Start by marking “Hedge Witch: A Guide to Solitary Witchcraft” as Want to Read:
Hedge Witch: A Guide to Solitary Witchcraft

Hedge Witch: A Guide to Solitary Witchcraft

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  469 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Written in the form of letters from an experienced witch to her two apprentices, solitary witchcraft is offered, not as a substitute for coven worship, but as a fulfilling lifestyle in its own right. This book provides spells for all the key festivals of the witch's calendar - describing the therapeutic powers of trancework and herbalism and outlining the Pagan approach to ...more
Published August 31st 1992 by Robert Hale Ld. (first published February 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Hedge Witch, please sign up.

Liz Watkin This book is pretty old and is not at all a rip off of Cunningham. Rae Beth is highly respected in the UK. There a number of books that use the title…moreThis book is pretty old and is not at all a rip off of Cunningham. Rae Beth is highly respected in the UK. There a number of books that use the title Hedge Witch. (less)

Jessie
Along with Marion Green's "A Witch Alone" this is one of the best resources for those on a solitary path.
Lily Wren
Dec 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Hedge Witch was the first book I read relating to the subject matter, in fact the first book I read that related specifically to witchcraft that captured my imagination, spurred my creativity and set off a spark of inspiration for me. It is also a book I find myself returning too when I find I am feeling a little flat and uninspired. Why is this I wonder? Personally, I find Rae Beth's writing quite accessible and also inspiring. Hedge Witch is no exception. The book potray's key festivals in the ...more
C.W. Smith
Mar 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Myself two years ago
For 75 cents, and considering my disdain for the presentation of the material (Rae Beth provides instruction for two prospective Wiccans in the guise of letters), The Wiccan Path contains a surprising amount of information about Wicca, nature religions, and trancework. I integrated some of her recommended visualization exercises into my inchoate meditation routines, and to beneficial results (i.e., I learned a thing or two about myself and had a bit of a spiritual/creative outpouring). In additi ...more
Lesley Lane
May 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Most people seemed to have hated the letter format. It took some getting used to but by the end it didn't bother me. While reading I marked passages dealing with the Sabbat rituals and trance work so I could easily find these later to reference.

However this book is about Wicca, not headgecraft. Hedgecraft is not a solitary Wiccan and Wiccan are not the only witches as Rae Beth seems to believe. Futhermore, hedgewitches are not overly formal and do not create and execute formal rituals like the
Damaskcat
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a fascinating book written in a chatty informal style as letters to two friends who are interested in witchcraft. It is illustrated with line drawings. If you think witchcraft is all about going around dressed in rags, carrying a broomstick, wearing and pointy hat and followed by a black cat then you will need to rethink your ideas after reading this book.

Witchcraft can be followed as an individual or as part of a coven, or with a partner but this book is chiefly for the solitary practit
Caroline Åsgård
I finally got the chance to read this book, I bought it used. As a person who doesn't know any fellow witches to share her views with, I thought this would be a book to read.

The book consists of letters, written by Rae Beth to two people who are interested in witchcraft in the 80's. She teaches them little by little, step by step and answers their questions and tailors spells and steps to take for them.

I found this book very useful, and I learned more about the practical ways I can practice my r
Michelle
Feb 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: reference
As a 'green witch' or pagan, hedge witchcraft is very closely connected to my own path and a friend picked me this as a present during a trip to Camden. I found it an interesting read, and though Beth is toted as one of the best references in this field of paganism, I found this book lacking in some areas.
It was written in the form of letters, advising two newcomers to the craft on ritual and practice, but unfortunately, as the author was not privy to all the readers beliefs (obv.) it was somewh
Sharnie Ellis
Dec 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: paganism
Useful information but lacking in the ability to navigate to specific info. The book's structure of letters between correspondences makes it hard to know where information is among the extraneous sentiments. Additionally, the letters are addressed to those who are beginners, so the lessons taught here may not be more than the basics. Those who already know the basics might get bored. Still - if you can highlight this book and tab it up, it will work for those who want 'a year in the life' of a h ...more
Sarah Hornby
I couldn't actually finish this book, but more for the reason that it just wasn't what I thought it was going to be rather than that I didn't like it or anything like that. So I won't give it a rating.

There was too much of a Wiccan influence in it, which I really wasn't expecting seeing as thought it would be more about traditional witchcraft.

However, if you are Wiccan then chances are it's the right book for you, but as I don't follow that path, it was just irrelevent.
Jule
Feb 22, 2014 rated it did not like it
this is a great WICCA book. not a witch craft book as the cover might suggest,if you follow wicca this would be a great book. This book has no ref to hetcate,persphone, poppets etc witch you might get in a proper witcraft book. Another note wicca circles are made to stop outside influences but in witchcraft the circle is used for this and for containment.
Nicole Diamond
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
If it has one star I liked it a lot
If it has two stars I liked it a lot and would recommend it
If it has three stars I really really liked it a lot
If it has four stars I insist you read it
If it has five stars it was life changing
Bev Jessop
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
Written in the form of instructive letters to apprentices, this is a teaching book, covering the Wheel of the Year, the Elements and more.
Jana
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Not really what I expected, but nevertheless one of the better books about Wicca/Witchcraft. I especially liked the second part about trancework.
Conni (AKA Book Goddess) Wrightsman
This is one of my all time favorites, I highly recommend it to all studying the ways of Wicca.
Kim Foreman
Feb 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book; very informative. This book started my interest in witchery.
Elizabeth
Dec 11, 2008 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I am not Wiccan, but this book has me spell-bound!
Sherri
Aug 02, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
No - for those always asking - I'm not wiccan - just curious about different religions & enjoy reading books about it. Really liked the way this book was written.
Tod Jones
Apr 01, 2016
Kevin Taylor
Nov 08, 2016
Kath
rated it did not like it
Apr 16, 2017
Zainab Riaz
Feb 20, 2015
Araminta Matthews
Jul 17, 2014
  • A Witch Alone: Thirteen Moons to Master Natural Magic
  • Natural Magic
  • The Real Witches' Kitchen
  • Grandmother Moon: Lunar Magic in Our Lives--Spells, Rituals, Goddesses, Legends, and Emotions Unde
  • Witch in the Kitchen: Magical Cooking for All Seasons
  • The Circle Within: Creating a Wiccan Spiritual Tradition
  • Evolutionary Witchcraft
  • Witch Crafting: A Spiritual Guide to Making Magic
  • The Witches' God
  • Witch's Halloween: A Complete Guide to the Magick, Incantations, Recipes, Spells, and Lore
  • Power of the Witch: The Earth, the Moon, and the Magical Path to Enlightenment
  • Positive Magic: Occult Self-Help

$7.74 $1.99
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    $7.99 $1.99
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All Over But the Shoutin'
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Sous Chef: 24 Hours on the Line
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Three Nights in August: Strategy, Heartbreak, and Joy Inside the Mind of a Manager
    $14.99 $1.99