Start by marking “15 Ways to Stay Alive” as Want to Read:
15 Ways to Stay Alive

15 Ways to Stay Alive

Broken hearts, scattered dreams, postpunk politics, and postmodern cut-up collages spiral and flow in award-winning poet Daphne Gottlieb’s latest collection of startling new works that explore survival after personal or communal disasters and the renewal that follows. Whether she’s writing about unanticipated outcomes (“After the Midway Ride Collapsed”), her mother’s ...more
Published April 19th 2011 by MANIC D PRESS (first published April 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about 15 Ways to Stay Alive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 15 Ways to Stay Alive

Start your review of 15 Ways to Stay Alive
Lisa M.
Nov 08, 2011 rated it liked it
It is interesting to re-read a book and add a review! (I wrote the review below the break sixteen months ago. So much has happened in my life since then!) I definitely took more time reading the collection, this time. I have begun to look up every word in a poem I don't know. In poetry, words are used more economically than elsewhere. Each word has a very important meaning. After I read a poem, I also read it out loud to fully get it's oral impact.

Which leads me to my first reflection. Daphne
Brandy Shark
Oct 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Fantastic.

Everything she writes is just phenomenal.

A lot of her poems touched me personally, the ones dealing with the aftermath of a relationship. Because there's no book on that, there's no realistic movie or show on how to deal with it. Her poems are just so visceral and moving.

I'm also a big fan of the fact there's some found poetry in the book. Poems that came from lines in emails and such. I can't wait until she releases another book and I am on the hunt to buy every thing else she's all
Andrea Janov
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gottlieb's voice is authentic, precise, and conversational all at the same time. The ordinary to the subversive is all fodder for poetry in Gottlieb's world, and that is a world that we should all be a part of. Though I like her original work (as opposed to her found in emails, text books, and new stories) best, she has a way of illuminating a subtext no matter where the words themselves originate.
Lucy
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
if every poem in this collection were up to the standard set by the poem (title drop) "fifteen ways to stay alive", daphne gottlieb would be my favorite poet, hands down. sadly, that is not the case. there's some strong, compelling pieces in here, & she clearly has talent, but neither of these are enough to fully sustain interest.
Shira
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
YOOOOOooooooooo

Ok, maybe 4.5. Some are boring - the found verse stuff, especially the ones from emails. Some are disjointed. But when she's good she's DAMN. She makes me want to change everything about my life and also keep doing exactly what i'm doing because i'm perfect. whoa. WHOA.
omi
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dropped
a lot of these poems were just unmemorable for me, they didn't connect and i really wanted them to.
Michaela

• Selected Poems
  • Writing Short Stories
  • Many Miles: Mary Oliver reads Mary Oliver
  • Klimaforschung
  • Schwimmen Tote immer oben?
  • Dark Tales
  • Soft Science
  • This Is How We Find Each Other
  • The No You Never Listened To
  • How The Light Gets In
  • If Not, Winter: Fragments of Sappho
  • A Prince on Paper (Reluctant Royals, #3)
  • A Guide to Undressing Your Monsters
  • Fen
  • Shaking the Trees
Daphne Gottlieb is a San Francisco-based Performance Poet.

Gottlieb has served as the poetry editor of the online queer literary magazine Lodestar Quarterly and was a co-organizer of ForWord Girls, a first spoken word festival for anyone who is, has been or will be a girl, which was held in September 2002.

She has taught at New College of California, and has also performed and taught creative
“In a field. With the moon.
And the dark. And the dirt.
With your mouth. And just one word:
god god god.”