Start by marking “Letters from War” as Want to Read:
Letters from War

Letters from War

Platinum-selling Christian music artist Mark Schultz pens a novella based on his award-winning song Letters from War, about a mothers unwavering hope, courage, and steadfast prayers.Every night, Natalie leaves the front porch light on. Just in case. Its been two years since her son, James, went missing while saving the life of a fellow paratrooper in his division. Natalies ...more
Published September 6th 2011 by Howard Books

To ask other readers questions about Letters from War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Letters from War

Start your review of Letters from War
Nora St Laurent
Sep 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Im thankful to have received a review copy of such a moving and tender novel. Beths son, James, goes off to serve his country just like his father did. The only thing James mom requested of him was that he writes her real letters, not emails. Beth says, Emails can easily be lost. All with an errant click of a mouse or a press of a button.... but to discard a letter, you have to physically throw it away, something shes been unable to do ever since getting the first letter. Words are different. ...more
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
The soldier wrestles to write words he knows will be his last. He searches his heart, trying to find what he wants to say. After so many letters, this one needs to count. This one needs to last. There is no one definitive sentence or theme he needs to write. Yet he wants his family to know that he will always be there, that he will always love them. Just because he is gone doesn't mean he has left them. There is so much he wants to say. Things to share. About the places he's seen, the journey ...more
Tara
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
This is a hard review to write simply because of the topic of this book. I just want it to be known that I admire the men and women who serve our country; I admire their families and appreciate the many sacrifices made on my behalf. With that being said, this book was very difficult to get through. I found myself skipping over pages because I just couldn't get into it. I am unable to put my finger on exactly what was lacking in this book for me. The relationship dynamics just didn't jive with ...more
Sep 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
James is a young soldier, missing in action in Afghanistan. Britt is his wife, missing him being away from home. Natalie is his mother, who cannot and will not give up on the idea that he will be found alive. She even continues to write letters to him daily, hoping they will catch up with him eventually. The letters in this story are from James to his mother and to his wife, and from his mother to him. They are all tender and touching. This book gives an inside look at what women go through when ...more
Anna
Dec 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
In reading this book it made me realize the many freedoms I take for granted. How many days pass in which no thought or concern is given to the brave men and women that are serving our country and prtecting our freedoms. How many days pass with no thought of the families they leave behind. I have a better understanding of the friends I have who have had sons who have done tours of duty in Iraq and Afghanistan. I hope I will find ways to show a greater support. Letters to War is also a book about ...more
Lyndsay
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Can't imagine what this Mom (and wife and sister) are going through. This has got to be one the toughest choices.... to lose Hope, or keep Believing. You THINK you would be keep believing, but to what extent?
Maggie Mae
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite chapter books and I truly only read it because of the song he sang with the same title. It tells the same story but obviously a trimmed down version. It is the story of a mother who hold's out hope for her son who went to war and the experience she went through during the time he was gone. It was an amazing story and truly amazing because it is similar to what many most likely experienced. I'd recommend this to middle school level students.
Carmen
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Christian Republicans
Kelli Forbes
Jan 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
I am a fan of Thrasher's books and this one did not disappoint. Although I am not familiar with the song the book is based on, I really enjoyed this book - I love the back and forth of the letters in among the compelling story. Page 258 had me crying (darn you, Travis Thrasher!). A story of hope and faith and believing.
Wendy Spencer
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Open book. Start reading. Cry. Stop reading. Close book. Stop crying. This is such a tear jerker, just like his songs. It was torturous on my tear ducts. But I finished it, rolled over in bed, cried myself to sleep. Yay!
Ashley Fuhr
Jun 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
A quick but powerful read, appropriate for patriots of all ages. I was also surprised at how well Mark Schultz transition from song writer to author. I recommend to anyone, especially around the 4th of July!
Shannon
Oct 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Mark Schultz did a wonderful job of portraying a mother whose faith overcame all. A very religious book, but I enjoyed it non-the-less. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves a good love story.
Sonya
Jan 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
a lot of invoking of god and faith and praying here, to bring a son back from war overseas. based on a song? letters are interesting to read, but overall, just an ok read. also there's a lot of god, if i didn't already mention that. LOTS of god.
Glenette
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have never cried as much as I did reading this book! Not because I didn't like it. I loved this book. I have a son in the Army. He has served a tour in both Iraq and Afghanistan. Although the circumstances are the same, I could still relate to what Beth felt and was going through.
Shannon
Nov 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Just really incredible!
Julie
Jan 30, 2013 rated it liked it
DEPRESSING
Brittany Chesnut
Apr 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
I am going to start with the fact that I bawled in the last 2 chapters. I found it heart warming and true to the love a parent would have to a child.
Anna
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent heart warming book! Definitely a tear jerker, so be prepared. A good representation and tribute to our military and their families at home.
Kyla Gergely
Feb 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
So amazing! I feel like I am in the family's shoes feeling and living with my family member gone. The tears, the smiles, and all the love and pride in this book. I absolutly love it all!
Deanna
Feb 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-read
Such a powerful book, on Faith, Family, Service, and the fierce love of a solider's mother.
Rachael
Mar 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a book that I found close to my heart being a military wife.....I have written the letters and waited for one to return! I enjoyed this quick read.
Sonia Trotter
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This one is a keeper!!!
Drew
Dec 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
This book was beyond words amazing!I loved this book and would read more like it in heart beat!
Jean
Jan 31, 2017 rated it did not like it
I tried to listen to the audiobook. Boring!
Janna
Nov 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Written from the perspective of a mother whose son is MIA in Afghanistan. Includes letters that the family writes back and forth.

Similar to Richard Paul Evans
Alexis
Oct 10, 2014 added it
It made you want to keep reading.
Hueytyng
Jan 20, 2012 rated it did not like it
The idea for this book was compelling, but I think it was dragged out without any real suspense or character development. I skimmed the second half of the book just to see what happened. Eh.
Danielle Comparette
Sep 27, 2011 rated it liked it
I love the song that this book is based on. It was interesting to read the novel and compare the two.
Cindy
Mar 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a fast read. It is story about a mother & son who write letters while he is in Afghanistan. James is missing and Beth the mother fears him dead but she keeps writting letters to him.
Valerie Pearson
Even tho this was an inspirational book, it managed to be one of the most depressing books I've read in a long time

• Shelter in a Soldier's Arms
  • Home Run
  • Cleopatra Confesses
  • Harvesting the Heart
  • Gandhi: An autobiography
  • Will You Remember Me? (No Greater Love #6)
  • Gandhi and Bhagat Singh
  • Why I Am An Atheist: An Autobiographical Discourse
  • Karna's Wife: The Outcast's Queen
  • ആരാച്ചാര്‍ [Aarachar]
  • Why I Assassinated Mahatma Gandhi
  • Sita's Sister
  • Secretly Smitten (Smitten, #2)
  • Run Away With Me (Come Back to Me, #3)
Mark Schultz is a comic book artist. He has been awarded five Harvey Awards, two Eisner Awards, an Inkpot Award, a Spectrum Award, and three Haxtur Awards.

News & Interviews