Start by marking “Fiona Range” as Want to Read:
Fiona Range

Fiona Range

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  668 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Abandoned by her young mother, unsure of her father's identity, and raised by her prominent aunt and uncle near Boston, thirty-year-old Fiona Range has developed a high threshold for emotional pain. Her recklessness, generosity, and poor judgment have landed her in more scrapes than her affluent family-or small-town community-can tolerate. Beautiful, volatile and smart-ton ...more
Published July 1st 2001 by Penguin Books (first published May 8th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Fiona Range, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fiona Range

Darryl Mexic
Jan 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
***** “Fiona Range” by Mary McGarry Morris – Fiona Range is the heroin of the novel of the same name. She is a fascinating character, who is somewhat out of control, the black sheep of her family, a bit of a slut, easy to upset, hard to embarrass, and often wishing she were not as she is. Fiona is beautiful, sexy, a waitress in a diner, and as the novel opens she was recently thrown out of her aunt and uncle’s home, where she was raised, for having finally gone too far. Her equally beautiful and ...more
Larissa
Jan 11, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ugh. Not a single likable character, uninspired writing, tired storyline. I liked "Songs in Ordinary Time", but this one couldn't end quickly enough for me. Thumbs down.
Bonnie Brody
Feb 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As this novel opens, Fiona Range wakes up with a strange man in her bed. She had been very drunk the night before and can't remember what happened. As she sees this man leave her apartment, she realizes it is the husband of one of her friends - a friend who just had a baby yesterday. Fiona just can't seem to get her life straight. She is desperately lonely and doesn't know how to fit in.

She was raised by an aunt and uncle. Her mother deserted her when she was an infant and Fiona has always felt
Clare
Sep 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous! Like her book "Songs in Ordinary Time," Morris does a superb job of getting into the heads of her characters. The suspense builds & you can't put this book down...What will Fiona do next?

Here's what ReadingGroupGuides.com has to say about Fiona Range:
Cleo Relox
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite books of all time. I've reread it countless of times.

I am always on the lookout for strong female characters, and Fiona's proven herself to be one. A survivor. Her story is one of sadness, and trying to fit in and finding herself.

The book was amazing and nearly impossible to put down. Fiona was such a compelling and real character. She is definitely a flawed character, but I found myself rooting for her.

The characters are phenomenal - I continually found myself loving
Beth
Nov 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished this book last night at about 2 in the morning. I don't really know what to say about this book, it didn't really leave me with any feelings good or bad. I think that the story was fairly ineresting and I enjoyed watching the main character, Fiona Range, as she struggles with her life. Nothing ever seems to go right for her be it with men, her job, her "father", or her family. She is living in a small town where everybody seems to know everything about everybody but nobody wants ...more
Shyla
Jul 08, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished this a while ago but I do remember that I liked it. I loved Fiona's just put it out there attitude. She is one of the most mixed up, self destructive and fly off the handle characters I have read about and yet still felt sympathy for. Fiona focused so much on the all the wrong things in her life instead of embracing the good. She was always ready to step into a bad sitiation but usually she was trying to make things right, even if it sledom turned out that way. Her family upset me ver ...more
Ellen
Jul 17, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Jean
Apr 19, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fiona Range lives in a small town where everyone knows (or thinks they do) what everyone else is doing. She was raised by her well-respected aunt and uncle after her unwed mother leaves town without her. Fiona, in her thirties, has not yet come to terms with this abandonment or given up on her quest to find and forge a relationship with her father. Her behavior is so self-destructive at times that you want to slap her but she is still a likeable character. One plows through this book, cringing, ...more
Carrie
Jul 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
if i could i would of given the book 3.5 stars...the story definitely kept my attention and interest, most of her books do. Fiona is a 30 year old woman with lots of issues, and rightly so, she's the niece of one of the powerful families in the small town, and all of her cousins are doing their best at being responsible adults, she is working at a coffee shop and seems to always be in trouble. Fiona wakes up with a naked man in her bed the morning the book starts, what's not to like? the charact ...more
Lisa
I read Fiona Range years ago, and it was well worth the second reading. Fiona Range is a trainwreck waiting to happen, and she derails herself time and time again. But as often as she derails herself, she is also sent off track by what seems to be everyone around her. Her impulsive nature is frightening, as her actions make her seem like she has no moral compass. But it's exactly the opposite as she tries to continually get her life on back on track and keep it there. Well worth a read...and a r ...more
Tejka
Apr 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first I thought it will be one of those books that start with a main character hitting the bottom and then rising through the book... Well, this main character just kept digging herself in the dirt. But it was a good book to read, just realizing how not every life can be predictibly set and lived upon the expectations of the people in the small towns. It did leave me a bit depressed and feeling morbid from day to day. I'm happy I finished it and am looking for a more sunny read now.
Cheryl
Dec 27, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A compelling, fast read. I always like books with a large cast of quirky characters. Some of these characters irritated me at times, but they were certainly interesting. Also, Morris often gives too much "captain obvious" explanations. I'm like "I get it! I get why she feels that way! You don't have to tell me!" Overall, though, it's pretty fun if you are looking for some no brainer escapism (as I often am).
Fiona
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I return to time and again. Fiona's story is poignant, compelling, and a sharp reminder about the skeletons in anyone's closet. Being inside Fiona's head is a treat, truly insightful about a woman who's managed to turn her life into a train wreck - but perhaps she can still turn it around, even as she learns some shocking things about her own personal history?
Krizia Anna
Jun 04, 2011 rated it did not like it
This is a book that is a waste of time. I hated Fiona. She was a BRAT, BITCH, SLUT, STUPID and KNOW-IT-ALL. The book has a lot of awkward conversations and stupid characters. Sometimes I can't even understand what's going on. I feel like I'm going stupid. The plot was linear and full of temper tantrums by the always angry Fiona. She needs to go to Anger Management classes. Don't ever read this!
Kim
Jul 13, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book tells the story of Fiona Range, a rebellious, self-destructive young woman in search of herself. She decides cruel and unstable Patrick Grady is her father, which he repeatedly denies. He ends up leading her to the truth about her family. This book is funny and very dark at the same time. Still, I enjoyed it.
Lois
Dec 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Engrossing plot in a well-written book that shows that making people think you're good can have as serious or even more serious consequences than acting out. Who were the real villans--Fiona, who in her quest to feel loved and accepted, made bad choices, or her prominent aunt and uncle who kept the truth of her birth parents from her for 30 years?
Carol Brill
Really admired the character development.after meeting a character just once, most were unique enough to be recognizable. The first 100 or so pages and last 50 really hooked me and kept me turning pages. The middle not so much, felt redundant as characters behaved the same way again, and again, and again.
Louise
Jul 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cd
An oldie but a goodie. I sometimes wonder why I waste my time searching for exciting new books when I could listen to favorite old ones and enjoy them so much. I listened to this one this time around and Mary McGarry (who goes by Morris now) is as good as ever. I'd give it a 8.5 on my scale of 10
Erin
May 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. Loved. I got Fiona. I'm sure many would find her unlikable but I totally got her. I was completely captivated by her story. It moved along very rapidly, for me, but there were the quiet and reflective moments where Fiona was doing a little self-examination that really resonated with me. Fantastic book. I couldn't put it down.
Ashley
Dec 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book...sadly, maybe because I was able to relate so well to it's main character Fiona. Read it so long ago I don't remember how it turned out, but would definately recommed it and read it again.
Melanie Guerra
Aug 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
completly engrossing - i picked it up at a used bookstore, just kind of on a whim, and ended up not putting it down all weekend. fantastic tale - a mosaic of raw emotion and irrationality created in one victim of a dysfunctional family's fight to appear "normal" at any cost.
Tristy
Oct 11, 2010 rated it it was ok
I really had a rough time with this book. I hated every character and while I hoped for some kind of growing and transformation of our main heroine, it just never happened - she stays stuck and broken and sad.
Gerry
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leslie
Sep 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I adore Mary McGarry Morris...her books are very disturbing and this ine is, as well. Most of her books I give 5 stars to. This one I liked somewhat less- it is was little predictable but her writing is excellent
leigh
Dec 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This author will always get 5 stars from me. I simply love her characters and their stories.
Janine
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Couldn't put it down at the end.
Kristin Millward-Anastas
The story jumps around and the main character gets tiresome after the first 50 pages and the first 5 temper tantrums.
Pamela
Jan 10, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was OK at best.
Lynette
Not one likeable character in the whole book. But maybe that was the point.
Girl named Fiona in Oregon. ?Mills in Klamath or Portland? 1 1 Dec 15, 2016 05:07PM
  • The Distance from the Heart of Things
  • Cover the Butter
  • War Against the Animals
  • This Is Not Civilization
  • The Professor's Daughter
  • The Africa House: The True Story of an English Gentleman and His African Dream
  • The Best American Essays 2006
  • A Miracle of Catfish
  • The Tin Box
As the author of several novels, Mary McGarry Morris has received considerable attention from critics and readers, as well as from prestigious awards panels.
Her books are noted for their depictions of mentally and emotionally impaired individuals who have difficulty coping with an inhospitable world.
As New York Times Book Review contributor Alice McDermott put it, “Morris does not devise plots,
More about Mary McGarry Morris...