Start by marking “Truth or Dairy (Courtney Von Dragen Smith, #1)” as Want to Read:
Truth or Dairy (Courtney Von Dragen Smith, #1)

Truth or Dairy (Courtney Von Dragen Smith #1)

3.33  ·  Rating details ·  736 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
She's humiliated, she's angry....and she's through with boys. Or least that's what she says.

This is the journal of Courtney Von Dragen Smith: middle child, product of divorce, would-be vegetarian. She writes the first mega-negative page the day after her boyfriend, "Such a Dave," breaks up with her because he's heading off to college. Angry and humiliated, Courtney vows to
Published May 3rd 2000 by HarperTeen (first published January 1st 2000)

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by The Story Siren for TeensReadToo.com

Told in diary entries, BANANA SPLITSVILLE recounts the story of Courtney's senior year.

It isn't off to a great start -- her boyfriend, Dave, is going off to college and he just dumped her. Angry and jaded, Courtney makes a vow to be boyfriendless for the year. She instead focuses on other things, like running for Class Vice President and working at the Truth or Dairy. All while pining for Dave.

It's obvious that one of Dave's friends, Grant, is in
Jess
Feb 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommended to Jess by: Toni
This was recommended to me YEARS ago by a good friend, so I'm not sure what took me so long. It's a fun, fairly light book that had me laughing at least once every page or so. Clark pulls off the diary format quite well, making Courtney's voice and humor really the main appeal of the story. The plot isn't really anything other than an excuse to spend time with the characters. I'd recommend it to teen girls who like snappy, funny stories with a little romance and some misadventure. A few things h ...more
Arminzerella
GirlwiththeBraids
Mar 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Courtney’s boyfriend dumped her. Is it really his fault that he wants to be "free and clear"? Courtney is convinced it is. She decides to make a commitment: no more dating ... at least for this year. She would just have to dump her boyfriend in the end, anyway, right? She has to admit, she does want to be "free and clear" herself when college comes around. When she falls in love with the ex's best friend, discovers that her own BFF is dating her little brother, and she is juggling a job at a smo ...more
Kristi
Jul 09, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Told in dairy entries, Banana Splitsville recounts the story of Courtney’s senior year. It isn’t off to a great start, her boyfriend Dave, is going off to college and he just dumped her. Angry and jaded Courtney makes a vow to be boyfriend less for the year. She instead focuses on other things like running for Class Vice President and working at the Truth or Dairy. All while pinning for Dave.

It’s obvious that one of Dave’s friends, Grant is interested in more than just being friends with Courtne
Amber  ~ The Reading Addict
I enjoyed Banana Splitsville more than Maine Squeeze for several reasons. First of all, Courtney is a hilarious protagonist. Her sarcastic thoughts and scatter-brained diary entries had me laughing the whole time. I felt that I could really relate to her, unlike the aforementioned Colleen.

The romance, while fairly subtle and cute, kept me interested without being too mushy. I enjoyed the lack of insta-romance. After being dumped by her long-term boyfriend, Courtney is kind of a mess. I apprecia
Tori
Jul 25, 2011 added it
2004- Yes, another teenage journal book. Except even thought it seemed promising, I never felt I could connect with the main character. Courtney Von Dragen Smith is starting her senior year of high school, and it's far from perfect. Her boyfriend has broken up with her because he is going to college 30 minutes away and doesn't want to have a ""long-distance relationship"". One of her ex's friends is flirting with her. And oh yeah, her family is strange, of course. She decides to not date for the ...more
Jacquelyn
Nov 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"Banana Splitzville" written by Catherine Clark, from the Courtney Von Dragen Smith series, is the perfect book for teens or adults who love to read about teen fiction that includes romance, friendship, and emotional problems.
Entering senior year is Courtney Von Dragen Smith, this year should be special for her right? Wrong. Courtney's boyfriend, Dave, who's going to college, dumps her, and that ignites a flame in Courtney and she's so angry that she vows to be boyfriendless for the year. Of co
Melody McBride
Oct 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Melissa
Mar 11, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
this book was different i had very mixed feelings about it, at some parts i was annoyed that it wasn't chapters it kept being in journal form and i had trouble connecting with the main character who seemed stuck up, cocky, and rude and did not like very much. Also i had a tough time picturing some things because the journal entries gave brief stories of what had happened a day or so before as if you were writing in a journal yourself and that does not really explain anything at all. It was very ...more
Grace
Apr 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is one of those books that either looks lame when you look at the cover and the description, or or looks like one of those run of the mill modern romance books. This one turned out better then I thought. Court had such a sarcastic, powerful, poignant voice; she made me laugh. Most authors try and capture that voice when writing a romance book like this, but Clark really did it. Also made me wish I could write in my journal that wittily.

While there wasn't much of a plot, it was still pretty
Xiao Mei
Apr 10, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freshmen-year
Banana Splitsville is a good book. This book is told in diary entries through the perspective of Courtney, a teenage girl in her senior year of high school. In this book, Courtney gets dumped by her boyfriend, Dave, who is a year older than her and is going to be in college. Shocked, Courtney thinks her life cannot get any worse than it already is. Even though she is still mad at him, she still likes him. She pretends she doesn’t like him but in her heart, she still does.

I would recommend this b
Rachael
Mar 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I finished Truth or Dairy a few days ago. I think the cover looks a little funny, but you know what they say, don't judge a book by it's cover.

Main character Courtney is just getting over being dumped by her boyfriend Dave. In her anger, she resolves not to date anyone in her senior year in high school. So she joins student council and keeps working at Truth or Dairy, a smoothie place whose name coincides with the title of this book.

The plot moves a bit slowly, but the ending is fulfilling. In a
Andrew
May 04, 2010 rated it liked it
I think this was republished with the slightly better title Banana Splitsville. I keep finding Clark books. Well, this was fun, if not as real as the other Clark books I've read. Pretty funny. Favorite moment:

(looking at a package of tampons)

"Question: Why would anyone ever want to got to www.tampax.com? And what links would it have? I sort of don't want to know.
Dear www.tampax.com: Are you there, God? It's me, court364@netcom."

Someone should thank Judy Blume for giving us the great go-to perio
Katy
Feb 11, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Lefty Kalaitzis
This book wasn't horrible , but it is just like your average Romance novel. But the storyline is just so simple, you can pratically predict everything that will happpen in the book. It is about this girl named Courtney who is unexpectedly dumped by her boyfriend who is a year older and is going off to college and wants to be set free. Ofcourse Courtney is not pleased with this and she still has feelings for him. She decides to go on a boy-fast and swear off boys but she ends up falling for anoth ...more
Claire B.
Apr 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Courtney von Dragen Smith is fed up with boys. She has sworn them off for the rest of her life... or so she thinks. She wants to go through senior year without going out with another guy, but it could be hard, what with Grant Superior and "The Tom" everywhere she looks. While struggling with managing a new Truth or Dairy (a smoothie shop) and getting through a student council election, Courtney finds some valuable life lessons. Such as: don't make a promise you can't keep.
Teen
This is cute story told in diary entries about a girl who works at a dairy bar. She is interested in one boy, but it is her old friend who turns out to be the real love interest. This is a light story, but enjoyable. We particularly like stories where the girl sees in a whole new light a boy who has been a friend.
Lisa
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
kb
Aug 30, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-reads, 2010-reads
What? Don't look at me like that. Don't look at the book cover like that. If you're a sucker for teen angst, self-deprecating humor and well, novels in diary form, you'll like this one, too.
Danielle
I REALLY wanted to like this book, i thought the cute title and cover art would add up to a cute, light young adult read.... but i didnt like it.
its written in blog/diary style.
I dont Recommend it. I am not going to give it a horrible review. its enough to say that i dont like it and wont read it again. this author does have potential.
Hillary
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
I am fairly certain that if the lead and I had met in high school, I would have killed her. Thankfully this was quick and just pure fluff, and my brain didn't leak out of my ears from the girls stupidity.
Rebecca
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it

This book wins the prize for best book cover ever because of...
-The cow flying out of the blender
-The guy flying out of the blender (Dave?) and his facial expression
-The bananas that look like dolphins
-The various fruits and vegetables
-The girl's face on the back of the cover
Marie
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was good, i defiantly was to sure about the diary entries when i first started reading it but it wasn't that bad. It was kinda typical, girl gets dump by guy, girl swears to never love again, girl tries to get back guy, but falls in love with another. Typical..
Reader101
Jun 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD book.
Marsela`
Feb 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, romance perfect
Ari
Feb 20, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
how do these books get published??? I can't believe there's a sequel....
Yeji
Oct 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
love her last name... Courtney VON DRAGEN SMITH. hahaha sucks to be her xD
lol i love the book ;)
Chelsea
Jul 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
This is absolutely one of my favorite books. The main character, Courtney, has some serious laugh-out-loud moments. I really enjoyed the sequel as well.
Emma
Apr 15, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This one kind of stunk..... A whole lot
  • Love, Hollywood Style
  • Party Games (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Gettin’ Lucky
  • Snow in Love
  • In the Stars
  • Something Borrowed
  • The Secret Life of a Teenage Siren (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Mediterranean Holiday: Or, How I Moved to a Tiny Island and Found the Love of My Life
  • Sea of Love (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Dancing Queen
  • She's Got the Beat
  • Hard to Get
  • Perfect Shot
  • Getting to Third Date
  • Cupidity
  • Do-Over (Royally Jacked, #3)
  • Tropical Kiss
  • Snow Queen
I love reading books for children, young adults, new adults and all the old people after that.

I love writing for pretty much the same audiences.

More about Catherine Clark

Courtney Von Dragen Smith (3 books)
  • Rocky Road Trip (Courtney Von Dragen Smith, #2)
  • Love and Other Things I'm Bad At (Courtney Von Dragen Smith, #3)

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Some Fine Day
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
  • Hate List