Start by marking “A Marriage of Inconvenience” as Want to Read:
A Marriage of Inconvenience

A Marriage of Inconvenience (The Arringtons and Wright-Gordons #1)

3.44  ·  Rating details ·  500 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews

Lucy Jones is a nobody. As an orphan she was reluctantly taken in by her wealthy relatives, the Arringtons, on the condition that she be silent and obedient, always. When her lifelong infatuation with her cousin Sebastian is rewarded by a proposal of marriage, she's happy and grateful, even though the family finds excuses to keep the engagement a secret.

James Wright-Gordo

Published April 11th 2011 by Carina Press (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Marriage of Inconvenience, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Marriage of Inconvenience

Fani *loves angst*
This is a book difficult to rate because it went from a keeper to a wall banger to an enganging read only to end as just OK.

I don't feel like saying much about the plot, since the description here in Goodreads says it all:
The heroine gets secretly engaged to her favorite cousin but then he meets the hero's sister, jilts her for the rich-chick and the hero and heroine who have been friends so far, get caught in a compromising position and forced to wed.

The first half/part of the book was perfec
Lyuda
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was unexpected emotional role-coaster for me mainly due to the fact that I read The Sergeant's Lady, the author’s wonderful debut novel, couple of years ago. The debut featured some of the secondary characters from this book. And I don’t want to be cryptic, but I really-really wanted to shout: Anna, please stop what you’re doing, just stop!

Anyway, back to this novel. I’m not sure why it took me so long to finally read it. I really liked it. Many reviewers provided wonderful descriptions o
willaful
3.5 stars. This story reads like what you might get if Fanny's cousin Edmund from Mansfield Park had had a sleezy side, and if Henry and Mary Crawford weren't made into the baddies. (This turns out to have been deliberate. I don't think the book moved as far from the original inspiration as the author thought, though.)

Poor relation Lucy is thrilled, though very surprised, when her beloved cousin Sebastian proposes marriage to her. But shortly thereafter, they meet James, Lord Selsley, and his si
Bubu
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars
In its set-up A Marriage of Inconvenience by Susanna Fraser reminded me very much of Mansfield Park, however, without covering quite as many topics as Jane Austen's book does. But it's only the general set-up that bears a resemblance; the plot is very much different.

Miss Lucy Jones has lived with her aristocratic relatives, the Arringtons, ever since the death of her parents at the age of nine. Penniless and powerless, Lucy learns to keep quiet and stay obedient. Treated by the Arrington's with
Wollstonecrafthomegirl
I liked this, although I'm being on the generous side with 4 stars. I read it straight through and moved immediately onto the next in the series, which is the surest sign I've enjoyed a book.

There's nice writing on display here which feels historically apt and not too much dramaz. It's very ballroom/front room/country house, not too much outside the norm, which I generally prefer.

The heroine, Lucy, is an impoverished poor relative who has ended up engaged to a cad for reasons I won't spoiler.
Nefise
I loved the story and its progress. Author's writing style is charming for me. So I'll try her other books too.

Just epilogue part might be little different. I can understand that James's resentment and anger but after that enraged, he forgave Lucy and accepted the situation very quickly. No, Lucy was not the only one to blame, she behaved incorrectly but she has decided the right thing in her own conditions. Just after James had a big disappointment and decided to seperate their lives, I couldn'
ShoSho
Aug 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, x-2014

I loved that this wasn't another silly historical romance that doesn't stay true to the time period it was suppose to happen in!

The characters didn't act modern ,they were exactly what you'd expect from people in regency England and I loved the story.
Plus for once the bad guy was taller and better looking than the hero. How refreshing is that ?!
It was one of the best historical romances I've read in while.
Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. To view the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: April 11, 2011
Publisher: Carina Press
Author’s Website: http://www.susannafraser.com/
My Source for This Book: Netgalley
Part of a Series: Yes, Prequel to The Sergeant's Lady
Steam Level: Hot

When I first picked up this novel, I admit I was a bit hesitant. I have never read any other work by Susanna Fraser, so I was unfamiliar with all of the characters, and was very concerned with reading a story
Jacqueline
Very nicely done regency. I enjoyed the development of the relationship between the hero and heroine. Well written and fairly evenly plotted. No real missteps in the historical accuracy. Very enjoyable. I did like the second book better though.
Katie Michaels
As a poor relation, Lucy depends on her aunt and cousins to financially assist her and her younger brothers. And she doesn’t expect much from life, perhaps a job as a governess one day. But her cousin Sebastian shocks her when he asks for her hand in marriage. Lucy has mooned over him for years, so she is thrilled. But she must keep the betrothal a secret until her cousin Portia’s wedding is over.

During the family’s trip to see Portia wed, Lucy meets the handsome viscount James and his lovely si
  • The Lady's Secret
  • Ruined by Rumor
  • Tis the Season to Be Sinful
  • The Perfect Scandal (Scandal, #3)
  • Song of Seduction (Seduction, #1)
  • Marrying The Captain (Channel Fleet, #1)
  • Lady of Seduction (The Daughters of Erin, #3)
  • By His Majesty's Grace (The Three Graces, #1)
  • In for a Penny
  • Nothing To Commend Her
  • Pride & Passion (The Brethren Guardians, #2)
  • A London Season (Regency Duo, #1)
  • Rake with a Frozen Heart
  • The Vampire Dimitri (Regency Draculia, #2)
  • Deceived
  • Soldier of Fortune (Rakes and Rogues of the Restoration, #2 )
  • Seduced by Her Highland Warrior (MacKinloch Clan, #2)
  • Conor's Way

The Arringtons and Wright-Gordons (2 books)
  • The Sergeant's Lady (The Arringtons and Wright-Gordons, #2)