Start by marking “A Matter Of Justice (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #11)” as Want to Read:
A Matter Of Justice (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #11)

A Matter Of Justice (Inspector Ian Rutledge #11)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  2,912 Ratings  ·  246 Reviews
The superb new entry in the historical series The New York Times Book Review hails as "outstanding" and the Cleveland Plain Dealer calls "superb"

MP3 Book, 0 pages
Published January 6th 2009 by BBC Audiobooks America (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about A Matter Of Justice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Matter Of Justice

Julie  Durnell
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, england-uk
A fine mystery-my first acquaintance with Inspector Ian Rutledge, and why I chose this book, #11 in the series, instead of #1 I don't know! Once I got past the disconcerting voice of Hamish in Ian's head I thoroughly enjoyed his dogged pursuit of justice in the murder of a man that so many people wished dead. The two authored mother/son writing is extremely well done and their styles compliment and mesh perfectly. I look forward to reading more in this series!
Lewis Weinstein
The plot line has its fascinations and complexity. I felt Inspector Rutledge's frustrations as he pursued one dead end after another.

However, the tension was seriously diminished by the disclosures in the beginning of the book. The reader always knows more than the detective, which eliminates the opportunity to guess "who done it."

A more serious problem, at least for me, was that I really didn't come to care about any of the characters. None of them are developed enough to become whole people.

I
Dorothy
A London financial advisor named Quarles is respected and admired by his compatriots in the City, but he lives a different life altogether in the small village where he maintains a second home where he can "rusticate" to get away from business. There, he is known as a man who pursues women against their wishes, often married women or very young girls. He is just about universally hated by his neighbors there and so when he turns up dead in rather appalling circumstances, most of them will freely ...more
LJ
A MATTER OF JUSTICE (Pol. Proc-Ian Rutledge-England-1920) - Ex
Todd, Charles (Charles and Mary Todd) – 11th in series
HarperCollins, 2009, ARC – ISBN: 9780061233593

First Sentence: Ronald Evering was in his study, watching a mechanical toy bank go through its motions, when the idea first came to him.

During the Boar War, Harold Quarles committed a heinous act of cowardice, brutality and, along with a partner, greed. Twenty years’ later, Inspector Ian Rutledge has been call to the town of Cambury. Th
Gretchen
Aug 05, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ordinarly I love this series, but this one was disappointing. The writers (mother and son) seemed to be hard pressed to fit Hamish in, and Rutlege moved for place to place to place looking for evidence. The other characters felt squeezed in. Plot: An unloved son seeks revenge for the death of his older brother in the Boer War. His mother has begged him to do so on her deathbed. The we skip to a grotesque murder of a well-to-do business man in his country estate. Enter Rutledge, who appears to be ...more
Astraia
Sep 15, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Until about page 280, I was totally engrossed. I loved the way the suspects were presented and enjoyed the detective(s.) The ending was what killed it- meandering and uninteresting.
Larraine
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the early Charles Todd books. I've been reading them out of order and catching up with some of the earlier ones that I missed. It's interesting to see how the character of Ian Rutledge progresses. In this book it hasn't been long since Rutledge has come back to police work. He hasn't learned how to control the voice of Hamish in his mind.

When a well known businessman who is also despised by the residents of the village where he has his country home is found murdered the police ca
Kate
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Starting a book with a horrific crime and a relative bent on revenge might make it seem like the reader will know the solution in advance, but this book is sufficiently twisty to keep you guessing. The ending is a bit convoluted and I'm not sure I found Hamish consistent enough as a facet of Rutledge's mind this time.
P.D.R. Lindsay

Charles Todd is an American mother and son writing team. Inspector Ian Rutledge is their Scotland Yard inspector who stars in a series of novels set in the 1920s. ‘A Matter of Justice’ is the latest novel in the series.

I always have reservations about American authors who claim to love England. England is the first error, it’s the United Kingdom, usually shortened to the UK, or Britain please. Saying England insults the Scots, Irish and Welsh who are part of the nation Such authors say they vis
Andy
Apr 10, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pat
Aug 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm ambivalent about this series. I've liked some of the books and not others - probably depending a lot on how intrusive Inspector Rutledge's internal voice (Hamish, a dead colleague from WWI battlefields) is. He's not very intrusive in this one. In this book, however, Todd carries off quite a feat. The reader is always ahead of Inspector Rutledge because the reader knows from the first chapters who the murderer will be, who sets the murder in motion, and the background behind the relationships ...more
Eleni
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this historical fiction/mystery series, but I did know who the killer was pretty much from the start of the book. That being said, finding out the how and the why was worth the read. The characters, especially Inspector Rutledge, are great, complicated and accruing layers of depth as the series progresses. Can't wait to read the next one. Recommended to all fans of mystery and historical fiction.
Carl Brookins
Apr 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thoughtful, insightful look at the implications of our actions. Again features the damaged WWI veteran and Scotland Yard detective, Ian Rutledge. He's faced with a murder, impelled by a desire for revenge some twenty plus years in the future. The ripples of a simple lie spread and spread, gradually enveloping an entire English hamlet, the good and the bitter folks. A thoughtful examination of the human condition.
Lisa
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best in this series so far--an engrossing plot without the mix-up of characters or the bogging down that can occur in the Ian Rutledge series--obviously not enough to make me stop reading them! This one is a keeper.
Violet
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Inspector Rutledge is on the move again. He is sent from the Yard to investigate a stranger than usual murder in the small village of Somerset. This story involves two men who served together in the army during the Boer wars. They would both have been up for court martial if anyone knew what they did, but there was no one left to tell. Many years later, one of them is murdered. There are a lot of people who dislike him and no obvious suspect; the investigation is lengthy; and as usual, Ian is to ...more
Lynne Tull
I am getting used to Hamish. I decided that he is Ian's devil's advocate. He is at times his conscience. We all hear voices in our head talking to us. Hamish seems to be human to Ian as a result of their shared events in the war. This story/mystery was quite complicated. I had enough information from the beginning chapters to form opinions on who might be guilty. As the story advanced I got more information that clouded the issue, but in the end I was partly right.
Cassidy
I enjoyed the latest read in this series - I found Rutledge's "voices" less grating and the mystery engaging.
Lynda
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting mystery about who killed a man no one liked even his own family. Inspector Rutledge has several suspects and even several who confessed to killing Harold Quarles but who did it? Does his past history hold the clue to his murder?
Pam White
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charles Todd is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors - I love both the Bess Crawford & Ian Ruthridge (? I know that's misspelled ?) mysteries.
Debbie
Too many books on the go, but I'll definitely read more of this author and character in the future.
Kay Bowen
The writing was good, but I thought the motivation was just too twisted.
Rachel
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not the best in this series.
Lyn
May 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Twisting turning trail for the Inspector, but he won't give up!
Sally Sharamitaro
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My latest Ian Rutledge novel, so enjoy them that I chose the next book as a special treat.
Marj
Feb 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A 3 1/2 for this one. Another post WWI novel with Ian Rutledge and his nemesis, Hamish. This one was a little scattered but still very good.
Lisa Johnson
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Title: A Matter of Justice (Inspector Ian Rutledge #11)
Author: Charles Todd
Pages: 330
Year: 2009
Publisher: William Morrow
The psychological aspect is ramped up in this novel. Inspector Ian Rutledge is called from a friend’s wedding celebration to take over an investigation of the murder of a member of the local gentry that universally was disliked. Ian has his hands full of suspects where normally his investigations take time to turn up a single suspect. Several in the town have motives to kill th
Lawyer
Charles Todd's Ian Rutledge returns in his eleventh outing, this time investigating the death of a man so hated that almost any person who had dealings with him wished him dead. But, for Rutledge, it is a matter of justice, "even for an ogre."

The old saying "Revenge is a dish best served cold" drives the plot in "A Matter of Justice." In a riveting departure from previous plotting devices, we know exactly who the murder victim is and the reason for his death. It's a matter of Rutledge putting th
Shonna Froebel
Nov 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 11th in the series featuring Scotland Yard Inspector Ian Rutledge, a man shell-shocked in WWI and haunted by one of his men whose death he feels responsible for.
In this case, Rutledge is called to a small village to investigate a murder where the victim's body has been displayed in an unusual way. He has just come from the wedding of a good friend and is the nearest inspector to the village. He finds the local inspector not entirely open about all the local feelings surrounding the v
Nancy
Sep 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Series is still going strong. Suspenseful and interesting. Not too much character development in this one...

At the turn of the century, in a war taking place far from England, two soldiers chance upon an opportunity that will change their lives forever. To take advantage of it, they will be required to do the unthinkable, and then to put the past behind them. But not all memories are so short.

Twenty years later, a successful London busi-nessman is found savagely and bizarrely murdered in a medie
  • Weighed in the Balance (William Monk, #7)
  • Tug of War (Joe Sandilands, #6)
  • The Blood-Dimmed Tide (John Madden, #2)
  • And Justice There Is None (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #8)
  • Circle Of Shadows (Crowther and Westerman, #4)
  • The Strange Fate of Kitty Easton
  • Hard Going (Bill Slider, #16)
Charles Todd is the pen name used by a mother-and-son writing team, Caroline Todd and Charles Todd.
More about Charles Todd...

Inspector Ian Rutledge (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • A Test of Wills (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #1)
  • Wings of Fire (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #2)
  • Search the Dark (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #3)
  • Legacy of the Dead (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #4)
  • Watchers of Time (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #5)
  • A Fearsome Doubt (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #6)
  • A Cold Treachery (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #7)
  • A Long Shadow (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #8)
  • A False Mirror (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #9)
  • A Pale Horse (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #10)