Start by marking “Little Owl's Night” as Want to Read:
Little Owl's Night

Little Owl's Night

It's evening in the forest and Little Owl wakes up from his day-long sleep to watch his friends enjoying the night. Hedgehog sniffs for mushrooms, Skunk nibbles at berries, Frog croaks, and Cricket sings. A full moon rises and Little Owl can't understand why anyone would want to miss it. Could the daytime be nearly as wonderful? Mama Owl begins to describe it to him, but a ...more
Published September 1st 2011 by Viking Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Little Owl's Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Owl's Night

Sophia Triad
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Little owl is having a wonderful night!
Adorable book!
There was a time that we used to read it every night before we slept.
Melki
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is beyond adorable!

I'm a jaded old lady, and squealed a loud "Awwww!" at the ending.

(Please don't tell anyone. I have my reputation to consider.)
Lata
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely illustrations paired with a simple story about a young owl visiting a number of his friends over the course of a night.
Kathryn
Oct 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Adorable illustrations and some lovely poetic lines make up for the rather disjointed and somewhat rambling story of a little owl flying about enjoying the various sights and fellow creatures of the night. It's a good one to show little ones how night can be beautiful and un-scary.
KC
Owl out for the night.
Jen
I first read this book on March 11, 2017. I was in a funk that month, though, and didn't record any status updates or write a review. :-(

So I reread it on June 8, 2017, so that I could write my review. :-)

This is a cute story about a little owl who flies around at night, seeing other night creatures about their business, and generally just taking delight in his surroundings. I enjoyed it, and I hope it will help my nieces with their fear of the dark.

I also liked how in the end, Little Owl asked
Barbara
Sep 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ncbla, picture-book
Here's a delightful picture book for all you night owls. Little Owl spends his time watching the nocturnal animals of the field and forest moving about and listening to the chirps of crickets and the croaks of frogs. But as night draws to a close, he requests a story from his mother. She tells him night ends and day begins in beautiful, lyrical language, but he doesn't hear the end of the story because it's sleep time for Little Owl. Young readers will request this title again and again when it' ...more
Wordsmith J
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As an avowed night owl myself, I really appreciated this rarity...a book that talks about the wonderfulness of the nighttime world, rather than just coming at evening from an "It's time to get ready for bed!" viewpoint. Nighttime is beautiful and magical for Little Owl, it's his world. I got it for my little son first, before we ever purchased the companion, Little Owl's Day, where our protagonist wakes up during the day, and like a child who wakes up in the night, decides to go exploring in an ...more
Meredith
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is my daughter's (16m) favorite book. I have it completely memorized because of how many times I've read it to her and while that can drive a person mad, I'm glad the comfort task fell to Little Owl and friends. The cadence of the story is very soothing and she loves the animals
Laura McLoughlin
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very sweet story. My son and I enjoy reading it right before bed.
Zoe's Human
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully illustrated picture book with themes of nature and nocturnal forest life. A short and charming read.
Michelle
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I liked all of the little things to look at, such as the snail family in the background or the rabbit in their burrow
Kara
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My son is obsessed with this book. He calls his favorite stuffed owl “Owl Night” and I have to read it at nap and bedtime every night. Love this book so much.
Danielle
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-ya
My 1 year old's favorite book!
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
Little Owl's Night is an adorable bed time story that young children, or if you're a child at heart and love owls, will fall in love with. It's simplistic story telling and vivid illustrations make it easy to follow, and enjoy. Though the story isn't an exploration like I thought it would be, it is one of those lovely children's picture books that leaves a smile on your face.

Readers will love following the night's journey with Little Owl as he flies through the forest on his way to his tree and
Elena Hitch
Little Owl's Night is a wonderful story written by Divya Srinivasan through the eye's of an owl. It was published in 2011 by Penguin Book. It is a simple story about the different events that happen in the forest that many nocturnal animals witness, but other animals miss out on because they are asleep. During the night, Owl tries to wake up the sleeping animals to show them night life and the moon. After Owl describes the beautiful night life of the forest, the mother bat starts to tell the sto ...more
Daisy Forrester
Mar 11, 2015 rated it liked it
I like this book. I do. But I wanted to LOVE it. The illustrations are completely adorable, and the board book format is wonderful for small hands. There's just one problem, and that's the text. There really isn't a story, although there sort of tries to be one. The text is at times mellifluously descriptive, and at other times confusingly flat. It does not flow from page to page, and some of the "characters" and happenings simply make no sense and seem random, and therefore do not demand attent ...more
Holly Letson
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved everything about this book. The story was simple. The art was simple. Nothing was overdone, and it was very enjoyable. It told of nighttime in the forest, and how different animals act at night.
I kinda wonder if the Bear will notice, after waking up, that the badger was stealing his fishies/food as he slept. Nothing was said about this in the story, but it was shown on 2 separate page-spreads.
Mama Owl's story of how night turns into day is beautiful.
---------------------------
I read
The Library Lady
Feb 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
The art looks almost exactly like that in the Czech animated kids films about Mole that I've shown at story hours for years. Huge eyes,sharp angles, bold solid colors with minimal shadings. There's child appeal in the art but not much story--mostly just Little Owl observing other animals until he gets home and asks Mama about how night ends. He falls asleep over Mama's answer. The end.
Cute, but not much more.
Arminzerella
I really liked the illustrations - Divya Srinivasan makes the night a beautiful place, especially to all of the creatures who spend most of their "daily" lives in the dark. Young readers will be surprised and delighted to discover just how much is going on outside the safety of their bedrooms while they are sleeping.
Sheila
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely adorable board book about Little Owl's nightly adventures and who he visits and sees on his adventure. The illustrations make the book, with Little Owl's big eyes and the bats coming home in the morning as he listens to his mom's tale of how the night ends and the day begins. This is great for the little ones.
Jeff Corrigan
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute story with great illustrations. The pages are glossy, the colors are dark and not shockingly bright like so many children's books these days, which is good because after all this is a bedtime story. ~The Librarian Uncle
Angelina Justice
Nov 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The text is clear and simple and the art work is luminous and engaging. This is a great read aloud or quiet contemplative read alone.

The contrast of bright earth tones against the dark "night" backgrounds is simply beautiful.
Oct 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: elementary-age
Very simple text lines. Beautiful illustrations. Wide variety of animals. About a very small and adorable owl visiting with other animals and wondering what happens when night ends. Super cute good night book for children.
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
Great book! Read for my son and he loves it. There are different animals and their activities at night. We like the pictures and short sentences. We bought this book because he says his school has the same book.
Heather
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
A sweet little story about how night and morning comes about.
Nov 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: bedtime
Cute little picture book about what happens when it's dark. Would make a nice book to share during a bedtime or nature themed storytime.
Aneesa
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I like that this book features all the creepy night animals, like possums and snails and skunks. There is a picture of a sleeping bunny, but he's not mentioned. There are also dead fish.
Edward Sullivan
Sep 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The activities of various nocturnal critters seen through the wonderfully exagerated eyes of an owl. A beautiful picutre book debut.
  • Wow! Said the Owl
  • Spring Is Here
  • I'm Not Scared!
  • Old Bear and His Cub
  • Hot Rod Hamster
  • No Sleep for the Sheep!
  • Brownie & Pearl Grab a Bite