Start by marking “The Archived (The Archived, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Archived (The Archived, #1)

The Archived (The Archived #1)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  19,897 Ratings  ·  3,722 Reviews
Imagine a place where the dead rest on shelves like books.

Each body has a story to tell, a life seen in pictures only Librarians can read. The dead are called Histories, and the vast realm in which they rest is the Archive.

Da first brought Mackenzie Bishop here four years ago, when she was twelve years old, frightened but determined to prove herself. Now Da is dead, and Ma
Published January 22nd 2013 by Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about The Archived, please sign up.
Emily D Yes, this is YA, the protagonist is sixteen, and YA is typically marketed to ages 12-19. However, just because a book is targeted to a certain age…moreYes, this is YA, the protagonist is sixteen, and YA is typically marketed to ages 12-19. However, just because a book is targeted to a certain age range it doesn't mean an older person can't read it - a good story is a good story. It doesn't use a lot of the typical YA tropes, so I'm pretty sure an older person could enjoy. For younger kids, there isn't any sexual content or explicit language, but there is violence and darker themes.(less)
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadThe Elite by Kiera CassRequiem by Lauren Oliver
YA Novels of 2013
1,578 books — 11,049 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareLover at Last by J.R. WardRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
2,500 books — 12,336 voters

More lists with this book...

Em
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

It might seem like my whole life revolves around victoria schwab but yes it does
Victoria Schwab
Jan 30, 2012 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Two years in my brain and more than a year putting it on the page properly. I can't wait to be able to share it.
Wendy Darling
I have to admit, it wasn't until the second half of the book that The Archived really started clicking together for me. I've heard that some people who read the extended preview online were unsure if they wanted to continue, and I can see why--but something about the writing was really appealing to me and I ended up having a great experience with it.

Here's what I liked about the book:

* Dead people who are kept on shelves like books? Sign me on! Awesome premise.
* I loved the eerie, something's-n
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book was AMAZING. Everybody needs this book in their life. Do yourself a favor and pick this up ASAP.
C.G. Drews
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Oh yes hello, I think I am thoroughly doomed to adore everything written by Schwab. Everything omg. This book was incredible. It's so unique and the writing just hit me and the characters were all tortured and adorable and somewhat sassy -- AND QUITE FOND OF BAKED GOODS -- so basically I am Schwab trash and not even sad about it.

Also I hear the 3rd book is like...never ever coming out??? SLAY ME. (I ordered the sequel though, so let me read that, and then slay me.)

What really REALLY hit me (omg
Lola  Reviewer
Dec 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommended to Lola by: Liz
description

Thinking back, I don’t remember ever reading something quite like this story before. It was very creative and imaginative, I have to say. The concept refreshing and interesting to read about. Although, there were many things that didn’t work for me as well as they did for multiple other book lovers who read this mysterious looking book.

For being mysterious, that it sure was, especially at the beginning. I was eager to learn everything about the main character’s ability and the world-building,
Raeleen Lemay
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
*2.5*

HEAR ME OUT.

I really loved the intricate world that Victoria Schwab created, and her writing was great as usual. However. The plot fell so flat for me, and I couldn't bring myself to care about anything that was happening. One redeeming factor aside from the world building was WESLEY. I really loved him as a character and it made me sad that he wasn't a bigger part of the story.

I don't think I'll be continuing on with this series (trilogy? duology? who knows.), but I will definitely be chec
Regan
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-owned-read
Victoria Schwab crafts another beautiful and unique story.

Plus, guyliner.
Simona Bartolotta
"Curiosity is a gateway drug to sympathy."

•Do you know when you start a book with preconceptions and you somehow end up liking/not liking the book exactly in the degree you knew you would? Well, I started this book with preconceptions. I liked just as much as I thought I would. That is, a lot.

•Since I am fairly sure you grew tired of my eulogies of Schwab's writing a long time ago, I redirect you to my reviews of A Darker Shade of Magic, A Gathering of Shadows and This Savage Song. Generally s
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Edit: I had so much fun rereading this beautiful book. It was just what I needed. Victoria Schwab is definitely my favourite author. Everything she writes is so solid and fantastic. Can't wait to read book two in this series.

Victoria just gets me. She writes the kinds of books I desperately need in my life. Books with such unique plots and world-building. Books with characters that I attach myself to with my entire heart. Books that keep me up way past my bedtime because I just can't stop readin
Kai
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, owned
“Because the only way to truly record a person is not in words, not in still frames, but in bone and skin and memory.”

This was stunning.
I loved the beginning, the language, the setting and the whole concept. Victoria Schwab can do some real magic with words, which is why I loved this book even more. She is one of the most talented voices in fantasy/YA/science fiction literature and I am baffled and amazed by her writing. The Archived is such a beautiful collection of words. I can't get enough.

I
Kat O'Keeffe
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Amazing story, beautifully written, and all around fantastic characters! AN EXCELLENT READ!
Steph Sinclair
May 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Anna Dressed in Blood and murder mysteries
Actual rating: 4.5

I truly underestimated this book. You know how when you first read a book's blurb and it totally catches your attention as something different and unique? You know that feeling right afterwards that can only be described nothing short of "Gimme Syndrome"? Yeah, that's how I felt with The Archived. But for whatever reason, I got distracted and started picking up other books (you know how it is). Well, one day I was frolicking through my bookshelf, re-read the blurb and engaged t
sreeja (semi-hiatus)
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
“Ignorance may be bliss, but only if it outweighs curiosity. Curiosity is a gateway drug to sympathy.”
The Archived: 4.25 stars
Reasons why reading it was worth it:
•Victoria Schwab’s writing (so amazing <3)

photo adore_zps5crn3hpm.gif

yes somehow guyliner managed to squeeze and find a place in my heart

The Archived is a book that you learn to love more and more as time goes on. The beautiful descriptions and the spot on characters with flaws who get real time consequences for the
Khadidja
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone

Amazing unique fantasy/paranormal story, The characters were great except *you know who, the two pure evil assholes* i Loved Mackenzie but i hated to her attitude toward her mother, i really did. her mom is going through a rough time, everyone is after Ben's death and Mackenzie was just acting strange and sensless! i kind of understood and sympthasied because i lost someone 5 years ago and let
Nina (Every Word A Doorway)
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
My love for Victoria Schwab's books – and Wesley Ayers – knows no boundaries. This was so good. Now, excuse me while I go do my happy dance because this was my first 4-star read this year, the short stories not included (which is sad, but glass half full, am I right?).

Though published prior to her bestselling Darker Shade of Magic series, I picked up The Archived a lot later. It stands in the shadow of Schwab's more popular releases, and though it is far less hyped, The Archived has no reason t
may ❀

Buddy read #1 with my favourite yam ever, Yammy aka Pragya

This masterpiece has got to be my all-time favourite Victoria Schwab book. *_*

description

It’s mystic, it’s creepy, it’s daunting, it’s absolutely brilliant!!

The Archived delves into the unknown world. Mackenzie Bishop has been a Keep for four years, stopping unfortunate Histories when the awake and guiding them back into the Archive. But her job is a secret, one that she must hide from the ones she loves with constant lies.

When Mackenzie’s
read in other lands by sarah rees brennan read in other lands by sarah rees brennan
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to read in other lands by sarah rees brennan by: Izzy
It’s confusing, it’s heartstopping. And it’s so unbelieveably Schwab, if you know what I mean.

We are nothing but recorded moments.

There’s a reason I’m head over heels in love with her. The closest any author has come to this feeling Maggie Stiefvater, and while I’m more than happy to sell my firstborn for her, she just doesn’t have the magic Victoria Schwab does.

What if echoes through my head as I hunt.
What if haunts me through the Narrows.
What if follows me home.

You read any review for th
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
3.5*
I just didn't love it. I had been so super excited for this book when I first heard about it and I built up this idea in my head of what it was going to be and it just wasn't anything like that. I think had I have had lower expectations and no previous knowledge of the synopsis, I really would've liked this, but that just wasn't the case.
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
Buddy read with the wonderful Chelsea

" What if I mess up? "
" Oh, you will. You’ll mess up, you’ll make mistakes, you’ll break things. Some you’ll be able to piece together, and others you’ll lose. That’s all a given. But there’s only one thing you have to do for me. "
" What’s that? "
" Stay alive enough to mess up again. "

See, I don't know if that's because :

a) I actually read a lot of slow-paced-kill-me-now books when I was in college - like this one, the riveting story of a man who decides
Irene△⃒⃘
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
3.75/5

“Everything is valuable, in its own way. Everything is full of history.”

This was a very interesting read.
The plot and story is kinda easy to follow (except for some parts toward the end) and at the same time it intrigued me a lot.

I immediately liked that our girl, Mac had to restart her life after moving to a new place, the Coronado, following the death of her brother, Ben.
I have a thing with that concept and I always find very interesting reading and seeing how people live when everyth
Kells Next Read
"Knowledge is power, but ignorance can be a blessing."

I'll be honest this started off a bit slow for me and I got a bit of trouble getting into it....but once I reached about half way through it picked up and I began to love this. Amazing concept and storyline with wonderful characters. I can't wait to move unto book two. Another great creation by Victoria Schwab.
grace
Sep 21, 2016 rated it liked it
3.75!
Merna
Actual rating: 2.5 stars

Imagine a place where the dead rest on shelves like books.Each body has a story to tell, a life seen in pictures that only Librarians can read. The dead are called Histories, and the vast realm in which they rest is the Archive.

Initial reaction when reading the blurb: Yeah, I sooo want to read this!

Reaction after finishing: meh...

Blurbs are one of the utmost misleading information to be given to a reader. Reading a blurb and thinking it sounds decent is like watchin
Poonam

This is my Book Of the Month- January 2017, with GR group- Nothing But Reading Challenges- Category: Young Adult BOM.

The concept of this book is splendid-- The dead are called Histories, and the vast realm in which they rest is the Archive. Imagine, every live ever lived, all the memories in a library, secured!
"The Outer, which you don't waste much breath on because it's everything around us, the normal world, the only one most people ever know about. The Narrows, a nightmarish place,
Nanna
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
What an interesting good read!

This world that Victoria has created blew me away! WHERE DOES SHE COME UP WITH THESE IDEAS! She's such a great writer.

It was so confusing at first but after a while I got it. But I think the only reason why it was confusing was because the world was so different from most books I've read.

Basically, there's Keepers, Crews, & Librarians! They all work with the Archived which is where the dead go to rest—they become Histories. The Archived, in my head is like a H
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Oct 20, 2017 marked it as tbr-faves
Shelves: at-the-library
my library!! has these!!
Giovanna
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Edit: spent my free hour before I had to start studying rereading...instead of finishing the book I'm reading. No regrets. Reread N.3. I sense a 4th coming sooooon.

“You're trying to block out every bit of noise. But people are made of noise, Mac. The world is full of noise. And finding quiet isn't about pushing everything out. It's just about pulling yourself in.”

This is one of my favorite books ever and I can't believe we might not get a third book in this amazing series because it's struggling
Phrynne
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Victoria Schwab has such a brilliant imagination.I am loving all her books including the ones she writes as V.E. Schwab In this book we have a library of the dead, literally. Dead bodies storing all their memories and experiences forever. Of course there have to be Librarians to organise the archives and Keepers whose job it is to retrieve the occasional body which happens to "wake up". The story is fun and well paced and the characters are all well written and interesting. I thoroughly enjoyed ...more
Fatima
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Victoria Schwab is an incredibly talented author, and I don't think there will ever be a single work of hers that doesn't blow me away. I loved this novel. It took me a little longer than anticipated for me to really get into it, but once I fully grasped what was happening, I was completely sucked in. I'm not a fan of being kept in the dark and not knowing what's happening because I'm an (extremely) impatient person, but the mystery of this story was so well written and it was so intriguing, tha ...more
  • Some Quiet Place (The Other Plane, #1)
  • Under the Light (Light, #2)
  • Spirit and Dust (Goodnight Family #2)
  • Dualed (Dualed, #1)
  • One (One Universe, #1)
  • Broken (Broken, #1)
  • City of a Thousand Dolls (Bhinian Empire, #1)
  • The Hallowed Ones (The Hallowed Ones, #1)
  • Charm & Strange
  • Linked (Linked #1)
  • Transparent (Transparent, #1)
  • The Dead and Buried
  • Strands of Bronze and Gold
  • Asunder (Newsoul, #2)
  • 17 & Gone
  • MILA 2.0 (MILA 2.0, #1)
  • Arclight (Arclight, #1)
  • Level 2 (The Memory Chronicles, #1)
Victoria is the product of a British mother, a Beverly Hills father, and a southern upbringing. Because of this, she has been known to say "tom-ah-toes," "like," and "y'all."

She also tells stories.

She loves fairy tales, and folklore, and stories that make her wonder if the world is really as it seems.
More about Victoria Schwab

The Archived (3 books)
  • The Unbound (The Archived, #2)
  • The Returned (The Archived, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Black Thorn, White Rose
  • Otherkin
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
“What if I mess up?"

"Oh, you will. You'll mess up, you'll make mistakes, you'll break things. Some you'll be able to piece together, and others you'll lose. That's all a given. But there's only one thing you have to do for me."

"What's that?"

"Stay alive long enough to mess up again.”
303 likes
“Lying is easy. But it's lonely."
"What do you mean?"
"When you lie to everyone about everything, what's left? What's true?"
"Nothing," I say.