Start by marking “Mrs. Armitage and the Big Wave” as Want to Read:
Mrs. Armitage and the Big Wave

Mrs. Armitage and the Big Wave (Mrs. Armitage)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  173 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Surf’s up! Mrs. Armitage and her dog, Breakspear, paddle out to surf the Big Wave. Soon the kindly Mrs. Armitage notices that Breakspear’s little legs are getting tired--so she swims off and returns with an inflatable desert island for him to rest on. Then she notices that Breakspear looks a little hot--so she swims off again and brings back an umbrella. Soon this silly pa
Published April 15th 1998 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published June 23rd 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Armitage and the Big Wave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Armitage and the Big Wave

Roxy
Oct 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
All I can say is it was definitely fun to read. All about Mrs. Armitage and her faithful dog Breakspear waiting for a BIG WAVE.

She swam back to the beach a number of times to get different things to make their wait comfortable! By the time they get their big wave, there was plenty of things to keep them comfortable. She saved a girl and caught a big wave, did a few tricks and landed at the beach, celebrated at the cafe and back out to catch another wave. A fun filled short story and amusing to r
Kirsty Rice
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: quentin-blake
Mrs Armitage and the Big Wave is a humorous story involving the main character (Mrs Armitage) and her dog (Breakspear) waiting in the ocean for a big wave to come so they could surf. As they were waiting for such a long time Mrs Armitage kept swimming back to shore to get supplies, such as food and a megaphone. Thanks to her many trips back and forth to the beach, Mrs Armitage had the tools required to help a little girl who was in trouble in the ocean and deliver her back to her parents. The st ...more
Chandra
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Can you say "surfs up"!
Dolly
Dec 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a humorous look at surfing. The storyline reminded us of a funnier version of Not the Piano, Mrs. Medley! The illustrations are very funny and we liked how skillfully Mrs. Armitage was able to navigate her collection of surfboards, floaties and what-not. We enjoyed reading this story together and we will look for other Mrs. Armitage books at our local library.
Jack Kirby and the X-man
I was inspired to read this after reading Mrs. Armitage Queen of the Road, which I liked because of the humour of a proper older lady becoming a bikie. This book lacks that humour, she's never portrayed as a 'proper' lady in this book (the book opens with her in her 'surfing kit').

It also struck me that Mrs Armitage really needs to find a better surf break - it takes forever for the Big Wave to come.

In all acceptable, but nothing fantastic.
Michael Mccaul
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Mrs Armitage is waiting for the big wave to come in the Californian sun so she can surf aboard it. As she waits she collects things to make the wave even more special. She encounters other surfers, and fish that give her ideas of how toThe story is a great read for younger children who could explore what they might take with them on a trip. It could also serve as an starting point to talk about the beach as a topic. This would be a good book for anyone in ks1.
Claudia Haines
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recently read this to a crowd of preschoolers and parents at story hour. It has all of the elements required to entertain and engage a group of rowdy youngsters and the tag along adults; silliness, a rowdy old lady, a dog, heroism, and repetition which allows the kids to help tell the story. This is a must-own, not just a must-read.
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Mrs. Armitage and her dog Breakspear are at the beach to catch a Big Wave surfing. They paddle out and wait and wait and while they are waiting Mrs. Armitage keeps thinking of things they need to make the wait better. So, she goes back and forth from beach to surf bringing a variety of things to help them wait for the Big Wave.

Kooky and fun illustrations.
Amanda
Apr 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-book
This book I really didn't like nor dislike. To me this book wasn't very interesting but to some students this book may be. I could see using this book was a prediction book possibly for students to guess what the woman and dog need next. I didn't particular like the illustrations either.
Kate B
Sep 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Variation on a theme of adding to modes of transport; this time a surfboard rather than bicycle.
Rachel
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is fantastic. Such a fun story and the pictures are wonderful!
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Dec 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Mrs. Armitage and her dog, Breakspear, go out to the beach to catch the big wave. As they wait, they discover they need a few things...

Fun story. Blake's illustrations are amazing as usual.
Robin
Apr 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
A quirky woman, her faithful dog, and a fun beach story. Endearing to me because she reminds me of dear Liz.
Kate
  • Mr. Christmas
  • Let the Wind Speak
  • Avocado Baby
  • Augustus and His Smile
  • I Love Guinea Pigs (Read and Wonder Books)
  • Josephine Wants to Dance
  • The Paris Review Book for Planes, Trains, Elevators, and Waiting Rooms
  • Sleepy Bears
  • The Art of Imperfection: Simple Ways to Make Peace with Yourself
  • Let's Go Home, Little Bear
  • Sneaky Chef: How to Cheat on Your Man (in the Kitchen!): Hiding Healthy Foods in Hearty Meals Any Guy Will Love
  • The Man Whose Mother Was a Pirate
  • When the Moon Forgot
Quentin Saxby Blake, CBE, FCSD, RDI, is an English cartoonist, illustrator and children's author, well known for his collaborations with writer Roald Dahl.

Education
Blake was educated at Chislehurst and Sidcup Grammar School. His English teacher, JH Walsh, influenced his ambition to become involved in literature. His first published drawing was for the satirical magazine Punch, at the age of 16. He
More about Quentin Blake