Start by marking “Mercy” as Want to Read:
Mercy

Mercy

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  41 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
When Georgina Fulci’s plane crashes into the Atlantic, her troubles have just begun.

Desperate to get home to her family, Georgina and a handful of survivors must find a way to escape an uncharted island… while fighting off hordes of the living dead.
Nook, 399 pages
Published March 24th 2011 by Joshua Grover-David Patterson

To ask other readers questions about Mercy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mercy

Felicia A
Apr 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombies
A good book, well written and thoughtful. The journal style doesn't work super well from an editing perspective because when you write a journal, it should not have continuing dialogue that makes it read like a book, but this book reads smoothly nonetheless. If anything, parts of this should be journal entries, and parts of it should be broken out into actual text. The writing itself is very good.

There are zombies, yes, but it's not really a "zombie book". The book starts out with the main chara
Audrey Ziebol
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I usually avoid zombie books, but once I started reading this book, I wanted to keep reading. It showed how these people worked together after surviving a plane crash. There was a lot of suspense throughout as they did what they could to defeat the zombies. I found that the journal was an unusual but interesting way to present all that happened.
L.A.
Article first published as Book Review: Mercy by Joshua Grover-David Patterson on Blogcritics.

The end of the world as we know it has been a popular theme for many of the newer novels, and yet it has been around for an extremely long time. One of the more talked about, written about and televised endings consists of the advent of zombies. Those newly and long dead creatures that began as human but now feast on humans for their very survival.

In Mercy by Joshua Grover-David Patterson, we follow the
Samantha Leighanne
Oct 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads, reviewed
**DISCLAIMER** I received this book from the author in exchange for a completely honest review.**

Zombies. They have worked our way into every day culture. It's something that we see so much of that its really becoming a cliche. Mercy is a book about zombies. BUT, it is not an average zombie book, and you should read it, and I'm going to tell you why.

Georgina's plane has crashed. She is stranded on a deserted island with only a handful of survivors. Sounds like the opening of some survivor type t
Kelsey
Jul 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: zombies
I have a love hate relationship with this book…I didn’t like the first half all that well mainly because it was nothing original and we are very limited in what can happen since it is all happening on an island. Once the action switches to America it becomes more interesting. Mercy is written in diary format which once again limits what we know about what is actually going on. The main heroine is Georgina Fulci and the writer of the diary. She becomes stranded on an island after her plane crashe ...more
A Book Vacation
Apr 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a fantastic novel! I’ve read many zombie stories, but this one takes the cake! I was most impressed with the fact that there is a great storyline surrounding this novel; it’s not your run of the mill zombie story, and I highly recommend reading it!

The format of the novel is intriguing. Patterson sets the story up as an epistolary novel (my favorite), using journal entries instead of letters. Georgina Fulci, the protagonist, writes in her journal for a number of reasons: a last testament
Tahlia Newland
Apr 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Wow, wow, wow. This book blew me away. When Joshua contacted me and asked for a review, I said that Zombie novels weren’t really my kind of thing, but I said I’d look at it, anyway. One of the reviews he showed me said the novel had heart and that appealed to me. But this book doesn’t just have heart, it has soul, it has meaning, it’s thought provoking and it’s deeply moving.

Mercy isn’t just another horror story with Zombies. It’s real people, fighting a real life problem (that just happens to b
Amy
Apr 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for a Zombie novel that is all blood and gore then this book is not for you. If you are looking for a novel that you can not put down; because you have to know what happens next - then this is more your style of book. The suspense was a amazing. Although the living dead aka zombies are a main theme in this book, The meat of the story is about survival and at what cost. The story asked the age old questions of survive syndrome; Why me, why us, why them?

I am admittedly not a fan
Al
Oct 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, read-2011
Flying home to the U.S., Georgina Fulci’s plane crashes near a remote island in the Atlantic. She and her fellow survivors soon discover that zombies have overrun the island. Can Georgina find her way off the island and return home to her husband and Mercy, her daughter?

I think it is fair to describe "Mercy" as a genre hybrid. The opening plane crash in the middle of the ocean could signal the beginning of a straight thriller. The addition of zombies doesn’t take away from any of the qualities t
Iain
Jun 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Mercy is not a zombie novel. Sure it has zombies. Sure they eat their way through members of the cast - but primarily it's the story of a mother desperate to get back to her daughter. Its exploration of character and some of the situations are reminiscent of Stephen King - although it doesn't dwell on the gruesome moments of horror in the same way as King does - which is certainly a blessing for the more squeamish. That's not to say it still doesn't have those moments of horror, just that Patter ...more
Fred
Dec 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
Plenty of good moments of tension. A different take on the zombie apocalypse where the story is built around the experience of a small isolated group that misses the big general global melt down. Most of that is over and dealt with by the time they reconnect with the rest of the world. Also, it appears that the entire global event is pretty much over in about one year and the zombies are dropping off from natural causes by that time. The book is written by a male (I presume by the name) author i ...more
vvb
Oct 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Double whammy!

Survival on a deserted island and survival against zombies kept me at the edge of my seat with this zombie read.

This story is told well in a journal entry-type format. Flashbacks and individual backstories of the survivors are just as engaging as the immediate present situation.
Brandy Hunt
Apr 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a very interesting take on a zombie novel. Told mostly in journal format, everything is from the point of view of main character, Georgina. The author has an interesting take on group dynamics and how people bend under certain cirumstances. This is a very interesting read, and I would recommend it to most.
Ellie
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
not very original or engaging. the shallow two-dimensional characters lacked any emotional depth. even though there are zombies, it's not really a "zombie book." the author seems to attempt to provide some sort of commentary on human nature, but the message is muddled and unclear. I can't say I really took anything away from this book.
Rachel
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
I might have been able to enjoy this a lot more if the main character hadn't put my back up at least once every paragraph. Her attitude, smug self-satisfaction when she thought she was right, and the sulkiness of a child when proved wrong, had the effect of putting me off completely, making me not care about how the tale ended.
Dana Wright
Mar 30, 2011 is currently reading it
Shelves: zombies
So far, I love it. A diary format of a woman who gets stranded on an island in the middle of a zombie outbreak. Check my zombie blog for more information and a review coming soon!

Eva
Mar 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My complete review can be found on my blog.
Nicole
May 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A great book about the nature of being human...and how love can get you through even the most extreme of circumstances.
Jason
Pamela
rated it it was ok
Jan 05, 2016
Amber Carson
A great read for any Zombie fan!
Tamara
Audrey Ziebol
Oct 13, 2018
Ms.
Sep 11, 2013
Joshua Grover-David Patterson is a freelance writer, screenwriter and blogger. His articles on pop culture, film and the Internet have appeared in The Post-Crescent, Bull magazine, delight! magazine and Film Threat. Patterson’s films have won 13 awards and appeared in 29 film festivals all over the world, including in Japan, Australia, Hungary, Norway, the UK and throughout the United States. Patt ...more