Start by marking “I'm Taking My Eggs and Going Home: How One Woman Dared to Say No to Motherhood” as Want to Read:

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  103 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Lisa Manterfield was a sensible 32-year-old when she met The One—a man who sparked a passion for tango, an urge to break down closed doors, and a deep-rooted desire to reproduce. Five years later she was a baby addict, hiding her addiction, plotting a maternity ward heist, and threatening anything that got in her way, including her beloved husband and his pesky practicalit ...more
Published January 4th 2011 by Steel Rose Press (first published November 18th 2010)

Win a Copy of This Book

• I'm Taking My Eggs and Going Home by Lisa Manterfield
    Release date: Jan 04, 2011
    Enter to win I’m Taking My Eggs and Going Home: How One Woman Dared to Say No to Motherhood, a 2012 Independent Publishers Book Awards winner.

“In this

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 1 copy available, 230 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Feb 13 - Feb 27, 2018

Countries available: US

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about I'm Taking My Eggs and Going Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm Taking My Eggs and Going Home

Sonja Lewis
    Apr 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I'm Taking My Eggs and Going Home: How One Woman Dared to Say No to Motherhood is Lisa Manterfield’s heartfelt story of how she came to terms with childlessness.

The appropriately named book will resonate with any woman who has desired to have children, but due to infertility or other circumstances, did not succeed. Quite frankly, it is a good read for anyone who has ever grappled with a deeply emotional issue. That’s all of us.

But be ready for boldness. This writer doesn’t do sugarcoating. Hip
    Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: favorites
    This book has changed my life. I felt like it was written straight from my heart. This is a difficult topic that's not too often discussed. The author takes you on her journey of infertility. She is humorous and shares her thoughts very honestly- it's not boring at all! If someone you know struggles with infertitily and living a childless life, buy them & yourself a copy. It will help you better understand what they're going through.
    Kate
    Jun 19, 2012 rated it liked it
    Not a bad read though I felt it took almost half the book to get to the point where the writer even begun questioning her fertility and it was only in the last quarter (or less) that she reached the point of saying no to motherhood. I would have liked to see the first part edited back and more detail on the aftermath of her decision.
    This was a really excellently written, intelligent and heart-felt book. It was so good I couldn't put it down -- I stayed up late and finished it in one day.

We haven't yet traveled as far down the IF path as the author (we're going to start testing in the next couple months), but all of the content leading up to the author's IF testing rang true and familiar to me (I'm pretty sure I recognized the website she talks about joining, having used it myself for a year and a half), and I found myself
    Jacy
    Mar 08, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: melcat
    Lisa Manterfield didn't so much "say no to motherhood" as she threw a tantrum and deemed herself too good for it once she realized it wasnt going to happen. It was a "You can't fire me because I quit" style situation. She's self absorbed and selfish.Definitely not worth reading. The narrator is so irritatingly selfish and self-absorbed it's hard to feel any sympathy for her. I kept waiting for the turning point where she would grow the fuck up and become likeable and it just never happened. Her ...more
    Jenny
    Mar 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: memoirs, non-fiction
    Few infertility memoirs on the market these days feature the childfree ending, but the chidlfree-and-not-by-choice community is one that is slowly growing and one to which I recently joined the ranks. Lisa's story, humorously told, was one which resonated with both myself and my husband. The long time desire for a child, finding one's partner somewhat late in life, the ensuing struggle to have a child while keeping one's sanity and marriage together; and finally coming to the slow realization th ...more
    Julie
    Oct 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
    There were moments when I wasn't sure how I felt about this book. Not because it wasn't goo, but because her story is so different from my own. In the end I'm very glad I read it. It gives me hope that I will be okay if my dream of having kids doesn't come true.
    Rebekah Wick
    Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Great!

I felt like the author was speaking from my very own life experiences most of the time. It seems that women in my situation are often only told the success stories. But I often wonder what happens to those that this never happens to? Very good read.
    Susan Bazzett-Griffith
    3.5 stars. This was a difficult book to read, having struggled with infertility myself and been blessed with one miraculous little boy and suffering 4 miscarriages before needing a hysterectomy. Lisa Manterfield's journey through a myriad of doctors and the repeated fundamental stages of grief over a six year period is rendered thoughtfully and powerfully through her memoir. I could feel her desperation and heartbreak, and at the end, her begrudging acceptance. The one thing I didn't like readin ...more
    Kattie Sivley
    May 15, 2014 rated it liked it
    This book is a great contribution to the infertile community. I would highly recommend this book to anyone dealing with infertility, or knows anyone dealing with infertility. It really helps you understand what women go through. Lisa is an excellent writer, so the book is a quick read (I finished it in one afternoon). See what else I thought about this book on September 18, at www.vivacioushobo.com
    Linda
    Mar 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: ebook
    Lisa writes a very honest account of her own story of infertility and the subsequent decision to live without children. She writes with compassion, humour and insight, and I hope gives other women hope that life continues to be full with or without children.
    Anni
    Apr 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: first-reads
    I loved this book! Very seldom do you find a book that is full of "real" thoughts and feelings from the author. So many women struggle with infertility and this was an honest approach to one couple's story. What a great read.
    Shannon Baas
    Mar 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
    This is a good book. It takes Lisa and Jose through what they go through trying to have a child, including surgery, thinking about IVF, the frustrations they go through, and what they finally decide on. I would recommend this to anyone.
    Lynn
    Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
    For anyone going through fertility issues or that has a family member/friend going through them - you should read this book.
    Brittnee
    May 13, 2013 rated it liked it
    This isn't a poorly written book, but I just can't relate to this baby madness.
    Jessica
    Jessi
    Apr 09, 2012
    Claire
    Apr 21, 2011 rated it liked it
    Shelves: travel, memoir, marriage, women
    an open and honest journey with infertility
    Catherine Lambert
    Jan 16, 2013
    « previous 1 3 4 next »
    • Silent Sorority: A Barren Woman Gets Busy, Angry, Lost and Found
    • Reversible Skirt
    • Accidentally on Purpose: A One-Night Stand, My Unplanned Parenthood, and Loving the Best Mistake I Ever Made
    • Inconsolable: How I Threw My Mental Health Out With the Diapers
    • The Second Nine Months: One Woman Tells the Real Truth about Becoming a Mom. Finally.
    • The Box of Daughter:  Healing the Authentic Self
    • About What Was Lost: Twenty Writers on Miscarriage, Healing, and Hope
    • The Package Deal: My (not-so) Glamorous Transition from Single Gal to Instant Mom
    • My Teenage Werewolf: A Mother, a Daughter, a Journey Through the Thicket of Adolescence
    • The Character
    • Road Map to Holland: How I Found My Way Through My Son's First Two Years with Down Syndrome
    • The Single Girl's Guide to Marrying a Man, His Kids, and His Ex-Wife : Becoming A Stepmother With Humor And Grace
    • Baby Not on Board: A Celebration of Life Without Kids
    • The Zygote Chronicles
    • The Double-Daring Book for Girls
    • Finding Grace: A True Story About Losing Your Way In Life...And Finding It Again
    • Familyhood
    • Still Life With Brass Pole
    I’m Lisa Manterfield and I love telling stories.

I’m a curious cat and I’m fascinated by human behavior and what makes people tick.

I love fish-out-of-water stories of ordinary people in extraordinary situations, especially if those situations delve into the unexplained.

I love digging up nuggets of history—not the vast sweeping stories of events that changed the world, but the personal stories of pe
    More about Lisa Manterfield...

Nonfiction Deals