Start by marking “Carnelians (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #14)” as Want to Read:
Carnelians (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #14)

Carnelians

(Saga of the Skolian Empire #14)

The leaders of the Eubian empire and Skolian Imperialate have survived political intrigue, military coups and murder attempts as they worked to forge a peace treaty between their two empires. Now comes the hard part--making the treaty a reality.

Assassins are poised on both sides. Their mission: eliminate the leaders for the "crime" of striving to end half a millennia of ha

Published October 11th 2011 by Baen (first published October 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Carnelians, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carnelians

Start your review of Carnelians (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #14)
Kelly
Oct 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
‘Carnelians’ is the fourteenth novel in Catherine Asaro’s popular Skolian Saga. The saga and the characters populating this unique universe have evolved substantially since Catherine Asaro published the first novelette in 1994. The two warring empires, however, the Skolians and the Eubians, still have a lot more story to explore.

That being said, the ending of this novel satisfied in a way many of the entries into this series have not. Perhaps, after reading my way through a good portion of the s
Kerry
Oct 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 10, sf, 2011
Lois
This is repetitive and has too much overlap with the last 2 books. I'm sick of hearing about Del's song, yawn and the durn quis game.
Only saving grace is gorgeous scene towards end, won't spoil. Otherwise this is mostly a really long and repetitive short story.
Finish the series and stop dragging this nonsense out.
Elar
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
(Currently) last book in the series finds pretty decent end to conflict between 3 different human factions, same time leaving us in the dark of small hidden colony which consist of people presumed dead. Only downside is that this pattern of self-doubting abused brilliant people who finds his/her counterpart in the hardest moment in life is (over)used in every book in the series. And if you read/listen them in one row this repetition annoys.

I would suggest the series to people who want to read s
Carolyn
Another good entry in the series, best read immediately after The Ruby Dice and Diamond Star, as it is really a continuation of that story arc, rather than a stand-alone novel as many of the other Skolian series books are.
Maurynne  Maxwell
Oct 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
I can't believe it took me this long to figure out that Quis is the Glass Bead Game. All honor again to Asaro.
Jeri
Nov 06, 2011 rated it liked it
3.5 enjoyed it, but too many POVs to feel strongly invested in any of them
Joy
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Riveting interweaving of three space cultures and the people who lead them.

Read 3 times
Bruce
Jul 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eleven years after the events of The Moon's Shadow Asaro returns her Saga of the Skolian Empire to the imperial courts of the rival empires of Skolia and their arch-enemies the Eubian “Traders,” the sadistic slave owners, who, unknown to all but a few, have an emperor that is not truly one of their own. Their emperor Jabriol is the son of their former emperor and of the former leader of the Skolian military. He is the nephew of Kelric, the current leader of the Skolian military. Together, the em ...more
Dena
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed listening to the latest book in the Skolian series. I hope Catherine will be publishing another one soon. I love the Ruby Dynasty and look forward to reading more about them and their worlds.
Phil B
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Catching up on the Skolian Empire

I don’t know how I missed this book on my first pass through this series, but I’m so pleased to have caught up. While it jumps over many worlds, it is a terrific read. Grab it and enjoy!!
Cathy
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wish-list
It was very hard for me to put this book down.
Sibylle
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great story, much like the others in the Skolian Saga. It is ready for a sequel.
Mckinley
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: series, novel, scifi, music
I didn't enjoy the turn book and Diamond Star took in the series.
BelleAnne
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it
This book again felt like a continuation of The Moon’s Shadow and The Ruby Dice. The one aspect I really enjoyed was the political power of a song becoming a driving force at the start of the plot. However, I was really disappointed by the ending, which did not seem to resolve anything. The side-plot introduced extremely interesting characters, but by the end those characters become passive to the actions of everyone around them.
Suz
Carnelians is the 14th books in the Skolian Saga by Catherine Asaro, but not the last in chronological order. Not that it matters any more. What I really liked about this series was that each book was pretty self contained (with the exception of Skyfall and Schism which had to be read together), meaning you could read whatever books in any order without feeling left out. Unfortunately that self-containment of the books is gone. It's gone from an interconnected set of stories to mere chapters in ...more
Christine
Feb 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
You know when you have a favorite author/series/family that you follow, and you have a pile of books to get to, but you just pick up that old favorite and re-read it instead? That's how I am about this entire Ruby dynasty family invented by Ms. Asaro.

I just reread this book after reading Diamond Star for the first time this past weekend.

I actually teared up this time over some of the mental and emotional suffering that Jabriol Qox III goes through, and how he reconnects with his true family fo
John Loyd
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Carnelians (2011) 524 pages by Catherine Asaro.

Another fantastic Skolian novel. This is a sequel to The Ruby Dice and Diamond Star. At the end of ruby dice Eube and Skolia have signed a peace treaty. Diamond Star occurs nine years earlier and focuses on Del's singing career on Earth culminating with the inflammatory song Carnelians which is immediately erased from the psiberweb.

Jaibriol got the treaty signed, but it made him more hated that he already was. An assassination attempt in the near fu
Rachel
Oct 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Excellent as always. Recommend readers new to this series start with Primary Inversion and read the rest of the series first, otherwise it will be difficult to follow.

Be prepared to wait way to long in between future books as the author is an anomaly in that she actually has a life other than that as an author. Damn her! Doesn't she know that is illegal? I started this series in college, and I will not at all be surprised if my kids are the ones in college before it is done. No joke.

As a Kindle
Oct 17, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I both loved this book and was disappointed in it. As a long time fan, this book was everything I want from a Skolian Empire book: characters I love, filling in the bigger story, adventure, romance. However, Asaro has drifted away from her pattern of writing complete stories of no more than 1 or 2 books. The way the stories jumped around in time have always kept these books from feeling like a tedious series in pattern of Jorden or Martin. You could read one book, get a complete story and never ...more
Bron
Oct 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Carnelians is about the attempt at a piece treaty between the imperator Kel and Jaibriol, emperor of the Eubian Concord. Both are dealing with dissidents who wish to hijack the treaty, but Jaibriol's is more personal. In this story we see more of the relationship between Jaibriol and his older and very strong wife, Dehya. The insight into their relationship is fascinating, he married her in a political maneuver and yet adores her, and although he is unsure, Dehya appears to be loyal to him (or a ...more
Li
Apr 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a good thing I read this straight after finishing the previous book, Diamond Star. It's definitely not one for readers new to the series, and without a knowledge of the story so far, I think the key moments would lack impact somewhat.

I loved this book - I stayed up very late to finish it, and it totally delivered on the satisfaction front. It's not a technically perfect book, but that emotional impact thing? A million times yes. (view spoiler)
Lacey
Oct 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another brilliant entry into the Skolian series! Asaro deftly weaves the story of interstellar politics and family politics into an entertaining read.

Although early stories in the stories can be read in almost any order, Carnelians needs to be read after Ruby Dice and Diamond Star at least, and the contents of most of the earlier novels are referenced in some way. The book brings together important pieces from both Ruby Dice and Carnelians and moves forward the history of the Skolian and Eubia
Nancy
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
This latest installment in the Skolian Empire series is just as gripping as the previous books in this exciting saga. What does Jaibriol, Emperor of Eube, have in common with his arch enemy, the Imperator of Skolia? Jaibriol holds a secret deep in his heart that would ruin him if discovered. Can he move forward with his plans for peace when he can’t trust the Aristos in his court? Only his powerful wife knows the truth, and she has her own agenda. Meanwhile, Kelric the Imperator has problems of ...more
Laurie Lynn
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Over all I do love the skolian series and would like for me. This book however seems like the last as it wrapped most all of the lose ends and everyone is mostly on the road to heal. I personally don't care for the singer and pretty much skipped all his parts. The new characters are interesting but don't feel fully developed so maybe there will be more books? Yet their ends felt wrapped up as well. The only people I'm curious to see is Jai and his family and how the game influenced others. Wonde ...more
LenaLena
Jul 16, 2011 rated it liked it
By now I think Ms Asaro is sorry that she wrote Catch the Lightning early on in this series and set it so far in the future, meaning that we all know we have another 5 decades of war or so to go. It's getting frustrating to watch all these proceedings and know things are moving at such a glacial pace. Babysteps again in this book. I would love to see some stuff get resolved at the pace of the books early in the series. ...more
E. Sabin
Nov 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Carnelians, the latest addition to The Saga of the Skolian Empire by Catherine Asaro, in no way disappoints. It is riveting from start to finish as it revisits familiar characters and introduces new ones in a suspense-filled tale beautifully told. As always, I found Asaro's novel impossible to put down. The world-building and character development are expertly done, and as with all the previous volumes in this series, the book left me yearning for more.
Mitchell
part 15 of an ongoing series, one book of which won the nebula. I didn't expect much from this book - the cover in particular is horrible. And yet it worked rather nicely. It wouldn't be an especially good place to start this series. This one was way more plot driven than character driven - which I don't recall as being typical. It's too bad that quis isn't real. Anyway - just one more series that I read that no one else seems to.
Susan
Mar 07, 2012 rated it liked it
7/15/14: In preparation for the new book coming in December 2014, I've been re-reading this entire series... and am finally on this latest book. I still have a couple shorts to hunt down in my house, but I'll be all re-caught up. I still like Del.... and Jaibriol III breaks my heart.

having more than one book focus on this particular Ruby heir takes some of the wonder away from having one event from multiple points-of-view, but still a GREAT book as always. Thanks Catherine!
Jedi Kitty
Dec 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance-scifi, scifi
I always crave more of Skolia and was happy to get my fix. This book was less focused on one character...so it wasn't as compelling in that sense. Instead it felt more like a check in on all the characters and the world that I love. Progress is made in the overarching plot, but the characters remain pretty stable. It gave equal coverage to Kelric, Dehya, and Jaibriol. Roca and Del-Kurj also had big roles, and a new character I already love was introduced. Exciting!

• City of Blades (The Divine Cities, #2)
  • Battle Ground (The Dresden Files, #17)
  • Piranesi
  • City of Stairs (The Divine Cities, #1)
  • A Deadly Education (The Scholomance, #1)
  • The Relentless Moon (Lady Astronaut #3)
  • Girls of Brackenhill
  • Pulsar Race (Starship’s Mage, #9.5)
  • The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
  • Gate Quest (Star Kingdom #5)
  • Crossfire (Star Kingdom #4)
  • Hero Code (Star Kingdom #3)
  • Ship of Ruin (Star Kingdom #2)
  • Shockwave (Star Kingdom #1)
  • The Physicians of Vilnoc (Penric and Desdemona, #8)
  • Home Front (Star Kingdom, #7)
  • Knight Protector (Star Kingdom #5.5)
  • Planet Killer (Star Kingdom #6)
Blog at https://www.facebook.com/Catherine.As...

The author of more than twenty-five books, Catherine Asaro is acclaimed for her Ruby Dynasty series, which combines adventure, science, romance and fast-paced action. Her novel The Quantum Rose won the Nebula® Award, as did her novella “The Spacetime Pool.” Among her many other distinctions, she is a multiple winner of the AnLab from Analog magazine

Saga of the Skolian Empire (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Primary Inversion (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #1)
  • Catch the Lightning (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #2)
  • The Last Hawk (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #3)
  • The Radiant Seas (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #4)
  • Ascendant Sun (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #5)
  • The Quantum Rose (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #6)
  • Spherical Harmonic (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #7)
  • The Moon's Shadow (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #8)
  • Skyfall (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #9)
  • Schism (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #10; The Triad, #1)

News & Interviews

“But somewhere, sometime, someone must say, ‘Today I will not seek revenge.’ Someone has to say, ‘We will stop’ and mean it, or the bloodshed will go on and on, endless, until we destroy the entire human race.” 1 likes