Start by marking “Hour of the Beast” as Want to Read:
Hour of the Beast

Hour of the Beast

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  56 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
The nightmare begins on a lonely country road when young bride Elaine Stern suffers "a fate worse than death" at the hands of a werewolf. Nine months later, the traumatized woman gives birth to a pair of fraternal twins. One, Jason, is frail, bespectacled and timid. The other, Joshua, is aggressive and hairy, with uncanny strength. When the boys are in their teens, they ar ...more
Published March 16th 2011 by Outskirts Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Hour of the Beast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hour of the Beast

Joseph Ryncarz
Sep 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I have finally been able to finish Hour of the Beast. I very much enjoyed the read. The genre is not one I normally read, unless you count Shelley’s Frankenstein. That being said, the story line grasped my attention and kept me engaged throughout. I had it almost completely read before the end of Horrorfind Weekend. I enjoyed the character development. There was no overkill, in my opinion, and gave enough to be able to ‘see’ the characters without detracting from the storyline. I also enjoyed Ca ...more
Tarrin Lupo
May 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't read much horror but I think I will start reading a lot more of this genre if Michael Forsyth writes it. I did not know what to expect but this book did not disappoint. When I heard that this was a book about a werewolf that went to college, I thought it was going to be a cheesy teen wolf like tale. Boy was I wrong! This book comes out unapologetically swinging right from the start. At times this book is brutal, rough and crass but it made the college characters much more believable. I w ...more
Sheri
Sep 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

This book started off good with an action-filled first chapter where we are introduced to Elaine on her wedding day. After that first chapter we do not see much more of Elaine until the very end of the book. The book centers around her two sons, Jason and Joshua, who are a result of her interactions with a werewolf on her wedding night.

Jason and Joshua are twins who are as different as night and day. Joshua is muscular, athletic, and
Mat Nastos
Oct 12, 2011 rated it liked it
I had a chance to read "Hour of the Beast" by C Michael Forsyth this past week. The book felt a bit like something you'd see at Cinemax over the weekend - a fairly straight forward werewolf story with some sex shoehorned. Not enough sex to be considered a "sexy" or "erotic" horror book, but enough to get a teenage reader excited. The book itself was decent, and it had some character characters in it. My complaints are from the fact that everything was so obviously set up from early in the book.. ...more
Kelly Knapp
Oct 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who loves campy werewolf stories
Recommended to Kelly by: Goodreads Firstreads Giveaway
Tiffany
Oct 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Kimberly Bennett
Oct 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was a very captivating version of a werewolf tale. Too much was going on in the story that intrigued me, so I did not focus on the few grammatical & punctuation flaws. The plot had many twists and several engaging characters. It was difficult for me to put the book down before finishing and when I wasn't reading it, I constantly thought about the characters and plot. Bravo Mr. Forsyth! I look forward to reading more of your works in the future!
Adventurereader
Aug 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
AHHHHH I found out from the author that there is going to be a series steming from this book :) really excitied. The last 50pgs or so had me turning pgs so fast and my head was spinning. Def ended not how i expected! A great read and can't wait for more.
Picked this up at Chicago Flash Back Horror weekend 2011 :))
Jodi Harrington
Oct 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It was a pretty good book, kept me interested. I enjoyed the twists and turns. I was hoping for a better ending as it left me hanging.... HOWEVER, I just saw that there is going to be s series.... So, it isn't the end and there will be more. That's a good thing - I want to know what happens to Joshua and Cameron (there had to be more). I'm probably going to read this again.
Mary Steiner
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a free book from Goodreads First Reads. I read this book in 2 days-only took me that long because I was reading it at work-don't tell. Super book, great story, loved the characters, hope to read more from this author. Would highly recommend this to anyone who reads supernatural or thrillers. Thank you.
Melanie
Oct 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
I was blown away by this book. Such a cool take on werewolves. I would highly recommend to anyone who reads paranormal books. I won this book through the Goodreads First-reads giveaway program,"Thank You!"
Lori
Sep 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
I just finished reading this, and I thought it was really great! I was really interested in the characters, I thought it had alot of fun humor in it too. And I really love that combination of humor/horror. When I finished reading it, I definitely was hoping for a continuation with a book two.
Kme_17
May 29, 2015 rated it liked it
I received this a first read. This was a very action pack book. Definitely a solid werewolf read. I enjoyed that the characters did grow in the story. A fun read. However just a stranded werewolf book. I would defiantly read more of this author.
Lydia Schlais
Oct 07, 2013 rated it liked it
This was a really strange book. It kept me very interested through out though. It was quite gruesome and scary, but had just as much mystery. I liked that a lot!
Chris Rutherford
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Pretty good werewolf story. I enjoyed it. :)
Bob Mcqueen
Aug 21, 2012 marked it as to-read
I love werewolves and this one sounds like it delivers a great werewolf story
Yy
Sep 15, 2011 marked it as to-read
I won this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. Hope to read it soon. Thanks.
Silly
Sep 15, 2011 marked it as to-read
I won this book from First Reads. Looks like a good book. Thank you.
I.S. Anderson
Sep 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Pretty good book.

See the real review on my blog!

Brandy
Nov 25, 2011
Brett
Sep 13, 2011 rated it liked it
I liked it. The last few chapters were really good
BrendaKoen
Nov 03, 2013
Sammy Keyes
Sep 01, 2011
Alessandra
rated it did not like it
Jul 19, 2013
Silvia
Aug 24, 2014
rated it it was ok
Sep 15, 2011
Supernatural Fict...: Hour of the Beast by C. Michael Forsyth 1 7 May 24, 2011 12:21AM
  • Atticus for the Undead
  • The Wolf at His Door (The Runes Trilogy, #1)
  • The Pirate Curse (Spirit Guide, #5)
  • The Sticks
  • Willow Vale
  • Prepare
  • Single and Sexy Confessions (Hardcore Hotels Volumes 1-4)
  • Diana's Dreams (Whispers)
  • Westward Weird
  • Lila the Werewolf
  • Spiral Path (Night Calls #3)
  • Men Among Sirens
  • Happy Birthday to You (Birthday Trilogy, #3)
  • The Dallas Cowboys: The Outrageous History of the Biggest, Loudest, Most Hated, Best Loved Football Team in America
  • Fibromyalgia and Muscle Pain: Your Guide to Self-Treatment
  • Ricochet
  • Consequence (Secrets of Eaton, #1)
  • Endangered (Iris Oakley, #3)
C. Michael Forsyth's 2011 first novel Hour of the Beast was hailed by Horror Fiction Review as a “fast-paced, rip-snorting, action-packed, sexy college romp.” He is also the author of The Blood of Titans and The Identity Thief.

Forsyth is a Yale graduate with an MFA from NYU. For 10 year he was senior writer for Weekly World News, the outrageous satirical tabloid. Those stories can be found in a co
More about C. Michael Forsyth...
“After the snap, Chad took off like a gazelle and the quarterback hurled a 30-yard bomb that rocketed straight to him. Fast as Chad was, Joshua ran him down like a Discovery Channel cheetah. It was no contest.” 0 likes