Start by marking “Bertrand Russell's Best” as Want to Read:
Bertrand Russell's Best

Bertrand Russell's Best

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  283 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
First published in 1981. Routledge is an imprint of Taylor & Francis, an informa company.
Published October 26th 1981 by Routledge (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Bertrand Russell's Best, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bertrand Russell's Best

Peter Mcloughlin
I discovered Bertrand Russell in the mid 1990s when I studied analytic philosophy. I have always enjoyed his writing. He is a major philosopher of the twentieth century but was also among the minority of philosophers who was gifted at writing as well. He writes with a sharp wit and an eye for the absurdities of the world. He has a technical side in philosophy (not displayed here) but his clear prose even makes the most arcane philosophy graspable by a lay reader. He also wrote many popular books ...more
Mandar
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy, politics
A short, brilliant collection of Russell's thoughts, quips, and witticisms. His wit shines through in his incisive commentary on religion, human relationships, politics, and ethics. While the topics are deemed serious, nowhere is Lord Russell drab; employing humor and sarcasm to provoke thoughtfulness.
اویس
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I completely agree with him especially his remaining sane in the face of all types of extremeism especially the religious kind..reading it was the epiphany for me to change my views and behaviour and change it for the better.A life changer.
Nestor Leal
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes the truth you don't want to hear hurts, specially when you know it’s being told by an intelligent and studied person with clear logical arguments. That is the case of Bertrand Russell, philosopher, mathematician, educational and sexual reformer, pacifist, prolific letter writer, author and columnist plus Literature Nobel Prize winner recognized for his humanitarian ideals and freedom of thought.

I was looking for a compendium or summary of Lord Russell’s philosophy and was fortunate t
Jonathan  McGaha
Oct 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy-art
This was a good survey of some of Russell's thoughts, and each page typically has a great gem on it, but I found many of the passages repetitive and, given the volume of Russell's work, that should probably have been avoidable.

Still, it's only nearly 130 pages long, so no great sacrifice of time is made in the reading which isn't paid for by the enjoyment.
Mert  Alaydin
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Meet the modern cold reasoning of Russell, full of sarcasm.
Shalan al shammary
اشبه مايكون بمقالات صحفية في مواضيع عامة
Mertan Deniz
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: deneme, philosophy
Bertrand Russell hocamizin kitaplarindan, makalelerinden kes-yapistir yapmislar dolayisiyla biraz corba olmus. Russell'in din, ahlak, cinsellik, egitim, siyaset gibi konulardaki goruslerini ozet olarak okuyabilirsiniz. Yine de hoca efendinin diger kitaplarina gecis yapmak icin ideal.
قارئ
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
في هذا الكتاب نجد بعض من أقوال رسل والتي كتبها بطريقة ساخرة تهكمية في بضعة مباحث(علم النفس،الدين، الجنس والزواج، التعليم، السياسة، الاخلاق) ورغم أني أخالفه في كثير من آراءه، إلا أنه يضحكني ويبين لي مدى سخف الرأي الذي يخالفه.

سيمتعك هذا وسيدهشك سواء تخالف رسل أم توافقه.
Andrew Doig
Nov 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great bits that reinforce any bourgeoise humanist. Makes me want to read more because his satire puts smug smiles on my face. I'd like to disagree more often than I can with these little snapshots. Guess I kind of like him.
Marco Ocram
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My influence on Russell's thinking has borne bounteous fruit- a ripe five stars.
Wakinglife
"İnsan çıkarları nedeniyle topluluk içinde yaşar olmuştur, fakat içgüdüsel olarak büyük oranda yalnızdır..."
Joe Krudys
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
Smart, witty, and thought-provoking. I enjoyed this compilation of Bertrand Russell's best thoughts, ideas and retorts, some served with a perfect dose of subtle snark.
Kristoporus Primeloka
Ini edisi yang tidak bagus penyajiannya, seperti menginjak lantai dari pecahan-pecahan keramik yang dipasang asal jadi. Maksud hati mau belajar filsafat matematika, eh malah mati-matian ngejar kamu. uuh untung malem ini #igheatyourmagicmoments
Ibrahim
Jan 20, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
مقتطفات من مقالات مطولة وفي كثير من الاحيان مختزلة
Joe Sampson
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lots of perceptive comments on a wide range of topics.
Jovany Agathe
  • مجتمع جديد أو الكارثة
  • Love Works Like This: Moving from One Kind of Life to Another
  • If Aristotle Ran General Motors: The New Soul of Business
  • Against All Gods: Six Polemics on Religion and an Essay on Kindness
  • Women Without Superstition: No Gods--No Masters: The Collected Writings of Women Freethinkers of the Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries
  • To Hell with Culture
  • Autobiography
  • Return to Laughter: An Anthropological Novel
  • The Great Philosophers: An Introduction to Western Philosophy
  • I Am Woman: A Native Perspective on Sociology and Feminism
Bertrand Arthur William Russell, 3rd Earl Russell, OM, FRS, was a Welsh philosopher, historian, logician, mathematician, advocate for social reform, pacifist, and prominent rationalist. Although he was usually regarded as English, as he spent the majority of his life in England, he was born in Wales, where he also died.

He was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1950 "in recognition of his var

$10.74 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Out of Africa and Shadows on the Grass
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Kingdom by the Sea: A Journey Around the Coast of Great Britain
  • The War That Ended Peace: The Road to 1914
    $6.99 $2.99
  • No Limits: Blow the CAP Off Your Capacity
    $9.99 $2.99
“The problem of political theory is how to combine that degree of individual initiative which is necessary for progress, with the degree of social cohesion which is necessary for survival.” 2 likes
“There is no greater reason for children to honor parents than for parents to honor children, except that while the children are young, the parents are stronger than the children. The same thing, of course, happened in the relations of men and women. It was the duty of the wives to submit to husbands, not of husbands to submit to wives. The only basis for this view was that if wives could be induced to accept it, it saved trouble for their husbands. 'The man is not of the woman, but the woman of the man; neither was the man created for the woman, but the woman for the man' (I Cor. xi. 8,9). I defy anyone to find any basis for this view, except that men have stronger muscles than women.” 0 likes