Start by marking “Nemesis” as Want to Read:
Nemesis

Nemesis

(Star Trek: TNG: Movie Novelizations #4)

Remus -- mysterious sister world to Romulus. A planet where hope surrendered to darkness long ago. A planet whose inhabitants have been without a voice for generations. But that's about to change. Earth -- home to Starfleet, where the crew of the "U.S.S. Enterprise(TM) " NCi1701-E, gathers under the crystal blue skies of an Alaskan day to celebrate the wedding of Will Rike ...more
Hardcover, 8 plates & Illustrations, 227 pages
Published December 10th 2002 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Nemesis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nemesis

J.W. Braun
Jan 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
Dillard does the best she can with this story, cutting a quick pace to cover a weak screenplay. Also, she's able to delve into the internal psychological issues of Picard and his clone more effectively than the film can, since she's able to give us their thoughts.

The big problem, however, remains: the story has no momentum. All the scenes and subplots are so loosely connected, you never exit a scene saying, "Wow, I can't wait to see what happens now!" You simply move on to the next bit, which se
RumBelle
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-trek, favorites
What I really though was excellent about this novelization was the in-depth information. The film never really went into any detail about why Shinzon did what he did, what Remus was like, it's conflict with Romulus or what all the underlying antagonism was about. The book did in, a greatly detailed way. I have always enjoyed backstories, and books that explain long unknown facts, and this book did both of those things very well.
Lois
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It might have been an abridged audio, but it didn't feel that way - and was really good!
Reinhold
Dec 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Ein Meisterwerk in bester Tradition des Star Trek.

Piccard trifft auf sich selbst und doch nicht auf sich selbst.

Die Romulaner haben einen Klon des Captains geschaffen um die Föderation zu zerstören. Dieser Klon wurde in romulanischer Tradition erzogen und später als man ihn nicht mehr benötigte in die Zwangsarbeiterkolonie von Remus geschickt. Remus die geschundene Hälfte des Romulanischen Reiches wird in diesem Buch als genialer Einfall eingeführt. Die Remulaner stehen gegen Romulus auf und gew
Terence
Mar 28, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Insomiacs & Star Trek completists
Recommended to Terence by: I'm in a Star Trek mood & need something to listen to in the car
If I weren’t listening to this in the car, I think I may have stopped reading after chapter one – it’s boring! So very, very boring. The writing is insipid and clunky, and the story implausible. (Okay, okay – I know! We’re talking Star Trek so plausibility is a relative term but there are limits.)

I give it 2 stars (really about 1.5) because it is Star Trek, and I can’t bring myself to “not like it.”

It’s not entirely Dillard’s fault. The Next Generation in print suffers from the same malady as it
Grady McCallie
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
All the familiar characters are here, but this reads like the movie novelization it is: a forced plot, and choppy scenes built specifically to give each popular character (1) a chance to be in danger, (2) to risk everything for the ship/ the mission/ each other, and (3) to be saved in the nick of time, except for the heartfelt sacrifice of anyone who doesn't make it, so the movie will be remembered as an event. With all that heroism, the plot doesn't require a deus ex machina to resolve, but it ...more
Norman Howe
May 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
Enterprise is summoned to the Romulan star system to begin diplomatic negotiations"," but of course it's a trap. Captain Picard faces one of his most deadly opponents – his own clone!Meanwhile"," other crew members face their own challenges. Wil and Deanna are getting married"," Beverly Crusher is preparing to take over Starfleet Medical (again!)"," and Data meets yet another android “brother.”And of course this all leads to a confrontation which may decide the fate of the Earth. Again.This coul ...more
Sanna
Jul 31, 2011 added it
Quite a good companion for the film. Filled up the gaps and gave some good insight to the backgroungs and thoughts of the characters. Then again, so much more could've been done with the raw material here! Only a brief mention of Khitomer and what Worf experienced there? Also Shinzon's or his viceroy's fixation with Troi wasn't explained very well in the movie, neither was it done here to my disappointment. "He'd never seen a human woman before" hardly should do. Can't imagine a vengeange-driven ...more
Jen Selinsky
May 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
First Officer, Will Riker, and Counselor Deanna Troi were just married and are anticipating their honeymoon. Before they have the opportunity to depart to paradise, however, the crew of the USS Enterprise make a trip to the planet Romulus, where they find a startling discovery. Shortly after, they are faced with a great nemesis, who threatens Captain Jean-Luc Picard’s identity and the lives of the crew. Will they be able to find out the secrets of their enemy before it destroys them? Can the cre ...more
Daniel Taylor
Mar 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Trekkers
The reason I like reading the movie tie-ins is they give extra information that gets cut from the screen, like the Romulan chef who cooks for Picard in the Senate has interstellar experience, making the meal enjoyable and not Reman Spartan like he was expecting.

Apart from that, this book has two other things that add appeal for fans: an introduction by John Logan, who wrote the Nemesis screenplay, which shows how the story was developed; and unit publicist Michael Klastorin has written a backsta
Logan Young
Significantly better than the disappointing movie. Dillard did a good job filling in the massive plot holes and giving more background information to make the character motivations and scenes quite a bit clearer. There is still a lot I felt was lazily left out, like why Shinzon was obsessed with Dianna and the back story of Warf's hatred of Romulans. Then there were a few situations which seemed out of character for Picard and Data. Overall though I would definitely recommend reading this book o ...more
Sarah Gonalez
Jun 14, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: any people that are interested in Sci-fi and action
Recommended to Sarah by: A bookstore
This is about the future regarding a Space craft called the Enterprise which undergoes a war unlike any other. Captian Picard is faced with the situation of saving the universe from an evil source named Shinzon. This one man becomes a threat to every one on earth and in space. The enterprise fights another battle but this one answers the question of "is this the end?"
I thought both the book and movie were pretty good. They're both action-packed and have detail on every aspect of the story.
Rich Meyer
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2013
What can you say about the novelization of the worst Star Trek movie? That it was still better than Enterprise? That the book was better than the movie? It really wasn't .. both were equally horrid and poor ways to end the TNG series. I can't blame the author ... he didn't have a lot of anything that made sense to work with. This book is only for the completist out there.
Angela
A decent adaptation of the film. There's a few extra scenes to do with character and leading on to the Titan series of books. What jarred with me was the mention of Wesley Crusher in starfleet, apparantly due to serve on the Titan. Considering hes a super powered being I seriously doubt that. The rest of the book seemed good with character, especially Picard and Riker. A good read.
Jessica
Feb 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Good book, good movie. Picard's a pimp. Shinzon's a sweet bad guy. Story has great themes. Family is a clear theme. Another is that of separate paths or duality, I don't know how to explain it. There is Picard, and his clone, there similarities and differences... Data and B4, Romulans and Remen's, etc. Good stuff.
Jason Vargo
The problems with this novelization stem directly from a sub par movie script and not the author. She does the best she can with weak material and manages to make the story much more exciting, and involving, than the live action version.
Nicolas
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
This was much better than I expected it to be. It helped to fill in some of the gaps in the movie. Nemesis is a flawed story, but it does provide some closure to the TNG era. The book helped me to appreciate that more. If you've got a few hours to kill, I think it's worth checking out.
Jay Dee Archer
My first time reading a movie novelisation. It reads like a script converted into a novel. I wasn't particularly impressed. I gave it 2 1/2 stars. Read my full review here:
Tony Laplume
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I happy to be a big fan of the movie, and the book does a good job capturing what makes it work (contrary to popular opinion), plus adding material from the John Logan screenplay that didn't make it to the screen.
Nick
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-trek
Why do I get the feeling this is going to take several books to try to repair the stuff caused to the canon by this movie... at least this book didn't involve an idiot director who refused to do any research on the series, so at least that book has that going for it.
Ildi Sabján
Aug 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Data holds his breath and Dr Crusher writes on a sheet of paper...come on...I hope its only the translation. ...more
Sian Jackson
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
can understand why this film was suppose be so badly thought of. as usual the book has more detail and some lovely photos. i liked it am i the only one that did?
Juan Camacho
May 08, 2016 rated it liked it
The book's better than screenplay or movie.
Chris
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Liked it better than the movie. Wish it had the deleted scene of Wesley crusher talking about the Titan at the wedding in it
Jacqueline
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Action packed story with great narration that made me want to watch the movie.
Scott
Aug 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek-read
I really liked the book after being terribly disappointed with the movie. We see more of the ensemble cast of characters and better characterization and context then the oddly directed action movie.
Markus Korpela
Great novelization!
Stedwards
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: for-fun
terribly awesome. as audiobook, voice actor was great. wonderful for long driving.
Paul
Feb 03, 2010
Les Bonser
rated it did not like it
Sep 05, 2012
  • A Time to Harvest (Star Trek: A Time to... #4)
  • The Genesis Wave: Book 3 of 3 (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • A Time for War, A Time for Peace (Star Trek: A Time to... #9)
  • Ship of the Line (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • The First Virtue (Star Trek: Double Helix, #6)
  • Grounded (Star Trek: The Next Generation #25)
  • I, Q
  • A Time to Hate (Star Trek: A Time to... #6)
  • A Time to Heal (Star Trek: A Time to... #8)
  • A Fury Scorned (Star Trek: The Next Generation #43)
  • Double or Nothing (Star Trek: Double Helix, #5)
  • Vectors (Star Trek: Double Helix #2)
  • Maximum Warp: Book Two (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #63)
  • Nightshade (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #24)
J.M. Dillard is the pseudonym under which Jeanne Kalogridis (b. 1954) publishes her Star Trek novels.

Star Trek: TNG: Movie Novelizations (5 books)
  • Star Trek Generations
  • First Contact (Star Trek: TNG: Movie Novelizations #2)
  • Star Trek: First Contact (Young Adult Adaptation)
  • Star Trek Insurrection