Start by marking “The Abandoned (Graveyard Queen #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Abandoned (Graveyard Queen #0.5)

The Abandoned

(Graveyard Queen 0.5)

Every cemetery has a story. Every grave, its secrets. Enter the world of Amanda Stevens's Graveyard Queen series--where forbidden passion and secrets from the past are as restless as the ghosts--in the series prequel novella, The Abandoned.

There are rules for dealing with ghosts. Too bad Ree Hutchins doesn't know them.

When her favorite patient at a private mental hospital
Published April 1st 2011 by MIRA

To ask other readers questions about The Abandoned, please sign up.

Maria Clara
3.5

Sólo le doy estas estrellitas porque me he quedado con ganas de más. El relato está muy bien y consigue engancharte, perooo me han faltado páginas. Creo que la historia daba para mucho más.
Rane
Apr 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keeper, urban-fantasy

Ree Hutchins psychology student is trying to balance her life and that of her studies, when she loses one of her patient's to seeming old age. When she stumbles upon a deeper plot of blackmail and hauntings. With the help of ghost hunter Hayden Priest, they both discover a dark secret someone wants to be kept buried....

Thank you Ms.Stevens for scaring the crap out of me. I loved every bit of it!
The Abandoned gives you a taste of what's in store for the The Graveyard Queen series, with the sp
Olga
Jul 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Libro cortito que se lee muy bien , crea una atmósfera muy buena donde se van conociendo ( de refilón) los personajes centrales de la saga .... Me ha mantenido enganchando y he desea más de esta historia ... Mi único pero es que como es un relato corto , la trama va muy rápido y las situaciones se ven muy precipitadas ..
Inés Izal
Jun 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, grupo-lc
-3.5-

Un relato corto ideal para conocer y entrar al mundo de Amelia Gray.
Me ha encantado, aunque se nota mucho que es una introducción y que lo bueno está por llegar.
Mamen B.
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Pues sinceramente, esta historia corta me ha gustado más que El Profeta. Ha sido corta pero intensa, con su buena dosis de misterio, escenas inquietantes, y ese toque "romántico/oscuro" que Amanda Stevens maneja tan bien. Si habéis leído la saga y os ha gustado, sin dudar tenéis que leer esta mini joya.
Jen Davis
Jun 10, 2011 rated it liked it
I have some mixed feelings about this story. First, let me say that I loved The Restorer and I was very excited when I found out that this prequel was available. The events take place shortly before Amelia is hired to restore the old cemetery. But she isn't the main character here. This story centers on Ree, a graduate student who is interning at a psychiatric hospital. When an old patient named Violet dies, Ree is unexpectedly drawn in to the bizarre and haunting circumstances of her life and t ...more
Patry Fernandez
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
En realidad es un 4,5*

Reseña completa -> http://thewordsofbooks.blogspot.com.e...
Dark Faerie Tales
Review Courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A story reflecting the consequences of opening yourself up to ghosts.

Opening Sentence: Ree Hutchins was dozing at the old woman’s bedside, a dog-eared copy of The Call of the Wild open on her lap, when Violet Tisdale passed away.

The Review:

In the past, I have been very harsh with novellas claiming to be prequel’s when the truth of that statement is in question. Yes, The Abandoned, is a prequel. It does introduce major characters in the main
Kira
Sophia
I read book one and never realized there was a tantalizing prequel to the series that acted as a teaser to get folks enthused for the series. Happily, I discovered my library carried a copy when I was looking to see if they had book two. A little detour for the prequel and I am ever so glad I did.

Review:

The Abandoned introduces Ree and Hayden who meet when Ree finds herself investigating the odd circumstances of Violet Tisdale's mysterious life and death. She was in a private psych hospital and
Nancy
Nov 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Let us just say that it is a good thing I had read book number two - or is it book number one if you do not count the prequel, I always get confused when authors do this - or I would have never continued with this series.

The Abandoned comes across more of an outline for a book then an actually novel, with no real catch or lure.

Ree Hutchins is a graduate student working in a psychiatric hospital on the evening of the death of Violet Tisdal, one of their longest residing patients. Ree is curious
Stephanie
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh lord!!!!!! Amanda Stevens eres lo maximo!!! Es que amo todas sus historias, su forma de escribir es perfecta, la manera en q describe los sucesos, el ambiente, los personajes que son tan completos en fin todo es increible!! Logra atraparte desde el primer momento y no creo q pueda encontrar una serie de este genero que sea tan buena y tan completa!! Excelenteeeee!!!!!!
Jason
Nov 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books, read-2016
3.5 Stars

The Abandoned is a decent prequel novella that sets up the Graveyard Queen series. I figured I would start with this one more to get a feel of Stevens writing style than the expansion of the series. I don't want a heavy Gothic romance series.

This was a decent story that worked okay in a novella format. I will start book one now.
SheLove2Read
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
I didn't get much out of this, certainly not enough to make me want to continue the series. It felt more like a draft that an actual story.
willaful
May 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
Unpolished, unsubtle writing with meh action sequences. Not sure I will want to continue the series.

The Kindle edition has a lot of formatting errors and seems to be missing a few paragraphs.
Ivy
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sehr gelungene Prequel-Kurzgeschichte.

Die kurze Geschichte beginnt interessant, man ist gleich mittendrin im Rätsel.
Es sind nicht unbedingt alle Details ausgearbeitet aber für die Kürze der Novelle passiert recht viel und der Plot ist vielseitig.
Nervenheilanstalt, Geister und der verlassene Friedhof sorgen für die übernatürlich geheimnisvolle Stimmung.

Macht auf jeden Fall neugierig auf Serie.
Keri
Feb 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a free prequel to the Queen of the Graveyard series. Amelia Gray is a graveyard restorer who just happens to have the handy ability to see dead people. However, the prequel is about Ree and a conversation that she shouldn't have overheard about a lady that Ree just watched die. Now Ree is stuck between a mad ghost and a demented killer. Luckily she meets Hayden, who by day is a lawyer and by night he is a "ghost hunter". Even though this is a short story, I thought that Ms Stevens did a ...more
Pamela(AllHoney)
A prequel to the Graveyard Queen series by Amanda Stevens. It was interesting for what it what. Because it was short there wasn't much time spent developing the characters or the romance. Basically, it just laid some ground work for the upcoming series.
Samantha
Jul 31, 2012 rated it liked it
I felt as the author gave me a piece of the puzzle but I don't know what the picture is suppose to be. I like the story but I have a few questions. I can't wait to read the next book in the series. This author has a way of sucking me into her stories.
Natalia815
85 páginas muy intensas. Le da tiempo a empezar lento, ponerse muy interesante y terminar el relato con demasiadas prisas.

Me encanta esta saga. Estoy deseando que salga el 4º.
Chiara Ropolo
Questo è il prequel di una serie che sono curiosa di leggere ma anche una sorta di spin-off in quanto la protagonista della serie, Amelia Grey, compare come personaggio secondario.
Devo dire che se non mi avessero parlato così tanto bene della saga mi sarebbe passata la voglia di cominciarla perché questo racconto non ha stuzzicato la mia curiosità. Fantasmi, paranormale tutto gestito bene ma in maniera per me fredda, non sono riuscita ad appassionarmi.
Un racconto che fa entrare nella giusta atmo
Rachel- Goodbye Borders
Dec 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
I decided to finally start this book because I have the first 3 book in this series to read (and they will probably fit for Bingo). Oh my, this was good! I started and couldn't put it down!
Ree is a psychology student who overhears something she shouldn't. A ghost also attaches herself to her. A ghost hunter, Hayden, helps her. Amelia is introduced.
I am intrigued!
Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: Available Now!
Publisher: Harlequin
Imprint: Mira
Author’s Website: http://www.amandastevens.com/
My Source for This Book: Amazon.com (free as of April 12, 2011)
Part of a Series: Yes. Book 0.5 in the Graveyard Queen Series (Prequel to the forthcoming novel, The Restorer)
Steam Level: Warm

So a short while ago, you may remember me fangirling all over Amanda Stevens’ forthcoming novel, The Restorer, sche
Laura the Highland Hussy
Apr 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
I started reading The Restorer and got immediately hooked by the writing. About 40 pages in I realized that there was a prequel, and whaddayaknow, it was on my nook! hooray!

So I put The Restorer on hold and zipped through The Abandoned...or, I thought I would zip through it. It's so well-written and enticing. I read it as quickly as I could. For a prequel, I like how it stands alone. It's written in third person, but the rest of the series is in first person pov, so it's a nice change.

Ree is vo
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Grade: C or 3 Stars

A mildly entertaining novella about a vengeful ghost, buried secrets, and a psychiatric ward. It has a light romance. This story reminded me a little of an 80's film titled "A Ghost Story" although "The Abandoned" is not scary, unless you find cold drafts, foggy windows , and the feeling of being watched as a source of horror.

Ree Hutchins, a university student and mental hospital volunteer, loses an elderly patient. She overhears an ominous conversation between the head pschi
Dominika
May 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, ebook, freebie
I couldn't stop reading this one :) It's sexy, fast-paced, the story is good and I really liked the mystery :) Made me want to read the whole series.. Also, my second first time this week :P I always read books in pdf, but never a real e-book using a suitable program, so I really had no idea that it can work so well. Might actually give the whole e-book thing a go, seeing how my books have taken over my tiny tiny apartment...
Laura Carson
Aug 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I ended up reading this after the 1st book. What a fantastic teaser to get you to pick up the series. I loved meeting the characters we will be getting to know more intimatley in The Restorer. This one didn't hold the creep factor The Restorer does, but it was definatley a thrilling ride. I am officially an Amanda Stevens fangirl.
AH
Apr 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Kobo Free download 4/12/11

This was different. It was like a ghost story, but better. Spooky, eerie, suspenseful, with just a touch of romance.

I'm looking forward to reading The Restorer.
Melanie Frenette
May 20, 2011 rated it it was ok
I know it was just a prequel. But I'm not sure if it was good enough to make me want to read the next book. I may or may not read it.

I find it slightly annoying that the word 'shuddered' seems to appear at least once every second or third page ... Maybe I'm weird?
Delisa
May 02, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: painful-reading
Um. Are there pages missing to this? I downloaded it free from Kindle and it was a horrible book -sketchy plotline, no real depth to the characters and no development. I read it in less than an hour. I really am wondering if something was missing here...

• Ghostly Awakening
  • Haunting the Night (Past Midnight, #2.5)
  • Photographs & Phantoms (Gaslight Chronicles, #2)
  • The Wild's Call (Aspect of Crow, #0.5)
  • The Hunters (Henry Parker #4.5)
  • Fallen from Grace (Dark Mirror, #0.5)
  • Ashlyn's Radio
  • Big Girls Don't Die (In the Heat of the Night, Book 2)
  • Alice at Heart (Waterlilies, #1)
  • Ashes
  • Grave Illusions (Jess Vandermire, #1)
  • An Unwanted Hunger (V'KAR, #1)
  • A Chunk of Hell
  • Close to You (Downside Ghosts, #5.5)
  • Blindsight (Mirus, #1.3)
  • The Summons (Shadowlands, #0.5)
  • Gemini Moon
  • Graveyard Games
Amanda Stevens is the award-winning author of over fifty novels, including the modern gothic series, The Graveyard Queen. Her books have been described as eerie and atmospheric, “a new take on the classic ghost story.” Born and raised in the rural south, she now resides in Houston, Texas, where she enjoys binge-watching, bike riding and the occasional Horror Night with friends.

The Graveyard Queen

Graveyard Queen (6 books)
  • The Restorer (Graveyard Queen #1)
  • The Kingdom (Graveyard Queen #2)
  • The Prophet (Graveyard Queen, #3)
  • The Visitor (Graveyard Queen, #4)
  • The Sinner (Graveyard Queen, #5)
  • The Awakening (Graveyard Queen #6)
“I’ve often thought madness, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” 1 likes
“There’s a Chinese legend about hungry ghosts. Entities that devour human emotions. Spirits whose sole purpose is to sustain themselves in our realm by feeding on our warmth and energy.” 0 likes