Start by marking “Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies

Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  110 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Demystifies aquarium setup and maintenanceCombine and care for a wide variety of marine fish and invertebrates

Dive into the colorful world of saltwater fish! This fun, friendly guide gives you easy step-by-step instructions for choosing and caring for these amazing animals. You get the latest on feeding, tank upkeep, filtering systems, maintaining live rock, and preventing
Published February 25th 2011 by For Dummies (first published March 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies

Erin
Mar 27, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book has a number of troubling issues......first, it is rather outdated now - technology has come a long way in the past decade and a half, especially at the hobbyist level. Lighting is a great illustration of this. Of the options listed in the book (tungsten, fluorescent, power compact fluorescent, mercury vapor, and metal halide), only two are used seriously today: metal halide and T5 fluorescent lighting (as opposed to T12, a difference that is not even discussed in this book!). In addit ...more
Beth
Oct 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What would I have done without this book?! It's a very clear step by step manual to set up your own saltwater tank. He tells you which fish to avoid buying and how to be patient. Endless list of advice which I took upon on every one of it. I have the book right by my aquarium and I look it up very often just to make sure I am doing it right. Very highly recommended for beginner saltwater aquarist!!!
David Ward
Feb 05, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aquariums
Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies by Gregory Skomal (Wiley 2002)(639.342). This is a fairly thorough overview of the issues surrounding the set-up and maintenance of salt-water aquaria. Be warned, though, that it is from the popular”...for Dummies”series, so how thorough can it be? My rating: 4/10, finished 2004.
Beth
Mar 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a great beginners book, which was exactly what I was looking for. It would have been helpful to have some kind of fish compatibility chart or some other type of chart that would show temperment or compatibility with different types of saltwater set ups. This information was in the book, for the most part, but it would have been helpful to have a quick reference guide.
Michael
Jul 31, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking to start an aquarium.
Shelves: justdone
Generally this is a very simple but thorough guide to the world of salt water. The author is both informative and witty and covers a complete range of skills as well as steps and guides and information about setting up, maintaining, and understanding salt water aquariums. I highly recommend it.
Emily
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It covers he basics and helps get a basic understanding of marine fish keeping. It also helped solidify and help me to better understand things I already knew from school and from my Job working at a public aquarium.
Nichole
Jan 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a great introductory book to the complicated world of saltwater aquariums. It gives the basics about all aspects of the hobby and provides comfort that it actually is a do-able hobby, despite all the warnings you'll get from your friends and family.
Sherry
Jun 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite informative without bein boring. But it has probably informed me that I'm not ready for a saltwater tank. No matter how cute Nemo is.
Ms. Brownell
Sep 17, 2014
Mike
Jan 18, 2018
Carrie Bradley
rated it did not like it
Jul 16, 2016