Start by marking “Bear Stays Up for Christmas (The Bear Books)” as Want to Read:
Bear Stays Up for Christmas (The Bear Books)

Bear Stays Up for Christmas (Bear)

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  6,612 Ratings  ·  191 Reviews

"The day before Christmas,

snuggled on his floor,

Bear sleeps soundly

with a great big snore...."

How a SURPR

Board book, 34 pages
Published October 4th 2011 by Little Simon (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Bear Stays Up for Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bear Stays Up for Christmas

Janie Johnson
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, aeverie2016
This is the second book for February that I read with my grandson Aeverie. Even though this was meant for Christmas we still enjoyed it a lot. This one is written in verse and the title is pretty self explanatory. The illustrations are done beautifully as well. A great read for the little ones at Christmas time.
Candice
Dec 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
Everyone knows that bears sleep through the winter, but Bear's friends do not want him to miss Christmas, so Bear does his best to stay up.

"He stands with a stretch
and a great big sigh.
'I hope I can make it.
I do want to try.'
'Don't worry,' squeaks Mouse.
Hare says, 'It's all right.
We'll keep you busy
all day and all night.'"

And keep him busy they do, with many of the traditional Christmas activities - getting and decorating a tree, baking, singing Christmas carols. This is a wonderful book to read
Joanna Marple
Oct 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some authors just have it – that ability to write stories in rhyme for young children that simply dance off the page and spill off the tongue with a tempo and fluidity that make them so easy to read aloud and so captivating for a child to listen to. Karma Wilson is one such author.

The scene is set – will Bear hibernate through yet another Christmas day, or will his faithful band of animal friends manage to keep him awake? Having read quite a few now in the Bear series, I, like all children, can’
Heather
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dolly
Jul 05, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading to young children
Our girls really like this one. Once again, Karma Wilson and Jane Chapman have come through with a fun story about Bear and his friends.

With a rhyming narrative, this story with a Christmas theme is fun to read aloud. And the pictures are charming - we love Bear's expressions. We really enjoy reading this book together and we've read it many times.

December 2015 update: We borrowed this book again from our local library to read with our two-year-old niece during her visit with my brother-in-law
Andrea Hussey
Shakita
Sep 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: friends, christmas
This book was fun to read. All the animals convinced the bear to stay up for Christmas this year and it shows all the activities they did. You could ask the children why do they think bear slept through Christmas every year and introduce them to the word "hibernation." This book shows that the value of friendship and also shows you that when you treat others well, you will be trated well too. Bear made all his friends gifts while they were sleeping and didn't even notice Santa bringing him a gif ...more
Heidi
Dec 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We love these! Every kids book should have such a catchy rhyme pattern.

1/11/10: And today we just read the new one: Bear Feels Scared. Also great! (Others in the series: Bear Snores On, Bear's New Friend, Bear Feels Sick...)
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Bear is hibernating for the winter but his friends wake him for Christmas. Will Bear be able to stay up? With the help of his friends---maybe.

Cute illustrations. I love how the friends come together to do something special for a friend.
Barbara
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Sweet sweet story. Lovely illustrations!
haley
My brother and I loved this story as kids, as well as Bear Snores On. So adorable. Highly recommend.
Hanna
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aivan ihana tarina ja upeat kuvat!
Rachel
Nov 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a cute read about a bear forced out of hibernation by his friends to celebrate Christmas together! :)
Katie
Dec 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
An enjoyable Christmas read aloud.
Amber
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Bear is always a hit with littles and storytime.
Jessica Reynolds
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picture Book: I definitely liked this book! The illustrations were so fun and I loved the plot and text in the story. It would definitely be a fun read for Christmas-time, but I liked it even when it wasn't Christmas!
Michael
It was good, but nothing excellent. Art is wonderful, as with all others in the series.
Dana
Dec 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
I really enjoyed reading this book, its got lovely cute illustrations, plus its a rhyming book which I enjoy and the children also do, because they can guess the last word at the end of the next sentence and become really involved in the story!

Its nice because this is not a typical christmas traditional book, so the story kept the children guessing and engaged. The story is about a bear who usually looks after all his friends and at christmas he is considering wether to hibernate or not.

Bear's
Karen
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I fell in love with Karma Wilson's "Bear" books early on in my years as a children's librarian. They are a joy to read out loud, either to an audience of one or thirty. The rhythm, meter and word choice is always perfect. And there is always a "heart-tug" moment. Karma Wilson paints with her words: every one is needed, not one is wasted. In this book, Bear takes time away from his hibernation to give his friends a special surprise at Christmas. He succeeds, but he, also, is surprised.

Jane Chapma
Angie
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Synopsis: "Bear's friends are determined to keep Bear awake for Christmas! So they wake Bear up and have him help them find a Christmas tree, bake cakes, hang up stockings, and sing Christmas songs. Bear stays up -- by discovering that giving is one of the best Christmas presents!

How a SURPRISE visit from someone very special gives Bear and his friends a Christmas to remember makes an enchanting holiday story for young readers. With Karma Wilson's memorable text and Jane Chapman's glowing illust
Michelle McBeth
SUMMARY: Bear should be hibernating, but he is determined to stay up to spend Christmas with his friends. His friends will keep him busy to keep him awake they say. They go tree hunting, trim the tree and put up their stockings. Bear is wide awake now while his friends fall asleep. This gives him time to do some of his own preparations for Christmas Day.

ILLUSTRATIONS: As always, I love love love the endearing illustrations and fun little details.

REVIEW: How does a bear who should be hibernating
Samantha Kerney
One of many “Bear” books by Karma Wilson, this picture book is great for the holiday season. Bear’s buddies try to keep him awake on Christmas Eve so that he can experience the festivities of Christmas. The only problem is that Bear is supposed to be hibernating. He is so very tired, and fights sleep throughout the entire book. Readers experience hilarious events and plot twists throughout the story, keeping them engaged. This book is perfect for a younger group of students due to its predictabi ...more
Malissa
Dec 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a special book for me because I adore this entire series and I am pretty sure that while my children throughly enjoy this book I really bought it just for me, haha. The illustrations are gorgeous and just wonderful to look at and get lost in and the story. Ah, I love this story. The story of Bear and his wonderful group of friends. The narrative is rhyming and another lovely one to read out loud to your youngest children. I adore the feeling in this book. The knowledge that this group of ...more
Hope Gockenbach
Bear is woken up by his friends on Christmas Eve. They complained that he missed Christmas last year and that he has to stay up for it this year. He is sleepy form being woken up from such a deep sleep, but he does his best to stay up. The story talks about all the activities that his friends have him do that are Christmas related to try to keep him awake. He does all the activities but is constantly almost about to fall back asleep. Eventually, all his friends go to sleep that night, but he kno ...more
Nicole
Bear tends to hibernate all through the winter season, which means he is sound asleep during Christmas! His forest friends are determined to make sure Bear stays awake this year, so they find several holiday themed tasks for Bear to do. Will he be able to stay awake with his friends, or will he fall into a deep slumber?

This charming book is sure to become a family favorite. The rhythmic story is beautifully backed by stunning illustrations. Readers are introduced to several forest animals and ar
Cathy
Dec 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cathy by: previous books
"The day before Christmas,

snuggled on his floor,

Bear sleeps soundly

with a great big snore...."

Richard Ross
Our fourth Bear does whatever book and we're done. I can recite Bear Snores On verbatim; my son loves it. The rest are formulaic, mostly pointless, and boring.

A bear "snoring on" - despite the chaos in his den - is interesting precisely because we know the bear won't keep snoring on. He will wake up and, presumably, start eating critters. The fact that he doesn't only makes it more interesting.

But where's the intrigue in hearing about a bear who "stays up"? Oh no, he might fall back to sleep!!
Aleece
Another addition to the Bear Snores On series. This time instead of Bear sleeping while his friends have a party his friends are trying to make sure Bear stays up for Christmas so they go get a tree, decorate it and have fun while waiting for Santa.

This is another cute addition that kids will love to read while waiting for Christmas. It also introduces the some traditions of decorating the tree/what some do to get ready for Christmas. As always the illustrations and text work wonderfully togethe
Ina
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime-reads
Bear's friends come together to make sure Bear does not sleep through Christmas this year. They keep him up and together they all prepare for Christmas, getting the tree and making decorations, baking and singing carols. As his friends fall asleep on Christmas Eve, Bear gets busy filling stockings and wrapping gifts, and everyone has a wonderful Christmas morning, before Bear gets tucked in again to continue his long winter nap. Charming story, told in rhyme with equally charming illustrations.
Brin
Jan 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-children
This series doesn't capture my imagination or interest. I don't get it. This one interested me less than others, though really there's nothing wrong with it. It's fine, it's just nothing great.

Santa's in the background but I think he doesn't actually do anything because Bear does it all. Huh?

Storyline:
Bear is hibernating but his friend wake him up for Christmas. Everyone has Christmas fun. Bear's friends fall asleep but bear stays up making Christmas for them all.
  • Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear!
  • Bear's First Christmas
  • Russell's Christmas Magic
  • My Penguin Osbert
  • Snowmen at Christmas
  • Llama Llama Holiday Drama
  • I'll Be Home For Christmas (Toot & Puddle)
  • Dream Snow
  • Santa Claus the World's Number One Toy Expert
  • Olivia Helps with Christmas
  • You Are My Miracle
  • Merry Christmas, Curious George
Karma Wilson grew up an only child of a single mother in the wilds of North Idaho. Way back then (just past the stone age and somewhat before the era of computers) there was no cable TV and if there had been Karma could not have recieved it. TV reception was limited to 3 channels, of which one came in with some clarity. Karma did the only sensible thing a lonely little girl could do…she read or pl ...more
More about Karma Wilson...

Bear (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Bear Snores On
  • Bear Wants More
  • Bear's New Friend (The Bear Books)
  • Bear Feels Sick