Start by marking “The Archived (The Archived, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Archived (The Archived, #1)

The Archived (The Archived #1)

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  14,598 Ratings  ·  2,799 Reviews
Imagine a place where the dead rest on shelves like books.

Each body has a story to tell, a life seen in pictures only Librarians can read. The dead are called Histories, and the vast realm in which they rest is the Archive.

Da first brought Mackenzie Bishop here four years ago, when she was twelve years old, frightened but determined to prove herself. Now Da is dead, and Ma
Published January 22nd 2013 by Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about The Archived, please sign up.

Razan yes there's little romance in it, but it's not the main focus
Emily D Yes, this is YA, the protagonist is sixteen, and YA is typically marketed to ages 12-19. However, just because a book is targeted to a certain age…moreYes, this is YA, the protagonist is sixteen, and YA is typically marketed to ages 12-19. However, just because a book is targeted to a certain age range it doesn't mean an older person can't read it - a good story is a good story. It doesn't use a lot of the typical YA tropes, so I'm pretty sure an older person could enjoy. For younger kids, there isn't any sexual content or explicit language, but there is violence and darker themes.(less)
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Elite by Kiera Cass
YA Novels of 2013
47th out of 1,520 books — 10,843 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareLover at Last by J.R. WardRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
76th out of 2,461 books — 12,430 voters

More lists with this book...

Wendy Darling
I have to admit, it wasn't until the second half of the book that The Archived really started clicking together for me. I've heard that some people who read the extended preview online were unsure if they wanted to continue, and I can see why--but something about the writing was really appealing to me and I ended up having a great experience with it.

Here's what I liked about the book:

* Dead people who are kept on shelves like books? Sign me on! Awesome premise.
* I loved the eerie, something's-n
Raeleen Lemay
Feb 08, 2015 Raeleen Lemay rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
*2.5*

HEAR ME OUT.

I really loved the intricate world that Victoria Schwab created, and her writing was great as usual. However. The plot fell so flat for me, and I couldn't bring myself to care about anything that was happening. One redeeming factor aside from the world building was WESLEY. I really loved him as a character and it made me sad that he wasn't a bigger part of the story.

I don't think I'll be continuing on with this series (trilogy? duology? who knows.), but I will definitely be chec
Lola  Reviewer
Dec 20, 2014 Lola Reviewer rated it liked it
Recommended to Lola by: Liz
description

Thinking back, I don’t remember ever reading something quite like this story before. It was very creative and imaginative, I have to say. The concept refreshing and interesting to read about. Although, there were many things that didn’t work for me as well as they did for multiple other book lovers who read this mysterious looking book.

For being mysterious, that it sure was, especially at the beginning. I was eager to learn everything about the main character’s ability and the world-building,
Victoria Schwab
Jan 30, 2012 Victoria Schwab added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Two years in my brain and more than a year putting it on the page properly. I can't wait to be able to share it.
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Feb 05, 2015 Jesse (JesseTheReader) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book was AMAZING. Everybody needs this book in their life. Do yourself a favor and pick this up ASAP.
Regan
Mar 21, 2014 Regan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-owned-read
Victoria Schwab crafts another beautiful and unique story.

Plus, guyliner.
Steph Sinclair
Actual rating: 4.5

I truly underestimated this book. You know how when you first read a book's blurb and it totally catches your attention as something different and unique? You know that feeling right afterwards that can only be described nothing short of "Gimme Syndrome"? Yeah, that's how I felt with The Archived. But for whatever reason, I got distracted and started picking up other books (you know how it is). Well, one day I was frolicking through my bookshelf, re-read the blurb and engaged t
Kat O'Keeffe
Mar 06, 2013 Kat O'Keeffe rated it it was amazing
Amazing story, beautifully written, and all around fantastic characters! AN EXCELLENT READ!
Yasmin (Book Unicorn)
Dec 08, 2015 Yasmin (Book Unicorn) rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
description

Rating: 4.5/5 stars

Victoria Schwab is a magical goddess (unicorn).

Since the blurb for The Archived is a worthless piece of shit (it literally makes no sense to me) I'll write my own worthless piece of shit synopsis. *winks*

So basically, when a person dies, their body is created into a History, which is like a ghost carrying memories. The Histories stay in a place called the Archive.

Mackenzie Bishop is a keeper, who was trained by her grandfather, Da. Keeper's make sure that the Histories (which
Kelly
Nov 18, 2015 Kelly rated it really liked it
"Knowledge is power, but ignorance can be a blessing."

I'll be honest this started off a bit slow for me and I got a bit of trouble getting into it....but once I reached about half way through it picked up and I began to love this. Amazing concept and storyline with wonderful characters. I can't wait to move unto book two. Another great creation by Victoria Schwab.
Hailey (HailsHeartsNyc)
3.5*
I just didn't love it. I had been so super excited for this book when I first heard about it and I built up this idea in my head of what it was going to be and it just wasn't anything like that. I think had I have had lower expectations and no previous knowledge of the synopsis, I really would've liked this, but that just wasn't the case.
Merna
Actual rating: 2.5 stars

Imagine a place where the dead rest on shelves like books.Each body has a story to tell, a life seen in pictures that only Librarians can read. The dead are called Histories, and the vast realm in which they rest is the Archive.

Initial reaction when reading the blurb: Yeah, I sooo want to read this!

Reaction after finishing: meh...

Blurbs are one of the utmost misleading information to be given to a reader. Reading a blurb and thinking it sounds decent is like watchin
Nanna
Feb 24, 2016 Nanna rated it really liked it
What an interesting good read!

This world that Victoria has created blew me away! WHERE DOES SHE COME UP WITH THESE IDEAS! She's such a great writer.

It was so confusing at first but after a while I got it. But I think the only reason why it was confusing was because the world was so different from most books I've read.

Basically, there's Keepers, Crews, & Librarians! They all work with the Archived which is where the dead go to rest—they become Histories. The Archived, in my head is like a H
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE)
Buddy read with the wonderful Chelsea

" What if I mess up? "
" Oh, you will. You’ll mess up, you’ll make mistakes, you’ll break things. Some you’ll be able to piece together, and others you’ll lose. That’s all a given. But there’s only one thing you have to do for me. "
" What’s that? "
" Stay alive enough to mess up again. "

See, I don't know if that's because :

a) I actually read a lot of slow-paced-kill-me-now books when I was in college - like this one, the riveting story of a man who decides to
Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)
Mackenzie isn't your average teenage girl, she's a Keeper. Her job is to keep the Histories from the Outer and returning them back The Archived. When her family moves to an old hotel where she knows a murder takes place, she starts to unravel the corruption that is deeply ingrained in the Archived. Who can she trust? Who is the mysterious new boy? Is he a friend or foe? Will she find out who is responsible for the Histories getting out?

Slow start to the whole story-line since we're getting used
Phrynne
Nov 05, 2015 Phrynne rated it it was amazing
Victoria Schwab has such a brilliant imagination.I am loving all her books including the ones she writes as V.E. Schwab In this book we have a library of the dead, literally. Dead bodies storing all their memories and experiences forever. Of course there have to be Librarians to organise the archives and Keepers whose job it is to retrieve the occasional body which happens to "wake up". The story is fun and well paced and the characters are all well written and interesting. I thoroughly enjoyed ...more
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Jan 11, 2016 Korrina (OwlCrate) rated it it was amazing
Victoria just gets me. She writes the kinds of books I desperately need in my life. Books with such unique plots and world-building. Books with characters that I attach myself to with my entire heart. Books that keep me up way past my bedtime because I just can't stop reading. I wish people discussed these earlier books of hers more, because this was brilliant. I can't wait to read book two. Definitely one of my favourite authors.
Pinky
Dec 26, 2015 Pinky rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh, this book was amazing. Where have I been? WHY DIDN'T I PICK THIS BOOK UP SOONER! IT'S SO GOOD I NEED THE WHOLE WORLD TO READ THIS BOOK! When I started reading this book, I got sucked into this beautifully unique world. I feel like I have been missing out on so many books. I watch Jessethereader's videos and this was one of the books that he hyped about. After reading this book, I realized why he loved this book so much.

My conversation with the Archived (physical book):

“Lying is ea
Irmak
May 01, 2016 Irmak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bu kitapla ilgili çok fazla yorum görmesem de gördüğüm kadarıyla ya sevilmiş ya sevilmemiş, arası yok. Ve bende seven taraftayım. Kitapta yaratılan dünya inanılmaz hoşuma gitti. Çok orijinal bir konusu vardı. Ölülerin raflardaki kitaplar gibi durduğu bir yer ? Kesinlikle çok özgündü.
Kitabın çevirisi su gibi akıp gidiyordu zaten konu da güzel olunca bırakmak istemedim elimden. Devam kitapları çıksa da o dünyaya tekrar dalsam diye sabırsızlanıyorum.
Sh3lly ✨ Bring on the Weird ✨
Me starting this book:

Me at 21%:

DNF.

I loved Vicious, loved loved it. So I was excited about this, but it is just SO boring. The writing is fine, but nothing happens. Great premise, but a snoozefest. :(
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ (of BADGER and Snake)
Shamazing buddy read with two of my favorite lovelies, Anna and Elena. *Muah*

*********************************************************************

Knowledge is power, but ignorance can be a blessing.

This book...this book took me by surprise. If not for how much the idea of a place where the dead are cataloged and their memories forever embedded in their very being (I think that's the best way to describe it), then for how much I loved and adored these abilities.

A death is traumatic. Vivid enou
Pixie
**Please go to my blog The Bookaholic to see my full review.**

Today, I have a most wonderful book to talk about. I’ve been trying to hold off a little while on my review since I had finished it a few weeks ago, but I figured it’d be okay to post it now.

Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff is perhaps one of my favorite books of the 2012 releases. But it’s not going to be a tough one to answer next year when asked about favorites of 2013. Hands down, The Archived by Victoria Schwab is one of the best read
Kassidy
Mar 23, 2014 Kassidy rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
*4.5*
Okay so I really really loved this one!!

That atmosphere is amazing. It's so creepy and haunting. I just had a weird, almost magical, feeling the whole time I was reading this book! Most of it is set in this old hotel that was turned into apartments, and it holds so many secrets. I loved figuring out all of the secrets and mysteries along with the main character, Mackenzie.

I really enjoyed Mackenzie's character. She has so much to deal with in her life, and I like how she does make some mis
Siiri (Little Pieces of Imagination)
More than a year after Sil, Katie and Sue ordered me to read this I finally did! What a great ride this was. I didn't think it would be that creepy, but this extremely atmospheric book made for an eerie read that I thoroughly enjoyed (even if I was a little scared at some points, hah).

The story was well-paced, in my opinion. I know a lot of people say that it's slow and perhaps difficult, but it wasn't the case at all for me! I like the combination of mystery, creating the atmosphere, world-bui
Liz
Nov 28, 2014 Liz rated it really liked it
Shelves: great-read

I wish I knew how to review this one to do the book justice.
I wish, and yes I am aware how morbid that sounds, I could wander in the Archive and its utter peace and quiet and trace the names of those long gone with my fingers and take a look at their stories.
(view spoiler)

Imagine a library where you can read bodies and people's Histories instead of books. Where mysterious Librarians catalogue every History they have and guard
Leah
Feb 24, 2015 Leah rated it really liked it
One of these days I’ll get around to really sitting down and planning out how I want my reviews to look and read. I really should make them consistent, but it’s not happening yet.

THE ARCHIVED is the second book by Victoria Schwab/VE Schwab that I’ve read, and she’s definitely becoming an author whose work I’ll be on the lookout for in the future. The plot of this story seemed so freaking original and creative to me. I really don’t think I’ve read anything like it. The idea that the dead are line
Jacquelyn
Oct 04, 2015 Jacquelyn rated it really liked it
Actual Rating: 4.5 stars

WOW. I wasn't thinking that I was going to like this one as much as I did! I thought the plot was awesome and I loved Wes. I can't wait to read book 2, which will be happening real soon.
Mitch
Feb 07, 2013 Mitch rated it liked it
The Archived is a book I would read for the writing, but for me at least there’s just something missing to the story that didn’t leave me particularly satisfied. It wasn’t until almost the end that I really understood how the variously storylines connected together and what the ultimate point of the book is, but even now, my reaction to the whole thing is more underwhelmed acceptance than anything else because I just don’t have any strong feelings toward anything I’ve read. I guess for a book th ...more
Hassan
Aug 06, 2015 Hassan rated it really liked it
"the fact is, they were people, copies of people, because the only way to truly record a person is not in words, not in still frames, but in bone and skin and memory."

this book assured Victoria Schwab's spot on my favorite authors list

ever since i read vicious by Victoria Schwab, i've wanted to read more books by her, cause obviously it was amazing, it became an instant top 5 book, but i was intimidated to read more of her books cause i was afraid not to like them, but apparently that's the op
Kai
Mar 11, 2016 Kai rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
This was an amazing!
I loved the beginning, the language, the setting and the whole concept. Victoria Schwab can do some real magic with words, which is why I loved this book even more. She is one of the most talented new voices in fantasy literature and I am baffled and stunned by her writing. The Archived is such beautiful work of words. I can't get more.

I also love mysteries, but the sad truth is that once solved they are less interesting and, well...less mysterious. I often find that I expec
  • Starglass (Starglass, #1)
  • Broken (Broken, #1)
  • Sorrow's Knot
  • The Gathering Dark
  • The Cadet of Tildor
  • Dualed (Dualed, #1)
  • Paper Valentine
  • Teeth
  • Antigoddess (Goddess War, #1)
  • City of a Thousand Dolls (Bhinian Empire, #1)
  • The Liberator (Dante Walker, #2)
  • Let the Sky Fall
  • Level 2 (The Memory Chronicles, #1)
  • Ashes on the Waves
  • Born of Illusion (Born of Illusion, #1)
  • 17 & Gone
  • Quicksilver (Ultraviolet, #2)
  • The Nightmare Affair (The Arkwell Academy, #1)
Victoria is the product of a British mother, a Beverly Hills father, and a southern upbringing. Because of this, she has been known to say "tom-ah-toes," "like," and "y'all."

She also tells stories.

She loves fairy tales, and folklore, and stories that make her wonder if the world is really as it seems.
More about Victoria Schwab...

The Archived (3 books)
  • The Unbound (The Archived, #2)
  • The Returned (The Archived, #3)

“What if I mess up?"

"Oh, you will. You'll mess up, you'll make mistakes, you'll break things. Some you'll be able to piece together, and others you'll lose. That's all a given. But there's only one thing you have to do for me."

"What's that?"

"Stay alive long enough to mess up again.”
215 likes
“Lying is easy. But it's lonely."
"What do you mean?"
"When you lie to everyone about everything, what's left? What's true?"
"Nothing," I say.