care 1 1 Mar 01, 2015 11:05PM
Knowledge About Vita Ultra 1 1 Jan 23, 2015 09:24PM
Skin Care Clinics in Hyderabad 1 1 Nov 05, 2014 08:05PM
Keep A Wart From Coming Back 1 1 Sep 16, 2014 01:33AM
How to Find Products That Give a Healthy Glow to the Skin 1 1 Sep 09, 2014 09:10PM
Find Anti Aging Skin Care Products 1 1 May 27, 2014 11:24PM
  • Ruins (The X-Files)
  • The X-Files: Goblins
  • The Truth Is Out There (The Official Guide to The X-Files #1)
  • Resist or Serve (The Official Guide to The X-Files #4)
  • The X-Files: Fight the Future
  • The X-Files: I Want to Believe
  • X Marks the Spot (The X-Files: Middle Grade, #1)
  • The X-Files: Book of the Unexplained, Volume II
  • Squeeze (The X-Files: Middle Grade, #4)
  • Vespers
  • Der Vampyr (Die Chronik der Unsterblichen, #2)
  • The Unofficial X-Files Companion: An X-Phile's Guide to the Mysteries, Conspiracies, and Really Strange Truths Behind the Show (X-Files Companion #1)
  • The Blair Witch Project
  • Unexplained!: Strange Sightings, Incredible Occurrences & Puzzling Physical Phenomena
  • Vampire Apocalypse: Trail of Tears (Vampire Apocalypse #4)
Ben Mezrich has created his own highly addictive genre of nonfiction, chronicling the amazing stories of young geniuses making tons of money on the edge of impossibility, ethics, and morality.

With his newest non-fiction book, Once Upon a Time in Russia, Mezrich tells his most incredible story yet: A true drama of obscene wealth, crime, rivalry, and betrayal from deep inside the world of billionair
More about Ben Mezrich...

The X-Files (8 books)
  • The X-Files: Goblins
  • Whirlwind (The X-Files)
  • Ground Zero