Start by marking “Plan of Attack (Patrick McLanahan, #12)” as Want to Read:
Plan of Attack (Patrick McLanahan, #12)

Plan of Attack (Patrick McLanahan #12)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  1,948 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
An old enemy is stirring . . .

The destruction of a Russian air base by robotic U.S. warplanes has reawakened the bearand America must pay a terrible price. In retaliation, Russia's leader launches the most devastating military sneak attack since Pearl Harbor, decimating America's strategic air forces. Now an embattled U.S. president must choose between two horrific scenari
Audio, 14 pages
Published May 25th 2004 by HarperAudio (first published May 11th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Plan of Attack, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plan of Attack

Zeke
Nov 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Consumed on a six hour car ride to Baguio. Typical "airport novel" fare from Dale Brown, moreso since it was read back to back with Air Battle Force, which I *had* read many times before. Felt like ABF Part Two.

Then again, outlandish plots featuring futuristic air warfare are pretty much what you expect to get from Dale Brown, in the same way that one doesn't watch Transformers for the plot but rather for the gritty action scenes.
Jeff Brateman
Mar 18, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Overall this storyline of Patrick McClanahan is just silly. I just don't understand creating an alternative universe and timeline (see Back to the Future 2 for clarification), but referencing things from one universe in the other. For example, this book references all the world events that happened in previous books, which was a crazy depiction of the world, but the author then decides to mention 9-11 as a source of something. I think it references the alternative universe by mentioning all the ...more
Kevin
Jul 02, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I felt that this book is really bad on so many levels. First, is it really likely that the post-soviet Russia, deep in debt and with its military rusting in storage, could assemble a massive bomber force to attack the US? And even if such a force was raised, how it could get to the American coast without being detected by US intelligence, satellites, or radar? Even more curious, how could NORAD have virtually no fighters on the West Coast, when so many Air Force squadrons are based there along w ...more
Ultan
Hans Brienesse
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A readable book even if somewhat futuristic and barely believable in places. It is a good attempt at guessing what the technological advances will be in the near forseeable future but regresses to the old traditional foes to develop the plot. But, it was a story that had me reading well past my self-allotted reading times in an attempt to get to the end just to see what the end of the tale was going to be. Have a go, a book for all armed conflict afficionados.
Ron Johnson
Nov 08, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I used to enjoy. Dale Brown's books. But they just keep getting more and more silly. This one is the worst yet. I think I'm done with this author.
Alan Cotterell
Mar 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: minus-one
Not worth one star
Henri Moreaux
Patrick McLanahan return in the twelfth instalment of the series.

Like a plate of cheese one can't read too many Dale Brown books at once or they'll become tiresome and one can't appreciate the characteristics that make them desirable, spread out however? They're excellent (just like the special reserve cheese which was consumed whilst reading this book).

Yes, the plot is far fetched and poor Patrick McLanahan has either the most stellar military career or the worst luck imaginable depending upo
George
Sep 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: public-library
Dale Brown seems to think that the Russians would respond in a limited way to an attack on their homeland. He should research Russian fears and paranoia. That said, the book was an interesting postulate of conflict between the USA and Russia. The civilian political leaders seem to know a lot of technology, nomenclature, etc. for weapon systems. That's a characteristic of Brown's writing...I just got over it and read on. There are only a few fully developed characters in this book, but I have a f ...more
Clyn
Another unrealistic but interesting addition to the series. Although entertaining, the plausibility of having such an egocentric maniac at the head of the Russian government was a little far fetched to me. This was a deviation from Brown's normal pattern of keeping things not so far fetched (with the obvious exception of weapon systems). The character was one you love to hate. A always, I felt like the book ended too fast in one furious battle with not a lot of follow up except in retrospect. St ...more
Ed
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#12 in the Patrick McLanahan series.

Patrick McLanahan, USAF general, has been demoted after attacking a Russian air base. The Russian President retaliates by attacking bomber bases and ICBM sites over the NW quarter of the US with nuclear weapons. As he prepares for a second wave of attacks, Patrick takes the remaining US bomber force on a retaliatory strike into Russia.
Dennis
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book better than the last couple of books in the series. It was full of action and a real page-turner without some of the "out there" stuff that I felt made the prior books a bit more unbelievable. Between this series and the "Dreamland" series of books I still have plenty of Dale Brown books to read before I run out.
Doug
Jun 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fic-dale-brown
Another unbelievable, excellent fantasy from Dale Brown. There is an abruptness here not seen in other stories and a fairly unbelievable and logistical plot nightmare, but overall this is well worth the read.
Olof
Nov 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Halfway into the book I wanted to give it six stars out of five. But, as quite a few of Dale Browns books, the buildup is better than the solution. Still a very good book. Could easily have been supergreat!
Rob
Jul 25, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An average read for me. Seeing that I jumped into this book and it was near the end of the story arch, not sure of who some of the players were. Not as good as Dreamland:Retribution though.

On to finishing Bram Stoker's Dracula.
Chris
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book and air battle force are essentially one book, split into two parts. It is a good story, and ties up all the loose ends from the previous one. There was a lot more story here than he covered, pieces just kinda drifted off with a few words. I liked it.
Bruce
Jul 31, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not much worth reading here. Too much emphasis on military gear. Too much outlandish futuristic stuff, and the plot was pretty weak. McLanahan comes off as a wacko for most of the book, ignoring orders and doing as he pleased.
Tony
IF YOU LIKE WAR---OK
Mike
Jun 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: warfare-fiction
Gryzlov you jack ***
Jim Bocko
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Patrick McLanahan always seems to be at odds with his bosses. You should read this book to find out how things turned out this time. I listened to the audiobook.
Joe Noonan
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took awhile to get into because there was a lot of military hardware jargon but the story picked up and was pretty exciting. Very good read for those that like Clancy
Vaidik Dalal
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Breathtaking .. End was a bit less dramatic
Bill Klanderman
Sep 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a kind of weird book, but at the same time it was hard to put down. Guess that means I liked it. I will read the twelve, the next book in the series.
Angel Serrano
Excesivo despliegue de datos técnicos sobre armamento actual y futuro hacen pesado el libro.
Charles
Jun 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fine book in the McLanahan series. Although the events in the storyline are a little far fetched, thats why it is called fiction. I would recommend to anyone who likes military fiction
James
Jun 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
McLanahan is up to his "old" tricks again.

There are times when this character really ticks me off with his behavior/actions but all in all it is still a good read.
Curtis D.
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked all the imagination and planning that went into this novel, funny that it didn't show that there was 427 pages.
Amos
Oct 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
New books 9-2-2011 of Walmart
Plan of Attack by Dale Brown $3.49
Started 9/9/2011 Finis 9/13/2011 4:30 am Thank God, this is fiction! 5 star…
Dale
Mar 24, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action-thriller
This book was way too technical. The overbearing military details overwhelmed any interest in a story line. Could have been about 400 pages shorter!
Bill
Nov 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome!
Curious 2 6 Jul 21, 2013 07:40AM
  • Scimitar SL-2 (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #7)
  • Bright Star (Scott Dixon, #2)
  • The Enemy Within
  • Fortunes of War
  • Force of Eagles (Jack Locke, #2)
Former U.S. Air Force captain Dale Brown is the superstar author of 25 consecutive New York Times best-selling military-action-aviation adventure novels: FLIGHT OF THE OLD DOG (1987), SILVER TOWER (1988), DAY OF THE CHEETAH (1989), HAMMERHEADS (1990), SKY MASTERS (1991), NIGHT OF THE HAWK (1992), CHAINS OF COMMAND (1993), STORMING HEAVEN (1994), SHADOWS OF STEEL (1996) and FATAL TERRAIN (1997), TH ...more
More about Dale Brown...

Patrick McLanahan (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Flight of the Old Dog (Patrick McLanahan, #1)
  • Night of the Hawk (Patrick McLanahan, #2)
  • Sky Masters (Patrick McLanahan, #3)
  • Day of the Cheetah (Patrick McLanahan, #4)
  • Shadows of Steel (Patrick McLanahan, #5)
  • Fatal Terrain (Patrick McLanahan, #6)
  • The Tin Man (Patrick McLanahan, #7)
  • Battle Born (Patrick McLanahan, #8)
  • Warrior Class (Patrick McLanahan, #9)
  • Wings of Fire (Patrick McLanahan, #10)