Start by marking “For One More Day” as Want to Read:

4.10  ·  Rating details ·  120,488 ratings  ·  7,663 reviews
"Every family is a ghost story..."

Mitch Albom mesmerized readers around the world with his number one New York Times bestsellers, The Five People You Meet in Heaven and Tuesdays with Morrie. Now he returns with a beautiful, haunting novel about the family we love and the chances we miss.

For One More Day is the story of a mother and a son, and a relationship that covers a
Published September 26th 2006 by Hachette Books

·  120,488 ratings  ·  7,663 reviews

Start your review of For One More Day
Estee
Jan 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
You may believe it or not, but after I read this book, I love both my parent more and more. I try to be a better daughter for them, and I try to understand and appreciate every little thing they've done for me. By reading this book, you will see your parent, especially your mother, as a person who has the purest love ever, and trying to give them back the same...
Heba
Oct 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
What a beautiful book. It shows you how every mother in Earth will do just to make her family happy and safe! I cried while reading it.. It shows you the real love the purest love you will ever know. Love without any limitation!

what an outstanding book.. Worth to read it and read it again and again!

Mitch Albom I wish you don't stop writing.
Rajat Ubhaykar
Aug 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Today is a momentous day. It's my mom's birthday! Through an utter coincidence, I happened to take this book up for reading a day before my mother's birthday, temporarily oblivious to the occasion. Oh, how I love such coincidences! They are little life affirming miracles, dismissed by reason as coincidences, for what were the chances of my walking into a friend's room in a different hostel on a hot afternoon on an impulse and ending up finishing this book, unaware of the relevance of the next ...more
Wulan
Oct 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was on a plane from London to Indonesia via Hongkong, and I cried like a baby all the way. I swear, if the people that sat on my left and right hadnt been my friends, I would've been considered a crazy girl weeping for no reason.

Reading this book made me realize how much I've taken my mum for granted. It opened my eyes and showed me how big and everlasting a mother's love can be, despite all the things that's been done to her.

Mummy, I LOVE YOU!!!!
Matt
Mar 14, 2009 rated it did not like it
For One More Day, like all of Mitch Albom's books, attempts to be an exercise in feel-good warm fuzzies. This overly-verbose mortality tale, however, is not particularly inspiring, uplifting, or even interesting.

When the main character tries to commit suicide, he gets to spend the titular "one more day" with his deceased mother. During the visit, he reminisces about his life growing up in a broken home, the mistakes he made, and how we would do it differently if he could. Interspersed are
Swetha Amit
Jul 15, 2007 rated it really liked it
There are many in this world who would do anything to get just that one chance to make amends for their past misgivings. Yet very few get this golden opportunity while the majority is saddled with that nostalgic remorse and regret.

Mitch Alboms new edition titled For one more day takes one through a wistful journey which encounters a strange and enigmatic tryst with the ghost of the past. The story unfolds the main character Charley Benetto (Chick) whose life is in ruins. Being unwanted at his
Nat
Oct 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
A Mother's Love: For One More Day by Mitch Albom
For One More Day

I was (unknowingly) seeking a book that dives into the powerful and complicated mother-son dynamic when my eyes landed on Mitch Albom's  For One More Day sitting idly on the library shelves. Something about the blurb featuring the quote "Every family is a ghost story..." captivated me.

For One More Day  explores the story of a mother and a son and a relationship that covers a lifetime and beyond. It explores the question: What would you do if you
Charlotte May
It seems that for me Mitch Albom can do no wrong!
This is my fourth novel by him and I thought it was wonderful! Albom seems to have an incredible ability to take ordinary situations and the inevitable pain of life and make them magical.
For One More Day focuses on Charles (Chick) Bennetto, a middle aged man with a failing marriage, obscene amounts of debt and an inner grief he's never gotten over. He hits rock bottom when he is left uninvited to his only daughters wedding.
We watch as Chick
Aj the Ravenous Reader
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful and touching mother and son story that will make you reconsider how you treat your own mother.:)
Erin
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Buzzword A Thon: One

4.5 Stars

The only reason I didn't give For One More Day 5 stars is because its not The Five People You Meet In Heaven. That book is the book I rate all Mitch Albom novels by.

READ THAT BOOK!

Also read this one because its amazing!

If you had the chance to spend one more day with someone you lost, what would you do? What would you talk about?

Chick Benetto a down on his luck ex baseball player gets just that. On the night he decides to end his life his mom shows up to spend
Dean
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful tale of the power of love and to forgive others and oneself..
Mitch Albom has capture the spirit of what it means to live as flawed persons in an flawed and imperfect world..

Yes indeed, the decisions we make, counts..
The shadows which our decisions casts are very large and they use to be obstinate and to have a long-lived echo smoldering deep in the seams and joints of our vulnerable being..
They have more earnest implications then we are normally aware of!!!

Magical, dramatic, full of
Dale Harcombe
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sometimes as you read a book it makes you think not only about the characters in the story but about your own life. That was the case with this book by Mitch Albom. Havent you ever wished for one more day with someone you love who has died? A day when you could say all the things you wanted to say and could resolves any past hurts and regrets?
Charley Benetto is at rock bottom, having lost all that meant anything in his life. He decides life is not worth living. But then he gets the gift of one
Ammara Abid
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Before saying anything else let me say, this book is for everyone. For every age group. No matter how old you are, must read & recall your incidents, because we all have done such things with our mothers & every child can relate with it.
This is a story of every mother & every child.

This book literally gave me goosebumps.
Heart-breaking but beautiful. Truthful yet emotional.
Not any difficult phrase, not any lyrical lines but these simple, honest, amazingly written lines had such a
Ryan Barton
Jan 13, 2008 rated it it was ok
Eh. Not sure what the big deal is with this guy. This book was...OK. I cannot say that I liked it a great deal, nor can I say I detested it. The author is a good storyteller, has a good command of structure and the craft of writing, and does not strike me as being anything less than the consummate professional. Picasso was rumoured to have the ability to draw a "perfect circle" freehand; the resulting line is not necessarily a great work of art.

I suppose the nature of the material just was not
Anis Suhaila
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Confession: I actually DNF'ed Tuesdays with Morrie sometime last year. I thought it was pretentious, dull and lack narration.

So I wasn't exactly excited to read For One More Day, but someone gave it to me during last year's Secret Pumpkin. Thank you again!

I'm glad that this book was as enjoyable as it was. Even though it's like a Hallmark cut out story (I did catch a part of its telemovie on Hallmark a long time ago), but it's pure, simple and raw.

It doesn't attempt to do too much but gives
J
Jun 17, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Sentimentalists
Reading the back cover and realizing the backdrop is suicide, I was sorely disappointed by the lack of self-face stabbings.

Again, picking up this book, I thought to myself, suicide and Mitch Albom... how could I go wrong? But I was wrong (snicker) dead wrong.

From the beginning, Albom signifies his attachment to this book. He is telling this story from notes and interviews he may have had with the main character. Why is this important? Could the book have been equally effective without him
Jonathan K
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Mitch has a remarkable ability to touch, inspire and cause introspection with his stories. While Tuesdays with Morrie is my favorite the essence of this one hits home. Forgiving ourselves, making peace with where we are and above all else, being accountable for our decisions, we have the opportunity to live fully and impact the lives of others. Beautiful in its own right there is both sadness and joy with this book as with everyone Mitch writes.
Kay
Very touching book. Much of what the protagonist goes through is very close to my heart, and reading the last chapter made me teary. I'm not a parent, but I am a daughter, and reading this book has reminded me in a gentle and soothing way the sacrifices parents and caregivers make for their children.

Told in flashbacks and the chapters often around two to three pages long, the book was a quick read. Despite the content material, I didn't feel emotionally burdened by the end but instead a little
Suraya (thesuraya)
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-2015-books
"I also believed that parents, if they love you, will hold you up safely, above their swirling waters, and sometimes that means youll never know what they endured, and you may treat them unkindly, in a way you otherwise wouldnt"

This book discuss the topic on parents and children and family and it is as heartbreaking as it gets. I miss my parents :(((

/brb calling home/
Rose
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
What a beautiful story.

"But she wasn't around, and that's the thing when your parents die, you feel like instead of going into every fight with backup, you are going into every fight alone."

If this book doesn't make you want to hug your mom, then I honestly don't know what will.

Chick's story is so powerful because of how honestly it portrays a mother-child relationship. Most of us have felt anger, embarrassment, and disappointment because of our mothers, and while that's normal, we sometimes
Arif Zulkifli
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The feels...
All those feels...

T.T
Salymar
Nov 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A child can never choose between his/her mom and dad. In fact, a child can have both.
A child can never be complete without the love and care of his/her mother and the guidance of his/her father.

This is a one-of-a-kind novel that reminds us how precious the little time we all have and how more valuable time with our family is much more important. Cherish the moments before they're gone.

The story started with Chick Benetto's struggles with his wife and daughter about 8 years after his mother,
Soplada
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
A book must be the axe for the frozen sea within us. That is my belief. Franz Kafka

If the book we read should tune in our deepest emotions, shake them out and extricate them hardly then this this story was the win.

There's a story behind everything, and yes, a cause, I thought about reading this book in the earlier years but this time was chosen for me to do so. The reality of the story.. the sense of reality in any story and the way you feel while you are being melt and mold with the words and
Art the Turtle of Amazing Girth
Fast, easy read

Will definitely make you think harder about family members you might not see as much anymore and should.
Liyana
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Second chances are rare.
Regrets are awful.
Jenny
May 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
She put one hand on mine. When someone is in your heart, theyre never truly gone. They can come back to you, even at unlikely times.

I loved this book!
Bookish Devil
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I hate this book !!
I hate this book for how bitterly it made me cry :'(

Dear Mom, I might not have been the perfect son to you. I might've scolded you so many times for trivial reasons. I'm sorry for all my wrongdoings to you. Even though I say to myself that I love you so much, I never really quite act by it. I ignored you, I dint give you the attention you deserved, I don't think I gave back even 5% of what you've given to me all your life. But despite my ignorance, you never felt sad but
Ritika Chhabra
Follow Just A Girl High On Books for more reviews.

"What is it about childhood that never lets you go, even when you're so wrecked it's hard to believe you ever were a child?"

Before For One More Day, I had only read one book by Mitch Albom. It was Tuesdays with Morrie. Now I had read that book about seven years ago and I don't remember much about the story except the basic outline of it and about how much I loved it. That was (and is) one of my favourite books of all time. I knew then and there
Janie Johnson
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-challenge
I was not quite sure at first about this book since this was the first time Author for me. But it did not take long for the words to absorb into my mind. Made me start to rethink things that I have been struggling with.

I gotta say I was so disappointed in Charley as if I knew him. I could not understand how he could respect his Father, who ran out on him, so much more than his Mother, the one who saw to his well being, struggled and fought and worked hard so he would be taken care of, attend
Mago0
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing

I finished this book on my mother's 56th birthday, with a burst into tears,and I'm like running to her, hug her and told her that I love her. Charley's story are almost same like mine. Almost same. We had one great mom that their Principe is, what's the matter? I'm a mother. This is the books that made me wet the eyes in th train, this is the book that made me felt the purest love of mother. This is the book, that made me realize every times my mom stand up for me back then and I didn't do the
MJC 18S502: For One More Day 1 8 Mar 16, 2018 10:17AM
What is the theme of For One More Day? 3 32 Jun 17, 2015 11:09AM

• Mitch Albom's Tuesdays With Morrie
  • The Pact
  • A Distant Land
  • The Indigo Sky
  • Rainy Day Stories (Sunshine)
  • The Last Lecture
  • The Holy Worm of Praise: Poems
  • The Best of Everything (Merivale Mall, #2)
  • The First Phone Call From Heaven: by Mitch Albom -- Review
  • By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept
  • Psychology for Busy People
  • At First Sight (Jeremy Marsh & Lexie Darnell, #2)
  • The Immortal Heart - Hati Abadi
  • Why Men Don't Listen and Can Only Do One Thing at a Time
  • Heaven Is For Real Conversation Guide
  • The Alchemist
  • The Dixon Cornbelt League and Other Baseball Stories
  • Theory of People: Understanding Behaviors, Business, Economics, Feelings, and the Mind
Mitchell David Albom is an author, journalist, screenwriter, playwright, radio and television broadcaster and musician. His books have collectively sold over 35 million copies worldwide; have been published in forty-one territories and in forty-two languages around the world; and have been made into Emmy Award-winning and critically-acclaimed television movies.