Start by marking “Lure (Siren's Call, #1)” as Want to Read:
Lure (Siren's Call, #1)

Read Excerpt

Lure (Siren's Call #1)

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  602 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
Charlotte Brewer is sure she’s crazy when she hears singing drifting from the ocean—normal people don’t have arias playing on repeat in their head. When she gets wasted at a party and investigates the ethereal tune, she almost drowns. Charlotte comes to with an overwhelming thirst for salt water, a new desire to eat fish, and a heartbeat of only seven beats a minute. She w ...more
Published March 29th 2011

Annie McElfresh
Apr 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I've read a ton of books, and I have to say Lure surpasses a lot of the books I've read lately. Charlotte makes you root for her. Her story is so addictive. I literally couldn't put it down. The voice in the first paragraph hooked me right away and told me this was a girl I could totally be friends with. She isn't afraid to call someone out on their crap, which in my eyes makes for an awesome female lead character. She will keep you on your toes.

I was captivated by the first chapter. I just had
Regina Linton
May 11, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
It took me until almost the end of the story to really get a feel for Charlotte and like her. I enjoyed the fact that it was realistic that she was a waitress in a restaurant and that is where she met Wyatt (Golden). At first I liked him until he made a really bad choice. I did really feel for Char when she would run across Kyle and could feel her internal conflict that she suffered with him and his actions.

The highlight for me was when she and Matt started hanging out. He is a little more of a
Megan
Apr 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took a few pages for me to get into this book because I'm not usually into MCs like Charlotte, snarky and into wild parties, but as I got to know Charlotte, I realized there was depth to her. Plus, as a New England resident, I saw that her salty demenour (no pun intended) matched that of several New England girls I know.
When I started reading this book, I didn't know much about it - just that it was an urban fantasy. And I've got to say, knowing little made it an exciting, unexpected read. T
Chrystal
Jun 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I devoured this book. I really enjoyed the characters and got to know them quite well while reading. Even though I couldn't stop reading this book, I feel like there were some pretty substantial plot holes and gaps that's need to be filled. Also, the ending was very loose and confusing to me. All in all, this was a fun read and I would recommend it to others.
Claudia
Apr 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I've read this book several times and I love it. I still think Charlotte's name should have been Claudia though. =)

Chanelle
Shelves: arc-review, out-now
Amazing, fresh and beautiful. You should all buy this book.
Lauren
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The story started out a bit slow but quickly picked up pace around page 30 or so. I ended up finishing Lure fairly quickly, however I was left with a lot of mixed emotions that were weighed down by the negative.

When it comes to supernatural YA books it feels like the characters interchange between Vampires, Werewolves, Zombies, or Witches, therefore I found it very refreshing to read about Sirens. I found that Lure did a pretty good job of taking well-known Greek Mythological stories and creatur
Annie
Jun 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you, THANK YOU for not being an overdone, cliche true-love-at-first-sight story.
It's so rare to find a well-done romance anymore, particularly in the young adult realm. Stephanie Jenkins, however, managed to write and self-publish a good story.

I loved the way that the teen romance wasn't overdone, nor was the character "Char" overly angst-ridden. Jenkins achieved a healthy balance of realism and drama, which seems to be a lost art among modern authors.

Not to mention the fantastic twists a
Jun 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very entertaining read. The writing style is easy to read and the plot isn't hard to follow. Charlotte is a great character. The entire time I was enjoying her sass and personality. The romance has an organic quality that other books sometimes lack.
I am very impressed with this. It is such great value.
Carmen Marie
LOVED IT!!!! I definitely did not want to stop reading it...I absolutely love Charlotte!! Jenkins really brings her characters to life, plenty of humor, adventure, and even love. teenagers struggle enough but to become a siren and learn how to make it all work and even fall in love -- WOW! I am excited for book 2 (YAY!!!) to come out...
Karry
Jun 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book hands down. Wouldn’t know it was a SP by looking at it. It was written well. I wouldn’t give it to my daughter with some of the drug topics but for an 18+ audience, it was an endearing novel.
Krista Ashe
Shelves: my-111-of-2011
If you're looking for a YAUF with a different spin, then this is the book for you!! It's got a great MC, a hot love interest, lots of action and adventure.
Hmr28
Apr 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, loved everything about it.
Texas Book Lover
Andi
Jun 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
What a great introduction to this author! This was a quick and interesting read.

Charlotte (Char) becomes a siren when she almost drowns, and her life inexplicably changes. She no longer has to eat but constantly craves salt water. She tries to live a normal life while strange things start occurring (like her sudden desire to sing and swim in the middle of the night), but her home life is a mess. Both her brother and father are still reeling from the recent loss of her mother, and the family is
Sarah (Catching Books)

I actually stumbled upon this book a few days ago on my kindle and decided to check it out. I am so glad that I did!!
I am really into the whole siren, mermaid book trend right now and this book is definitely one to check out!

The first thing that caught my eye about this book was the cover. The colors, the girl on the rock, whats not to love about it?

One of the coolest parts of this book was that it blended different myths together. It had the siren myth in it but it also incorporated Greek mytho
Laura's Book Addiction
Stephanie Jenkins has written one gem of a book I was hooked from the first page and taken in my char's story. I'm so glad that it got choosen as the BOM on my facebook page YA indie princess I really liked all the other characters.

I love YA with triangles so I hear you ask who are the book boys after char well first we Wyatt who char calls golden boy I know he got on her nerves in the begining but I was head over heels from the first moment. Then we Matt and I just didn't know what to make o
PhobicPrerogative
Oct 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An engaging book that felt like such a joyous treat!
I admit I had put off reading the book for a while and when I began, I was apprehensive about it: Charlotte's personality 'complex' drove me nuts. Eventually, I came to understand those walls she'd built around herself. That tragedy with her Mom made her distrustful, a bit bitchy and an utter nut-job. Nevertheless, she was a smart kid who wasn't oblivious as to what was happening with her or around her, unlike some protagonists you may come acr
Melissa
Jun 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Though a few parts could have been cut to make it a shorter read it didn't suffer from being overly long. The thing I liked most about this book is that it was very true to teenage life. There was no stepping around things like drinking, drugs, and sex. It was straightforward without being over the top or in your face. It just was. I loved the relationship between Charlotte and Wyatt and really look forward to the next book in the series that comes out next month. It ...more
Julie Salinas
Apr 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indie-good-read
Can't put this story down. I love this style of writing and look forward to other works by this author. My daughter asked me why I kept laughing, but I didn't want her to know the main characters traits reminded me of her. This book will be read by her next.
Alesha Holt
Jan 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really Super Freakin Good!!!!!
Sasha
Lured (Siren Call #1)

Book Completed:
02/18/2013
Book Rating: ★★★★!
Read the series? I hope so, as long as the next book gets published eventually.

The first thing I'd like to mention is "Yay! An actual siren book!" You have no idea how hard it is to find one of these books when you are a siren fanatic. Sirens are different than mermaids, very different so I was incredibly happy when I happened upon this ebook.

description

For finding this free ebook online, I can't believe how much I enjoyed this story. It did
usagi ☆ミ
I have to say, I really enjoyed the spin that Jenkins put on the old myth of the sirens in this book. It starts out kind of slow, but once it picks up pace, you're on the edge of your seat, wondering what's going to happen next. I really had fun with this book, and it's a great summer read.

The idea of Sirens guiding the sea-drowned dead is something I hadn't even considered (and I think a lot on mythology, especially recently), and Jenkins completely surprised me with this idea of having to make
Lorena
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mermaids
This book is kind of a blur. I mean there is nothing striking that really comes to mind when I think of it.

Charlotte was a really weak character, she kind of went with whatever was happening. I remember thinking that her dad was overbearing and a little insufferable at times and that she never spoke up. Not to her friends,her dad or her brother. The people of the town treated her like dirt and it was like her dad never stood up for her and she took it all in. The mistreat, her dad's attitude, he
Eliza Baum
Apr 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-paranormal
I love reading new twists on old tales, whether that be fairy tales, mythology, classic novels, etc. Unfortunately, many of those new stories fall short. I'm not sure if the writers rely too much on the source material to pull the story along, or what, but I've read some disappointing ones, even by seasoned and favorite authors.

This is not one of those poorly-executed attempts.

I bought this book today and devoured it within a few hours. Couldn't put it down. I love that the major characters are
Andrea Lin
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
I enjoyed reading this book. Although for some reason the cover reminds me of Fallen and Shattered just from different angles. Seriously, all three books are almost similar.

OK, the real review.
Charlotte is just a normal girl in a normal life until she becomes a siren. I'll admit I started taking interest in the book when Golden Boy showed up. I practically wanted to slap him when he said his dad couldn't let them be together. What I find a little weird is that even though I get the whole Si
Torie
Jun 30, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lost-my-interest
The synopsis "lured" me in, but after I reading a substantial chunk of the book, I fell out of its trance. The writing is okay, but the characters weren't at all likeable to me. Her friend who's high all the time, and the boy who apparently look like Corbin Bleu, didn't really have any depth to them or any real story behind them at all (other than they mooch off of Charlotte at work). And Charlotte, herself, doesn't seem to have any real endearing factors to her. She plays by the rules, she list ...more
Ashley
Dec 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the book, the love story wasn't one of those instant love types which was refreshing and the main character, Charlotte was kick ass. She was snarky, smart and funny, she wasn't a Mary Sue and she most certainly wasn't perfect. I absolutely love this book and it's one of the few that I've reread more than once. It seems that there may be sequel and I'm certainly looking forward to that!
Mya A.
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. Char was in a accident and that made her an siren. Let me tell you now I love siren books it's just that I can't seem to find them. So....after she became a siren she meets Golden boy or Wyatt. Then one thing leads to another.....in the end Char is to get him to love her and love him herself or remain a soulless siren. While other things in her life get even more weird....
Regina
Oct 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book I really did. Im so sad that book 2 will probably never come out seeing that the author got arrested for scamming but I cant deny that this book is a good book. Char is a real character that has realistic reactions to her surroundings. Shes tough yet vulnerable and the romance between Wyatt and her sizzled. There's no instant love like the usual Ya. If you don't mind thinking of this book as a stand alone then by all means dive in. For 99 cents on kindle its a great read.
  • Fins
  • Between the Land and the Sea (Marina's Tales, #1)
  • Siren's Surrender (Dark Tides, #2)
  • The Secret of the Emerald Sea
  • In Great Waters
  • Merrow
  • Siren's Storm (Siren's Storm, #1)
  • Antara (Antara, #1)
  • Promises (Syrenka, #1)
  • Forbidden Sea (Forbidden Sea, #1)
  • Tangled Tides (The Sea Monster Memoirs, #1)
  • Airborne (Airborne Saga, #1)
  • Ascension (Water, #1)
  • Breathless
  • Captive Mermaid
  • Between the Sea and Sky
  • Everblue (Mer Tales, #1)
  • The Mermaid's Pendant

Siren's Call (2 books)
  • Submerge (Siren's Call, #2)
“I'll like you better if I punch you in the mouth.” 3 likes