Start by marking “The Very Busy Spider (World of Eric Carle (Philomel Books))” as Want to Read:
The Very Busy Spider (World of Eric Carle (Philomel Books))

The Very Busy Spider (World of Eric Carle (Philomel Books))

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  33,484 Ratings  ·  645 Reviews
Eric Carle's The Very Busy Spider has been a favorite way for parents to teach young children about determination and persistence for more than 25 years. Now this classic story - with its delightful farm animals and the spider's tactile, raised web - comes to a new, oversized board book format, perfect for storytime or for playtime. The extra-large pages will invite childr ...more
Board book, 24 pages
Published March 3rd 2011 by Philomel Books (first published 1984)

Archit Ojha
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorites in the series!
Such a busy spider it was! Adorable execution!
Russell
Jun 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the better murder stories I've read in some time. Entertainingly illustrated, with a cast of memorable characters that draw you further into the tale. Like in Prince of Thorns, you find yourself rooting for the villain by the end, tracing your finger along their beautiful instrument of death.
Katharine
"The Very Busy Spider" is about a spider that spends all day spinning her web. A variety of different farm animals approach her and ask if she wanted to go do something with them that they enjoy doing. Each time, the spider didn't answer because she was busy spinning her web. In the end, after she finishes her web, she catches and fly and an owl asks who made this beautiful web. But, again, the spider didn't answer because she fell asleep, as it had been a very long day spinning her web. I think ...more
Pooja
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
Such inspirational book!!!

I liked this busy spider way too much!

I'm going to be focused and dedicated like it!

Hannah Notess
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech
An important message about work-life balance for web developers.

If you develop webs all day and don’t take breaks to socialize you will go to bed not having had any social interaction. Don’t do this!
Mandy
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite children's books!
Melanie Kilsby
Eric Carle is a classic to me and I love almost all of them!!!
Thankfully, my kids do too :D
Shawn
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Here is a very cute story about a spider building her web and all her friends trying to invite her to do other things. Done in water colors, this is a wonderfully bright book.
Jubaira Chowdhury
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book “The Very Busy Spider” is a classic picture book within children’s literature. The story involves a spider going about her business of spinning herself a spider web. However, throughout her spinning she encounters several different animals who try to distract her by asking her to do an activity with them. She does not engage in any of these requests and is determined to complete her task and ends up producing a beautiful silky spider web and she even catches a fly.

I enjoyed this book as
Victoria
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ian
I just hate spiders, even workaholic ones.
Vy Nguyen
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nina  C.
"Testet" /leste den ut på niesen min på to år, og den falt i god jord(leste den på norsk vel å merke). Tror den er midt i blinken for 2-3åringer. :)
Lauren
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book to a reception class the other day and then brought it for my boys! Read it to them today and they loved it! Good one for teaching Little’s farm animal sounds :)
Manal Cheikh
Cute story. The textured webs are fun to watch. This is a story about several things. #1. A spider who is so busy building her web that she has no time to talk to anyone. #2. Its a story about hard work paying off, and eventually getting a lovely rest at the end of a long day. #3. It teaches young children animal sounds, as well as animal behaviors. We learn that spiders build webs to catch flies in among other things.
Shifa Ahmed
May 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The very busy spider by Eric Carle

This book is about a spider that spins a web with her silky thread on a fence post near a farmyard.

Different farm animals come along and invite her to go and do different things with them, but the spider does not answer, as she is too busy spinning her web.
‘Neigh! Neigh! Said the horse ‘want to go for a ride?’ But the spider doesn’t answer. She is too busy spinning her web.

This book gives the children the opportunity to learn about different animals, the sounds
Aug 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a great book for early readers. You can not only read it, but you can also feel it by touching the web. This simple story conveys lots of important information. It is a perfect introduction to learning about different kinds of animals and an opportunity to copy the sounds they make. The story begins one early morning when the spider starts to spin her web. Various animals such as the pig, the horse, the cat or the cow try to interrupt and invite her to join their typical activities, but sh ...more
Melissa Talley
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidlit
I love, love, love the illustrations of this book. Partly because I love Eric Carles work, but the fact that you can feel the book is very neat. In this story the farm animals come through the barn to talk to the spider but she doesn't answer because she is busy spinning her web. This is a good book for younger children because of the repetitive text of the animals asking questions and the spider not responding.
The web is raised making this a great book for busy hands or the visually impaired.
Alysia Abbott
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a warm evening so we opened all the windows for dinner and ate shredded carrots, mashed potatoes, and burgers in the low light. A spirited discussion followed about The Very Busy Spider (Eric Carle), which Finn had motioned for me to read (a new favorite of his). Annabel asserts the book has no real point. I say it's all about the spider's industry. While all the other animals want to goof off (napping cat, mud-rolling pig, rock-jumping goat) the spider is the only community member who wo ...more
Anna
Wow, these illustrations are awesome! My sister pointed this book out to me in the library -- I'm embarrassed to say I had never heard of it. It's a really cute story to read to kids to demonstrate the importance of hard work and to introduce various kinds of animals. I like that you can actually touch the pages and you'll feel the spider's web. Very nice touch!
Jon Gustafson
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story can be used to teach the importance of focusing or more explicitly how spiders build webs to trap mosquitoes. The text is quite accessible for younger readers and introduces students to many different animals who try to tempt the spider away from her work. The repetition of "the spider didn't answer, she was very busy spinning her web" helps students build some high frequency words.
June
Jan 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book for identifying animals and imitating their sounds. The spider thread is lightly embossed on each page, allowing a fine texture that can be felt with the fingertips. This makes it very interesting to "feel" the spider web develop on each consecutive page. The tiny size of this book makes it perfect as a bring along anywhere.
Drew Graham
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
A spider is busily working on her web, despite all the distractions the other farm animals provide.

Now THIS is an Eric Carle book that I can get behind. I've decided I really like this The Very series of his. This is a simple but effective story about diligence and results, and the tactile element is a nice touch (pardon the pun).
Matt
Nov 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another favorite of my little one. This book taught her how to make animal sounds. Plus, I think she likes the way daddy gives each barnyard animal a funny voice. :-) I like the message of sticking to your goals and not letting distractions get to you (I still need to learn this sometimes).
Candace Offutt
This is a book with a lot of repetition, so it is very good for teaching predictions to young children. Also, Eric Carle does a great job making colorful books that children love.
Patsy Parker
I was first introduced to this book when I was a teacher's aide in my college's child study center. I have loved Eric Carle's books ever since!

I love his style and especially his art work. :)
Paige crouch
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The very busy spider was about spinning in the spider web
Jan 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: preschool-lit
Not as much story involved as with "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" or The Grouchy Ladybug", but still a nice offering. Young kids love to touch the raised "spiderwebs" on the pages.
Alicia
I have read this one to Soren quite a lot. It is classic Carle. Fly gets eaten by the spider in the end, JSYK.
Kristine
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Eric Carle books and I definitely recommend them for little kids. This book is no exception.
Ebono1
Jul 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, easy-to-read
with such few words, children are able to help recreate the story. It also explains to the children that no everyday we can play play play, but get work done as well.
Watch Despicable Me 3 Movie [1080p] FUll HD.Online Free 1 1 Jul 11, 2017 01:02AM
  • Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See?
  • My Big Animal Book
  • Llama Llama Misses Mama
  • Tumble Bumble
  • Where's My Teddy?
  • Over in the Meadow
  • Muncha! Muncha! Muncha!
  • Mr. Gumpy's Outing
  • Piggies
  • Good Night, Gorilla
  • Where is the Green Sheep?
  • Moo, Baa, La La La!
  • Eating the Alphabet
  • Big Fat Hen
Eric Carle (born June 25, 1929) is a children's book author and illustrator, most famous for his book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, which has been translated into over 30 languages. Since The Very Hungry Caterpillar was published in 1969, Eric Carle has illustrated more than seventy books, many best sellers, most of which he also wrote, and more than 71 million copies of his books have sold around ...more
More about Eric Carle