Start by marking “Bear Stays Up for Christmas” as Want to Read:
Bear Stays Up for Christmas

Bear Stays Up for Christmas (Bear)

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  4,525 ratings  ·  130 reviews

"The day before Christmas,

snuggled on his floor,

Bear sleeps soundly

with a great big snore...."

How a SURPR

Board Book, 34 pages
Published October 4th 2011 by Little Simon (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Bear Stays Up for Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bear Stays Up for Christmas

Candice
Dec 02, 2011 Candice rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
Everyone knows that bears sleep through the winter, but Bear's friends do not want him to miss Christmas, so Bear does his best to stay up.

"He stands with a stretch
and a great big sigh.
'I hope I can make it.
I do want to try.'
'Don't worry,' squeaks Mouse.
Hare says, 'It's all right.
We'll keep you busy
all day and all night.'"

And keep him busy they do, with many of the traditional Christmas activities - getting and decorating a tree, baking, singing Christmas carols. This is a wonderful book to read
Joanna Marple
Some authors just have it – that ability to write stories in rhyme for young children that simply dance off the page and spill off the tongue with a tempo and fluidity that make them so easy to read aloud and so captivating for a child to listen to. Karma Wilson is one such author.

The scene is set – will Bear hibernate through yet another Christmas day, or will his faithful band of animal friends manage to keep him awake? Having read quite a few now in the Bear series, I, like all children, can’
Dana
I really enjoyed reading this book, its got lovely cute illustrations, plus its a rhyming book which I enjoy and the children also do, because they can guess the last word at the end of the next sentence and become really involved in the story!

Its nice because this is not a typical christmas traditional book, so the story kept the children guessing and engaged. The story is about a bear who usually looks after all his friends and at christmas he is considering wether to hibernate or not.

Bear's
Shakita
This book was fun to read. All the animals convinced the bear to stay up for Christmas this year and it shows all the activities they did. You could ask the children why do they think bear slept through Christmas every year and introduce them to the word "hibernation." This book shows that the value of friendship and also shows you that when you treat others well, you will be trated well too. Bear made all his friends gifts while they were sleeping and didn't even notice Santa bringing him a gif ...more
Angie
Synopsis: "Bear's friends are determined to keep Bear awake for Christmas! So they wake Bear up and have him help them find a Christmas tree, bake cakes, hang up stockings, and sing Christmas songs. Bear stays up -- by discovering that giving is one of the best Christmas presents!

How a SURPRISE visit from someone very special gives Bear and his friends a Christmas to remember makes an enchanting holiday story for young readers. With Karma Wilson's memorable text and Jane Chapman's glowing illust
Hope Gockenbach
Bear is woken up by his friends on Christmas Eve. They complained that he missed Christmas last year and that he has to stay up for it this year. He is sleepy form being woken up from such a deep sleep, but he does his best to stay up. The story talks about all the activities that his friends have him do that are Christmas related to try to keep him awake. He does all the activities but is constantly almost about to fall back asleep. Eventually, all his friends go to sleep that night, but he kno ...more
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Bear is hibernating for the winter but his friends wake him for Christmas. Will Bear be able to stay up? With the help of his friends---maybe.

Cute illustrations. I love how the friends come together to do something special for a friend.
Heidi
We love these! Every kids book should have such a catchy rhyme pattern.

1/11/10: And today we just read the new one: Bear Feels Scared. Also great! (Others in the series: Bear Snores On, Bear's New Friend, Bear Feels Sick...)
Richard Ross
Our fourth Bear does whatever book and we're done. I can recite Bear Snores On verbatim; my son loves it. The rest are formulaic, mostly pointless, and boring.

A bear "snoring on" - despite the chaos in his den - is interesting precisely because we know the bear won't keep snoring on. He will wake up and, presumably, start eating critters. The fact that he doesn't only makes it more interesting.

But where's the intrigue in hearing about a bear who "stays up"? Oh no, he might fall back to sleep!!
Karen
I fell in love with Karma Wilson's "Bear" books early on in my years as a children's librarian. They are a joy to read out loud, either to an audience of one or thirty. The rhythm, meter and word choice is always perfect. And there is always a "heart-tug" moment. Karma Wilson paints with her words: every one is needed, not one is wasted. In this book, Bear takes time away from his hibernation to give his friends a special surprise at Christmas. He succeeds, but he, also, is surprised.

Jane Chapma
Sheri
I love the Bear series and the kindness of Bear with his forest friends. Good read alouds with some rhyme to elementary school children. Bear must help his friends prepare for Christmas this year instead of hibernating and does but falls asleep at the end. Cute Christmas themed book for gift giving to children, too.
Brandyn
I liked when the bear and his friends decorated the tree. Also I liked when Santa Clause came and bear was surprised. Bear gave his friends some presents from Santa Clause. I also liked when Bear's friends made him a quilt and then Bear went asleep. The End
Cathy
Dec 12, 2013 Cathy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cathy by: previous books
"The day before Christmas,

snuggled on his floor,

Bear sleeps soundly

with a great big snore...."

Sarah Adamson
A fun winter time and Christmas book about animal friends who wake up their bear friend to enjoy the winter season and Christmas. Good fun, great early reader words and gorgeous illustrations.
Denise
This author does an excellent job capturing the joy of the holiday season, demonstrating the love between friends, and sharing the gift of thoughtfulness.
Gina
We love our Bear stories and this is another sure to please. Rather than hibernating, Bear stays up so he can celebrate the holiday with his woodland pals.
Melanie Rightmyer
Cute illustrations, story was easy for the kids to understand and written in a rhyming pattern so it was a very easy read aloud.
Anne
one of my students has memorized this book...so i had to get it and read it and have it for the classroom.
Pam
I love everything about this book, and that our local library has it! I want to own it myself, though.
Matt Forrest
Cute book. The text and illustrations easily captivate young readers, and the ending is satisfying.
Dolly
Jul 05, 2008 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading to young children
Our girls really like this one. Once again, Karma Wilson and Jane Chapman have come through with a fun story about Bear and his friends. With a rhyming narrative, this story with a Christmas theme is fun to read aloud. And the pictures are charming - we love Bear's expressions. We really enjoy reading this book together and we've read it many times.
Julie Grasso
We love Bear Snores On, so we were keen to get another Bear book. I don't think Bear Snores On could ever be beaten with its engaging rhyme and beautiful rhythm, but Bear Stays Up For Christmas is equally wonderful. My toddler loves this book also and the illustrations are completely stunning yet again. I thoroughly recommend this one and we will be on the lookout for another bear book very soon.
Aleece
Another addition to the Bear Snores On series. This time instead of Bear sleeping while his friends have a party his friends are trying to make sure Bear stays up for Christmas so they go get a tree, decorate it and have fun while waiting for Santa.

This is another cute addition that kids will love to read while waiting for Christmas. It also introduces the some traditions of decorating the tree/what some do to get ready for Christmas. As always the illustrations and text work wonderfully togethe
Ariel
An adorable little Christmas tale. I love Bear!
Voracious_reader
Cute. No surprises. Nice illustrations.
Rachel
Sweet friendships. Cute pictures.
Marilyn Thompson
Fun. Fast read. Kids love it.
Trevor
Nice mixture of excitement and peace.
Ina
Bear's friends come together to make sure Bear does not sleep through Christmas this year. They keep him up and together they all prepare for Christmas, getting the tree and making decorations, baking and singing carols. As his friends fall asleep on Christmas Eve, Bear gets busy filling stockings and wrapping gifts, and everyone has a wonderful Christmas morning, before Bear gets tucked in again to continue his long winter nap. Charming story, told in rhyme with equally charming illustrations.
Katherine Cowley
Bear always sleeps through Christmas--he is a bear, and bears hibernate, after all. But this year his friends don't want him to miss it, so they do all they can to help bear stay up for Christmas. And then bear finds something he can do for his friends in return.

This is a clever picture book with fun animals and repetitions. There's something entirely lovable about the pictures, and it's one I was happy to read to my daughter again and again in the weeks leading up to Christmas.
  • Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear!
  • Russell's Christmas Magic
  • Llama Llama Holiday Drama
  • I'll Be Home For Christmas (Toot & Puddle)
  • Bear's First Christmas
  • Snowmen at Christmas
  • How Santa Got His Job
  • Olivia Helps with Christmas
  • A Wish to Be a Christmas Tree
  • 'Twas The Night Before Thanksgiving (Bookshelf)
  • Santa Claus the World's Number One Toy Expert
  • A Bedtime for Bear
Karma Wilson grew up an only child of a single mother in the wilds of North Idaho. Way back then (just past the stone age and somewhat before the era of computers) there was no cable TV and if there had been Karma could not have recieved it. TV reception was limited to 3 channels, of which one came in with some clarity. Karma did the only sensible thing a lonely little girl could do…she read or pl ...more
More about Karma Wilson...

Bear (10 books)
  • Bear's Loose Tooth
  • Bear Says Thanks
  • Bear Sees Colors
  • Bear Hugs: Romantically Ridiculous Animal Rhymes
Bear Snores On Bear Wants More Bear Feels Sick The Cow Loves Cookies Bear Feels Scared