Start by marking “The Christmas Tree” as Want to Read:
The Christmas Tree

The Christmas Tree

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  1,238 Ratings  ·  167 Reviews
The Christmas Tree is the tale of a little girl named Anna, who is orphaned and sent to live in a convent. The lonely girl befriends, as only a child can, a tiny fir tree. Anna and Tree, as she calls him, grow up together, unlocking the secrets of friendship and sharing the wonders of nature. It is this same profound appreciation and love of nature that the grown-up Anna ...more
Published October 8th 1996 by Random House (first published December 12th 1991)

Wilma
Jan 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Klein boekje(hardcover) met prachtige illustraties! Een lief kerstverhaal over liefde voor de natuur en de liefde van het weesmeisje Anna voor Boom. De kracht van haar liefde voor Boom als deze sterft, de kracht om deze liefde te delen met de rest van de wereld. Boom wordt als kerstboom geplaatst op Rockefeller Center in New York zodat iedereen van hem kan houden!!
Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈
This is such a wonderful and endearing Christmas story about friendship, love, and the reluctance to accept change. I was totally not expecting to love it as much as I did.

This sweet little novella focuses on our unnamed narrator who is the chief gardner at Rockefeller Center. His primary job in the non-Christmas season is to search the countryside for the perfect tree to light up Rockefeller Center at Christmas. One day he happens to find the PERFECT tree in a wooded grove in New Jersey. Upon d
Heidi
Dec 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a book I want to read each Christmas season. It is The Christmas Tree by Julie Salamon. I first found out about this book after having seen the movie years ago while visiting my mother. My aunt had taped it for me to see. I just had to read the book and found it at a bargain price at the bookshop. This little hardback book is charming not only for its story but also for the little illustrations.

Sister Anthony and Tree have been friends since she was a little girl so when she is approache
Kathy Worrell  ツ
I’ll go with three stars.

I just don’t know what I think about this story.

A nun has this unusual, sixty year relationship with a Norway Spruce she calls, Tree.

It’s sad and heartwarming sprinkled with a little creepy.
Mj
Dec 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
To my surprise and joy, The Christmas Tree by Julie Salamon turned out to be a wonderful Christmas story for tiny tots and older folks alike.

Sight unseen, I was expecting a Children’s Picture-Book – equal weightings story and illustrations. While the illustrations in The Christmas Tree are delightful there is only 1 illustration about every 6 pages or 20 pictures in a 118 page book. In addition, the illustrations are only 1/6 or 1/3 of the page at most. However, Julie Webber’s uses a lot of colo
Samantha
Dec 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Samantha by: Patricia
Shelves: holiday, adult
'Tis the season to find a Christmas tree for Rockefeller Center. That is the mission of the main character in this book. He spends an entire year, just looking for the perfect tree. & once Christmas day passes, he gets to start all over again for the upcoming year.

Amidst all the trees, he finds a Norway Spruce that is absolutely perfect. Unfortunately it is the best friend of Sister Anthony, a nun at Brush Creek. After hearing her story, he decides to go about his business and leave Tree al
Lori Henrich
Oct 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Jesse King is the man in charge of finding the Christmas tree for Rockefeller Center. He starts early so that he has plenty of time to get a back up just in case. He finds the tree he wants on the grounds of a beautiful convent. When he goes to make inquiries about the tree he is interested in, he discovers that there is one particular nun that he has to win over. Her name is Sister Anthony. Sister Anthony has a long history with the desired tree Over the span of a fee years he hears the story o ...more
Edan DeVilbiss
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The name of my book is,"The Christmas Tree", by Julie Salamon. This book is endearing and heart touching based on a true story. Told in first person, the main conflict is between Sister Anthony and herself.

Flying above the plains, a Rockefeller Center gardener spots the "perfect" Christmas tree. He is told a convent owns the tree. Once there, he is redirected to one of the main characters, a nun named Sister Anthony. She tells him about this tree and how "Tree", what she has named it, has meant
Cresta McGowan
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A very sweet Christmas 🎄 story.
Arlene
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of the best Christmas stories I've ever read. Love of nature, friendship, sharing. It is not just a story for kids, it's for adults too.
Tina Cipolla
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My sister gave this book to my kids for Christmas and I ended up reading the whole thing in one sitting by myself. Totally heartwearming story about a little orphan who grows up in a convent (total fantasy because by and large the nuns were nice and loving toward her--the author obviously didn't go to Catholic school) and befriends a sapling tree on the grounds of the convent. She joins the nuns in adulthood and eventually has to part with the tree and it becomes the Rockefeller Center Christmas ...more
CindyLulu
This is a delightful story about loving nature and honoring the beauty of "The Tree" that would become The Rockefeller Center Tree. It is heartwarming and at the same time captures the narrator's complex holiday chaos, hustle and bustle and his desire to recapture the true meaning of Christmas in his own heart. A reminder that every tree is a giving tree!
Kathryn
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas, 2013
I am so very glad my library was able to find a copy of this little book for me. I requested it back in October or November and much to my surprise it arrived in February. This is a little story full of the love of Tree, the Christmas tree in Rockefeller Square and how it came to be there this one particular year.
Linore
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sweet, nostalgic, and touching, this makes a nice addition to anyone's holiday reading list. As a bonus, you get the inside scoop of what it takes to get that giant tree each year in Rockefeller Center. Not sure yet? It's the kind of story that's so nice you wish it weren't fiction.
Andrea Wright
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a wonderful read with my morning coffee and highly recommend it to anyone. What a surprise I had to find that I knew the story already. I watched a t.v. movie 20 years ago with just this story and never forgot it. I love Tree!
Kayleigh
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quick little read and book. I really enjoyed the whole story and wished it was longer. A great read around the holidays.
Jodi
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A heartwarming story a try to read every year at Christmas time.
Kim Skwira hoffmann
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Always a nice little story to reread at Christmas.
Melanie Maloney
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scanned
Adorable little Christmas read about a Rockefeller Christmas Tree!
Lora Shouse
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having added this book to my book list, I was unable to find it for many years. The Christmas Tree was first written in 1996. I am fortunate to have found this twentieth-anniversary edition for Kindle.

The author says she was hoping to write a story that adults and children would enjoy. So this is not a book written specifically for early readers. But it works very well as the sort of book parents might read to their children.

The head gardener at Rockefeller Center in New York has the job of find
Mary
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Christmas Tree is exactly what I look for in a Christmas story - a little sadness that only makes the the reader appreciate the sweetness of this hopeful little story.

The Chief Gardner at Rockefeller Center is looking for the perfect tree for the centerpiece of the Christmas decorations when he comes across the perfect tree on the grounds of a convent. There he meets Sister Anthony, the person who will decide if he can have the tree or not. They become friends of sorts and he comes out to l
Concetta Kellough
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I watched a TV movie many years ago titled The Christmas Tree with Andrew McCarthy and Julie Harris. I absolutely loved it even though I balled my eyes out. I have tried finding the movie every Christmas since then to no avail. I was finally able to see on IMDB.com that it really was a movie and not just a figment of my imagination. I didn't know it was a book, but when I saw it was being published again I couldn't wait to read it. It's a short book and after I had gotten a few pages into it I t ...more
Phaedra221
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
It's such a short book that to write anything about it becomes the entire story. So, all I'll say is that I thought the prologue was the best part. Having lived or worked in NYC for most of my life, I got to see the tree in Rockefeller Center many times. Reading about what it takes to find and transport the tree made it come alive to me.
Mary
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow, my favorite Christmas read this Christmas season!!! Having been to NYC and Rockefeller Center at Christmas time, made this even more real and magical. What a great story - Sister Anthony and Tree - great characters. Thank-you!
Amy
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A heartwarming Christmas story. This is how I feel about all of my Christmas trees. Loved the illustrations, too.
Jackie Ensley
Dec 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Short cute story
Missy
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really cute, short and simple Christmas story. Written by the POV of the NYC gardener who's in charge of acquiring the Rockefeller Center tree, and the group of nuns that he gets the tree from.
Amanda
Read this years ago and discovered just now it is not on my shelf! Love the context and the joyous tone; inspirational is an understatement.
Sue Munson
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet story

This is a lovely story that is appropriate for the holiday season but wonderful any time. It's a story of trust, care, and friendship-- and the joy of remembering.
Lisa Breit
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a very sweet story for Christmas. I highly recommend it.
  • The Christmas Wish
  • The Paper Bag Christmas
  • The Christmas Clock
  • Christmas Day in the Morning
  • Finding Father Christmas (Father Christmas, #1)
  • I Believe in Santa Claus
  • The Christmas Scrapbook (Harmony, #5.5)
  • Tidings of Comfort & Joy: A Tender Story of Love, Loss, and Reunion
  • On Strike for Christmas
  • The Christmas Candle
  • Christmas Jars Reunion
  • How Mrs. Claus Saved Christmas (The Christmas Chronicles #2)
  • The Christmas Hope (Christmas Hope, #3)
  • Silver Bells
  • The Reindeer Keeper: Believe Again...
  • The Shepherd, the Angel, and Walter the Christmas Miracle Dog
  • A Dog Named Christmas (A Dog Named Christmas #1)
  • A Christmas Dress for Ellen
Julie Salamon has written ten books in many genres, most recently Mutt's Promise, illustrated by Jill Weber. Their previous collaboration was Cat in the City. Julie's other books include New York Times bestsellers Wendy and the Lost Boys and The Christmas Tree (also illustrated by Jill Weber--a new edition was released Fall, 2016), as well as Hospital, The Devil’s Candy, Facing the Wind , The Net ...more
More about Julie Salamon

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • The Wednesday Sisters
  • Allie and Bea
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This