Start by marking “Two Wheels In the Dust: From Kathmandu to Kandy” as Want to Read:
Two Wheels In the Dust: From Kathmandu to Kandy

Two Wheels In the Dust: From Kathmandu to Kandy

3.41  ·  Rating details ·  70 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
TWO WHEELS IN THE DUST IS AN ACCOUNT OF ONE WOMANS JOURNEY BY BICYCLE FROM KATHMANDU IN NEPAL TO KANDY IN SRI LANKA. FOLLOWING IN THE PATH OF THE CHARACTERS RAMA AND SITA FROM THE SANSKRIT EPIC. THE RAMAYANA, MRS MUSTOES PHENOMENAL JOURNEY IS FULL OF RICH EXPERIENCES AND ENLIGHTENING INCIDENTS. THE BOOK IS PACKED WITH ANECDOTES AND BEAUTIFULLY WRITTEN EPISODES OF HER MARVE ...more
Published February 1st 2003 by Virgin Books (first published December 8th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Two Wheels In the Dust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Two Wheels In the Dust

Ape
This made pretty interesting reading, and very good armchair travelling, as I don't suppose I'm ever likely to visit all of the places she visits here. I think I actually enjoyed this book a wee bit more than her Cleopatra's Needle book that I read a few years ago.

This is the tale of bicycle English lady Anne Mustoe travelling all the way through Nepal, India, and on to Sri Lanka, following the journey of famous Indian epic the Ramayana, visiting the places where the action took place, and where
da-wildchildz
If you turn your head quickly, you may just catch a fleeting glimpse of him now, listening quietly in the corner.

Last line from Two Wheels in the Dust.

This book seemed confused between a travelogue and an introduction into Hindu mythology. The author tried to explain her choice of root, tracing the journey in the Ramayana but myths are inserted awkwardly at intervals during the journey rather than smoothly integrated into it. They would have been fascinating if I didn’t already know them. What m
John
Oct 11, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel, library_books
Author cycles the route of the Ramayana epic, from Nepal to Sri Lanka. I found it interesting, though "purists" may feel a tad cheated in that Mustoe presents the journey in piecemeal fashion, concentrating more on the travel narrative aspect then cycling matters; she didn't do the entire thing at once. As much as one-third of the text consists of (italicized) Ranayana plot summary at the end of each chapter.
Holly B
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable account of an older British woman's trek through India. I appreciated her open-minded and adventurous spirit, and her genuine attempts to learn and understand Indian culture. She handles many frustrations and setbacks with grace and ingenuity. This book has certainly increased my desire to see the country for myself!
Janice Bridger
Interesting, loved the link to the story of Rama and Sita and Hanuman the monkey god. I also learned about the Hindu religion including the caste system. The disappointing aspect was the journey- the map and description were both confusing- half the time I didn't really get where she was and how it linked up. A better map and clearer details and I would have given it more stars.
Marty Nicholas
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another gem from Ms. Mustoe. A wonderful book for anyone interested in Indian history, culture, religion...as well as bicycle touring. Mustoe is truly one of a kind!
Elaine
Apr 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and entertaining background to Indian mythology and how much it still influences current culture.
Selva Subramanian
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travelogue
A good travelogue !
Jessica Feinstein
May 06, 2015 rated it liked it
One of the best descriptions of the caste system I've read.
Pete Wildman
Aug 09, 2016
Sagar
Nov 27, 2014
Narayan
rated it did not like it
Jan 12, 2009