Start by marking “Synthese (Star Trek: Titan, #6)” as Want to Read:
Synthese (Star Trek: Titan, #6)

Synthese

(Star Trek: Titan #6)

Das Raumschiff Titan setzt seine abenteuerliche Entdeckungsreise fort!

Als die Titan auf eine Raumverzerrung trifft, wird sie aus dem Warp geworfen. Sie findet sich in einem Schlachtfeld wieder, in dem die zerstörten Überreste eines Schiffes treiben. Das, wie sich herausstellt, niemals eine Mannschaft hatte. Auf der Suche nach Antworten entfernt das Außenteam den Computerke
Published August 10th 2011 by Cross Cult (first published November 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Synthese, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Synthese

Start your review of Synthese (Star Trek: Titan, #6)
Jarrah
Aug 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, novel, star-trek
The marketing of this book (front cover and inside excerpt) make it seem like this book would centre around a return of Minuet as a love interest for Riker, which I was pretty skeptical about.

Fortunately that angle was a little misleading - the actual story is much more about Titan's encounter with a race of intelligent machines, who are locked in an intergalactic war that could have far-ranging consequences. I won't spoil how Minuet gets involved, but she's much more complicated than the holog
Lance Schonberg
Sep 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek Fans
This is probably my favourite of the Titan books so far. While the cover makes it look like a romance novel, don't be fooled; just enjoy the characters and the story. And, really, it's the first book in the series where I really bought into all of the characters beyond just being familiar with the ones borrowed from pre-existing TV series. In part, that may be due to appearance in multiple books prior to now, but it's starting to feel like they're a crew, which is nice.

Once again with the univer
Christopher
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Crystal Bensley
I got really bored with this one. My least favourite Titan story. The AI species is interesting but man the story drags.
John Cipolla
Interesting book. The titan's computer was turned into minuet. The other society they meet gives computers the right to be intelligent
Jerry
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun and exciting entry in this series.
John
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Possible spoilers ahead.
After the disaster that was Over a Torrent Sea, I was pleased to find this novel to be much, much better. It still didn't have that zing that I keep waiting to find in the Titan saga, but it came close.
In this iteration, the Titan's crew runs across a race of sentient computer machines that are at war with some kind of subspace-dwelling monster. The computers themselves are interesting characters, although their dialogue is a bit corny. An interesting touch is the Titan's
Jess
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, after some pretty action heavy Titan adventures in Destiny and relationship driven one in Over A Torrent Sea I sort of wanted a little action. some weird gizmos, some little humor, moments where the most unlikely of people stood up to do the right thing when they had every reason not a little boldly going where no one had gone before and just a dash of modern day ethical issues disguised as Science Fiction. Y'know, Star Trek.

And what do you know, Synthesis delivers all of that and more. I
Casey Pettitt
3.5 stars. Started a little slow for my tastes but picked up toward the end. In fact, the last few chapters feature some great space battles. The long chapters made it hard to find good stopping places. I’m the kind of reader that likes to read entire chapters at a time. One great thing about this book was some decent character development and good use of some minor characters. Overall, pretty good.
Valerie Montero
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
And exciting and thought provoking Star Trek novel

This book has everything great about Star Trek. Exploring the unknown, meeting crazy new aliens, fighting battles against impossible odds, and being put into situations where The right answer it’s both hard to realize and except. I started reading, and I couldn’t put it down until I finished. Afterword, I was sorry that it was done.
David Lightcap
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wreckage, a Mystery, and a New Beginning

Titan investigating a mass destruction zone discovered a machine intelligent AI, soon follows an attack by a organism that had been working to destroy everything it makes contact with. The SO society wants nothing to do with organic life but we don't always get things done because we want it's happening.
Daniel
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Minuet was bad the first time. She's not better now.
Jamie
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this particular book.
Tony Pope
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's pretty much a given...if it's a Star Trek novel...I'll like it...
Discount Compost
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent Titan novel. A thoughtful rumination on AI, duty, personhood, and sacrifice in classic Star Trek style.
Emma
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-books
Micah
Jan 07, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After a Torrent Sea this was a great recovery novel for the Titan Series. After the dismal set of events surrounding the plant Droplet, our explorers again find themselves randomly picking a planetoid/system and falling into anther adventure. The plot unfolds rapidly after the crew discovers the remains of a spacecraft that is sentient. This sentience brushes against the Titan computer increasing its self awareness creating a Data like dilemma about the rights of non-human beings. All of these e ...more
Matthew Purnell
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Synthesis" by James Swallow is not only a great Star Trek story, it is a wonderful tale of science-fiction all by itself. You will experience the grand dynamics of the USS Titan's entire crew, all the diverse aliens who make up the ever expanding Federation are also a huge part of the story's main group of characters.

The main antagonists in this book are the artificial life forms found by the crew of the Titan within an unexplored region of the galaxy. They are "living computers" or more exactl
Morgiana
"It was okay" just about sums it up. I liked it better than Nightfall, one of Swallow's Stargate novels, but I just don't care for his writing that much. According to his bio in the back of this book, he pitched the story ideas for two episodes of Star Trek: Voyager, "One" and "Memorial"--but did not actually write the screenplay for either. I liked both of those episodes, and I think he can come up with some great stories. I just don't like how he writes them.

My main problem with this book was
Wayland Smith
The Titan series continues in their next big adventure. Riker's ship is back to its main mission of exploring, and they find a new race of self-aware machines in uncharted space. This leads to a series of complications, including the Titan's own computer getting something if an evolutionary boost.

After the series of cross-overs and grim events, this is a much better read in my opinion. There are a lot of plot twists and some really good scenes that should appeal to sci-fi fans. I really liked t
Nis
Aug 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not much Destiny or Typhon Pact influence here, which I guess is OK. The Titan series tends to visit fairly alien environments/cultures, and the machine culture in Synthesis is quite interesting. One thing I really like was that they were neither obviously superior or obviously inferior to the Starfleet crew, just sufficiently different that both sides could surprise the other.

Spoiler ...

The extradimensional Null and the awakened computer were both a bit to deus-ex-machina to me though. They can
John
A very entertaining book, though not what I expected. Author James Swallow doesn't have a lot of Star Trek novels to his credit, so perhaps that is part of the reason this book seems a little less "Trekie" and a little more "Heady" that your run-of-the-mill ST novel. Still, quite entertaining and a must-read book for those following the exploits of the former crew members of the Enterprise and Voyage, in the "post Destiny" Star Trek Universe.
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, sci-fi
Another great installment in Titan. My only disappointment is in the few tiny pieces of information we got concerning the larger ST Universe. Those who follow the novels know there have been a few major "whacks" to the plot and continuity in the last couple of years and each new book that comes out I anticipate how they will deal with all of that. This one mostly skirts those issues...though those not happy with the overall direction of the novels might take that as a strength.
Dan
Jan 06, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, e-books, titan
An interesting story, but a little plodding in some places. Interesting ethical questions are raised, and while they should be universe-shattering in implication, the effects are confined to this one story and don't seem likely to be explored in a wider forum. Interesting world-building and a new, unique life-form are the saving graces of the story.

Full review: http://treklit.blogspot.com/2012/01/s...
Angela
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Titan find a completely artificial race that seems to be at war, and who don't like organics. Don't get too excited Minuet isn't actually in the novel, and the character that looks like her isn't in it until halfway through. It's a good creation of an alien society, and you do actually start to care about them. I like how Titan does proper exploration stories that aren't tied into the big events. A really good read.
Stephen
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alex
Jul 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, star-trek
Hands down the best book in the series. A surprisingly interesting machine civilization, tons of space battles very well described and the birth of Titan's newest crew member, even though it did not possess a physical form, bring forth an exciting story of exploration, trust, the cycle of life and death and how the mistakes of a species can centuries after threaten to doom entire solar systems.
Bryan Williams
New Star Trek writer, but Mr. Swallow did a great job in keeping the Titan momentum going. Titan's travels have been some of the most "alien" of the Trek franchise I have read so far. The authors that have created/write Titan stories really strive to truly "explore strange new worlds," and to promote the best qualities of the Federation and humanity.

Bravo!
Jeremy
I could say this is the best Titan book we've gotten so far. I'll be honest though I just don't care for this crew. I've never been a huge Riker or Troi fan and I can't say these books have done anything to improve that view. I did enjoy the overall story and felt like it was something new and fresh.
Jimyanni
Jul 10, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
This was a pretty good read; the concept was worthwhile and fairly well handled. But without going into details that could provide a spoiler, I can't say much other than that the climax seemed like a real copout, not unlike the stories in the original TV series (or many other series) in which the main character falls in love, so you know that the love-interest has to die at the end.

• The Eternal Tide (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Lost Souls (Star Trek: Destiny, #3)
  • Mere Mortals (Star Trek: Destiny #2)
  • Zero Sum Game (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #1)
  • Rough Beasts of Empire (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #3)
  • Protectors (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Acts of Contrition (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Gods of Night (Star Trek: Destiny #1)
  • Fortune of War
  • Seize the Fire (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #2)
  • The Last Best Hope (Star Trek: Picard #1)
  • Children of the Storm (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Unworthy (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • A Singular Destiny (Star Trek)
  • Losing the Peace (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Full Circle (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Destiny: The Complete Saga: Gods of Night, Mere Mortals, and Lost Souls (Star Trek)
  • Atonement (Star Trek: Voyager)
James Swallow is a New York Times, Sunday Times and Amazon #1 bestselling author and scriptwriter, a BAFTA nominee, a former journalist and the award-winning writer of over fifty books, along with scripts for video games, comics, radio and television.

His writing includes the Marc Dane action thrillers, the Sundowners steampunk Westerns and fiction from the worlds of Star Trek, Warhammer 40000, Do

Star Trek: Titan (10 books)
  • Taking Wing (Star Trek: Titan, #1)
  • The Red King (Star Trek: Titan, #2)
  • Orion's Hounds
  • Sword of Damocles (Star Trek Titan #4)
  • Over a Torrent Sea (Star Trek: Titan, #5)
  • Fallen Gods (Star Trek: Titan, #7)
  • Absent Enemies (Star Trek: Titan)
  • Sight Unseen (Star Trek: Titan)
  • Fortune of War