Start by marking “Second Time Around” as Want to Read:
Second Time Around

Second Time Around

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  813 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Second Time Around By Katherine Allred Five years ago Quinn McAllister's life was almost destroyed. While he lay in a coma from injuries sustained during an auto accident, the woman he loved divorced him. Or so his father told him. Now he's discovered that his divorce was bogus, and his whole world is spinning out of control. He's tempted to give his wife the quick divorce ...more
Published September 15th 2005 by Ellora's Cave

sraxe
So. What the author wants me to believe is that Quinn, who was in a coma, nearly had his leg amputated and went through surgery after surgery and still struggles with his thigh, got laid (more than once) during those five years, but Lanie, despite having had a steady boyfriend for four years, never once slept with her fiancé or anyone else.

I'm so tired of this sexist bullshit.

Of course...of course Lanie (aka the woman) was celibate through their five years apart. And of course Quinn (aka the man
edzkie♥§*.*§♥

My 3rd book of Katherine Allred after The Sweet Gum Tree & What Price Paradise. As always I loved everything about it from start to finish. Bittersweet, heartwarming story again of second chances.

My Lanie
 photo tumblr_m1k97qAd9B1rppqflo1_500_zps56521fd0.jpg

The story starts on Quinn fundraising project where Lanie gate crash just to deliver her "ex"husband the bad news that their divorce was bogus and demand a fast divorce since she'll be married in weeks.

Quinn
 photo tumblr_mhk2t4ls781qas6m0o6_250_zps387a8f81.png

As the story unfold, each revelation will shock you and like a puzzle you'll slowly
Sophie ♥
To be honest, I don't know how I feel about this book. I feel like I'm in this massive reading rut and I can't get out of it. Katherine Allred is one of my favourite authors and damn, the woman can write. This book is one of her earlier ones. You might know her from The Sweet Gum Tree. If you're thinking she's a one hit wonder - you're wrong. Definitely this book isn't as polished or epic as The Sweet Gum Tree it is still a fine contemporary romance.
Pamela(AllHoney)
Quinn McAllister finds out that his divorce was a fraud and he is still married to Lanie. He goes to his lawyers to find out what can be done to rectify the situation and discovers he also has a son. So he heads out to Wyoming to meet his son and to get answers. Five years ago, Quinn left her and Lanie is finally ready to get on with her life. Only Quinn wants three months to see if there is anything left of their marriage to salvage.

Definitely a heart-wrenching story of betrayal and lies and se
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
**3.5 stars**

I've been gobbling up Katherine Allred's books since I read The Sweet Gum Tree and I think I'm getting over my fascination. This story was good but not quite up to par as her others.

Quinn and Lanie have known each other since she was fourteen and he was eighteen but it wasn't until four years later that Quinn thought of her as something other than his friend and neighbor. They end up getting married but Quinn's Dad does not like it and schemes to break them up. He succeeds with som
Tinsoni
Sep 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I could tell this was one her earlier books from the style of writing. It was a sweet and simple read. Not her usual angst filled story. I rated lower than all her other books because of the lack of depth in her characters....they were good characters just not as nuanced as she usually makes her h and H.
Erin
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Katherine Allred's romance stories are always such a great blend of sweet and sexy with a little drama mixed in, and I really have come to enjoy all of her work. While Second Time Around wasn't as impressive as some of her other stories, Lanie and Quinn's story was a pretty solid romance about flames reunited.

I loved the concept of the broken relationship after Quinn's accident, though the idea that they'd never tried to contact each other directly after the incident was a bit hard to swallow.
Christine
Apr 18, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This story is one train wreck after another. Lanie discovers she's not actually divorced from Quinn. She leaves town to track him down which she succeeds in doing by crashing a fundraiser and throwing a fit. After this completely unrealistic situation, we find out that Quinn's father arranged for the divorce and is adament that he marry another woman who has better connections. This is where it gets interesting.

In trying to settle this with his lawyer, Quinn discovers he has a son. A son that w
FeliciaKaren
Jul 21, 2011 rated it did not like it
OH PLEASE !!!! this was pale imitation of PARADİSE (judith mcnaught)
Tina Manuel
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
2.5ish. Probably my least favourite from Katherine.
Sumaira
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book. For some reason even though it was about two people realising that their divorce was bogus and a misunderstanding created to separate them by Quinn’s father, I felt it was a feel good book. I felt so happy and just good when I finished this book. I guess what I loved about this was that both Quinn and Lanie were friends before they got married, though we only got some flashbacks showing this and I really wish there were more. The flashbacks showed the reader that what t ...more
★¸. • * ° * ༺*Blanka*༺*°°*•.¸. ♥★
Five years ago Quinn McAllister's life was almost destroyed.
Or so his father told him.
Now he's discovered that his divorce was bogus, and his
whole world is spinning out of control.
He's tempted to give his wife the quick divorce she wants until
he finds out about the son he didn't know existed.
Now he's going back to Wyoming to claim what's his, and
nothing can stop him...not his father, a
Nina
More of my book reviews at http://mustreadbeforeyoudie.blog.com

Good read but not a must read before you die. This book is about Lanie & Quinn, a couple who thought they were divorced but really weren’t. Due to Quinn’s dad interfering in their relationship, they thought the other one filed the divorce paperwork and with more scheming from the Dad, 5 years had passed since they last saw each other.

The adults in this book made a lot of sense. It’s a love triangle between Quinn, Lanie and Lanie’
Shirlyn Chin
Second Time Around falls below my decent scale and lands solidly under the okay/meh scale.

After reading two of her work, I would say Katherine Allred is a decent writer but not overwhelmingly good as many of the readers seem to think. But of course, this is only my opinion.

From the readers’ response it is obvious that Second Time Around isn’t exactly Ms. Katherine’s best work. The plot is over-used and the characters that are designed to fit into the plot are not exactly admirable. However I
Leticia
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I've read a few of her books and I've really enjoyed them. "Sweet Gum Tree" was my favorite. This book did not disappoint. It was a beautiful story about second chances. There was a part in the story where she started jumping to conclusions and I could feel my eyes rolling but then she calmed down and handled it how she should have and I really liked that. I would absolutely recommend this book to others. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because I wasn't crazy obsessed with it! Not ma ...more
Karyn
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, 2014
Not as good as the other Allred books i've read. This one was just ok. I didn't feel the bond between the MCs much. The narration was pretty much a telling rather than a showing style, which didn't help connect with any of the people.
Read her other books intead : What Price Paradise or even The Sweet Gum Tree
Charisse
Jul 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I loved it! :)
Jackie
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can't put it down since I started! True love prevails!
Alyssa
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
Feminista
Oct 17, 2015 marked it as never-to-read  ·  review of another edition
Trope: Unfaithful hero and faithful heroine.
Caron Pescatore
Mar 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brandi
Nov 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute, fast read. Not on the same level as her other books that I've read, and a couple of unlikely scenarios, but overall enjoyable
Tina
This book read like a meatier Harlequin Super romance.

The beginning is great. Lanie McAllister shows up at a fancy party trying to track down her ex-husband, Quinn. Except...ohh, awkward -- it is Quinn's engagement party. Apparently Lanie has been trying to contact Quinn for a week or so but he hasn't returned any of her calls hence her crashing the party. She baldly tells him they are still married because their divorce lawyer was a fraud. Suck on that! And turns on her heels and leaves.

The re
Amelia Yong
I'm giving it 2 stars because it's really well written. I am a huge fan of the sweet gum tree and Kathy is a good writer but the plot is just mehhh. It is similar to paradise by Judith mcnaught but I'm not going to say it is the same as I've read many books with similar plots and all. It does not even matter to me if the plots are the same. What matters is the way a book/story captures my attention, like I'll skip meals and stay awake just to read it. How I read certain chapters again because th ...more
Theresa
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book had me on a emotional roller coaster ride - I felt so bad for the situation Quinn and Lanie were put in. They lost five years due to Quinn's dad's manipulations. I felt for Lanie who was pregnant and was also dealing with the Quinn's supposed abandonment. Quinn too had his own problems, almost dying in a car crash, then thinking Lanie wanted a divorce. Now he is finding out that not only is he still married to Lanie, but they have a son he had no idea about.

It was these twists and tur
Drava
Feb 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5 Stars - I wanted to like this book because it was written by Katherine Allred. I LOVED her Sweet Gum Tree book and I really LIKED her What Price Paradise. But this novel was borderline okay. I just didn't feel invested in the characters, I didn't feel any intense emotional pulls. I skimmed through most of the book just to feel like I finished it. I won't bother reading this one again.
Umme
Jul 18, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
from all the other romantic novels I've read this was no different. i think that Katherine's approach is very subtle ans serene. her writing is easy flowing like a stream in the summer. the story is wonderful very sweet and something that will make u smile.but its a little less intense than id prefer but its still amazing...
Amanda Denney
Nov 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
its a good book to read, however it isnt as good as sweet gum tree. i liked how quinn stood by his family and the way lanie made sure zack knew quinn was his father throughout the years quinn wasnt around. from a parents point of view its a sweet family story. but for someone who isnt a parent would probably find it slight boring in places.
Shannon
Jan 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
3.5/5 stars. The thing I like about this author is that when there are issues between the characters, they are resolved quickly. She doesn't string the reader along. There wasn't really anything I didn't like about this book but it was the third I had read by Allred in about a week and it wasn't my favorite of the three.
Christina
Katherine is when of my all time favourite authors although I enjoyed the story I didn't feel it it measured up to her other books. Sweet predictable second chance love story with lovable characters.
  • His Ordinary Life (Hearts of the South, #2)
  • Hard Lovin' Man (Contemporary Duo, #1)
  • It is What it is: A Hood Love Story
  • The Fourth Child (Family Matters #3)
  • Just One Night
  • Commitment (Commitment, #1)
  • A Forever Kind of Love
  • Billy Bob Walker Got Married
  • Life
  • The Legend (Racing on the Edge, #5)
  • Just One Week (Just One Song, #2)
  • Rock Him
  • Rose
  • Once Upon A Scandal
  • Rockstar's Temptation (Decoy #4)
  • Passionate Bid (Blue-Eyed Four, #1)
  • Forgive Me (TAT: A Rocker Romance, #2)
  • Still the One
Katherine Allred was born in Arkansas and spent her formative years there learning to love books at her grandfather's knee. When she was five, her mother remarried and moved them to Michigan, where they stayed for the next ten years. At age fifteen, the entire family moved back home to Arkansas, and she's been there ever since, except for brief stints in other countries and states while her hubby ...more
More about Katherine Allred...